NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Sep 162013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights stay on while driving, but they go off when the brakes are applied. The cruise control works intermittently also. That is, the cruise cannot be set at times and when it is set, it will just go out for no reason and can't be reset.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Aug 222013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights are illuminating while driving without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal is pushed the brake lights turn off. The cruise control will turn on but it will not engage.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 012009

G6 6-cyl

I purchased this Pontiac G6 in 2008 used. At the time, the vehicle had approximately 30,000 miles. Within the first year I noticed my cruise control would stop working. At the time I was unaware that my brake lights were also malfunctioning. I realized this malfunction after being notified by a random person driving behind me on the road. She notified me that when I pressed the brake my lights would not illuminate and when I was not pressing the brake pedal, they were illuminating. A complete reversal. After some research, I realized this was a common problem and there was a recall issued. When I contacted my local dealership I was notified that although my car was the same make and model, it was a gtp and was not covered in the recall. Eventually the dealership decided to perform the recall procedures which only temporarily corrected the problem. Since that original fix, I have had the brake module changed three or four times, taken to two several dealerships and also to a trusted mechanic. No one can get the problem corrected. I am now told there is a chance it is the body control module. I am so tired of spending money to correct a defect in this vehicle with on guarantee of a fix. This car is dangerous to drive and General Motors needs to correct this problem. Updated 09/10/13

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Aug 112013

G6

Recall no. 80317 to add dielectric grease is not working!!!! the brake lights are illuminated while driving and brake pedal is not depressed. The brake lights are not illuminated when brake pedal is depressed. This is a safety issue!!!!!!!!

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Oct 252010

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights stayed on while car was moving and went out when brake pedal was depressed.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Aug 072013

G6 6-cyl

Brakes are illuminated when foot is not on brake pedal and brake lights are off when foot is applied at the brake pedal. This is a safety issue!!!!! if needed to apply brakes in a fast manner a following car could rear-end the Pontiac G6. Obviously I'm not the only person with this issue. So why hasn't something been done to make Pontiac recall the brake sensor relay before people are involved in car accidents" the "recall" to add dielectric lubricant to the connector to prevent corrosion is not working!!!!! I should not have to worry about when my brakes lights are illuminated automatically. I have been to the dealership numerous times to have dielectric grease put on the connector. I really hope that the NHTSA can push this issue with the 2006 Pontiac G6 brake lights being illuminated while brake pedal is not pressed. Pontiac recalled the first 93 manufactured Pontiac G6's for 2006 but what about the others that have the same problem???????" exterior lighting:brake lights recall for 2006 Pontiac G6 recall announced: January 30 2009nhtsa reference: #09V036000number affected: 8,012summary: GM is recalling 8,012 my 2005-2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles. The brake lamps may not operate properly because of corrosion in a wiring connector. Corrosion in the connector could cause the brake lamps to illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, or the lamps may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. In addition, the cruise control may not engage, and greater brake pedal force may be required to shift the vehicle out of park. Consequence: Brake lamps that are not operating properly may not warn a driver in a following vehicle of the braking status and could lead to a crash without prior warning. Fix: Dealers will apply a dielectric lubricant to the connector to prevent corrosion. The recall began on February 17, 2009.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jul 312013

G6 4-cyl

With the engine running and the transmission not in park, the applied emergency brake would not prevent the vehicle from drifting forward nor backward. I was informed, at a GMC dealership, that the rear brake calibers had seized in a partially engaged position -- so the brakes were dragging while the car was being driven _ and _ the emergency was useless. The repair cost was over $ $500. The car had a rear brake replacement job about 1,000 miles before this problem, and supposedly the caliber problem wasn't apparent then.

- Allison Park, PA, USA

Feb 012013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights turn on even when I'm not braking, sometimes don't turn on when I am braking. Also, cruise control stopped working.

- Parrish, FL, USA

Dec 012012

G6 6-cyl

My car is very difficult to shift from park. My brake lights don't work when I push the brake and flash sometimes when I don't push the brake. My cruise control won't set and if it does set, it cuts off with out warning on the highway.

- Liberty, TX, USA

Jun 152012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are illuminating when I do not press the brakes...does not illuminate when I do press the brakes, this has resulted in me being rear-ended and has lead to several near accidents. Additionally, the cruise control will not set and it is often difficult for me to put my car into gear without pressing the break all the way to the floor or without restarting my car. The car doesn't always catch the first time I try to start it, the power outlets now are not working in addition the stereo resetting itself and the windshield wiper arm constantly popping off.

