NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 9) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Sep 132016

My brake lights are not working properly. They stay on and turn off when I press the brakes and randomly turn on and off as I drive down the road or even just sitting still. I have had my car serviced and every time it is an issue with BCM. When I was notified of the recall on that issue, I took my car to the dealership, but what they did did not fix the issue. It did, but only temporarily.

- Dolgeville, NY, USA

Jan 012015

Well my break lights stay on while driving down the road. Also I have no cruise control. An when I shift from park to drive it seems like it wants to be stuck unless I push hard on the break pedal. But when I'm driving down the road I hit my breaks an my light goes off an then while driving with out hitting my breaks they turn on. An it's been doing this since last year of 2015.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Jun 152016

The car has barely started from the time that I've purchased it a couple years ago. More recently I got it to start after a few tries and when I got to a red light it cut off and never came back on. I was then stuck in the middle of an intersection. I have my car at a dealership for the third time within the past few months and they're telling me there is an electrical issue with the car after being told it was several other things outside of the electrical. I am also finding that the same make and model has been doing the same to other owners. I refuse to pay for repairs for a car that has never ran properly for me after having it for 2 years.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jul 192016

Takata recall traction control light comes on randomly and check engine light comes on. When driving it shifts really hard if the tc light is on also while driving it trys to stall out. Also randomly all dash light will come on and gauges all go crazy and puts error on the dash where the odometer reading is and then car want start.

- Hudson, NC, USA

Jul 022016

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 35 mph, the engine and power steering warning lights illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The contact had to use force to turn the steering wheel. In addition, the doors unlocked and locked repeatedly. The contact felt that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The dealer was notified, but no repairs were made. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 182016

Looses power steering and all gages go to zero and rapidly fluctuate, then vehicle stalls

- Jamestown, NY, USA

May 212016

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the lights on instrument panel flickered and the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the ignition was turned off and back on and the vehicle operated as intended. The contact stated that the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.....updated 07/05/16 the consumer stated while driving, the steering wheel suddenly became stiff. Consequently, the consumer was unable control the vehicle and crashed into a ditch. The consumer was injured. Updated 07/11/16.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 072016

This car has been nothing, but a dangerous headache. I was pulling out of my driveway and the brake fell off.. glad no traffic was coming. Could not stop.. the a week later I am driving and the tire blew. Last weekend driving and lost all power. Not only did we get locked inside the car the serpentine belt was shriveled in pieces. It was horrible. Tell the dealer cause I'm making payments and they act as if the could careless.. the car has never been inspected. I had it looked at and was told the back accel is going to crash in and the electrical is bad it can cause a fire. Scare to drive it.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 022016

The air bag warning will come on and off during drives. The air bags will turn off and turn on throughout drives. I have a small child now and this really concerns me. Air bag problem has been occurring for a few years now but happens almost every drive now. This happens when car is in motion on a city street, highway, turning and when sitting still. I selected steering because the steering wheel has been replaced by dealership a few years ago from a recall. Electric steering would stop working whenever it wanted to. Never worked normal since it was replaced. This happens when car is in motion on a city street, highway, turning and when sitting still. I also selected electrical because of the rear brake light. It was recalled due to a brake light that may or may not work when applied and took to dealership to have corrected. Since it was looked at we have noticed rear brake lights not working all the time. I've only noticed when sitting still in driveway.

- Noble, OK, USA

Nov 182015

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled and caused the doors to lock independently. The contact was locked inside the vehicle and a tow truck was called to unlock the doors. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Norton, OH, USA

Nov 052015

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact also stated that the exterior lighting failed. The vehicle was restarted and driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 226,000.

- Max Meadow, VA, USA

Sep 032015

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to turn in any direction after numerous attempts. In addition, the gear lever would not shift from the park position. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition cylinder and module would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,697.

- Chester, PA, USA

Aug 312015

Having issues with the front lights. This evening I was driving down a back road and suddenly both low beam headlights went out simultaneously. I put on my high beams and 15 seconds later, both low beams came back on. This happened every few hundred feet for my entire drive home. There is definitely an electrical issue and as I'm looking online I see many others are also having lighting issues. If this is a frequent and known problem, GM should be responsible for fixing it. It was really scary having both headlights go out and I'm very thankful I did not crash! this car has been nothing but problems and recalls! as a long time GM customer, I'm extremely disappointed in this vehicle!

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Jul 302015

G6 6-cyl

While putting vehicle in gear it jerks very hard. When driving, the vehicle shifts really hard and while driving, the security light comes on and it shuts down. While in reverse, the brake light continues to blink off and on. Took to transmission shop and put it on test they said wiring was bad. Took it to dealer and they didn't fix it. Also, they fix recall for power strain and gear shift cable and car been acting up ever since service light on and not changing properly.

- Batesville, MS, USA

Jul 092015

On July 9 and 29 2015. In the middle of driving my car suddenly went dead power steering locked had to wrestling with it just to keep from hitting another vehicle while get off the road. It had begin to shake as if the front end was about to fall out. The car did not start. I changed the battery as well as the alternator and it still did the same thing again two weeks later on July 29 2015. Still had not started.

- Mendenhall , MS, USA

Jun 152015

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after several minutes. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

May 012015

While proceeding in traffic on an urban roadway, engine and other electrical components completely shut down. After ten or so minutes, car restarts in the normal way. This has occurred several times over the course of a month or so. Car is undriveable as is, since shutdown occurs randomly and with no warning.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

May 012015

G6 4-cyl

The power window went down but would not go back up. Has happened before but I did not report it until now.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Mar 132015

I was in the merging lane to merge onto the interstate and my car loss power. My car was still drivable, but would not go past 2 RPM. Display panel displayed "reduced power".

- Hoover, AL, USA

Feb 142013

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The steering became difficult to maneuver and a humming sound emitted from the steering column. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition switch and the vehicle stalled. In addition, the contact stated that the transmission slipped and the vehicle accelerated while in first and second gear. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The failure mileage was 122,000.

- Radcliff, KY, USA