NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jul 112007

G6 6-cyl

Purchased new Pontiac G6 2006 on June 2, 2007, 72 miles. July 2007, problems with cruise control. Contacted reliable Pontiac with problem. Never returned my call. Took it to thompson's placerville, acted like I did not know how to work a cruise control. Continued to have electrical problems throughout the vehicle. Spoke with david O'keef, Pontiac customer service (866) 790-5600, ext 31952, regarding lemon law. I took the vehicle into thompsons on the following dates (there were several more, but I did not receive an invoice from the dealer): 7/11/07; 8/10/07; 10/05/07; 10/8/07; 10/20/07; 11/16/07; 12/12/07; 4/8/08; 4/23/08 5/14/08; 5/16/08; 5/31/08; 11/11/08; throughout 2009 and 2010; 4/28/11; 9/6/11; 9/14/11; 12/9/11; and 12/14/11. Pulled over by chp several times for brake lights being on, but I was not braking, officer stated vehicle too dangerous to be on road. On 9/6/11, a friend referred me to motortrend recalls. Recall date for air bags was 10/31/2006 and exterior lighting: Brake lights 1/30/2009. Steering needed to be replaced in 2009. I was never contacted by GM or reliable Pontiac. Vehicle was a costly, safety hazard through 12/14/11. Still have issues. Extremely inconvenient to keep taking it to the dealer. Now I know why I was being flipped off by other drivers on the road, they thought I was "brake" checking them.

- Placerville, CA, USA

Mar 282014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving the brake lights continuously stayed illuminated and once the brakes were engaged the brake lights turn off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Thorton, CO, USA

Apr 012014

G6

TL the contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, the brake lights on the vehicle would either illuminate randomly or fail to illuminate completely when the brake pedal was depressed. The dealer stated that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 101,756. Jcc

- Greenfield , WI, USA

Dec 042010

G6

TL * the contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the rear brake lamps and the brake lights on the spoiler were not operating properly. Upon pressing the accelerator pedal the lights illuminated and when the contact applied the brakes the lights failed to illuminate. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was scheduled for diagnostic testing and to be repaired by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 052012

G6 6-cyl

Everything electrical is shot. It started about two years ago..one by one, everything in the car (electrical) stopped working. Such as.. 1. power lock for the doors doesn't work 2. trunk release button doesn't open the trunk 3. car alarm would go off every time I opened the door (as the door was unlocked) 4. air conditioning stopped working 5. brake lights would illuminate while driving, and would go off when I would brake. 6. brake lights wouldn't illuminate at all sometimes. 7. headlights and/or taillights would go out, or dim randomly 8. push-lock button on each door would go up and down (by itself) as I would be driving, or when the car was parked. (couldn't lock my car doors) because of the exterior lighting issues, I was pulled over twice. I also had my car repaired a couple times (mechanic even called Pontiac for assistance). After the car was fixed, (if possible), the lights would stop properly working again, shortly after being 'repaired'. eventually, I stopped driving the car. I haven't driven the car since February, 2014 (5 months). I don't have the money to continuously get the car fixed (to pass inspection), or pay for safety violations. Therefore, I haven't had a car to drive for 5 months. I had received a letter in the mail (prior to the recall letter in June 2014) stating there was a default with the power steering. I called the number twice. At first, I was told my car issues were not relevant to the default. The second time, (probably a couple months later) I was told that my car was now over the mileage to be covered by the warranty (stated in the letter), and therefore it voided my eligibility to have the repaired by them.

- Hampstead, NH, USA

Jun 052014

G6

The brake lights won't come up when you press them down and then come on when you're moving. Almost caused an accident with a motorcycle behind us.

- Burton, MI, USA

May 012013

G6 6-cyl

Once again GM has issued a recall for 2006 Pontiac G6's for brake light issues, cruise control, and difficulties getting the car out of the park position. The brake lights randomly illuminate while pressing the gas and shut off when I press the brake. The cruise control will randomly disengage as well. Once again my VIN is not covered under the recall. How is this possible? the symptoms I've experienced are identical to the recall. Both recalls to be exact. The same make, model and year of car with identical problems but I'm not covered and the GM reps are no help. This is my second complaint. I know for a fact that there are other people out there having this same problem.

- Riverview , FL, USA

May 012013

G6 6-cyl

At random times the car's tails lights up and stays lite even though the brake petal is being applied. This occurs whether the car is parked or being driven.

- Mokena, IL, USA

May 162014

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights stay lit while the car is in motion. They turn off when the brake is applied.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Apr 222014

G6 6-cyl

The 2006 Pontiac's brake lights go on when the brakes are not applied. The cruise control will not engage, and this occurs intermittently. I'm not sure the brake lights go on when the brakes are applied. This is scary!!!!!!