- Middle River, MD, USA

Mar 012012

G6 6-cyl

I have had my 2006 Pontiac G6 since March 2011. I love the car but really wish I would of looked up reviews on it before purchasing! for the past year and a half I have had nothing but problems with my brake lights. I have already spent so much money trying to get it fixed! the problem is when I'm driving my brake lights are on and when I hit the brakes the lights turn off. Also the cruise control rarely works because of this and sometimes it is hard to shift out of park. Since my car was not in the previous recall even though it had the exact same problems, I have paid twice now to bring it to the local GM dealer (cbg) which they applied the lubricant to wiring going to the BCM! it works for a couple of months then I have the problem again! I was told the second time I went that it was going to cost 400$ to get a new body control module because that was the problem. It seems like it is getting worse and worse because now sometimes the brake lights just stay on and have no affect when I hit the brakes. Honestly I have already spent so much money on trying to get this fixed between GM and local mechanics that I just can't afford to spend the 400$ and it still not fix!! I finally have this car paid off so it would be crazy to trade in and get another bill. Having a 10 month old I don't even feel safe driving him in my car out of fear that I am gonna get hit because of the brake light issue! something needs to be done because this is obviously a issue with many G6's!

- Leesville, LA, USA

Jul 022013

G6 6-cyl

We were driving to dinner with our neighbors following behind us. I received a phone call from them stating that my brake lights were on when I was driving down the road and then once I would go to stop the brake lights would turn off until I released the brake. I went to use my cruise control and it wouldn't work. Then once we were leaving the restaurant I had trouble getting the car out of park, I had to press extremely hard on the brake to get it to release.

- Trenton, OH, USA

Jul 032013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights on my car turn off when I am stopped and then randomly illuminate when I am driving or parked..

- Shreveport , LA, USA

Jan 012009

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights illuminates when pedal is not engaged, and goes out briefly when engaged my cruise control is not working as well. I became aware of this situation when in for inspection the car failed for the center mount stop light was not working due to burned and melted bulbs and holders. Being told I needed to fix. It became know as to the brake lights turning on when pedal is not engaged. I changed brake switch, problem still continued. I sought info on internet and came upon former recall of this, and recent complaints. I called GM dealer and was informed there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. This is a safety issue and reason for bulb holders melting is from heat from being on all the time, my cruise control going out.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jul 032009

G6

My wife and I own a Pontiac G6 and shortly after the first time we changed the brake pads on the front wheels, the rotors warped. Since the replacement of the first set of rotors we have been through 4 sets of rotors. It seems that the rotors warp within 10 to 20 thousand miles of installing new pads and rotors. Driving style does not seem to be the issue as this is a very common problem with this owners of this model car. Brake shops even say that it is probably the worst car made of brakes. Nothing we can do seems to fix it, aside from not driving the car because the pull from braking is so bad. This is a good car with a horribly engineered braking system.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Jul 022013

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights illuminates when pedal is not engaged, and goes out briefly when engaged. I became aware of this situation when in for inspection the car failed for the center mount stop light was not working due to burned and melted bulbs and holders. Upon being told I needed to replace the whole unit, I took upon myself to get the aftermarket bulb holder and fix myself. Upon completion it became know as to the lights brake light turning on when pedal is not engaged. Changed brake switch, problem still continued. Seek info on internet and came upon former recall, and recent complaints. Called GM dealer and was informed there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. This is a safety issue and reason for bulb holders melting is from heat from being on all the time.

- West Homestead, PA, USA

Jun 282013

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights come on when my foot is nowhere near the brake pedal. I will be on the gas and the brake lights will either be flashing or just staying on. Or vice versa, my foot will be on the brake pedal and my brake lights wont be on. It is hard to press the brake pedal in when I go to shift out of park. My cruise control also doesn't work at times.

- Bloomington , IN, USA

Aug 232009

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights would stay on when your foot was not on the brake and turn off when the brake was applied. This car was not involved in the original recall so I had it fixed at a GM dealer twice. It now as of 6/21/13 has the same condition again.

- Richmond, MI, USA

Jun 072013

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the brake pedal illuminated when it was not engaged. The contact only became aware of the failure when she was stopped by the police. The vehicle was taken a mechanic for inspection and advised the contact that the defective brake switch caused the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 88,000.

- Homewood , AL, USA

Jun 172012

G6 6-cyl

First noticed that I was unable to shift from park. My cruise control would not engage or would shut off on its own while using. Realized my brake lights would stay on while driving and pedal was not depressed. Once I got the lights to turn off would not light up when pedal was depressed. First noticed this last summer but was not consistent. Started to act up again in the last few days.

- Rothschild , WI, USA