NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 27 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 27 of 47)

Jun 242010

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. I have been experiencing intermittent problems with the power steering unit. The electric power steering goes out with no warning. It has happened to me several times and seems to occur more frequently in warmer temperatures. I was nearly involved in a head on collision when this happened to me while making a left hand turn at an intersection. I took the car to my local dealer and they informed me it could be in excess of $1000 to repair. I have investigated this problem and have found hundreds of complaints about this year and model of Pontiac, all of which occur between 55,000 and 60,000 miles. My car has 57,000 miles on it. Still GM refuses to acknowledge the seriousness of this defect by issuing a recall. One would think with $52 million dollars of americans tax dollars in their pockets that they could take care of their customers. This isn't about bailouts though. This is about putting families, mothers and childrens lives in danger. I am sending this in hopes of this Agency being able to do something with GM to hold them accountable and force them to rectify this situation before more people get hurt or killed. This isn't a matter of a poor paint job here, this is a very serious safety issue involving the steering components of a car. I appreciate your attention to this matter.

- Cottager Grove, MN, USA

Jun 232010

G6

The power steering went out in my car and I lost control trying to turn into an intersection. The light came on prior to my turning and this was the first time it had ever happened. I noticed the steering was off a bit the week prior, however, I had the tires rotated that week and they said that the car may pull to the left after. When trying to check the power steering fluid in the car, I found there isn't a spot for this and they are electric. Thankfully I did not cause an accident.

- Bristol, IN, USA

Jun 212010

G6

Power steering light comes on and off. Power steering just cuts out and makes the car impossible to turn.

- Pepperell, MA, USA

Oct 142009

G6

The Pontiac G6 2006 has a problem with its steering. The driver has to have muscles in order to make a turn. If it is a sharp turn you will be up on the curb. This problem is constant and is a severe safety issue. One would think the car company would recall this problem since they did recall for this issue up until the year of 2005!!! please help!!

- Millry, AL, USA

Sep 152009

G6

My Pontiac G6 2006 power steering goes out at first I was told my battery wasn't strong enough so, brought a new battery and it still goes out took back to dealership told me the power steering would cost me 1,200 and it wasn't under recall I think GM need to pay for this who wants a car that doesn't have a power steering pump atleast I could see if it needed a belt or fluid this is a mess.

- Newton, NC, USA

Mar 062010

G6

2006 Pontiac G-6 I-steering shaft needs to be recalled. I have had mine replaced to fix a thud in the steering of the car. Also I have not had this issue but many others and people I know have and this issue and it should def. Be recalled. The Chevy cobalts and Pontiac G5's were recalled for this why not the G6? the power steering can be faulty on this car going out and can cause a car accident. Think about it if your driving doing 60 to 70 mph on the highway and you can't control or steer your car not only is that scary, but a car accident can happen!!

- Milford , CT, USA

Jun 102010

G6 6-cyl

My 2006 Pontiac G6 is experiencing power steering problems in which I now know is electrical and very costly to repair. After hearing how much it would cost I came home and looked to see if GM had any recalls on this issue, but to come and find out they don't. a lot of complaints though. Why is this not a recall issue or the consumers given some help in getting what seems to be a big issue corrected.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 102010

G6

Power steering motor in my 2006 Pontiac G6 went bad. It cost me over $800 to repair. But then I look online and see that the following cars were also recalled for the exact same issue: - 2005 - 2010 Chevrolet cobalts - 2007 - 2010 Pontiac G5S - 2005 - 2006 Pontiac pursuits - 2006 - 2006 Pontiac G4S it's really hard to believe that GM used a different type of part in my car.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 112010

G6

The contacts owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving the vehicle at 35 mph, the power steering light on the instrument panel illuminated, and he lost power steering. The contact had a difficult time steering the vehicle, but he was able to drive the vehicle home. Upon inspecting the vehicle, he noticed there was no power steering fluid.the dealer had not been contacted, and there had been no repairs done to the vehicle. The manufacture had not been notified. Failure and current mileage was 8061.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jun 082008

G6 6-cyl

The power steering on my 2006 Pontiac G6 keeps locking up while driving and is becoming a very major hazard, it happening almost daily and I have seen on several web sites that it is happening to hundreds of other 2006 G6 owners as well when do you plan to hold GM responsible for this.

- East Bank, WV, USA

May 272010

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 problem with the electric power steering quitting while traveling down road.

- Sanford, MI, USA

Jun 052010

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 74,000 miles electric steering major issue last Saturday, June 5, 2010, I was on my way home from work and as I was nearing my residence, the steering became harder to control. Luckily, the major issue didn't occur until I was in my driveway, in which the car was completely non-steerable. I am by no means a weak person, so this lack of steering is completely unacceptable. On Tuesday, June 8, 2010. At about noon, I was heading to lunch and coming from a stoplight, I had no steering what-so-ever, I was required to restart the car mid-turn in order to not run off of the road. This is a very dangerous problem that GM apparently doesn't care to resolve. It is obvious General Motors cares nothing at all about the people who buy their product. I am thoroughly disappointed, so much so that I purchased a used 2005 mustang GT as a replacement car. I need to have the Pontiac G6 fixed, because I am selling the car, I do not wish to be killed by my own car! I was not injured or killed but I am very very tempted to click the "were there any deaths or injuries?" checkbox because I already know that GM doesn't care what happens to its loyal customers... what a shame!

- Katy, TX, USA

May 282010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving at 35 mph, the contact noticed that the steering wheel had become very loose and while braking, the steering wheel would shake from left to right. The vehicle had not been inspected at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were approximately 59,000.

- Westerville, OH, USA

May 282010

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 has a power steering fault that dealership is saying that the steering column and power steering assist motor has to be replaced. The vehicle has a little more than 58,000 miles on it. This is ridiculous that this is happening. After doing a little research on this I have found lots a cases that has resulted in crashes and injuries. Why has GM not recalled these vehicles?

- Sweeny, TX, USA

May 112010

G6

Steering wheel vibrated and pulsated back and forth, during which time I felt I did not have steering control. Took it to a shop, they found no problem--left the shop and the car beeped and power steering light came on. Took it to a dealer ship and they replaced the power steering motor and cleared codes.

- Carrboro, NC, USA

May 012009

G6

When I would make left turns my wheel would make a weird noise. Then one day I was parked and when I went to leave I had to make a sharp left turn to get back on the main road. My power steering had went out. Now my power steering goes out when making left turns. This has been occurring for over the last year. The power steering doesn't go out every time a left turn is made but does go out at a minimum of once a day. When the power steering goes out I have to either pull over and shut the engine off and restart or reach my destination without power steering which is very difficult to turn.

- Winfield, MO, USA

May 312010

G6

I have come close to having three different accidents in my 2006 Pontiac G6 due to the power steering going out while driving. I had the same problem in Dec. Of 2007 and July of 2009 GM replaced some steering gear in 2007 and my column shaft. Now less than 12000 miles it is doing it again. I am so concerned now that my daughter almost had an accident yesterday. The powersteering light comes on also when ever this happens. I have seen that other Pontiac's have been recalled. I am sure that the problem in the G6 is the exact same. We need this recalled before someone gets hurt or even killed. I am taking my Pontiac once again into the service department tomorrow, for repairs for this same issue. Please help!!!!

- Stafford, VA, USA

May 302010

G6

While driving in a sharp curve my Pontiac G6(2006) loss power steering and wheel became very stiff to turn and to handle the vehicle itself, no accident or injuries since I was not driving very fast, I could manage the situation but it got me by surprise totally unexpected. The problem has not been resolved I understand its a very common complain in this cars with a little research online.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 202010

G6

I have experienced power steering failure multiple times in my 2006 Pontiac G6 while driving also after starting the car. I call GM to report the problem and suggested that they issue a recall, I was told to take my vehicle into a Pontiac dealership to have it diagnosed. After having my car in the repair shop for a day, I received a call from the service department and was told that my car coded a problem with the torque sensor; but further testing was needed to pinpoint the exact cause for the power steering failure. A few days later I again received a call from the service specialist saying that they needed to replace my steering column. I asked if that was the cause for the power steering failure, and was told that it was. I have yet to hear from the GM district specialist regarding my vehicle. There have been no crashes, incidents, or injuries but this is a very dangerous problem regarding Pontiac G6's and their loss of power steering.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

May 202010

G6

Bought a 2006 Pontiac G6 about 6 weeks ago, drove it for about 5 weeks then the power steering light on the dash came on dinging, husband tried to find where to fill up the power steering fluid, no place it's electric. Went to visit a relative 4 hours away leaving from the mall one night light came on again dinging and lost all power steering. Just thankful wasn't on a sharp turn as I would have lost control. Power steering light coming on all the time now but haven't lost power steering since but really nervous about driving it as I never know if it will happen again. Have had it to the garage for a scan and it says position sensor and torque input sensor problem. No one seems to know how to fix the problem for certain and even if they do try replacing the steering column it doesn't always work. There should be a recall on these cars to have them fixed before someone like myself gets hurt or causes an accident with someone else. I will never fully trust this car again. Something needs to be done. Asap.

- Alberton, 00, USA