NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 4 of 4) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 112013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights come on when the pedal is not being depressed.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Jun 012013

G6 6-cyl

Transmission feels as though it enter overdrive- brakes feel unresponsive and if responsive only slightly, and continues to accelerate with the transmission stuck. Car will eventually stop when emergency brake is pulled, and then the transmission will not shift out of drive. Steering wheel will become locked as well. After multiple attempts of turning the vehicle off and on, it will eventually unlock the transmission and will allow to be shifted into park. Vehicle is an automatic.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Oct 302012

G6 6-cyl

I was attending my aunts funeral in hackensack, NJ. I reside in Maryland, so its about a 5 hour drive for me. Half way there, my sister called me and asked why was I riding my brakes. I told her, I was not riding my breaks. She informs me that my brake lights flash all the time. I could not believe her. Coming home from the funeral, we witnessed the same thing. Then several days later, I could not get the car out of park. I had to sit at foodlion for about twenty minutes, before I was able to get the car in gear. I called GM 800-620-7668 and tried to issue a complaint. I was told there was no recall. But I happen to see this issue all over the internet. My issue is still occurring, again I called GM and I was brushed off. I feel this issue should be corrected by GM and not my bank account.

- Berlin, MD, USA

May 162013

G6 4-cyl

I was on my way to a softball game, was going 65 on the fast lane, and all of sudden I read power steering on the radio, the car was still on but the gas didn't want to go and my wheel was tensed, there was a lot of traffic but I managed to get it to the left shoulder without causing an accident. The car was towed and has been parked ever since.

- Robstown , TX, USA

Jan 032011

G6 6-cyl

Same complaint as others with Pontiac G6 and brake lights. While I am driving or in park my brake lights remain on. While braking, my brake lights go out. Fortunately, I have had no accident related to this problem, but other drivers have stopped to tell me this is occurring. I have had a couple of close calls while driving in work time traffic where vehicles tend to be almost bumper to bumper and the other drivers do not know that I am braking because my brake lights are out. Additionally, the cruise control works sporadically. I have reported this to my local dealership and called the customer service department at Pontiac and neither acknowledge this known problem. When this first started a couple of years ago, the brake lights would work sporadically. The dealership said they could not replicate the problem therefore they could not repair it.

- Benton, AR, USA

Mar 302013

G6 6-cyl

Brakes lights will of the sudden come on, deactivating cruise control and brake lights will stay on continously. Brake lights will go off with the tap of the pedal but will then come back on.

- Iowa Falls, IA, USA

Feb 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the brake light switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the remedy failed to correct the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic and the technician stated that the body control module was defective. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 76,000 and the current mileage was 77,000.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Feb 262013

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the when depressing the brake pedal, the brake light failed. The contact also stated that when she took her foot off the brake pedal, the light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Beloyt, WI, USA

Feb 182013

G6 6-cyl

The air bag light has illuminated and I see there was a recall for other G6 2206 but not for my VIN number. I have the same problem as the others that were recalled. Also I am having an extremely difficult time getting my car out of park. I have to push the brake with a tremendous amount of force and hope that is comes out of park. Again G6 2006 was recalled and my vehicle does not fall into those VIN numbers. It is extremely frustrating to know that safety and faulty pieces are not covered under a recall that same year model and make were covered. Please let me know what I can do besides contacting an attorney to have these items fixed under the recalls that were issued for G6 2006 Pontiac. Thank you

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Feb 062013

G6 6-cyl

As many owners of this vehicle are experiencing..trouble getting the vehicle in gear from park, have to step on the brakes to the floor. Brake lights work in the reverse direction and 3rd brake light stays on when foot is not on the please..this is a matter of safety and may cause injury or VIN number was not listed on the GM recall. My VIN number was about 1,000 cars after the recall.I am going to a GM dealer and I have been told a new brake pedal comes with the brake sensor..I do not want to throw a ton of money not knowing the exact problem.

