NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 33 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 33 of 47)

Nov 182009

G6 6-cyl

Power steering has gone out in our 2006 Pontiac G6 three times now. Once while driving under 25 mph and twice while parked in a parking lot. It happens about once a week. You hear dinging and the display reads "power steering" the wheel becomes almost impossible to turn. The only way we have found to make it go away is to park the car and turn it on and off. We have not had the money to take it to the dealer to see if the problem can be corrected.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jan 102010

G6

Intermittent power steering failure on 2006 pont G6. After restarting car power steering resumes.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

May 162009

G6 6-cyl

Power steering failed on my 2006 Pontiac G6 gtp numerous times including after having parts replaced at the dealership about this problem more than once before. Steering wheel loses it's power ability but still functions. It has happened on and off and caused a small fender bender as I was not expecting it to fail.

- Ancaster, 00, USA

Jul 122009

G6

Power steering failure,1 to 3 times daily, this happens without warning, rear brake light do not work right there is a recall on this problem but I do not fall under the right VIN number, these have been a problem since I bought (with no warranty)this car, and these problems have been occurring since July of 2009 this car was bought in may of 2009.

- Guysbrough County, 00, USA

Jun 082008

G6

My power steering has been randomly going out in my car for about 2 years. I have not had the money to fix it so I have been waiting for GM to recall it. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 272010

G6

I have a '06 G6 gtp sedan, and my son has a '06 G6 gtp coupe. We have both experienced problems as described by others-clunking, clinking at parking speed. GM has known about this problem, and yet has refused to act on a solution at the dealer level. Data suggests no fatalities, = lack of action. Driving skill from my fellow Pontiac friends, thankfully saved them. Please, please help us, ,,,,

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 262010

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6, SE1 with a V^ engine. The intermediate steering column shaft was replaced under warranty at about 30,000 miles. It started acting up again at 50,000 miles. Come to find out when they replaced it originally, it was replaced by a defective part. Between the 2 mileage amounts, GM re-engineered the shaft. GM would not replace the part, they said it was my problem, that I had to pay for it. Now at 64,000 miles, my power steering motor needs to be replaced at a cost of $600. Seems they have a problem, but don't want to stand behind there product, unlike Toyota. The service manager at a local dealer said they have a recall going on now for a Chevy cobalt with the similar problem. GM needs to stand up and take care of this problem with there Pontiac. I've read hundreds of complaints on line, some having steering wheel lock up at high speeds, and acceleration. This must not end in tragedy for anyone.

- La Porte, IN, USA

Jul 162009

G6

My car started shaking really bad. It was when I just hit about 55 mph. I've also had the words "power steering" showing up on my diu while driving on the interstate, and yes, I had no "power steering" was lucky enough to pull off the road, after shutting car of and restarting it went back to normal! I then started doing my research to find out a lot of 2006 G6 have this problem. I'm sure I have to replace the steering column, which will cost a lot of money. Which I don't have!!!

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Aug 102008

G6

I purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 in 2008 with 22,000 miles. A year later my power steering just went out. I took it to the dealership where I purchased it and they reset the steering system. Later in the year it went out again and from that point everytime I make a right turn the steering goes out.

- Whiteville, NC, USA

Feb 022010

G6

In 2008 I took my 2006 Pontiac G6 to an independent mechanic because it was pulling to the left. After testing the alignment, I was told that there was a problem with the electronic steering. I was told by the independent mechanic to take it to the dealership because their had been numerous bulletins issued and it was an electrical problem. GM failed to repair my car of this prominent defect at their expense. Now 2 years later the issue has gotten to the point where the car steers on its own and we barely were able to get it to the dealership who has quoted me $1,753 to repair the steering column and position assist motor. GM must know this is a severe problem. Through my research I have found that they no longer use this type of steering and have gone back to the pump.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jan 182010

G6

I was driving my grandparents in my 2006 Pontiac G6 and while on the highway my power steering suddenly stopped working. Fortunately I was able to get off and right to a repair shop but this is an extremely unsafe problem to have. I've begun looking into common problems with this car and it seems there are a few other common problems that make this car unsafe to drive and give it a guaranteed expensive repair bill. The interior lights have also apparently shorted out and I will now be checking for a common problem I have heard in which the brake lights may be on even when the brakes are not being applied due to corrosion of a wire. These problems are very serious and could easily cause accidents, especially for a 20 year old first time car buyer like myself.

