2006 Pontiac G6 steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 16 of 38)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 16 of 38)

Aug 162010

G6

Pulling out of the drive way then lost power steering, almost crashed twice. Vehicles suddenly hard to control and unable to move.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Jul 182009

G6

The power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G6 goes out on a regular basis almost causing accidents all the time, especially when making sharp turns and is now happening even if I am driving straight. There is also a popping noise with the steering column that happens when I am making a left turn.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Aug 132010

G6

Pulling out of my road and power steering just gives out.. I can barely turn the wheel to avoid crashing into the ditch across the street. Im 8 months pregnant and there were cars coming at me at 55 mph. I manage to turn around and go home, my boyfriend checks it out and the manual says power steering fluid. No power steering fluid in this car, its all electrical. He turned it back on and it was fine. Now my car is at the dealer and I'm paying 80 dollars an hour to "diagnose" this well known problem. I could have died if I were driving, I'm not the hulk, I cannot drive this vehicle if the power steering just decides to give out on me. What if I were on a back road with lots of turns? I would have crashed right into a tree. Thank god I was just pulling out when it acted up, thank god the cars were far enough away to slow down for me.

- Chelsea, ME, USA

Jan 062010

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6. At first the power steering message kept flashing across radio screen, eventually power steering mechanism went out all together while driving. Power steering fails intermittently, at any time. The only way it resets is when car is turned off, if it resets. Vehicle is very hard to steer. After talking with dealership, found out that steering column and power steering motor would need to be replaced at a cost of almost $2000. This vehicle is very dangerous and this car should be recalled.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 052010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving the steering wheel began to shake excessively. The vehicle was moving from lane to lane and made a popping sounds regardless of the speed he was driving. He also stated that when the vehicle was in park, the steering wheel would also shake. The dealer was contacted and stated how much the repairs would cost. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 73,000.

- Dillwyn , VA, USA

Aug 082008

G6

Pontiac G6 2006 I just bought a used G6, and noticed a clunking noise in the steering, taking it to my own mechanic tomorrow, anybody found a remedy for this? it has 77,00kms. Apparently I have 36 days from certification if it is a safety issue.

- Victoria Harbour, 00, USA

Jul 022010

G6

The 2005- 2006 Pontiac G6 has faulty electronic power steering. There should be a major recall for this very dangerous safety issue right away! once it happens the car is nearly impossible to control. What I don't understand is GM recalled the Chevy cobalts and the Pontiac G5's so why not the G6 there are more than enough complaints and proof to the company that they need to admit there is a problem here and need to recall the product. There have been deaths regarding this matter I mean GM man up and do the right thing if you still want customers to purchase your product!! there's nothing worse than knowing the feeling of driving your car 60mph on the highway and when this problems happens you have no control over the car your driving that's more than a scary feeling! the problem to fix this is to replace the electronic asset power steering motor. Help on this situation would be greatly appreciated for 1,000's of people out there including me!

- Milford , CT, USA

May 122010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving at 40 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated followed by the sounding of the power steering warning chime. Months later, the contact noticed when starting the vehicle that the power steering would independently lock. The contact would play with the steering wheel until it became operable. The dealer reset the control panel. On her drive from the dealer, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken back to the dealer for further repairs or diagnosis. The failure mileage was 59,000 and the current mileage was 61,200.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Aug 032010

G6 6-cyl

I have a Pontiac G6, 2006, recently the power steering indicator starting going off and on. Today while driving the power steering completely failed, luckily no accidents happened as a result of this failure. Car is scheduled to go to GM dealer on Thursday, 8/5.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Dec 062009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While the contact was driving approximately 30 mph, there was a slight loss of power steering with the "power steering" warning light illuminated. There was extreme difficulty turning the steering wheel. The warning indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turning off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician informed that the failure was related to the power steering module. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Waggaman, LA, USA

Jan 102008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While attempting a turn at 20 mph, the steering wheel became extremely hard to maneuver. The dealer was contacted and advised that the steering column was potentially defective and would possibly need replacing. The steering columns was replaced yet the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the contact was awaiting further repairs. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 50,000.

- Deray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 272010

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 --when I started my car it acted fine. Driving down the street at approx. 15-20mph the power steering light came on the radio and beeped at me. Almost immediately my power steering went out. It was almost impossible to turn off the street into a parking lot. I turned the car off and back on and the power steering worked but the light came on over the radio again. Very scary experience and had I been going any faster it could have caused an accident. Taking the car into the shop tomorrow.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jul 222010

G6 6-cyl

When driving, the power steering goes out. I have to restart the car to make the power steering work. This is an ongoing problem, you then can drive it for a couple miles before it goes out again. Then restart the process.. and if it goes out while trying to make a turn, it causes you to go off road.

- Howard City, MI, USA

Dec 212009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 2 mph the contact noticed that the power steering light appeared on the dashboard and within a few seconds, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The failure was not diagnosed and the contact noticed previously that the steering wheel made a squeaking sound while making a left or right turn. The failure mileage was 57000 and the current mileage was 62000.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Jul 202010

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT and the power steering went out going down the road. The power steering light came on first and about 5 minutes later the power steering went out. The steering was so hard to turn that I had to park the car cause I couldn't turn the steering wheel. Other year models have been recalled but the 06 hasn't. the vehicles a unsafe and need to be recalled to fix the problem.

- Irvine, KY, USA

Jul 222010

G6

While driving the G6 it would lose power steering when turning.. this happens on and off; it has been doing that for several months. Driving it today the power steering went totally out.

- Howard City, MI, USA

Jul 212010

G6 4-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6, 4cyl. The electric power steering assist is failing on this car. With a quick research on google I have discovered that this is a common problem in this vehicle and accidents are occurring. The recall on the cobalt, G5 and other cars have the same power steering assist. Why is there no recall on the Pontiac G6?

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jul 102010

G6 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 that I purchased last summer. Since then my power steering has gone out twice. The first time was about 6 months ago and it only last for about a day and then the next time I started the car up it was fine. But the second time it happened was on July 10, 2010. I was heading home from a friend's house and as I went to turn off her street my steering wheel became very hard to turn and my radio screen said "power steering". I had to use every bit of energy I had to turn my steering wheel and make it back to my house safely. I haven't driven the car since then. I check it everyday just to make sure it hasn't fixed itself like last time but I haven't had any luck... I called GM to report it and they basically said oh well and too bad, I have a feeling I am going to have to end up paying for this and I definitely do not have $800 to fork out and pay for a manufacturing defect such as this.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Feb 162009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to control. The contact was only able to turn the steering with extreme force onto the emergency lane. The vehicle was towed to his residence. The dealer stated that they need to diagnose the failure. The rack and pinion was replaced by an independent mechanic; however, the vehicle continued to occur. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Apr 182008

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 with faulty power steering. The power steering cuts in and out intermittently, sometimes even while in operation. There have been several occasions when taking a curve and the steering wheel locks up and becomes almost impossible to turn. The failure is most prone to occur in warm weather, and generally in the summertime it rarely goes away. I have been told that this was a manufacturing issue, and that the out of pocket expense is egregious. This needs to be corrected soon, before I join a growing list of others who have been unfortunate enough to have had an accident.

- Macon, GA, USA