NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 36 of 48)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 36 of 48)

Nov 182009

G6

Clunking in the front end when turning.stated GM aware of ongoing problem and instead of lubricating the I-shaft as GM says to do it was replaced. If GM is aware of problem why hasn't I been addressed? it has been reported many times to NHTSA but its obvious GM is throwing it under the rug. I had an extended warranty but still had to pay $100 deductible which I don't feel I should as it is a known problem that GM is aware of. Not to mention the car has only 22707 miles on it. You don't have to worry GM because this is the last GM car my family will purchase. Probably many more people switch to a Ford or imports because of the garbage that are produced by GM not to mention how they don't stand behind something that they were aware of yet I had to pay anyway.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 032009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving the power steering warning light would intermittently illuminate on the instrument control panel, and then the power steering would fail. She contacted the dealer and a technician stated that she would have to pay $240 for a diagnostic fee to determine the cause of the failure. The Ford manufacturer has not been contacted. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 072009

G6

Before I bought the car I heard a clunking noise in the steering when I turned the wheel either way. I told the dealer that there was something wrong with the front end. If they fixed it, then I would buy the car. The dealer said there wasn't anything wrong with the car. Not 6 month later I was pulling out of a parking lot and my power steering stopped working and I could not turn the wheel. I pulled to a safe place and called my fiance. We were looking at the book and it said to check the power steering fluid with an illustration of where to check. After about 20 mins we gave up looking because we couldn't find it. Turns out this car has electrical powersteering. I had the car towed and called the GM corporate to complain about the problem. I spoke with dennis and he said there was nothing that can be done unless I had complained about the problem before. I told him I had and gave him the background. After all the run around you can imagine I called the local dealer and told them what was going on. They said they would check the car out free of charge for me and let me know what was going on. They called back and said it was the power steering motor and rod. Dennis at GM Corp said he has done all he can and would have to forward to a district specialist. In the meantime the dealer called me back and said he would fix it free of charge. Case# 71-783266100 was then closed with dennis at Corp. This is a serious, well documented recurring problem with this car and should be a recall.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Dec 052009

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6, on 12/5/09 my power steering warning light came on. I checked on line for defect investigations or recalls for this problem. There was an investigation # PE07023 for the electric steering system. GM was supposed to send out letters to extend the warranty to 70,000 miles or 7 years. My car as 47,000 miles I was wondering if that would be under warranty.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 102008

G6

I have had trouble with my power steering almost 2 years. I have had to the dealer numerous times. They initially replaced the powering steering motor while it was under warranty. I still have problems. I can start my car and the power steering message comes up on my messaging screen and I will not have power steering. This happens some mornings in my garage, at the end of a work day in the parking lot, when I am out of town at conferences, when I pick up my girls from the babysitter, etc. I have given up taking it to the dealership because they tell me there is nothing wrong with it. It is getting really old and I am afraid it will do it one of these days without warning and one of my children, myself or someone else will get hurt. I feel this is a serious safety hazard and after searching on line I have found that GM has been under investigation for this problem however a recall has not been made. I hope this is still under investigation and a recall is made soon. I have had nothing but bad luck with this car. I bought is brand new and had to take it back to the dealer the day after I bought it and drove a program car for one week because of a defect. This should have been a warning.

- Dixon, MO, USA

Nov 102009

G6

I bought a G6 new with 39 miles, it now has 28 thousand miles. Notices serious problems with braking, it shakes and when I try to stop it shutters. My steering is not good either, some days the steering will be nice and smooth and other days hard to turn. I also here a popping noise when I put my foot on gas pedal to drive.. the braking system is of major concern as they all are. My car is only three years old and only 28 thousand miles why has there not been a recall, it seems others out there are having the same problems, so it has to be the car. Before someone dies the government needs to call a mandatory recall, if the dealer won't..or replace our auto's with a safe one..

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Dec 032009

G6

My husband recently bought a Pontiac G6 used last year in September of 2008. The car was running fine till about September 2009, when the car became very difficult to steer. The power steering light never came on, so he assumed that our tires just might of needed some air. We filled our tires up and the problem seem to disappear. I am now the only one driving the car, and today December 3, 2009 the power steering light came on. I do not have difficulty turning, but I fear that I will soon and cause an accident. I tried to replace the power steering fluid only to find that it is electric. I plan to bring my car into a local mechanic tomorrow. In the meantime I did some research online to find that the majority of Pontiac G6 from 2006 have faulty powering steering. Owners have been spending lots of money on repairs that are only a temporary fix. Nothing seems to solve this problem. It is my only vehicle and now I am scared just to drive down the street, in fear of causing or being in an accident.

- Belfast, ME, USA

Nov 272009

G6

The power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G6 GT keeps going out...it goes out every time the car is cranked and driven. It makes a rattling noise and so very hard to turn. I have a 3 month old and can not drive this car like this. Dealership wants to charge me a little over $1000 to parts and labor but I know for a fact there is a recall on 2005 models...and one being worked for 2006...why isn't GM covering this?

- Seffner, FL, USA

Jan 022009

G6

Failure of power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G6.

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Nov 282009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 power steering locks up. While driving it get hard to steer if I pull over and shut off the car then restart it seems ok. Happens often enough to cause concern for an accident.

- Lawrence, MA, USA

May 012009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with a manufacture date of August 2005. The power steering goes out constantly on this vehicle(daily), regardless of temperature, speed, road conditions, backing-up, moving forward, turning, driving straight. I have found similar complaints (in the thousands) online. I was told that because I had no warranty nothing could be done other than paying a very large repair bill (900-1200). This is a very dangerous problem to have. I am currently financing this car and I think it's awful that they are still selling them. There are so many people who are having a similar issue please help us.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Nov 232009

Loss of steering assist.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Nov 012009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 that the steering is locking up. I have read a lot of complaints about this and would like to know why no recall. I got this car for my daughter now im scared to let her drive it.

- Coldwater, MI, USA

Nov 192009

G6

Faulty steering. When your driving it locks up and you have no control of the vehicle. Speed various between time to time when it happens. Has happened on several occasions.

- Cuyahoga Falls , OH, USA

Nov 192009

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 GT pulls to the left while I am driving. It has gotten progressively worse over the past year and I feel it is a safety issue. I had it inspected by 2 different auto mechanics, both of whom informed me that there are numerous complaints about this problem. Upon inspecting this car, it was determined that the power steering is engaging by itself and causing the steering to turn left without any driver input at the wheel. I feel that this is something that Pontiac should pay to repair, as it is a safety defect in the vehicle.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Sep 052009

G6

The power steering in my car gives out sporadically when making turns. It happens at least 3 times per week. No repairs have been made as of yet, since I am unable to afford them.

- Greentown, PA, USA

Nov 162009

G6

Random power steering failure while driving.

- Johnstown, OH, USA

Sep 142009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with electronic power steering. The steering rack failed approximately 15 months ago while the car was under warranty. When it failed the car became difficult to steer in one direction, the rack was replaced by GM. The rack has failed again and now literally locks up to where you cannot steer it. There are hundreds of complaints of this on the internet.

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Oct 012009

G6

Electric steering shorts out and you lose the power steering. It works fine and all of a sudden it is gone.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 152009

G6

While driving on the highway B/T 60 - 65 mph, heard a chime then steering wheel locked. Fortunately, we were on a relatively straight run of road and there were few cars, so my partner was able to drift the car up onto the grass. We had shut the engine immediately, but then thought it safer to move up further; upon starting the car, the steering returned. We drove home on the service road at 30 mph even though the steering felt back to normal. As I write, the car is at the dealer to investigate and hopefully resolve the problem.

- Selden, NY, USA