NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 39 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 39 of 47)

May 152009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 5 mph and proceeding to make a left turn, the steering wheel shook and jerked. Suddenly, the power steering failed. The driver had to exert greater effort to turn the steering wheel. The driver pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the engine. When the vehicle was restarted, the steering returned to normal. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and they stated that the steering crimp at the torque failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The cost for repair was estimated at $1,450. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 50,200 and current mileage was 50,300.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 222009

G6

Steering wheel starts jerking while sitting at a stop light and steering wheel was shaking while driving so bad that I thought I had a flat tire. I have not had an accident yet and I hope that I don't, but I don't have the funds to take the car to a mechanic. This all happened on the first day of my power steering problems, it also read power steering across my radio that's how I know its my power steering. And as I look into this problem I see that many people are having the same safety problem.

- Denver, NC, USA

Jul 192009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While attempting to steer the vehicle, the power steering failed. Through online research, the contact discovered numerous complaints regarding the power steering and how it was a common issue for his year, make, and model vehicle. The vehicle has not been diagnosed for this issue. He feels that the vehicle is unsafe because it is difficult to steer and could cause a crash. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was 63,936 and failure mileage was 63,934.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 182009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the electrical steering made a clicking and popping noise near the steering wheel. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that this was normal for the G6 models. She visited the dealer at least three times because the noise worsened over time. Recently, the power steering completely malfunctioned. The contact had to turn off and restart the vehicle to reset the steering. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel would jerk back and forth. The vehicle has not been repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The current mileage was 65,528 and failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 142009

G6

Loss of power steering assist due to failure of the torque sensor on 2006 G6. This the exact same problem that the 2005 pontian G6 had a recall on. This has now happened twice within a month.

- Germantown, OH, USA

Jul 012009

G6

About a month ago I noticed intermittent power steering failure. It usually occurred when I was slowly backing out of my driveway or a parking space. When this would occur it was obviously very difficult to turn the wheel, I would then put the vehicle in park and restart it. This seemed to fix the problem for a while. Within the last couple of weeks the power steering is going out daily under these circumstances and now goes out occasionally while the vehicle is moving forward. It seems to only happen at relatively slow speeds such as making a turn, however I am very concerned that this will also happen at higher speeds. I understand that this was an issue on earlier years of this vehicle and I hope this problem will be resolved. A mechanic told me I should report this to you as he has seen it many times with my type of vehicle. He also told me that the repair would be around $750.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 it has 26,000 miles on it and it makes a clunking noise when you turn the steering wheel.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Jun 202008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the power steering motor failed and needed to be replaced. The necessary repairs were made; however, the power steering warning light continued to illuminate. In addition, the steering wheel would make a grinding noise when turned in either direction. The failure and current mileages were less than 70,300.

- St. Pertersburg, FL, USA

Jun 292009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost all power steering ability. Prior to the failure, the contact heard a popping sound coming from the steering wheel whenever she turned the vehicle. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 19,055.

- Yuba, CA, USA

Jun 082009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 power steering locks up and you can not turn the wheel.

- Corner Brook, 00, USA

Mar 012009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contac'ts vehicle experienced a loss of power steering four times within two months. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times for repair. During the first and second visits, the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. During the third visit, the contact called the manufacturer and they ran several tests. It was concluded that the warning light on the instrument panel was normal and the power steering overheated, which was also normal. The contact was advised to continue driving the vehicle until the power steering failed again. The failure recurred and the vehicle is currently at the dealer for the fourth time. All of the incidents occurred while driving low speeds, such as 10 mph or entering and leaving parking lots. Each time the power steering failed, the contact had to pull the vehicle over and restart it so that the power steering would reset back to normal. The failure mileage was 45,000 and current mileage was 47,000.