- Essex, MD, USA

Dec 262012

G6 6-cyl

My 2006 Pontiac G6 steering wheel moves back and forth by its self. When I'm driving the power steering stops working and becomes very hard to steer.

- Cameron, WV, USA

Sep 142012

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights are defective. Working in reverse order! lights are illuminated when not pressing brake. And are off when pressing brakes. It is hazardous!

- Bear, DE, USA

Oct 052012

G6 6-cyl

Report from driver behind us at traffic light indicated that the brake lights were on when moving down the highway but went off when stopping at traffic light. Close call at traffic light a couple of days before when nearly hit from behind. Driver missed us by driving off of the road onto burm.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Sep 032012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights not working properly, have to press brake pedal extremely hard to get out of park, and cruise control not functioning properly as well. Brake lights illuminate whenever they want to. Brake lights may or may not work when brake pedal pressed. Also the brake lights come on at random times while driving witch, could result in a fatality...... G.M. is saying my car should not be affected due to my VIN #. if that's the case why is my car having the exact stated problems in the recall. NHTSA # is 09V036000.. thanks for any help you can send my way....

- Longview, TX, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake warning light was illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where the mechanic replaced the brake stop switch, cruise control switch and the turn signal switch. Also, the connectors were cleaned and the failure was resolved. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and the contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 09V036000 (exterior lighting:brake lights); however the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 87,000. The current mileage was 90,288.

- Vestaburg, PA, USA

Oct 012009

G6 4-cyl

The first instance that I was made aware of this issue was when a police officer pulled me over to question the brake lights issue of them not coming on while I was stopped. It appeared that they were just not working, however the issue initially went away and I was not made aware of the brake lights working intermittently for a year after that. Occasionally other drivers have signaled that there is something amiss with the brake lights. However, it appears that now that the car is at 100,000+ miles, the issue with the brake lights is now constant. The issue does not disappear and reappear. We have now had another driver follow the car to test the brake lights, and it is exactly that the lights are on continuously while driving and occasionally turn off and then when the brakes are pressed, the lights turn off, and so on. It appears that the contact is incorrect between the brake pedal and the brake lighting. It appears that the exact issue that I am experiencing is described by: NHTSA campaign id number: 09V036000 however, my car's VIN is not included in the stated impacted population, however the manufacturer does state that the issue could afflict more cars, but that the primary period in which this manufacturing issue occurred was addressed. I would argue that point as it appears that this car is impacted by this without any recourse.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 012009

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake light remained illuminated and caused the cruise control to fail. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where the internal shifter assembly was replaced however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and denied assistance with the repair because the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V036000 (exterior lighting: Brake lights). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 159,000.

- Dry Ridge , KY, USA

May 312012

G6 6-cyl

Vehicle started to make a clunking sound in the brakes and every once and a while having difficulties removing it from park. Shortly after these problems started the cruise control stopped working. Little did we know that the brake lights were working in reverse all this time! when your on the gas the brake lights are on when you hit the brakes the brake lights go out! this is incredibly dangerous GM has issued a recall for this same issue for the 05 G6 model but none of the others, a simple google search shows how common this is with the G6 line from 05-09! we would have had no clue this was going on if I hadn't followed my fiance one night and noticed it other wise we would have found out when some one hit us due to the poor brakes or computer of the Pontiac G6.

- Falls Church , VA, USA

Sep 232009

G6 6-cyl

This Pontiac G6 was taken to dealer on three occasions for the same complaint. 9/23/2009. The first occasion, the vehicle's cruise control did not work and the gearshift was very difficult to move out of park. On one occasion the car had to be left at work site as gear shift could not be moved until the next morning. Last, several people told me that brake lights were on while driving and turned off when applying the brakes; all the symptoms of the recall #09V036000 second occasion: It was taken to dealer again 6/20/2011 for the same symptoms the dielectric lubricant suggested in the recall was applied both times and complaints cured. Third occasion: The vehicle is going into dealer 6/11/2012 for the same complaints..

- Northville, MI, USA