CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 15 of 38)

Oct 242010

G6

The power steering has gone out on my 2006 Pontiac G6 without warning. There are several complaints prior to mine some involving wrecks. My vehicle is all I have to Transport me back & forth to work & I'm terrified. This vehicle has several other issues including the camshaft sensor, blown struts but none as dangerous as the power steering going out. There need to be a recall of this car before someone gets hurt.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Oct 182009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when he started the vehicle, he noticed the power steering light on the instrument panel accompanied by a ringing sound. On one occasion, the power steering malfunctioned and he had to steer manually. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted which seemed to reset the power steering. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the dealer but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The current mileage was 28,764. The failure mileage was approximately 19,000.

- Bath, MI, USA

Oct 152009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 30 mph the power steering failed. He stated that the power steer light illuminated on the dashboard, a chiming sound occurred and the vehicle became very difficult to control. He drove onto to the side of the road, shut the vehicle off and restarted it. The vehicle began to function normally. The failure only occurred during cold weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the vehicle was not repaired because of the cost. The contact was unable to provide a VIN. The failure mileage mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 82,000.

- Moscow Mills, MO, USA

Sep 192010

G6

I have a 2006 G6, noticed the popping sound in the steering at 40K miles and had it replaced. Now at 75K miles, there is a grinding sound in the steering and it shakes bad when coming to a stop or even slowing down. I drive interstate and have a 3 month old baby with me and am extremely upset by what I am reading. GM needs to do a recall on these vehicles asap before someone is killed. I purchased an extended warranty from the dealership that covered the intermediate shaft. I will be bringing it to a dealer this week to have the rest of it looked at.

- Gretna, NE, USA

Oct 042010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving 60 mph, the steering wheel started to get very tight so the contact exited the highway. The contact noticed that the power steering warning sign illuminated. The contact was able to continue to drive the vehicle to the destination but was concerned that a crash could have occurred if she would have stayed on the highway. The contact had not called the manufacturer or an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Oct 012010

G6

While driving my recently purchased 2006 Pontiac G6 (29,000 miles) when I make turns the electronic power steering will shut off and the radio will flash a power steering warning then I will hear a ding sound and lose control of the steering. There have been several times that this has happened. This appears to be a very common problem with all G6 models from what I have read. This is very dangerous and could result in a fatality if it hasn't already. It's sad that someone may have to be seriously injured or even die before GM takes this serious. This is not just a problem with the 2005 models, just about all G6 vehicles from 2005 - 2008 have this problem. There needs to be a recall before someone gets hurt!

- Davenport, FL, USA

Sep 292010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving 20 mph, the power steering light flashed and the power steering malfunctioned, making the vehicle difficult to steer. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 70,500.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 292010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering unit malfunctioned without warning. The steering became stiff and difficult to handle. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Hanover, MA, USA

Sep 102010

G6

Pontiac 06 G6 gtp sedan I have a shaking in the steering wheel from 55 to 65 and I've got multiply things fixed to eliminate it from wheels balanced, replaced a bad tire, replaced a bad rim and still no signs of stop shaking that last component can only be the steering and the price to fix or replace is ridiculous and im 19 yr old trying to stay in school and I buy a GM car cause my parents have owned many GM vehicles now its just as bad as a foreign vehicle GM you should fix a faulty part on your vehicles cause your reliability is going down the drain by ignoring your loyal customers complaints.

- Catlett, VA, USA

Sep 012010

G6

The March 2010 GM recall of certain Pontiac models with electronic power steering did not include the 2006 G6 model. I own a 2006 G6 with the exact same problem and am concerned with the safety issue. If this is a widespread problem on all 2006 G6 models, they should have been included in the recall.

- Dover, MA, USA

Sep 172009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact was turning approximately 5 mph when he heard an abnormal squeaking from the steering column. The failure became intermittent over the course of one year. The squeaking noise developed into a clunking noise that would exhibit when turning at low speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering rack was repaired. Three days later, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken for further inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 62,000.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Apr 202010

G6

Whenever I go to make a left turn the electric steering goes out all the time and the steering wheel shakes nothing yet since I have seen recall stuff about it.