- Pearl City, HI, USA

May 192009

G6

The power steering of my 2006 Pontiac G6 locks up while driving. My car has about 65,000 miles on it. It does it most often when driving in and out of parking lots.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

May 292009

G6

Faulty brakes and steering on 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. Very dangerous! I've had rotors turned at 7000 miles, 14000 miles, 24000, miles and just recently at 32000 miles. They must be poor quality. I've been driving vehicles for many years without brake service for 50000 + miles. Warranty is almost up (in 2 weeks) and I'm nervous. Had steering components replaced because of a popping noise and shimmying front end as well as both tie rod ends (seems a little too soon for all that!). current mileage is 33,500. I don't have money to keep pouring into this lemon after my warranty is out. I am not currently having any problems, but with all of the complaints I've already read, I'm sure more issues are coming! what is wrong with GM! no wonder they are bankrupt. Who wants this kind of "quality" vehicle they claim to make. Unfortunately, there are other GM models with the same steering and brake issues. Someone will be killed and then heaven help GM! lawsuit! issue a recall for god's sake! step up to the plate if you want to restore consumer confidence. Start making real "quality" vehicles like you use to. You can buy back my G6 anytime! all I've ever purchased is GM, but now I'll go buy a Ford.

- Davenport, IA, USA

G6

I am registering a complaint regarding the power steering failure of my 2006 Pontiac G6. The problem has been repaired two times; however, neither Pontiac nor the dealership will complete this third repair since the 36,000 mile warranty has expired. The steering column continues to pop with every turn, and now the steering freezes when torque is applied to turn corners whether backing up or driving forward. Therefore, I lose control of the steering ability while driving! this car is unsafe, and I am afraid to drive it; however, this is my only vehicle. I have found hundreds of the same complaints on various websites and would like to know why a recall has not been issued for this problem.

- Fredericktown, OH, USA

Jan 012007

G6

There is a clunking noise whenever turning to the left. Apparently a lot of G6 owners are experiencing this problem.

- Louisburg, KS, USA

Jun 102009

G6

This complaint is in regards to my 2006 Pontiac G6 sedan. Over the past year and a half, I have had intermittent issues with the power steering on this vehicle. The problem was first noticed in early 2008 (~February) when I attempted to park my car. When turning into the parking place, power steering went out. I turned off the vehicle, restarted it, and the problem was corrected. On my way home from that errand, the power steering again went out. I again restarted the vehicle and everything worked fine. Since that time, I have had similar incidents happen 10-12 times, but the problem was resolved each time when the vehicle restarted. In each instance I was in a parking lot or traveling at a low speed, making my solution plausible. Over the past week, however, the problem has worsened considerably. Whenever turning hard in either direction (particularly when going downhill) I lose power steering. It is an absolute fight to keep the vehicle on the road. Additionally, this is accompanied by a very loud whirring/whining/clunking sound that continues until the car comes to a stop. I will be visiting a dealer tomorrow for repairs, but have noticed how many other people have this problem with 2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles (search google!). I wanted to document this, and request your help in correcting this very bad safety issue before too many people are injured as a result.

- Maineville, OH, USA

May 222009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 - power steering locks up also, turning makes a terrible noise occurs periodically.........have to stop car (which can be difficult with no steering), turn if off, and restart it.........then steering works again for awhile very dangerous. Have had several close calls..........being rear-ended and causing pile-ups!

- Vincennes, IN, USA

Jun 032009

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G-6 GT has had a power steering failure six(6) times after reaching 36,000 driven miles. The powering goes out and the dashboard sends an electronic "powering steering failure". the car reverts to manual regular steering mode which is very difficult to control, creating a very unsafe condition while driving.

- Flowery Branch , GA, USA

Jun 082006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact noticed that the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Shortly after, the steering column locked. The contact had to restart the vehicle in order for it to work properly. An authorized technician stated that the power steering was the cause of the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and current mileage was 93,000.

- Pascagoula, MS, USA

G6

When I turn my wheel to the right then crank it back to the left I hear a "popping" or "knocking" noise. I have not noticed any decrease in my ability to control the car as of yet. I just bought the car as a "certified-used" car so it went through GM's 117-pt inspection. I ran a carfax history report and it was a single owner (lease) and was not involved in any accidents. A lot of other G6S have had similar problems from what I have read.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA