NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 31 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 31 of 47)

Dec 102009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving at speeds of 5 mph and higher, the driver control center would chime three times, followed by a warning message that would read "loss of power steering." Immediately, the steering wheel would become extremely hard to turn. The contact stated that he was a fairly medium built individual and he would have to use extreme bodily force in order to turn the steering wheel in either direction. The dealer verified that the steering column was failing and would need to be replaced. There were no recalls for the failure and the manufacturer would not offer any assistance. The failure and current mileages were under 83,500. The VIN was not available.

- Butler, PA, USA

Sep 132006

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 and have issues with the power steering not functioning while traveling at low rates of speed. When I pull into or out of my driveway I have an incredibly difficult time turning the steering wheel. I often 'bump' the gas pedal to make the pump re-engage and supply enough pressure to assist steering again. Without bumping the pedal turning the wheel is almost impossible. I am not a little person. I am 6'1 and weigh 220 pounds so turning a steering wheel is not an issue. Ironically, at low speeds my G6 wheel is harder to turn than my 1976 Jeep's steering wheel and it is not equipped with power steering. I notified the dealer about this shortly after I purchased the car as the loss of power steering made me bump into my wife's car. The dealer just said "you get what you pay for." Nice huh? anyway, I saw the recall on the other vehicles and prayed, unsuccessfully, that mine was on the list. Since it was not, I figured I would at least let you know the power steering issue extends beyond your current list of recalled vehicles. Check www.G6performance.com and you will find others complaining about the same thing.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Sep 182009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While the contact was driving 20 mph the steering wheel suddenly locked causing the vehicle to spin uncontrollably and crash. There were no injuries. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. No repairs have been made and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 94000.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Mar 032010

G6

While driving and most of the time after stopping and starting again or when I very first start my car the power steering shows in my information center and I have a very hard time controlling my car. My car has 80,476 miles on it.

- Independence , MO, USA

Mar 022010

G6

No injuries have occurred yet but my 2006 Pontiac G6 4 door sedan has a clunk in the steering when turning left and time to time the power steering goes out. If I was driving at a fairly high speed this could result in a horrible accident. I have yet to get it checked because it is out of warranty and from what I read will be very expensive to fix but it is a known issue with many 2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Feb 152010

G6 4-cyl

The power steering on my 2006 Pontiac G6 seems to fail in cold weather. When making low speed turns, the steering wheel is extremely hard to turn. This does not just happen in low-speed situations, as there are times when traveling at highway speeds that the car severely pulls to one side. At first I thought this might be a tire or alignment issue, but there is nothing wrong with my tires, as the air pressure is correct and there is no wear on the tires that indicate an alignment issue.

- Haleyville, AL, USA

Jan 142010

G6

I have recently did a tune up on my 2006 Pontiac G6 just plugs and plug wires. When my wife told me the car locked it steering wheel upon a quick take off I then drove the car again and also had two lock ups with me. After that happen to us we never really do any fast takeoffs with the car. This happen 3 times in the month of January. This only happens with a takeoff and all the panel lights act like they turn off with all gauges drop in off position, but the car still running. Im not sure if this is part of the defect, but for the past 9 months this car has been real hard to start up and no lights display for a check engine. I have taken this car in for a computer diagnostics test and nothing was found to be wrong with the car. The dealership told me to get a new key and I did and it didn't help.

- Rockdale, TX, USA

Jun 012009

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 loses power steering at least 5-6 times per week. It usually kicks back in after restarting the car several times. Approximately beginning in January of 2009 the steering column would make a popping noise when turning. Then about June of 2009 the warning came on "power steering". within a couple of weeks of the warning the power steering began going out. I am concerned that it may go out when my teen is driving. We have also had issues with the electrical system in general. At times the electrical goes out completely in the dashboard.

- Vista, CA, USA

Jun 012008

G6

Power steering on my 2006 Pontiac G6 has been a problem since I purchased it. It makes a popping noise when ever it is turned left. When the car is cold and just started sometimes the steering wheel will move on its own left and right for a few seconds.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Aug 252009

G6 4-cyl

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 (4 cylinder). I have problems with the steering going out on the car. This usually happens during warmer weather. I will be driving, I will hear a warning chime and the computer system will indicate that there is a power steering failure on the digital dash display. Then I can feel the steering go out. I can shut the car off and it will sometimes reset the steering. Other times I may drive without power steering for a few days before it will resent. It sounds very similar to the steering issue that recently caused a GM recall on the cobalt, G4 and G5. I've read of numerous complaints similar to mine on the G6 as well, but GM failed to include that model in the recall. This failure can take place anywhere from several times a day to once every few days.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Sep 162009

G6

Steering wheel would not turn it locked up.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

May 152009

G6

My electric power steering went out on my Pontiac G6 on more than one occasion. I lost power steering multiple times within an hour. I have lost control but only gone off the road without any damage to me or the vehicle. I have no replaced any parts of me vehicle because of my financial situation. I use a lot of caution while driving my car and will not let anyone other than myself operate it.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jan 312007

G6

Pontiac 06 G6 has power steering issues, and steering shaft issues. The power steering is very hard to steer, some times it wont steer. It locks up and is always very tight.

- Troy, OH, USA

Aug 012009

G6

Power steering on 2006 Pontiac G6 model car is making a loud noise.