- Stamford, NY, USA

Jul 252012

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights were on when I wasn't using the brakes and went off when I pressed the brake pedal and sometimes the brake lights just flash on and off when the brakes aren't being used, I've gotten stopped before for this issue. This has been an ongoing, very frustrating, dangerous problem at night and on fwy. I contacted the manufacturer but my vehicle didn't fall under a recall they had previously issued for this very same problem and refused to try to fix the issue. Please have this car manufacturer extend the recall to all 2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Mar 062014

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights stay on while driving and shut off when brake is applied.

- Grand Haven Township, MI, USA

Nov 272013

G6 6-cyl

While driving North on Ohio rte. 33 (at 70 mph) on 11/27/2013, my cruise control disengaged and would not re-engage. I pulled over at the next available exit, shut off my car for about 10 seconds, and restarted. Cruise control was again operational. Given such an isolated incident, I dismissed my concern. However, on 12/16/2013, I was driving eastbound on I-70 (again at 70 mph) and my cruise control again disengaged. I noticed right away and pressed the accelerator to keep my speed up. The three vehicles immediately behind me, including one tractor-trailer and a vehicle operated by one of my family members, noticeably slowed down to add following distance. My cell phone rang, and my passenger answered and put the call on speakerphone. My family members in the vehicle behind me asked what was going on and indicated that my brake lights were still on, although no pressure was being applied. Apparently, this is the reason that the vehicles behind me were slowing down - they thought I was slowing down, even though I was not! I pulled off at the next exit to again shut off and restart my car. My passenger claimed that something smelled hot (possibly brakes), although I cannot offer verification of this. After restarting and re-entering I-70, cruise control worked and brake lights were reported by following family members to work properly.

- Continental, OH, USA

Nov 242013

G6

Traveling West on I-20 and my cruise control disengaged for no reason and I realized my brake lights were on. I tried several things, but the lights would not turn off while I was driving and do not signal to other drivers that I am coming to a stop, which is quite dangerous. I have tried several things including checking recall status, but my VIN was not included in the recall. I also often have issues getting my car out of park, have to press the brake a little harder than normal.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 012011

G6 6-cyl

Most of the time my brake lights are on without pressing the brake pedal. Sometimes the lights are on when I start my vehicle and sometimes they come on while driving. When the brake lights turn on they generally do not turn off and I drive around with brake light always on. Sometimes I've been told that when the brake lights are on while driving and I begin to actually brake, the brake lights turn off. When the brake lights are on while driving the cruise control will not engage. There have been instances where I set my cruise control and it suddenly disengages and I have been told by people following my vehicle that this is when the brake lights turn on without me hitting the pedal. I have also noticed that when the brake lights are on when I start the vehicle that it is extremely hard to shift my car out of park.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Sep 052013

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 has proven issues with the brake light system. Periodically, but often, the brake lights illuminate while I'm driving without me pressing the brake pedal. Whenever I actually press the brake pedal, the lights go off! other vehicles have nearly run into the back of me because of this malfunction. I have had the brake sensor replaced, but the problem persists. This is a very dangerous issue and research has confirmed that there are multiple cases of this plague. Please help!

- Deltona, FL, USA

Nov 162013

G6

Brake lights stay on when brakes are not pressed and turn off when brakes are pressed.

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Nov 012008

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are illuminated while driving and when car is in park, without brake being depressed. When brake is actually being depressed, brake lights are not illuminated. Cruise control works intermittently, sometimes going off while driving after being set. Difficult to switch gears out of park at times. Have taken it to mechanic twice. First time had a sensor replaced. Second time had the brake light switch replaced. Problems still not resolved. After seeing a previous recall in 2009 for this same issue I checked into it and my VIN number is not included in that recall. Driving with children in my car, it is a major concern for me, especially with the brake light issue. There are many times when people almost rear end us because of this issue. I hope that another recall is issued soon to correct this problem before people get seriously injured or killed as a result. Extremely dangerous malfunction!

- Rushville, IN, USA

Oct 092013

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights stay on without the brake pedal being pushed on. When the brake pedal is pushed, the brake lights turn off and other drivers do not know that I am slowing down. There have been several instances that I have been nearly rear ended. There is a recall for this problem but my VIN number is not covered under that recall.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 072013

G6 6-cyl

I am experiencing a problem with my brake lights intermittently staying on when the brake light isn't pressed and then turning off when the brake pedal is pressed. My cruise control will randomly stop working and it will take a period of time before it will work again. I am also having an issue getting out of park sometimes. It seems I have to press down incredibly hard on the break pedal to shift it into gear. I began to research these problems trying to figure out what the cause could be. I didn't have to look long because I was flooded with complaints from people with the exact same problems with similar if not identical cars. I found out there was a recall on the 2005 and 2006 G6's but of course my VIN wasn't covered. In fact, I talked to a customer service rep from GM and specifically asked if there were recalls of the 2005 2006 G6's for this problem and verbatim I received "not to my knowledge". I just finished talking with that GM rep less than 10 minutes ago. How is it possible that a customer service rep working for GM hasn't heard about this recall? I'm frustrated by the runaround I got with the GM reps and in the end I still have to take it in for a diagnostic and pay for it out of pocket. This recall needs to be extended to other VIN's.

- Tampa, FL, USA