NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 36 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 36 of 47)

May 012009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with a manufacture date of August 2005. The power steering goes out constantly on this vehicle(daily), regardless of temperature, speed, road conditions, backing-up, moving forward, turning, driving straight. I have found similar complaints (in the thousands) online. I was told that because I had no warranty nothing could be done other than paying a very large repair bill (900-1200). This is a very dangerous problem to have. I am currently financing this car and I think it's awful that they are still selling them. There are so many people who are having a similar issue please help us.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Nov 232009

Loss of steering assist.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Nov 012009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 that the steering is locking up. I have read a lot of complaints about this and would like to know why no recall. I got this car for my daughter now im scared to let her drive it.

- Coldwater, MI, USA

Nov 192009

G6

Faulty steering. When your driving it locks up and you have no control of the vehicle. Speed various between time to time when it happens. Has happened on several occasions.

- Cuyahoga Falls , OH, USA

Nov 192009

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 GT pulls to the left while I am driving. It has gotten progressively worse over the past year and I feel it is a safety issue. I had it inspected by 2 different auto mechanics, both of whom informed me that there are numerous complaints about this problem. Upon inspecting this car, it was determined that the power steering is engaging by itself and causing the steering to turn left without any driver input at the wheel. I feel that this is something that Pontiac should pay to repair, as it is a safety defect in the vehicle.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Sep 052009

G6

The power steering in my car gives out sporadically when making turns. It happens at least 3 times per week. No repairs have been made as of yet, since I am unable to afford them.

- Greentown, PA, USA

Nov 162009

G6

Random power steering failure while driving.

- Johnstown, OH, USA

Sep 142009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with electronic power steering. The steering rack failed approximately 15 months ago while the car was under warranty. When it failed the car became difficult to steer in one direction, the rack was replaced by GM. The rack has failed again and now literally locks up to where you cannot steer it. There are hundreds of complaints of this on the internet.

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Oct 012009

G6

Electric steering shorts out and you lose the power steering. It works fine and all of a sudden it is gone.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 152009

G6

While driving on the highway B/T 60 - 65 mph, heard a chime then steering wheel locked. Fortunately, we were on a relatively straight run of road and there were few cars, so my partner was able to drift the car up onto the grass. We had shut the engine immediately, but then thought it safer to move up further; upon starting the car, the steering returned. We drove home on the service road at 30 mph even though the steering felt back to normal. As I write, the car is at the dealer to investigate and hopefully resolve the problem.

- Selden, NY, USA

Oct 012009

G6

My powersteering light comes on intermittently approximately every day which causes my 2006 G6 to lose the powersteering completely. I have taken my car into the dealership to have the issue diagnosed, they were unsure what the problem was, and was also informed that it could be the steering column, but would be very costly to replace. After looking online, it seems they are many other people having the same problem with their G6. It seems this would qualify for a recall.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Nov 112009

G6

The power steering on my 2006 Pontiac G-6 seems to be faulty. The manual is misleading because it makes you think you can add power steering fluid, but another page doesn't tell you where the fluid goes. When I look online, the car does not take power steering fluid. I think this needs to be investigated. Its not safe!

- Olathe, KS, USA

Nov 072009

G6

My Pontiac G6 2006 has a faulty power steering malfunction that almost resulted in a horrible crash. The car started up fine as usual, then on the road, the steering wheel locks making it unable to turn the wheel at all, and the power steering wheel light comes on. I drive on a freeway everyday and it almost resulted into a fatal crash, if I hadn't put on my hazardous lights immediately. The power steering wheel, to my surprise, does not use fluid rather is electronic. Therefore highly expensive, just for a diagnostic test, and then for repair. I strongly urge for this defect to be notified and be recalled for its dangerous potential consequences while on the road.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Nov 012009

G6

My car has been taken to the dealership now 4 times for problems with the steering. It was taken to the dealership on three separate occasions while it was still under warranty for a popping/cluncking noise in the steering. The dealership said it needed lubricating on one of the visits, it needed tie rod ends on one visit, and some part of the steering shaft was replaced on one occasion.none of which corrected the problem completely. On this last visit which was 11/09/09, nothing was done, because the dealer said it was an ongoing problem with GM, and the part they need to fix the car is backordered, so they cannot repair the problem. The car feels like it is all over the road while driving it. The last reason I took it to the dealer was because the steering wheel completely locked up while making a left turn from a dead stop. After the first three visits, the noise would go away for a week to a month and then return. I have read on internet sites, and I am not the only one with these problems. The car is not safe to drive with all of these steering related problems.

- Notasulga, AL, USA

Oct 262009

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. When driving she experiences difficult steering. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle will not be taken to the dealer until the vehicle is recalled for the failure. The failure mileage was 44000. The current mileage was 44747. Updated 12/07/09. Updated 12/08/09.

- Union Beach, NJ, USA

Sep 162008

G6

Car shakes really bad when brakes are applied, and a clunk noise is hear when turning.

- Toluca, 00, USA

Oct 312009

G6

I was driving my 2006 Pontiac G6 on 31 October 2009, I turn off the interstate and the power steering locked. Power steering lit on the radio and the wheel was hard to turn. I finally got to autozone and brought some fluid, but found out that there is no where to put it. I did some research and found out that this is electrical problem. I think GM need to do recall on this problem before some seriously get hurt.

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Jul 012009

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 and the power steering is sporadic on it. It started out that is wouldn't work for a couple of minutes after the car started. Then the time got increasingly longer. Know I can drive all the was home (26 miles) from work and it wont click on. When it does come on it give 3 dings on the warning system then you hear a click and then the power steering comes right back on. It has come on while making a turn before and because I have had to use a lot of force to turn I end up over turning and sometime going into the other lane causing a very dangerous situation. I don't feel that a car with only 60,000 miles should be having a major problem with it. From what I have seen on the internet this is a very dangerous and costly repair that in not being recall by the maker. Also when the power steering doesn't work and you are braking it shakes the steering wheel.

- Livonia, NY, USA

Oct 212009

G6

I bought a Pontiac 2006 from carmax in July of this year 2009 and had no problems until October of 2009. I went to the local gas station and got gas when I turned the car on I noticed that the power steering light was on and the wheel was extremely hard to turn. And I couldn't even find the place to put the fluid in at that time. I turned the car off and turned it back on and the light had gone off and the wheel was back to normal. I've since learned that the place where you put the fluid is located on the drivers side way down towards the bottom. I'm not sure but I do believe this is a recall issue. What if this had happened while I was driving with my two children? I called carmax and they told me that I would have to pay $75 for them to look at it and if it was a problem with the power steering my extended warranty would cover it. I don't feel that I should have to use my warranty or pay the $75 on this as, I'm seeing a whole lot of other people are having this issue with this car.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 102008

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problem. There is a audible "bump" noise when turning. Repaired under warranty and lasted for four months. Came back multiple times after, each time getting repaired and lasting a few months. Car suddenly steers extremely hard and requires great strength to steer out of danger.

- Largo, FL, USA