- Clover, SC, USA

Jan 292010

G6

Clunking noise coming from front end possibly steering or tie rods not the ball joints already replaced those.

- London, 00, USA

Nov 012008

G6

To whom it may concern: I am writing to complain, I am an owner of a 2006 Pontiac G6. I love my car, however I am experiencing a lot of problems with 'shaking of the steering wheel and clunking noise. I have been to a few mechanics and always do what is recommended. Examples are wheel alignments, rotors, tire change, new brakes however the shaking or noise never goes away.. I have also had my intermediate shaft fixed by the dealer. The noise and shaking improve when work is done but after a few days it comes back! I have noticed many people with the same model and year as mine are experiencing the same problems.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 092009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact experienced a sudden loss of power steering, followed by the power steering warning indicator illumination. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was driven over to the side of the road; and the engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed with the continuous loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they informed that the failure was contributed to the power steering motor. The power steering motor had been replaced a total of five times. The contact received a manufacturer voluntary recall notification related to the steering after the repairs were performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer refused to reimburse for any of the previous repair expenses. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Corbin, KY, USA

Mar 162010

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 has always had a "clunk" sounds in the steering column when I turn the wheel but I lost all power steering while I was driving down I-95 in philadelphia. I was barely able to make it to the closest gas station, as the steering wheel was almost impossible to turn. After letting the vehicle sit for about a half hour, I tried to start it to relocate it to a better area of the parking lot and the power steering was working fine again. Again, my power steering indicator is back on. I haven't lost my power steering again so far, but I will be taking the car into the GM dealer tomorrow. I spent most of the day doing research on this problem and have realized it seems to be quite common with these vehicles.

- New Cumberland, PA, USA

Aug 202010

G6 6-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 3 months ago....a couple of days ago while I was driving with my 3 children the power steering went, I turned the car for a few minutes, I turned it back on and it worked again. I gave GM my VIN # and they said that there was no recall on this car, but why would this car do this, it only has 108 km on it and if other Pontiac G6 were be recalled with the same defective problem why would my car not qualify. Just a note, that this was a scary situation and could of been a lot worse if I was on the highway.

- Thunder Bay, , 00, USA

Aug 232010

G6 6-cyl

Electric power assist loss on 2006 Pontiac G6. I received another recall letter for my G6 electric power assist loss. It says it will cover the defect for 10 years or 100,000 miles. My vehicle currently has 130,000 on it so they say it is not covered. I get the chime and power steering display on my console intermittently. It has been going on since 95,000 miles but is too expensive to get fixed. They sent me the first notice when my car had 96000 miles on it saying they would cover it to 70,000 miles. Both times I was told by Pontiac they would not cover it since it was outside the mileage limit. If they would have made it 100,000 miles the first time, it would have been covered. They know its a problem because they keep boosting the mileage up, but always lower than the miles I have on my car. My steering is going to quit working one of these days, and they know why, but they wont fix it.

- Bellevue, MI, USA

Aug 192010

G6 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6.. I read that there was a recall from April 25th 2007-September 25th 2007 in which it was closed. My car is having the same problems as the recall in 2007 am I able to still get my car fixed without cost to me...steering electric power assist system.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Nov 012009

G6

The power steering goes out every morning or when you turn car off, then restart it. I was backing out of parking space and it failed, I could not turn the steering wheel, a security officer was able with his strength get me out of the middle of lane in parking lot. I then turned car off and on several times and it just so happened to release itself. We just drive to and from work in fear of it going out if I stop at store for groceries. It has gone out on highway, we stay clear of those too, we can not enjoy our car because of this problem, parts that have failed the car should be replaced in a recall trying to save to fix. Hoping it would be recalled as the G5 has been. I have been a loyal Pontiac customer and have never had a problem of this magnitude. The right thing to do is to recall. I would remain loyal if this happened. I pray no one gets killed before something is done.

- Houston, TX, USA