NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 47)

May 032016

G6

The steering wheel sometimes gets hard, when im driving 30 mph makes noises also when I turn

- East Chicago, IN, USA

May 212016

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the lights on instrument panel flickered and the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the ignition was turned off and back on and the vehicle operated as intended. The contact stated that the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.....updated 07/05/16 the consumer stated while driving, the steering wheel suddenly became stiff. Consequently, the consumer was unable control the vehicle and crashed into a ditch. The consumer was injured. Updated 07/11/16.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 072016

G6

The vehicle entered the on ramp to I-5 from the shasta dam blvd, shasta lake city, ca. As my grandson approached the 90 degree curve to merge, the steering locked up and could not turn the vehicle, went off the pavement with brakes engaged and stopped in the gravel median. Called GM Pontiac, they arranged to have the car towed to dealership and have it repaired as it was a recall item. Part #22837369. After the diagnostic was done, GM declined to repair it, because this item had been replaced on 3/18/2015 with a 12 mo. Or 12,000 mile warranty. Mind you this car had traveled from Hawaii to the state's to a dealer. A couple weeks ago my daughter purchased the car. At 3 weeks of owning this car the steering went out. There had only been around 4,000 miles on it with the new part. She had purchased the car just 7 days after the 12 month warranty, apparently it's whatever comes first the 12,000 miles or 12 month. This is not right. My grandson could have been injured or worse. This steering issue recall is a recurring event with this part. I researched and the same thing is happening to other owners as well with the new recall part. This part needs to stay on the recall list #14772. This number has changed from the original recall #14416 electric power assist that GM gave me. GM replacement part #22837369. GM needs to honor the replacement of this part.

- Redding, CA, USA

Apr 072016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel seized and almost caused an accident after the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 292016

G6

Just bought the car a few weeks ago, started getting a clunking noise from front end/ steering wheel. Went back to dealer where I purchased car and they did not fix issue. Went then to GM dealer and had their service center check it out, seems the steering shaft is not working correctly. This is a known recall from GM but apparently my VIN # is not included in this recall but is included in some other recalls. My car fall within the parameter's of all the other recalls (manufacturer dates, year, models) so I believe this car should also be included in any/all recalls.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Apr 042016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired for a previous recall for the steering; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 312016

G6

The high pressure power steering line had a hole melted into it by the exhaust and the line burst spraying power steering fluid on the exhaust and almost catching the car on fire.

- Friendsville, MD, USA

Jul 152011

G6

Driving through the neighborhood when the powersteering on the car went completely out. I was unable to slow the car down to bring it to a safe park on the side of road. Instead I hit an embankment. The witness and police were not sure why my car did not flip over in other words I lost steering and brake power and the car was deemed as totaled.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Mar 072016

G6

This car has been nothing, but a dangerous headache. I was pulling out of my driveway and the brake fell off.. glad no traffic was coming. Could not stop.. the a week later I am driving and the tire blew. Last weekend driving and lost all power. Not only did we get locked inside the car the serpentine belt was shriveled in pieces. It was horrible. Tell the dealer cause I'm making payments and they act as if the could careless.. the car has never been inspected. I had it looked at and was told the back accel is going to crash in and the electrical is bad it can cause a fire. Scare to drive it.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 132016

G6

Power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G6 stops working while driving. This issue is described in tsb 10183A, which states that the issue will be fixed at no charge under a 10year/150,000 mile warranty. While I have the issue of loss of power steering described in the tsb, GM will not honor the warranty for my vehicle. My vehicle is approximately 9.5 years old and 140,000 miles. There appears to be safety issues with the power steering in some 2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles that GM does cover the repairs for.

- Leland, NC, USA

Feb 092016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became inoperable without warning. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Oct 112014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While making a left turn at approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was serviced under an unknown NHTSA campaign number related to the steering; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 149,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jan 262016

G6

I am coming to you because I had my car serviced 04/23/2015 to have two recalls fixed and it was ok for a couple of months when again the power steering started to malfunction again now its worst than before as soon as I start the car the steering wheel gets so hard I can`T move it I even hit my other car while backing out of the drive way because I lost all control of the steering wheel. GM is sendind me to the same dealer to get a diagnostic but I was informed that it has to be paid out of my pocket wich I find it unfair because they are the same problems I was experiencing before now I have stopped driving my car because I am afraid to have a worst accident. The campaign id number for the recall is 14V153

- Eloy, AZ, USA

Apr 272015

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While making a turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and a loud popping noise was noticed. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the power steering assist warning light illuminated every time the vehicle was started. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Gahanna , OH, USA

Jan 182016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 50 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The contact pulled over and restarted the vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering motor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,900.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Jan 022016

G6

The air bag warning will come on and off during drives. The air bags will turn off and turn on throughout drives. I have a small child now and this really concerns me. Air bag problem has been occurring for a few years now but happens almost every drive now. This happens when car is in motion on a city street, highway, turning and when sitting still. I selected steering because the steering wheel has been replaced by dealership a few years ago from a recall. Electric steering would stop working whenever it wanted to. Never worked normal since it was replaced. This happens when car is in motion on a city street, highway, turning and when sitting still. I also selected electrical because of the rear brake light. It was recalled due to a brake light that may or may not work when applied and took to dealership to have corrected. Since it was looked at we have noticed rear brake lights not working all the time. I've only noticed when sitting still in driveway.

- Noble, OK, USA

Nov 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed while driving 45 mph. The contact was unable to turn the steering wheel. The contact was able to coast off the road, restart the engine, and resume steering function. The failure was experienced several times. The dealer performed a diagnostic, which was unable to locate a failure code. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Dec 082015

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 217,000.

- Mount Pleasant, TN, USA

Aug 072015

G6

We never had a problem with loss of power steering but did see the power steering message on the display flash a few times. We decided to bring the car to the dealer to get the 3 recalls done on it of which one of them was for the power steering message. After the recall was done we went to pick up the car and the power steering did not work intermittently. We brought it back to the dealer and they changed a different part and charged us $734.26 and said the second part was not covered under the recall. I also contacted GM headquarters and they told me the same thing. Since the part changed in the recall actually broke our power steering maybe they were changing the wrong cheaper part and billing the customer to fix the issue. We did not have an accident as the loss of power steering was less than a minute at a time and it was very hard to turn but the car still could be turned.

- Wantage, NJ, USA

Nov 072015

G6

Steering wheel shakes at idle and while driving, creating difficulty steering. Power steering alert on info screen. Loss of power steering. Turn vehicle off and steering returns. GM dealer states the power steering module is bad but is not apart of the steering recall.

- Newport News, VA, USA