NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 35 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 35 of 47)

Dec 232009

G6

On December 23, 2009 the power steering light flashed on the information center. Not long after, the power steering failed to work. The power steering failed as we were making a turn, and it caused us to nearly hit another vehicle and cause an accident. We pulled into the nearest parking lot, turned the engine off, and then restarted the car. When we restarted the car, the power steering began to work again; however, the power steering light came on another two times that day. Since then, we have parked our vehicle, and have not drove it since. We researched this problem on the internet and have found numerous complaints of the same problem, and some of those complaints reported the power steering loss to cause accidents. It would be a shame to have one or multiple deaths over this issue, and it is a problem that needs to be remedied as soon as possible. Upon researching your website, we found a NHTSA action number PE07023 for a defect investigation pertaining to this problem due to an insufficient crimp in the steering column, but it only covered the 2005 model, not the 2006. About the beginning of 2009, the rack and pinion was replaced, and later a lubrication unit was added soon after that repair. However, since the power steering became faulty, we have not made an current repairs.

- Brimley, MI, USA

Dec 282009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 power steering becomes hard to turn. It is hard to control and happens at almost anytime. What happens if it locks up while going 65 with my two kids in the car. Warranty has expired and GM wouldn't fix it anyway. Also a loud clunking noise has started in the front of the car.

- Stillman Valley, IL, USA

Dec 272009

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6, V6 engine. 73,000 miles. Power steering problems. I was backing out of the driveway and the power steering went out, a light came on the dash that said "power steering". I pulled back into the driveway, turned off my car, restarted it, then it worked. The next time I used my car I was traveling on the highway, at a stop light, my steering wheel started to shake, then the power steering went out, again the light on the dash said "power steering". I turned off my car and restarted it, it was fine, I made it to the next stop light and the same thing happened. This happened a total of four times before I made it to a pep boys auto store, turned off my car, looked at the drivers manual where it showed a picture of the power steering cap and another picture of where it was located under the hood. I went inside purchased a bottle of power steering fluid, came back out, lifted the hood of my 2006 Pontiac G6 and couldn't find the power steering fluid reservoir. I asked for help, the gentleman who help me looked for this power steering reservoir, couldn't find it and advised that I take it to the dealer.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Dec 262006

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 makes a clicking noise coming from steering column when turning. Power steering light then flashes and locks up, causing total loss of control in steering the vehicle in the snow.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Dec 202009

G6

Power steering locks up. It occurs almost everytime I start my car. I have to restart my car multiple times. Nothing has been done to correct the problem. Car only has 52,000 miles on it.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Dec 202009

G6

During the last 2 days my power steering on my 2006 Pontiac G6 has had intermittent failure. During operation at moderate speeds, (35-45mph) the power steering has failed. In each event I have been able to reintiate the power steering by turning off the ignition and restarting the car. I will be taking it to be repaired as soon as possible, but have doubts that I will be able to get it fixed due to the intermittent failure.

- Fayetteville , NC, USA

Nov 302008

G6

Steering on my 2006 Pontiac G6 pulls to the left and needs constant correction while driving. Took my vehicle to my mechanic who aligned the vehicle, and advised me that this is a defect in the electronic steering. The pull is even more pronounced when I apply the brakes. The steering wheel spins all the way to the left if I am not holding it while brakes are being applied. I have not taken this to the GM dealership for repairs, because of the mileage it is now out of warranty. This defect became noticeable approximately 1 year ago.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Nov 012009

G6

Power steering failure occurs regularly. Steering will surge while driving and the power steering will not initiate upon starting the vehicle. No accident yet, but I am concerned that it will disengage while I am driving.

- Lantana, TX, USA

Nov 012009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The power steering warning light would illuminate upon starting the vehicle and would continue to illuminate until the vehicle was restarted. When she would attempt to make a left turn, the warning light would re-illuminate. On a separate occasion, while traveling at speeds of 70 mph, the power steering locked and she could not move the steering column. She was able to stop the vehicle safely. No repairs were made. The failure and current mileages were under 75,000.

- Nathas, TX, USA

Dec 152009

G6

The power steering in my Pontiac G6 does not work consistently. After I reverse out of the driveway and then try to turn the wheel it is often very tight. The power steering light comes on and the car locks up completely. Restarting it helps but constantly restarting a car in the middle of turning is a safety hazard. More recently instead of locking up the power steering of my car has been so loose that I feel I do not have control over it. From one day to the next I do not know how my car will handle, and I am concerned for my safety, especially with snow coming. When I brought the car into the shop, I was told, "there is one of three things wrong with the steering and to fix it would be expensive. Our suggestion would be to drive it until it gets even worse and then bring it back to be fixed. This is a common problem with the 2006, G6's." I don't understand why this has not been recalled. It is dangerous. I was really excited about getting this car. I love the features and don't want to get rid of it, but I no longer feel that I have control every day. The power steering varies too much.

- Georgetown, NY, USA

Nov 242009

G6

I have posted numerous complaints on this site relating to my 2006 Pontiac G6. To date I have not driven that vehicle since 11-25-09 due to faulty power steering. It became very unsafe to drive. The steering would go out every time I made a left turn and I drive a little over 30 miles to work one way daily so I was constantly having to turn the vehicle off and back sometimes to no avail. I think it is an awful shame because I still have to pay a note on this car and I cant drive it. GM has done a terrible job on two fronts; first, they made this faulty vehicle and now they wont stand behind their error and recall it.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Dec 012009

G6

Power steering module in 2006 Pontiac G6 4 door sedan stops working while vehicle is in motion. Makes wheel almost impossible to turn in order to control vehicle. This happens at least once per day.

- Benton, AR, USA

Dec 112009

G6

This morning as I was driving my son to school in my 2006 Pontiac G6. I stopped at a stop sign and I heard a 'ding ding'. I looked at my radio and it said "power steering failure". my steering wheel was locked up. I turned off my vehicle and restarted it, and it worked fine. I have 110,000 miles on my car. Is there any coverage for this component failing, or any recalls?

- Oblong, IL, USA

Dec 032009

G6

Front end shakes when putting on brakes and clunking noise in frontend when turning in both directions, sometimes feels like frontend or both front tires going to fall off. Dealer says the intermediate steering shaft needs replaced again. Serious frontend problems with 2006 Pontiac G. 35942 mi replaced steering gear, 60318 mi replaced intermediate steering shaft, 77538 mi catalytic converter replaced, 79660 mi after 5th time to dealership for squeaking noise installed tensioner and belt for air cond. Took them 5 trips before they could hear the noise, 83442 mi replaced both front hubs, 103865 mi replaced power steering motor and module, 113158 mi replaced rt front hub assembly again because dealership left my front hub bearing excessively loose when they changed my hubs at 83442 miles, 113430 mi dealership states I need intermittent shaft(they told me this was the same part I changed at 60318 miles). All this work has been done at the same dealership(randy marion in huntersville in nc). I seriously think we need a steering recall on all 2006 Pontiac G6. I have a case number with GM, but they say there is nothing they can do for me. No more GM's for me.

- Denver, NC, USA

Dec 082009

G6

Power steering failure on the electric motor, resulted in loss of ability to steer vehicle safely. Steering becomes nearly impossible.

- Collins, MS, USA

Jun 012009

G6

Pontiac G6 2006 power steering fails randomly and could easily cause a wreck. Especially with the snow starting to fall here in Utah it can be quite dangerous. The power steering fails when you turn to the left. I haven't had it happen when I turn right but always happens when turning left. It used to happen less frequently but occurs more often now. When the powering steering goes out it is very hard to turn. If you turn the car off and restart the powering steering comes back. Until you turn left again, then you are again driving with no powering steering. It kicks out anywhere during a turn and I feel in danger when driving because it's hard to turn it without power help. I feel even more in danger with snow on the road because quick movements with the steering could cause an easy slide out.

- West Haven, UT, USA

Nov 182009

G6

Clunking in the front end when turning.stated GM aware of ongoing problem and instead of lubricating the I-shaft as GM says to do it was replaced. If GM is aware of problem why hasn't I been addressed? it has been reported many times to NHTSA but its obvious GM is throwing it under the rug. I had an extended warranty but still had to pay $100 deductible which I don't feel I should as it is a known problem that GM is aware of. Not to mention the car has only 22707 miles on it. You don't have to worry GM because this is the last GM car my family will purchase. Probably many more people switch to a Ford or imports because of the garbage that are produced by GM not to mention how they don't stand behind something that they were aware of yet I had to pay anyway.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 032009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving the power steering warning light would intermittently illuminate on the instrument control panel, and then the power steering would fail. She contacted the dealer and a technician stated that she would have to pay $240 for a diagnostic fee to determine the cause of the failure. The Ford manufacturer has not been contacted. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 072009

G6

Before I bought the car I heard a clunking noise in the steering when I turned the wheel either way. I told the dealer that there was something wrong with the front end. If they fixed it, then I would buy the car. The dealer said there wasn't anything wrong with the car. Not 6 month later I was pulling out of a parking lot and my power steering stopped working and I could not turn the wheel. I pulled to a safe place and called my fiance. We were looking at the book and it said to check the power steering fluid with an illustration of where to check. After about 20 mins we gave up looking because we couldn't find it. Turns out this car has electrical powersteering. I had the car towed and called the GM corporate to complain about the problem. I spoke with dennis and he said there was nothing that can be done unless I had complained about the problem before. I told him I had and gave him the background. After all the run around you can imagine I called the local dealer and told them what was going on. They said they would check the car out free of charge for me and let me know what was going on. They called back and said it was the power steering motor and rod. Dennis at GM Corp said he has done all he can and would have to forward to a district specialist. In the meantime the dealer called me back and said he would fix it free of charge. Case# 71-783266100 was then closed with dennis at Corp. This is a serious, well documented recurring problem with this car and should be a recall.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Dec 052009

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6, on 12/5/09 my power steering warning light came on. I checked on line for defect investigations or recalls for this problem. There was an investigation # PE07023 for the electric steering system. GM was supposed to send out letters to extend the warranty to 70,000 miles or 7 years. My car as 47,000 miles I was wondering if that would be under warranty.

- Panama City, FL, USA