NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 22 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 22 of 47)

Feb 282011

G6 4-cyl

Extremely unhappy with GM and the Pontiac G6. My electric steering went out again. Back in August 2010 my electric assist went out and I had it "repaired" by GM due to the recall.. well it worked up until today 2/28/11 and my electric steering went out again. My steering suddenly became hard to move and I almost crashed into my driveway gate but I was able to stop. I got the error message of "power steering" in my dic. I took it to GM and it is now suddenly not covered even though they did not properly fix the issue the first time. They want $800+ to fix the issue and replaced the motor. Very unsatisfied, have always been a GM fan and our family has 5 GM cars. I need this issue resolved as I cannot drive my car without the power steering as it is unsafe and I cannot afford a $800 repair! this needs to be resolved by GM asap! its not fair for us owners to be driving around in an unsafe vehicle that the most important component for safety failed!

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Feb 152011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds on the highway, she noticed that the power steering became very difficult to maneuver. The power steering warning light illuminated on instrument panel. The dealer was contacted and they stated that they are aware of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 122,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 142011

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 that now has around 112,000 miles on it. For the past 6 months or so I've been experiencing difficulty steering the vehicle at times. This is one of many issues I've experienced with this vehicle. Last week when I started the vehicle, the information menu started flashing "power steering", which indicates that more than likely a new steering column needs to be installed. I've researched and have found that this is an issue that millions of Pontiac G6 owners have complained about and that an extended service plan had been generated to repair the problem free of charge courtesy of GM, but only to drivers with 100,000 miles or less. In my case, with over 100,000 miles on the car I now have to pay out of pocket at least $800 to fix this defect with GM's automobile. This should be a recall!!! the steering wheel gets really hard to turn all of a sudden while your already driving. This is extremely dangerous to me and other drivers on the road. I want my complaint to be documented and would also like an explanation as to why this major defect has not been classified as a recall. I will never buy a GM vehicle or any other american made vehicle ever again in my life. GM will not assist me with paying for this repair and I do not have the means to do so at this time, but I do need a car to get to work everyday. This is ridiculous!

- East Patchogue, NY, USA

Feb 072011

G6 6-cyl

The power steering went out on my 2006 Pontiac G6. About a year ago I heard clunking coming from the steering column. Now my power steering has gone out completely and now I know what ths clunking sound was. And reading online it seems like I'm not the only one.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Feb 092011

G6

Driving on rt 64 in il, Pontiac G6 power steering fails, can hardly move the wheel to turn stayed on rt 64 till it was more rural to turn I was afraid I couldn't. this is a hazard and has great potential for serious accidents GM needs to take responsibility to correct this..this needs to be recalled no matter how many miles you have on your car. The property damage is obviously the steering failure my car is in the shop and the damage to my nerve wracking white knuckle ride home.

- Paw Paw, IL, USA

Dec 282010

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 and the power steering went out while I was driving the car in December.. I almost had a wreck. I went to auto zone and purchased power steering fluid and I was able to add some to the system. Three days later the same thing happened, luckily I was driving on a street where I could pull over. I came home and called Pontiac in san diego, ca. And was informed by the dealer to complain to the Pontiac headquarters. I contacted the headquarters and nothing has been done. In last 5 weeks the power steering has gone out a total of five times and I almost wrecked twice. I live part time in the usa and part time in Mexico. The last time I contacted Pontiac they said when I returned the usa to contact them. All I am getting is a run around with no answers. I told them the car was dangerous..their emails to me are very negative and I am totally unhappy with their response.

- Ca, CA, USA

Feb 082011

G6 6-cyl

My power steering keeps failing on my 2005 Pontiac G6. I have two small children and it is extremely unsafe to have this problem. I am now afraid to have my kids in the car. The first time this happened it was in my parking lot. The second time I was turning in traffic. Thank god there was not a car coming the other way. I had to throw my whole body against the wheel to get it to turn. And yes my children were in the car at the time. I don't understand why this has not been recalled. Both times this happened the service light came on and the screen flashed power steering. My steering immediately went out. I am now going to have it checked out at a shop.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Feb 042011

