NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 10 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 47)

Mar 192014

G6 4-cyl

Continuously while driving the steering will lock putting the car into straight position, while in turns, bends, cures, . etc. This has left me I N to oncoming traffic, nearly side swiping cars beside me, heading front on with cars not being able to steer and have control.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was advised to replace the power steering. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 14V153000 (steering) but the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000. Updated 6/27/14 the consumer stated as he was backing up, the steering locked up and he hit an object and damaged the trunk.

- White Ville, NC, USA

Feb 092014

G6 6-cyl

Steering failed while attempting to turn from highway onto an interstate ramp. While braking the steering response became erratic and car spun into the guard rail. No personal injuries during the wreck; however, car body damage was $3300. No previous steering failure had been experienced. GM dealership indicated power steering control module (22837369) was cause for steering failure. GM dealership replaced this module to return power steering to service and charged me full cost of parts and labor.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Apr 012011

G6 6-cyl

My power steering shut off while driving - electrical on my car comes and goes several times daily problem with airbag lights as well as all dashboard shuts off frequent engine trouble. This car has been nothing but an investment failure I have put so much money and time into this vehicle and have not had a real solution to all the problems I've had since purchasing this vehicle.

- Pitttsfield, MA, USA

Nov 052013

G6

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph the power steering suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that after turning the vehicle off and restarting the engine the vehicle operated as normal for approximately 2 miles before the defect reoccurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced that the same defect listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 100,000. Jft

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 172014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the power steering malfunctioned and the wheel became very hard to maneuver. The dealer was contacted and notified him that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 180,000.

- New Burnside, IL, USA

Apr 212014

G6

I was driving out of our subdivision on a small hill when the power steering failed. I was able with difficulty to drive the vehicle home about a block. I had the vehicle towed to a local Pontiac dealer. I did not see any warning displayed or hear any beep. I do not have access to the vehicle so have no idea what the vehicle number or exact mileage is. I did not recall hearing about the recall and received no notification from General Motors. The ignition switch in some vehicles has received a great deal of press, but I didn't recall any news about the potential steering issue. GM should have warned owners directly of the possible failure.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Jun 292010

G6 6-cyl

6/10: Driving on freeway at 65 mph and lost power steering. In 9/10, received letter from GM indicating issue so brought vehicle to local dealer for steering column replacement. In 10/10, driving on freeway at 65 mph, lost engine power and power steering with indicator above radio saying "reduced engine power". I had to pull over to side of road, turn car off, then turn back on again, to regain power. This happened several more times between 10/10 and early 12/10 at which time I brought the vehicle into local dealership for repair. They replaced throttle body. I have since sold the vehicle to my nephew who has not had any problems. This vehicle should have been a recall. Very dangerous. No rhyme or reason to occurrences as well as whether the car would regain engine power or not. I did have a heavy key chain at that time.

- De Pere, WI, USA

Jan 142013

G6 6-cyl

Power steering didn't work on day when I started my car. I had to restart several times. Since then power steering has gone out while driving about 65 mph, steering wheel turns left on its own, ( while driving or sitting still), and jerks left to right continuously. But once the car the engine is turned off the steering wheel turns right on its own and centers itself. When the car is turned back on the wheel then turns left again on its own. I had an alignment and this has not fixed the issue, but only made worse. Turning the wheel left is much easier than turning right all the time. If sitting still and wheels are turned right, the wheel will then turn all the way left again as though it is possessed.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Feb 032014

G6

Making a right hand turn at an intersection the power steering stopped working, chime sounded and "power steering" appeared on the info screen. Car was hard to steer. Continues to go out intermittently when turning.

- Butler , PA, USA

Feb 122014

G6 6-cyl

My tail lights do not work at all on the vehicle. Have replaced bulbs and fuse and still nothing. Also there is no power steering. It had went out while driving the car. Also the catalytic converter. Have called the manufacturer to get them fixed but my VIN is not on the recall list. I was wondering why? all the recalls that have been placed on this make year and model are exactly what I am experiencing problems with on mine. So how is it determined which vins get recalled. I have kids and am scared to drive this vehicle due to the severity of problems I am experiencing with it. I can't even drive my vehicle at night due to the tail light issue, and can hardly drive it daily due to the power steering being out in the vehicle. Please advise on how to fix this issue and what the next steps I should do.

- Murfreesboro , TN, USA

Apr 152014

G6 6-cyl

I was backing out of my driveway, everything seemed okay until I put the car in drive and my car chimed and the 'power steering' message showed up on the dashboard. I just purchased this car less than a month ago from a dealership, and had no warnings of steering problems.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Mar 102014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving at no particular speed the vehicle lost power steering with the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel was hard to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who did not diagnose the failure. There was a recall under NHTSA recall campaign id number 14V153000(steering); however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000.