- Walnutport, PA, USA

Mar 032010

G6

My power steering motor in my 2006 Pontiac G6 keeps locking up on me. This has happened to me 4 times in the past month and a half. It happened the first time when I was driving in a parking lot. The power steering light went on and it started to chime. So I shut the car off and turned it back on in a few minutes and then it was fine. It happened a second time approximately 3 weeks later when I was pulling out of a parking spot. I did the same thing and turned the car off and then back on and it was fine. Two weeks later (yesterday) it happened twice within 3 hours. I took the same actions and restarted the car just so I was able to steer it. It's very scary cause it is so hard to steer. Thank goodness I was in a place that I could just stop and turn the car off and then back on.

- Somers Point, NJ, USA

Aug 012009

G6

I drive 100 miles back and forth to work every day. Early on, I had noticed some pull in the steering wheel, but likened it to an alignment problem. I took the car to a local shop and they aligned the car - everything seemed fine. However, I would have to have the car aligned about once every 2 months and by August 2009, was on my 3rd set of tires in 3 years due to uneven tread wear. I also began to notice the steering wheel dither upon starting the car and when I would break, the steering wheel would turn sharply left. The local shop looked at the car and determined there was a steering motor issue and urged me to call GM about this problem. I called customer service - mind you the car is out of warranty. At the time, the car had about 75,000mi. As soon as I told them this information, I began to get the run around and they told me I had to take it to a GM dealer before they would even consider talking to me about the problem. Of course, GM charged to me look at it and determined I would need a new steering motor, steering column, and torque sensor to the tune of $1000! I did some research at that time and found others having similar issues. And now GM issues a recall for the same problem in other GM cars during the same years! I have tried several different things to correct this problem - I have had the steering motor re-calibrated on 4 different occasions and an intermediate shaft replaced. The car is easier to steer, but I still get a dither everytime I turn the car on and once again it is out of alignment, and I have some uneven tire wear. My problem is not as severe as others, but these are only temporary fixes. It has been the consensus of all the mechanics I have talked to including the ones at the local GM dealer that the motor will need to be replaced before I completely loose my power steering altogether. The recall needs to be expanded to include the 2006 G6!

- Decatur, IL, USA

Nov 102009

G6

At first the problem was random only occurring after putting the car in revere. Steadily the problem became more and more common. Changing from happening every couple of weeks to happening almost every day. The pinnacle was when I was driving home one night and lost control of the vehicle when the power steering went out while making a left hand turn resulting in thousands of dollars of damage. The car now has power steering failure every time I turn left, and or put the car in reverse. The only way to fix the problem is to turn off the car and turn it back on. Unfortunately I have not had any parts replaced or had anything done to fix the problem, due to the cost of the replacement. So until there is either a recall, or a fiscally responsible way to repair the car, I'm driving a very unsafe car.

- Akron, OH, USA

Feb 202010

G6

While driving the powersteering message appeared on the message center and my 2006 Pontiac G6 lost all powersteering. Luckily my husband was driving and was able to drive it the remainder of the way and back, nearly 60-70 miles away. Don't even try checking the fluid, there is none. The valet parking attendant at our destination could hardly park it or bring it back to us upon our exit. I had to take the G6 to our local GM dealer on Feb. 24 and it was there for 3 days and cost me well over $600 to repair. Now, after less than a week from picking it up from the shop, I see that GM is recalling some other Pontiac models for this exact same problem. I feel that the 2006 Pontiac G6 should be included. This problem is very dangerous since before the complete failure the car began getting hard to control. When the powersteering fails it becomes awfully hard to steer the car at slow speeds and extremely difficult to park or turn onto roads. While sitting idle at red lights, stop signs, etc. The steering wheel just quivers back and forth. Please please GM recall this model before something bad happens to someone. (especially since there is no way to avoid this since it cannot be maintained)... after my repair, the car drives wonderfully, I just hope it lasts.

- Barnesville, GA, USA

Jan 032010

G6 6-cyl

A couple of weeks ago I lost power steering in a snow storm which caused my car to slide sideways and I was unable to steer out of the slide because I did not have power steering. My 2006 Pontiac G6 has the same steering problem that is on the recall for the G5. At low speeds the power steering will cut out on a left turn an a warning light with flash on my display. This has been an issue for my vehicle for over a year. I complained about it at that time and was directed to take my car into the dealership. I did a little research and discovered that the previous year was recalled for the same issue. I was told at the dealership that it would cost me $1,000 to fix the steering issue. I unfortunately do not have the money to pay this so I have had to deal with the loss of power steering since which is scary as the wheel will snatch itself out of my hands. Luckily I was stopped by a curb. I find this as a huge safety issue and can not believe that when I called about this resent recall I was told that I just have to deal with it myself. The other issue I would like to comment on is that my car seems to be put together with other model parts. I found out that my wiper blade are actually camaro blades because they ran out of G6 blades while my car was in production. So how do I know if my steering is not a G5 steering column? as you can see this is a very frustrating and dangerous. I just want them to do the right thing.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Feb 272010

G6

We have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and are having major issues with the power steering going out randomly. This generally occurs at low speeds and particularly in reverse trying to back out of parking spaces. I know this is a known problem and hope to have a recall issued to address this before the power steering begins to cut out at high speeds.

- Mckinney, TX, USA