NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 21 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 21 of 47)

Oct 202010

G6

I have a 2006 pointiac G6, I had a letter about the steering but I have miss placed it. It stated that if my steering went out have it checked. Well I was on the highway with my granddaughter and I went into the other lane infront of a truck and guess what the steering would not move. I called a dealership in mn and they said until my car stops all together they could not fix it; I have my grandchildren with me quite frequently I guess they want to fix it when something happens to my grandchild or myself I don't think so; please tell me what to do before someone gets hurt and I don't want it to be anybody. Also, I have replaced the rotors, brakes all four tires in the fall of 2010 in the beginning of 2011 I had to have them fixed. Well I have to go and have them fixed again I have never had a car like this in my life, I am a 65 year old single woman and I hate that this car is so badly constructed no wonder people do not buy american cars. Please tell me what to do about my brakes, thank you.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Mar 252010

G6

Electric steering assist kicks in and out. Steering wheel turned hard to the left on its own while I was going down the highway at 65mph. It took both hands to take back control. Power steering light blinked on the radio. When I stopped the wheel was making clicking sounds and turning violently to the left and right. After restarting the car the steering temporarily went back to normal. I have been have similar problems with the steering for the past year. Took to the dealar showing them bulletin # 10183 describing the exact problem for 2005 and 2006 G6's but they did nothing stating my VIN # was not in the affected range. This is extremely dangerous and will kill someone.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 182011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 10 mph and attempting a turn, the contact heard a clunking noise. The noise was heard intermittently when the steering wheel was turned in either direction. The dealer was contacted and advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Mar 272011

G6

Power steering on Pontiac 2006 G6 goes out...then might return after sitting.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 102011

G6 6-cyl

My 2006 Pontiac G6 came out with a power steering problem, says in the radio screen also, and caused my car losing control on express way from New Hampshire to Massachusetts and crashed into ramp. My car was damaged in shape and tire, wheel support bar. Replacement caused me a huge amount. Very very dangerous issue!!!

- Waltham, MA, USA

Aug 112010

G6 6-cyl

My power steering light keeps coming on and there is a clunking in my steering whenever I turn, and when I hit a bump my car sways a bit. As well as once in a while I lose my power steering which I almost crashed but maintained my composure.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Mar 252011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6 SE. The contact stated that the power steering warning light was illuminated with the loss of power steering assist. The contact had to utilize extreme bodily force in order to maneuver the steering wheel. The failure recurred several times and the vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who performed a diagnostic that located the failure at the power steering module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer would not assist with the repairs. The failure and current mileage was 115,000.

- Ada , OH, USA

Feb 102009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact was driving 35 mph when the power steering light illuminated causing the steering to fail. The vehicle was turned on and off but the light continued to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who repaired the power steering system. Two months later, the power steering failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they replaced the electronic module within the system. The vehicle was taken to the dealer at least three times in regards to the power steering failure, at the contacts expense. The vehicle was not under warranty. The manufacturer was contacted who stated they will contact him in regards to the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Lancaster, KY, USA

Jan 112011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 20 mph and attempting a turn, the contact experienced a loss of power steering for five to ten seconds. The vehicle continued to operate normally and the failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Grosse Point, MI, USA

Mar 292011

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering failed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the failure occurred because the steering column was shaking. The dealer did not state what was causing the steering column to shake, but the contact stated that she could feel a shimmy when driving the vehicle. The steering shaft was replaced by the dealer previously on 6/30/2008. The manufacturer stated that the part was no longer covered by the warranty and not under recall. The failure and current mileages were 139,000. Updated 5/24/11

- Cushing, OK, USA

Mar 022011

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and loved it til I started having power steering issues. Come to find out it has electric power steering pump, which was not disclosed at time of purchase. The computer system in the car is failing causing the loss of the power steering pump. Its bad enough I have to pay the car every month but now to have to pay for this additional replacement as the warranty is up, is just not feasible. It is a safety issue and can cause an accident, but it is my only transportation. Hoping they aren't waiting for a fatality before they issue a recall.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Mar 222011

G6

Power steering failure after not driving car multiple days. Turning off the car & turning back on sometimes would get power steering working again. Has failed three times.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Feb 222011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 70 mph, the contact heard a chime inside of the vehicle followed by the loss of power steering. There was an illumination of the power steering warning indicator on the instrument panel. The warning indicator would illuminate intermittently. The contact was able to continue driving and the vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired for the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Grand Haven , MI, USA

Mar 202011

G6 6-cyl

Loss of power steering while driving, almost causing an accident. I corrected the power steering problem by turning car off then on a few times until the in dash display did not say power steering anymore.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Mar 152011

G6 4-cyl

Driving down hwy 4 in senatobia Ms. Steering began to more by itself then became extremely hard to steer completely. This incident happened today so it has not been repaired, but I have talked to the dealership who says it will cost 700 to fix.

- Coldwater, MS, USA

Mar 082011

G6 6-cyl

Approximately 3 weeks ago, my car began to show me a "power steering" error. It would pop up, and I would lose my power steering. This would go away after turning off and restarting the car. As of two days ago, March 8th 2011, the error is on my dash and I have no power steering at all.

- Woodbury Heights, NJ, USA

Mar 052011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that as he exited the highway onto an off ramp, the vehicle exhibited a warning chime followed by a loss of power steering assist. The vehicle was turned off and when restarted, the power steering had reset itself. The contact stated that he had not experienced the failure before. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was told that the electronic power steering assist had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage and current mileages were 142,000.

- Pontiac , MI, USA

Mar 062011

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 and recently had a problem with my power steering. I was turning right into a parking lot and I heard a noise from my car and my steering wheel jerked back the opposite direction. I parked the car and try turning my steering wheel and it would only move one way or the other about a quarter turn and then jerk back. I have not yet got the word from the dealer as to the problem but I have read that these cars are having alot of problems with the steering system, and there was no warning leading up to this the car had been running fine.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 022011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became very stiff and difficult to turn. The vehicle was pulled over and shut off. When the vehicle was restarted, the steering wheel operated as normal. Approximately fifteen minutes later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The failure and current mileage was 54,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 262011

G6 6-cyl

Last year my 2006 Pontiac G6 started making this popping sound everytime I turned my steering wheel. I took it to the dealership where I purchased my vehicle. They stated that it was my intermediate steering shaft. They had also stated that this was a factory defect. However I ran into the problem of my warranty company refusing to replace until it failed. The dealership told me that it was safe to drive. Last Friday I was pulling into my drive way and my steering wheel locked while still in drive and moving and power steering flashed across my radio screen. I called the dealership again and on the following Monday they had my car towed to the dealership. The intermediate steering shaft and torque sensor had failed. I would definitely consider this a safety issue. Had I been driving down the highway I could have been seriously injured. When I picked my car up I noticed the steering still was not right. They stated it was registering a heat sensor code for the power steering motor. They also stated eventually I would have to have it replaced, however yet again the warranty only covers this when it fails. Why has no one recalled this vehicle. It has more problems than I cant count. I no longer feel safe driving my car.

- Florence, CO, USA