G6 6-cyl

This morning I was on my driving to work and as I was pulling on to the highway, my power steering locked up and I could not turn my wheel very well! because, I was already turning, I was able to get it to the side of the road before any cars were to come. At that point, I was unable to turn my wheel nor did I feel comfortable going any further on the highway. I then called a person and got my car to my local mechanical shop where it currently is now. I do not feel safe in this car and don't feel that the extended warranty is proper. I think it should be a full on recall for the power steering. Obviously, GM knows there is a problem which is the reason for the extended warranty but to not have it as a full warranty is ludicrous. The fact that people's lives are at risk and this has happened to many people is nonsense not to have a full recall. I have done research on this issue and it is a very common problem. I'm not sure how many complaints is needed before it is corrected but I would sure hope it would not take a horrific accident for this to occur. I have 111000 miles on my car 11,000 over the criteria and very upset is not being taken care of by GM. This is very disappointing and not to mention and most importantly, dangerous! thank goodness I've been driving for several years and knew what to do but there are too many young kids out there that drive this type of vehicle that are not experienced drivers and will get hurt because a major function of the vehicle goes out and no fault to anyone except the automotive company making the vehicles. I would have the GM people/ NHTSA people who make the call to recall to think about their own children or family and how they would feel if something happened to them because the power steering went out at a crucial time and had no control over the vehicle. Again, very disappointing not only to GM but to the national highway safety for not deeming this as a serious problem and having recall sent out.

- Shelbina, MO, USA

Feb 022011

G6

Have been having intermittent jerking of the steering wheel when turning right. Turning right into my place of work tonight, the steering completely failed. I was already turned enough to make it into the gate without ramming into it, and managed to park. I checked under the hood and all seemed to be fine. I started the car again and the power steering pump was fine. I am terrified to drive this car as I have no cell phone and have to drive almost entirely on highways at 65mph to and from work (in the dark mostly). There are many other G6 owners with the same problem and have had serious crashes. This needs to be recalled.

- Walkertown, NC, USA

Jan 252011

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT and have had the "power steering" light come on while driving and my wheel locks up completely and I cannot turn it. The first time this happened then the light only came on. So I finished my shift at work and then drove to auto zone to buy fluid. On my way there, the wheel locked up and I was driving on a busy highway, unable to turn off of it. Finally I put my car in neutral, turned it off, then turned it back on. I was able to drive it to buy fluid but the power steer is electric in G6's. I was told that my entire steering column needs to be replaced and I'm no longer under the warranty by my dealership. I've been researching different sites online and many, many people have had this problem with their G6's. this is a serious and very dangerous problem considering the steering wheel of the car locks completely and will not turn while driving it. I don't have $700+ to get this issue fixed and I refuse to pay for an issue on my car that is clearly the manufacturer's mishap considering many, many people have faulty power steering. This is an issue that needs to be resolved before Pontiac is the new Toyota and begin causing deaths because of it's faulty vehicles.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Jan 252011

Power steering failure.

- Belen, NM, USA

Oct 102010

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 base 4 cyl had stiff steering and eventually locked up while turning going 35mph. Had to pull over. Radio computer informed me that the power stereing had failed. Took to dealership where they replaced the steering motor. 3 months later, the same problem only worse. Steering completely locked up while going 60mph on the highway. Hit a median, nearly caused a pile up on I-69, had to have the vehicle towed where they were unable to determine the cause.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 142011

G6 4-cyl

Power steering failure. This is not right when Pontiac knows that there is a problem. Will we need deaths of will this be fixed under recall.

- Lewiston, NY, USA

Jan 202011

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6. I lost my powersteering on the way to work this morning and it was very difficult to control the vehicle. I feel that this is very dangerous, and could have resulted in an accident. After doing some research I have learned that there have been ongoing issues with the power steering in these vehicles.

- Littleton, NC, USA

Jan 052011

G6 6-cyl

Electrical steering switch is going bad, making car unable to steer.

- Franklin, IN, USA

Dec 142010

G6 4-cyl

While driving about 55 mph, I approached a curve and put on brakes slightly. While entering the curve the power steering froze, and I could not turn momentarily. The power steering came back on and I over compensated for the loss of steering. I spun out of control, hitting an embankment with my rear wheel. The car flipped and landed on its wheels. I went to the hospital with a partially collapsed lung, bruised ribs, bruised sternum, back injury, and neck injuries.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jan 102011

G6

The contact owns a 2006 GMC Pontiac G6. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when the power steering assist failed intermittently without warning, causing limited steering capabilities. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the power steering assist motor would need to be replaced after performing a diagnostic. The contact was awaiting a call back from the manufacturer in regards to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileage was approximately 16,000.

- Sturtevant, MI, USA

Jan 062011

G6

Power steering failure, randomly shuts off, vehicle difficult to steer, causes car to veer out of control.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 012011

G6 6-cyl

Power steering stops working while driving with no warning and does not work again until I stop the car, turn off and restart the engine.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 152010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While parking the vehicle and driving between 2 and 5 mph the power steering failed. She stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn and that it began to shake. The vehicle had not been taken to a dealer for the failure. The failure was constant and was on going for the last three to four months. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 53,000 and the current mileage were 57,000.

- East Boston, MA, USA