NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 24 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 24 of 47)

Nov 172010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 20 mph, the power steering failed. The contact was attempting to turn left and because of the failure, he almost crashed. The next day, the contact took the vehicle to an authorized dealer where an ans setup column (contact was unsure of what that was) was installed under warranty. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was 76,180.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Nov 132010

G6 6-cyl

Electrical power steering keeps going out. I noticed slight problems with turning in the past but now the power steering light comes on when the problem arises. I have literally found thousands of complaints online for the same issue in the 2005 and 2006 model G6S. Why doesn't GM do something and take care of their drivers. I guess they are going to sit back and not do anything until they have a few fatalities. We should not have to pay the cost of this expensive repair job when its' apparently a defect in the G6 models with electrical power steering. Its funny how they went back to the traditional hydraulic power steering pump in the 2007 models. I wonder why?

- Irving, TX, USA

Dec 152008

G6 6-cyl

Power steering went out during blizzard-like conditions. I could not turn the wheel. Since then, intermittent times of power steering locking up. Then, in September of 2010, car began rattling, thumping, having a mind of its own. Sounds like an airplane. Power steering notice and engine light are on permanently now. I have already talked about the potential for accident with my children and had to prepare them for this because we cannot afford all of this work. In the last two years, the brakes have been replaced 7 times (in the shop 6 times in 2008 from may-Sept). They had to special order the calipers because like the electronic power steering, the calipers on a G6 are the only car that is "done this way." The steering failure is now taking a toll on the brakes. I have also experienced the flooding on the floor boards of the car in the backseat and trunk but never made a connection until reading all 857 complaints thoroughly on one website and 153 on another. I have contacted and am awaiting a return call from a lawyer. I am also contacting the company our car is financed through for some kind of recourse. I have been trying to contact both GM and Pontiac. I am going to have to get the car fixed but I will fight to get reimbursed or somehow get out of the remainder of this loan without my husband's credit being impacted. I have to use my car for work. I had to switch jobs so I would not be expected to Transport clients. I am in fear for myself and my family. What kind of life is that" is anything in the works for a recall" so far, I have endured all of the financial responsibility: Increased insurance premiums, accidents, tickets for failure to control and repairs. Because the steering problem is severe, I have to find the money next week or park the car while continuing to pay the monthly car payment.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Nov 022010

G6 4-cyl

The power steering cuts off with very little warning and you are forced to use "hulk" strength to retain control of it. Then you have to turn the car off and restart in order to reset the system. This is the 3rd incident that I've had, and we have only had the car for 2 months. The first time was (10/18/10) while I was backing out of the driveway, the second time, (10/27/10) my husband was driving through a parking lot and we were able to stop. This third time, which has been the most frightening, my son was driving and he started to slow in a construction zone when all of a sudden he could barely turn the wheel. My son is a new driver, thank god I was there to tell him what to do, and thank god we had not reached the highway. We got this car for him to get back and forth to school, but now I'm afraid to let him drive it. I have just started reading all of the complaints online and I can't believe that there has not been a recall. The G5 and cobalts apparently had the same problem and they have been repaired. How is it possible that the investigation into the G6's has been closed"??"

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Sep 272010

G6 6-cyl

While driving my G-6 Pontiac to work, I tried to turn the corner, & I had a sudden loss of power steering assist, & went into the oncoming traffic because I couldn't turn the wheel hard enough. I received a letter in the mail from Pontiac which stated that the power steering assist is covered under a special coverage program. My car did not qualify because it had to many miles. I feel this is a safety hazard & should have been a recall instead. You have issued a recall on the 2007-2009 mazda3 and mazda5 power steering voluntary safety recall. Have you not gotten enough complaints on the G6 Pontiac, or does it take a lot of accidents or loss of life for a different vehicle to get the same recall. I had to spend $708 to get my vehicle fixed. I should not have had to put out that kind of money. I didn't get any satisfaction from General Motors corporation, but I do hope you consider also making the G-6 problem a total recall.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Oct 242010

G6

The power steering has gone out on my 2006 Pontiac G6 without warning. There are several complaints prior to mine some involving wrecks. My vehicle is all I have to Transport me back & forth to work & I'm terrified. This vehicle has several other issues including the camshaft sensor, blown struts but none as dangerous as the power steering going out. There need to be a recall of this car before someone gets hurt.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Oct 182009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when he started the vehicle, he noticed the power steering light on the instrument panel accompanied by a ringing sound. On one occasion, the power steering malfunctioned and he had to steer manually. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted which seemed to reset the power steering. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the dealer but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The current mileage was 28,764. The failure mileage was approximately 19,000.