- Pawling, NY, USA

Feb 222010

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 sucks. The steering pops, brake always squeak eventhough I replaced the rotors and pads, and lose power steering. A week out of my extended warranty and they will not cover it. The same dealership where I brought 4 of the 5 cars I owned. All were GM models. I stood along that brand until now. I hope it totally goes out of business. Do some one have to die before this issue gets solved. Toyota is fixing their issue. American cars, service, and quality sucks. Never again will I buy GM cars.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Feb 202010

G6

Power steering on 2006 Pontiac G6. My G6 has a 3.5 liter engine. I have been noticing for quite some time now that if I was attempting a tight 3 point turn or making normal routine turns that it felt as if the power steering was going out. I thought that it might just be my imagination until the power steering light came on. I looked at the car manual and to my dismay there is no way to add steering fluid in my car. I looked up the information online to find that a large number of people are in the exact same position as myself. Everyone seems to have the same complaint and the same repairs and bills. This needs to be something that GM resolves as it seems to be a huge ongoing problem with these models and as a consumer not one that I believe should be coming out of my pocket. I seem to be one of the lucky ones that hasn't had it go out while driving at more than 10 miles per hour.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 172010

G6

Power steering light comes on and car looses power steering while driving. Once the car is turned off and then back on the power steering will reset itself and you can drive further. This happens very sporadically, nothing lets you know when it is about to happen. Doesn't manner the temp, amount of time the car has been running, turning, driving straight, speed. Extremely dangerous!!!

- Fairhope, AL, USA

Jan 282010

G6

Pontiac G6 steering defective. Makes popping sound at low speeds. Developed a serious shake felt almost like wheel was coming loose on front end of car. Steering pump shut down and lost control of car near miss head on accident. Driver in opposite lane veered out of way just in time to avoid head on crash.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Feb 122010

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 steering issues since car was new. At one point, completely lost power steering making car difficult, almost impossible, to control. Since then, steering making loud clunking noise when turning and difficult to control on uneven surfaces.

- Houston, PA, USA

Aug 112008

G6

Put car in automatic car wash, the car jerked left so hard that it punctured a tire while in the car wash. Went to purchase new tires and have them aligned and rotated. While trying to align tires on the rack when the car was running (on the rack) the wheel would jerk to left. The car would suddenly pull to the left with no warning. Was extremely difficult to turn to the right. When trying to correct by turning right you would be pulling so hard on the wheel that when it would release you would almost run off the other side of the road. Took to dealership and they re-calibrated the steering, car had 43,812 miles & I bought it brand new.

- Fairhope, AL, USA

Feb 082010

G6

Clunking or popping when turning at low speeds.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Dec 122009

G6

When driving the steering wheel turns with ease to left but very hard to the right. There is also a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel. In doing some research it sounds like I am only one of many with this same issue. Either the power steering or electric steering is faulty and needs to be recalled before someone is killed when driving because the steering column has failed.

- Saint Stephen, MN, USA

Feb 102010

G6

The other day, I was driving to school and my car started shaking really bad. It was when I just hit about 55 mph. Then, 2 days later, I get a dinging and the words "power steering" showing up on my diu. I was going around a corner, so it was difficult to turn. I then started doing my research to find out a lot of 2006 G6 have this problem. I am pretty sure I have to replace the steering column, which will cost a lot of money. Which I don't have right now, being a college student.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA