CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 16 of 46)

Sep 162011

G6

As I was casually driving within city limits, my power steering just stopped working. I pulled over and noticed that I was helpless because the power steering is electric and I could not add any fluid. After about 15 minutes or so the problem ended. About 7 months later, the power steering light has started coming on.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Jan 232012

G6 6-cyl

The first incident, I was driving and making a turn into my driveway and it became very difficult to turn the steering wheel. This happened another two times before the most recent incident. When I was driving down the highway, the power steering of the car completely quit. "power steering" flashed on the dash and it became very difficult to steer the car to safety.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Nov 242011

G6 6-cyl

Power steering went out, almost caused a fatal accident on the road. Heard about recalls for this but no GM dealership is accepting recalls for this vehicle about this specific problem. A quick search online and there are thousands of users having the same issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 272012

G6 4-cyl

I was backing out the garage when power steering got stiff and very difficult to steer.

- Mississauga, NY, USA

Feb 152012

G6

Power steering quit working will driving... hard to turn and drive..

- Mccook Lake, SD, USA

Feb 162012

G6

Power steering hose is rubbing against exhaust which now has made the powers steering hose to leak which could cause a fire if it hit the exhaust.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Feb 162012

G6 6-cyl

I was driving 60mph when all of a sudden my steering locked up. I was on an interstate with traffic going 60-70 mph. My children were with me and I could not steer my G6 over to the shoulder. I had cars and semi's about hit me. Trust me, with all of the complaints about this and no recalls yet, if it is to happen and I get hurt I will sue GM! there are thousands of complaints over the same crap going on with these cars! you need to fix GM!

- Huntington, IN, USA

Feb 102012

G6

I was driving on the freeway to get to school and Y power steering went out I could not control the car and I almost crashed to another car. I stopped the car turned it off and then turned it back on and then I could control the power steering. Is there any recalls on this car.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Feb 082012

G6

The steering becomes hard as a rock and I cant turn the wheel because it is so heavy. While I am on the highway my car shifts to the left, and I am afraid for my life. Why is there no recall on this. This is ridiculous.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

Feb 132012

G6 4-cyl

Power steering failed as my daughter was backing out of driveway. I took her to school so I could get car checked out. Returned home and turned car off restarted and power steering was ok. Seeing numerous complaints on this issue. Was this isolated or will it happen again is there a recall from GM?

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Jun 152011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact was driving 20 mph when the steering wheel seized. The contact was able to coast the vehicle off road while turning the steering wheel with extreme force. The vehicle would have to be turned off and back on so that the power steering would reset independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed as the steering column, internal shaft and sensor needing repairs. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 109,000.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Dec 162010

G6 6-cyl

Power steering goes out on my car several times aday. It has gone out on me while driving as fast as 40mph. This car is dangerous to drive. When it goes out I have to shut the car off before the power steering will start working again. Once it comes back on the steering does not feel right. When I try to steer to the right it is stiff when I steer to the right it is very loose. I have had this car for about 4 yrs. Loved it until I got afraid to drive it! also, what dummy came up with having the windshield wiper on the passenger side of the car stop right in the front of the driver? it is almost impossible to see out the window when it is raining..

- Foster, WV, USA

Jan 242012

G6 4-cyl

I was driving down the crowded interstate, headed home from work and my steering wheel locked up. I could not turn to get to the shoulder of the road and could not steer so I had to stop. I turned off the car and restarted it and luckily the steering came back. I was past by semi trucks honking and one slamming on his brakes behind me to keep from hitting me. Once I drove the car home I told my dad what happened and he checked the car. He realized that the car had electric steering. He decided to let the dealer look at it. They offered no explanation but rather a repair cost of $1,200. He then looked online and found that there were hundreds of similar cases by just googling "Pontiac G6 steering problems". this is when he decided that I needed to file a public safety complaint.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 012012

G6 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle and the power steering came up on the radio screen and the steering wheel got hard I had to pull over wasn't able to drive my vehicle.

- Alton, TX, USA

Jan 302012

G6

As I was turning into my housing edition, my steering wheel locked up and I noticed that my radio said power steering. I almost ran into our gate and I've also noticed there is nowhere to put the power steering fluid.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 182010

G6

Driving one day and hear thumping, ends up that 2 lug nuts are missing on the front right tire, buy 2 lug nuts and put them on problem fixed right? wrong!!!!!! now almost a year later, (how many people check their lug nuts everyday, no one because you shouldn't have too.) there are 3 lug nuts missing on the right side of the car 1 on the back tire and now 2 broken lug nut screws on the front right tire"??? I know, how do the screws that the lug nuts go onto brake?" I'll tell you why, because the car is always shaking, hit a bump and the whole car feels like its going to brake. Instead of "feeling so fly in my G-6" they should have made a song called "braking down in my G-6" I would have bought that song cause its true!!!!!!!!! with the recall on the steering, I would have to say there is something else going on with the shaking of the car as well and I don't think its the steering but more like the suspension maybe...

- Denver, CO, USA

Jan 152012

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was then shifted into neutral and shut off. The steering functioned as normal upon restart. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 112,368. Updated 02/15/12

- Fountain, NC, USA

Jan 162012

G6

The driver owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the driver was driving 2 mph when the steering wheel seized and the driver was involved in a crash. Another vehicle crashed into the driver. One passenger suffered head and hand injuries. The injuries included a concussion and memory loss. The police were notified and a police report was on file. The vehicle was then towed to a repair shop. The manufacturer was not notified and the vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileages were 79,328.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 222011

G6 6-cyl

As I was driving the vehicle power steering light illuminated. Lights of the car flickered and then the steering column locked up. I could barely move the wheel even after pulling with my whole body. I am an able bodied 25 year old male and found it ridiculous and dangerous that I could barely turn the car going 55 mph while using all my strength. I got off the freeway after almost exhaustion. I then turned the car off. Restarted it and the problem went away. I brought it to the dealership and they stated they could not find the problem. Per a "special policy #10183" they changed a few sensors and that was it. Then on 1/20/12 my wife was driving the car when the same problem occurred while at 65 mph. Luckily she was able to get off the road safely. I had to go pick her up and then attempt to drive the car back with its malfunctioning steering. Again same problem, steering wheel becomes almost immovable. These all need to be replaced. GM has built a very faulty product that will kill someone...its just a matter of time. This steering wheel is a major problem.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 132012

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering would fail at any time without warning. The manufacturer and the dealer were notified of the failure, but the denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 33,900.

- Columbus, OH, USA