- Bath, MI, USA

Oct 152009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 30 mph the power steering failed. He stated that the power steer light illuminated on the dashboard, a chiming sound occurred and the vehicle became very difficult to control. He drove onto to the side of the road, shut the vehicle off and restarted it. The vehicle began to function normally. The failure only occurred during cold weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the vehicle was not repaired because of the cost. The contact was unable to provide a VIN. The failure mileage mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 82,000.

- Moscow Mills, MO, USA

Sep 192010

G6

I have a 2006 G6, noticed the popping sound in the steering at 40K miles and had it replaced. Now at 75K miles, there is a grinding sound in the steering and it shakes bad when coming to a stop or even slowing down. I drive interstate and have a 3 month old baby with me and am extremely upset by what I am reading. GM needs to do a recall on these vehicles asap before someone is killed. I purchased an extended warranty from the dealership that covered the intermediate shaft. I will be bringing it to a dealer this week to have the rest of it looked at.

- Gretna, NE, USA

Oct 042010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving 60 mph, the steering wheel started to get very tight so the contact exited the highway. The contact noticed that the power steering warning sign illuminated. The contact was able to continue to drive the vehicle to the destination but was concerned that a crash could have occurred if she would have stayed on the highway. The contact had not called the manufacturer or an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Oct 012010

G6

While driving my recently purchased 2006 Pontiac G6 (29,000 miles) when I make turns the electronic power steering will shut off and the radio will flash a power steering warning then I will hear a ding sound and lose control of the steering. There have been several times that this has happened. This appears to be a very common problem with all G6 models from what I have read. This is very dangerous and could result in a fatality if it hasn't already. It's sad that someone may have to be seriously injured or even die before GM takes this serious. This is not just a problem with the 2005 models, just about all G6 vehicles from 2005 - 2008 have this problem. There needs to be a recall before someone gets hurt!

- Davenport, FL, USA

Sep 292010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving 20 mph, the power steering light flashed and the power steering malfunctioned, making the vehicle difficult to steer. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 70,500.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 292010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering unit malfunctioned without warning. The steering became stiff and difficult to handle. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Hanover, MA, USA

Sep 102010

G6

Pontiac 06 G6 gtp sedan I have a shaking in the steering wheel from 55 to 65 and I've got multiply things fixed to eliminate it from wheels balanced, replaced a bad tire, replaced a bad rim and still no signs of stop shaking that last component can only be the steering and the price to fix or replace is ridiculous and im 19 yr old trying to stay in school and I buy a GM car cause my parents have owned many GM vehicles now its just as bad as a foreign vehicle GM you should fix a faulty part on your vehicles cause your reliability is going down the drain by ignoring your loyal customers complaints.

- Catlett, VA, USA

Sep 012010

G6

The March 2010 GM recall of certain Pontiac models with electronic power steering did not include the 2006 G6 model. I own a 2006 G6 with the exact same problem and am concerned with the safety issue. If this is a widespread problem on all 2006 G6 models, they should have been included in the recall.

- Dover, MA, USA

Sep 172009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact was turning approximately 5 mph when he heard an abnormal squeaking from the steering column. The failure became intermittent over the course of one year. The squeaking noise developed into a clunking noise that would exhibit when turning at low speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the steering rack was repaired. Three days later, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken for further inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 62,000.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Apr 202010

G6

Whenever I go to make a left turn the electric steering goes out all the time and the steering wheel shakes nothing yet since I have seen recall stuff about it.

- Clover, SC, USA

Jan 292010

G6

Clunking noise coming from front end possibly steering or tie rods not the ball joints already replaced those.

- London, 00, USA

Nov 012008

G6

To whom it may concern: I am writing to complain, I am an owner of a 2006 Pontiac G6. I love my car, however I am experiencing a lot of problems with 'shaking of the steering wheel and clunking noise. I have been to a few mechanics and always do what is recommended. Examples are wheel alignments, rotors, tire change, new brakes however the shaking or noise never goes away.. I have also had my intermediate shaft fixed by the dealer. The noise and shaking improve when work is done but after a few days it comes back! I have noticed many people with the same model and year as mine are experiencing the same problems.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 092009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact experienced a sudden loss of power steering, followed by the power steering warning indicator illumination. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was driven over to the side of the road; and the engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed with the continuous loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they informed that the failure was contributed to the power steering motor. The power steering motor had been replaced a total of five times. The contact received a manufacturer voluntary recall notification related to the steering after the repairs were performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer refused to reimburse for any of the previous repair expenses. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Corbin, KY, USA