NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 26 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 26 of 47)

Jul 222010

G6

While driving the G6 it would lose power steering when turning.. this happens on and off; it has been doing that for several months. Driving it today the power steering went totally out.

- Howard City, MI, USA

Jul 212010

G6 4-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6, 4cyl. The electric power steering assist is failing on this car. With a quick research on google I have discovered that this is a common problem in this vehicle and accidents are occurring. The recall on the cobalt, G5 and other cars have the same power steering assist. Why is there no recall on the Pontiac G6?

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jul 102010

G6 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 that I purchased last summer. Since then my power steering has gone out twice. The first time was about 6 months ago and it only last for about a day and then the next time I started the car up it was fine. But the second time it happened was on July 10, 2010. I was heading home from a friend's house and as I went to turn off her street my steering wheel became very hard to turn and my radio screen said "power steering". I had to use every bit of energy I had to turn my steering wheel and make it back to my house safely. I haven't driven the car since then. I check it everyday just to make sure it hasn't fixed itself like last time but I haven't had any luck... I called GM to report it and they basically said oh well and too bad, I have a feeling I am going to have to end up paying for this and I definitely do not have $800 to fork out and pay for a manufacturing defect such as this.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Feb 162009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to control. The contact was only able to turn the steering with extreme force onto the emergency lane. The vehicle was towed to his residence. The dealer stated that they need to diagnose the failure. The rack and pinion was replaced by an independent mechanic; however, the vehicle continued to occur. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Apr 182008

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 with faulty power steering. The power steering cuts in and out intermittently, sometimes even while in operation. There have been several occasions when taking a curve and the steering wheel locks up and becomes almost impossible to turn. The failure is most prone to occur in warm weather, and generally in the summertime it rarely goes away. I have been told that this was a manufacturing issue, and that the out of pocket expense is egregious. This needs to be corrected soon, before I join a growing list of others who have been unfortunate enough to have had an accident.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jun 012010

G6

My electric power steering in my Pontiac G6 went out. It was very dangerous and I experience neck and arm pain for weeks after for having to drive around without it. I had to get the car fixed which required it to be in the shop for a week. They had to replace a circuit and reprogram the car. I paid 900 dollars out of pocket. I have done research and found that is it a common problem among Pontiac cars including G6's which is what I have and yet its the only Pontiac car to not have been recalled for it yet.

- Chandler , AZ, USA

May 152010

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6. The power steering light comes on and the power steering is lost. This happens at high and low speeds. I am seeing this is a very common problem with this model. It happens at random times. Very dangerous!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 082010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact was attempting to park the vehicle when the power steering failed and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to steer. The contact shut off the engine and the vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure yet the failure recurred. The power steering warning light was illuminated and remained illuminated following the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,750 and the current mileage was 40,780.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Jul 102010

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6 power steering goes out randomly when there is extreme hot weather, when the power steering goes out it locks the steering wheel and you are no longer able to use it.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 142010

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 that has a clunk in the steering when you are traveling at slow speeds and turn the wheel.

- Abraham, UT, USA

Jul 142010

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and for the past several months the powersteering has been going out. I can pull over and shut the car off and then turn it back on and sometimes it will reset. However, more recently that is not working and if I am driving on the highway I have come very close to having a wreck. The powersteering goes out at least 4 times a week and the days it goes out it continues all day long. I am afraid this is going to cause a very bad wreck. I had the problem looked at by a mechanic and he said the only thing he could do was replace the whole steering column and he didn't suggest doing that just yet. This is something that really needs checked out before someone dies from an accident.

- Steelville, MO, USA

Jul 012010

G6 6-cyl

I have an 06 Pontiac G6 and a while back I was driving home from out of town when out of no where the power steering went out. I was able to steer it to the gas station but if my wife had been driving, she would not have been able. The steering isn't just hard to turn like an old truck, it constantly tries to spring back to the straight position so you fight it the entire time. We parked it for a few days and I turned it on an took it around the block and it was fine until a week ago when it went out again and now I cant get it to work at all. I will be damned if I am paying to have it fixed when it is GM's problem. This is a serious issue and it is complete bs that all the other cars got recalled but the G6 did not. "government motors" better do something about this or risk losing even more customers.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

May 052010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The power steering on the vehicle continued to fail intermittently. The contact stated that when the accelerate pedal was engaged excessively that the power steering light illuminated he lost control of the steering wheel. It does not occur while driving at slow speeds. The vehicle had not been inspected when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 55000 and the current mileage was 61000.

- Kailua-Kona, HI, USA

Jul 092010

G6

I bought a Pontiac G6 2006 recently and it seemed like a good buy but now its been giving me steering troubles were the power steering stiffens up and I can barely turn the wheel. I've done a little research and I found im not the only one with this problem.

- North Miami, FL, USA

Jun 272010

G6

I have not been in any accidents (thankfully) however; within the past 4 months I have had to replace my steering module and just last week my ball joint and control arm. These are expensive and are very necessary to fix right away. I have a hard time turning my steering wheel at times and when I seem to turn it makes an odd noise. The dealership said it was fixed but at times I still feel something is wrong and it scares me because I don't want anything bad to happen. I have talked to the Pontiac dealership and they say there isn't anything that can be done. This to me isn't right and I do not feel safe with my steering seeming to go bad often.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 302009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph and making a left or right turn there was a loud noise. The failure became progressively worse over time. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who stated that the rack and pinion and the pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that the intermediate steering shaft needed to be replaced and they would pay 50% of the repair cost. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 19,000. The current mileage was approximately 23,000.

- Palm Bay , FL, USA

Mar 102010

G6

The contacts owns 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering failed intermittently and that the vehicle had to be restarted in order for the steering wheel to work. When the power steering light came on the vehicle made a beeping sound. The vehicle had not been inspected when the complaint was filed. The VIN was rejected from the system. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Elcajon, CA, USA

Jul 042010

G6 6-cyl

My 2006 G6 has had issues with power steering since I got it. I purchased the car with only 30,000 miles on it 2 years ago. It was during the summer and I'd had the car two week and power steering came across the dash. I was told that it was nothing and to ignore it. Now two years later its doing the same thing, it normally does this during the spring and summer months. At times it can be hard to turn but this is usually when I first crank the car up. Once again I was told this is because you have to give the power steering time adjust. I don't know what it is but after reading all of the complaints, I'm contemplating whether or not I should keep this car. Im really concerned for my safety. I also hear the clinking noise when I break and thump noise when I turn. I love my car but if this is a persistent issue with the car even after its been repaired then it doesn't seem like its worth keeping. The current mileage on my G6 is 53,000.

- Raeford, NC, USA

Oct 092009

G6

Problems with car started in June of 06, for abnormal noise, from underneath car, condensation was constant in headlights even after replaced. Car disc player would constantly malfunction and was replaced - steering was always seemed not just right. Car would accelerate for short spurts, trunk filled with water after a rain really feel the whole stability of the car needs to be seriously looked at. Husband received brain injury from what looked like he just plowed into a block wall for no reason. He held a clean driving record with a current cdl license.

- Saint George, UT, USA

Jul 022010

G6

A few months back I took my car in for a popping sensation when turning and nothing could be found. Today I was backing out of my drive way the car started to ding and across the radio read screen power steering. I lost power steering to the car and it was very very hard to turn.

- Erie, PA, USA