2006 Pontiac G6 brakes NHTSA complaints: Service Brakes, Hydraulic

NHTSA — Service Brakes, Hydraulic Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Mar 192009

G6

While traveling to work on the highway at about 65mph. I tapped on the brake and turned the wheel to avoid an object in the road. When I released pressure off the brake pedal the wheels were all locked and the brakes were still engaged. I slid out of control and was unable to get the brakes to release pressure off the wheels. I finally came to stop by hitting the concrete median. If it would have been a busier time of day I would have been in a horrific accident. I feared for my life during this incident. There was no indications leading up to what happened. I as many others also have the loud clunking noises in the front, it sounds if my front end is going to fall out. I am afraid to drive it at this point as the brakes still feel as though they are partially engaged. Given the date of occurrence I have not at the chance to take it in and have it evaluated, I will be doing that this week.

- Cabot, AR, USA

May 042007

G6

Pontiac G6 3.5L I have had this car 2 1/2 years bout it with 15,00 miles have had nothing but problems the steering clunking noise is the worst now have had a new column put in still makes the noise have had the rotors replaced, the brakes replaced at 28,000 now when im driving im hearing a clunking noise going over bumps when im turning there is a clicking noise when I push on my brakes I keep getting a shimmy after I put new rotors on and like the car have owned Pontiac before but now don't know if ill buy another with so many problems with this one.

- Rock Springs, WY, USA

Nov 172008

G6

I have had this car for almost 3 years. It squeaks like the plastic is rubbing against each other. The brakes have not stopped squeaking. I have had them redone about 4 times. The black rubber strip is rotting. There is a leak on the passenger side coming through the little square right about the seat belt. My warranty is up and my extended warranty does not carry over to fix any of this. My car upholstery was already redone once due to a flooding and I paid for that. Now the backseat smells like mold. The handle on the passenger side of the car has been replaced twice because it keeps coming off. This is the worst investment I have ever made. I just found out that the power steering is actually electric. I hate it.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 052008

G6

I have had a 2006 Pontiac G6 for 6 months now and have had the following problems. One month after I bought it I have to have the steering rack repaired/replaced. Now I am having the ball joint and control arm replaced. The rotors also need replaced. None of this was covered by warranty. I have heard of other G6 owners who have had the same problems and of course was not covered by warranty.

- Mingo Junction, OH, USA

Aug 072007

G6

Mr. Did evasive manuevers at 65 mph to avoid deadly collision with fully loaded senior citizen van by a driver with a cell phone. Steering wheel was very loose, brakes pedals were very easily depressed, none of the front air-bags deployed and car seats did not lock. Mr. Hit median concrete at 60 mph. Ambulance and emergency room dictated, "you all very lucky to have survived." 3rd party administrator(esis) counter claims mr.. that because Mr. Collided with median sideways the air-bags did not deploy. Mr. Argues that front driver portion of car hit median first, air bags should have deployed and seat belts should have locked. 3rd party administrator counters. Because there is no proof we cannot claim such fact. She (3rd party) is insisting on us to sign medical release forms and submit pictures of car. Mr. Has advised that car is repaired and has been sold. Confusion arises when dealer agrees that car has sensors and collision shop did not indicate any sensors. Mr. Is confused whether stabili-trak or some other systems should be in place to have prevented the collision with median and under the tire sensors should have been in place. If any system (stabili-trak or other) were in place, the whole accident could have been prevented. Esis-claim #660283.

- Mercedes, TX, USA

Sep 032008

G6

Gear shift controller gets stuck in drive. Dealership said it was the brake light system, that the lights were not working when pressing the brakes.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Feb 102008

G6

Continuous problems with brakes and rotors on this vehicle since it was 3 months old. Have had rotors machined 2 times by dealership so far and the brakes completely failed on Feb 10th of this year and we rear ended a mini van in front of us.. the dealer said that they could not find anything wrong and said there is nothing they could do. Now our rotors are needing replaced at under 18 K miles and the dealer wants a lot to replace them. Have been online looking for other people with the same problem and have seen many people with the same issue. Why won't Pontiac do a recall on this?

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 142006

G6

Clunking in the steering problems with the brakes.

- Salineville, OH, USA