- Dania Beach, FL, USA

Feb 152014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle would sporadically fail to start. The contact would have to shift into neutral and then park numerous times before the vehicle would respond. The contact also stated that when driving over a road bump or any unleveled road surface, the instrument panel would fail. On one occasion while the contact was driving at an unknown speed, the power steering assist failed and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle, who then crashed into a guard rail. The contact was not injured and a police report was not filed of the incident. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, who was not able to diagnose or duplicate the failure. The contact was advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle had been previously taken to an independent mechanic for the same failures however, the mechanic also was unable to diagnose a failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Apr 072014

G6 4-cyl

My wife was making a turn into a parking lot and loss power in her steering. After the vehicle was shut down for some time, I was able to drive it back home with no issues. The car will be parked until we can take it to the dealership for the recall.

- Lanham, MD, USA

Apr 052014

G6 4-cyl

Wife was driving then power steering shut off wile driving. Power steering appeared on info screen and the car dinged. She was very scared I called my dealership and was told my car did not have a recall that it was only for the 05 G6 and "some" 06S but not mine well guess what mine should be... if anything happens to me or my family cause of this I will own GM just like the others they need to include this recall to all the 06 G6S.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Apr 032014

G6 4-cyl

Yesterday I found out that there was a recall for GM Pontiac G6 cars, inclusive of my model. Ironically, when I drove to work this morning, my power steering went out without warning, almost causing me to wreck!!!! when I called T he customer service for GM in detroit, they told me that this was still "fresh" and that a complete VIN list had bee completed yet for the recall and may not until the end of the month. She did however, issue me a case number and patched me through to the local GM Pontiac dealership to set up an appointment. The dealership manager was very accommodating and told me, he would work with me as best as possible, but the info from GM could be slow coming. GM needs to get on the ball here!!!!!! suppose I had wrecked or was injured due to this "no warning" incident? I'm just asking for a quick resolve!!!

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

Mar 312014

G6 4-cyl

Luckily for me I was in the process of exiting my driveway and made it to the end. As I was operating my vehicle, I suddenly heard a chime. My first instinct was to see if my seatbelt was connected. Then my steering wheel jammed. And I didnt understand what was going on, so I braked and as I reached to turn down my radio to pick up my cell and ask someone what that could mean, I saw on my display the words power steering. So I revered back into my parking area and exited the vehicle and began making phone calls. Long story short, GM is giving me the run around and lies. I have it in writing and voice messages where they state they will pay for a tow and a rental, when it came time for the tow today I called the numher provided for me, that I read back as I wrote it down, and it was a false number. I emailed GM several hours ago about this and have not recieved a response. My appt for my car is 10 am tomorrow and I have no way to get my car there other than drive it, which is unsafe. Additionally, I have it in writing where a member of GM customer care stated my car is safe to drive I just need to use extra caution to steer. Thats like telling someone to sleep with a stranger, its safe but he careful you dont catch a disease.

- Lagrangeville, NY, USA

Mar 082014

G6 6-cyl

Service engine soon light illuminated, clunk, knock or rattle noise from front of vehicle when turning steering wheel regardless if the car is parked or driving on curves, turning, or going over bumps at both low and high speeds. Car pulls to the left and has a constant vibration/shake which can sometimes be very violent throughout the entire car and completely disable it! a constant loud squeaking noise when applying brakes or when driving at low speed can be heard. A ticking or knocking type noise coming from the engine or transmission area may subside in hot temperature. Panoramic sunroof leakes a wind rush noise. Intermittent long crank or no crank with a delayed start. Headlamp and backlighting have low visibility or inoperative. Gearshift indicator light occasionally comes on or flickers. When doors are locked the locking mechanism may not release by key or remote and I have to crawl inside from the trunk in order to unlock the car. The climate control does not engage/ push air on setting 3 but works on 1 2 and 4. the famous "monsoon" radio has horrible sounding speakers as if blown however they are not. I have seen more than 1 certified mechanic for these problems. I have paid a lot of money repairing steering, brakes, rotors, alignment, tires balanced etc. However problems are still occurring in my very recent purchased G6. Now I see recalls have been issued but according to GM website my VIN# is not listed as being recalled. Well apparently it does and should be recalled for replacement repair and reimbursement since Pontiac/GM are completely aware of these issues and recalling cars with "certain VIN numbers". I have bought non-american cars until now with no problems other than standard maintenance. This is my first Pontiac/GM and sadly I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake by not staying with non-american made cars.

- Walker, MO, USA

Jul 102013

G6 6-cyl

Power steering randomly quits working. First time was on the highway. Other times in the middle of a turn, backing out of a parking spot, multiple times when merging onto a main road off from a side street.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA