NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 39 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 39 of 47)

Aug 072009

G6

My Pontiac G6 power steering signal was coming own for repair. I took it to the dealership for repair and found that I needed a new motor pump. The motor got replaced, but that same night I got the same message on my dash about power steering. I took my car back to dealer for another look at the car and they found that my steering column needs repair. I couldn't believe that my steering wheel needs repair considering my car is only 3 years old. My warranty did not cover this specific problem, so I called GM to report the problem and they told me they couldn't do anything. This is a factory problem due to the fact that the car has only 47,000 miles and that its not common for these type of problems early in the mileage. My car is not drivable due to accident concerns, this could really cause death because it pops on out of nowhere and locks your steering wheel. Imagine being on the highway and everyone is going 50-60 mph and you loose control of your car al of a sudden. This really needs to be recalled, and I see a lot of people has had this same problem early in there mileage on Pontiac G6 models (2006). This has to be taken serious or someone could loose there life and things could get real bad for GM.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152006

G6

Like a ton of other complaints I have been experiencing intermittent power steering failure with my 2006 Pontiac G6 GT at 50-53K miles. It usually occurs when backing out of the my garage or after making a few turns. Power steering is displayed on the computer and assisted power steering goes completely out. Similar to other I would shut the car off for a 10-15 minutes and it would go away. Within the last week the power steering is going out daily and now is occasionally happening while driving. I have talked to a few mechanics and they have told me they have seen this many times on the 2005 and 2006 Pontiac G6's because this was Pontiac's first attempt at electronic power steering vs. Pump.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 122009

G6

Steering 50000 miles ball joints are shot are you kidding never heard of this maybe 100000 plus miles on any car.need watch dogs on these foreign parts these front steering parts made in piilpplies"??? we put on these GM cars buy american buy Hyundai 10yr 100000 miles warranty im trading mine in might get clunker price this lost will be cheaper in long run than paying out of my pocket to keep this Pontiac G6 safe. All these complaints on steering problems no one cares??"

- Lima, OH, USA

Sep 252007

G6

I purchased my 2006 Pontiac G6 in July of 2006. When I received it had 300 miles on it and have loved it ever since. I would say I noticed a slight popping noise and I felt it as well when I make turns. Shortly after that my brakes began to sputter and cause my front end to shake when I applied my brakes every so often. For about a year now I have noticed that they shake every single time I apply my brakes and it gets worse and worse each day. One last item of concern is regarding the steering of my car on roads and highways/ freeways. My car is uncontrollable when driving causing it to shift to the left and right quickly making it hard to keep on the road which is hazardous to my safety and to the safety of my passengers. I have read up on these issues and it came to my attention that numerous owners of this vehicle have had the exact same problems so I know that it has nothing to do with the way I drive my car. I am satisfied with my car otherwise, but am extremely disappointed in the issues I am facing today on a car that is only three years old with 33,000 miles on it.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Aug 052009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 I just started noticing that my car at low speeds made a clunking noise. And it is driving me crazy its not so bad at higher speeds but today when I was backing up out of my driveway my steering locked up I had to shut it off and restart the car. I am truly afraid to drive this car now.

- Nokomis, FL, USA

Jul 222009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving in reverse at a low speed, the power steering light illuminated and the power steering completely failed. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle to allow it to reset itself. The failure occurred at least three times. The contact will schedule an appointment with the dealer for further inspection. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Monticello, IL, USA

May 152009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 5 mph and proceeding to make a left turn, the steering wheel shook and jerked. Suddenly, the power steering failed. The driver had to exert greater effort to turn the steering wheel. The driver pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the engine. When the vehicle was restarted, the steering returned to normal. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and they stated that the steering crimp at the torque failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The cost for repair was estimated at $1,450. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 50,200 and current mileage was 50,300.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 222009

G6

Steering wheel starts jerking while sitting at a stop light and steering wheel was shaking while driving so bad that I thought I had a flat tire. I have not had an accident yet and I hope that I don't, but I don't have the funds to take the car to a mechanic. This all happened on the first day of my power steering problems, it also read power steering across my radio that's how I know its my power steering. And as I look into this problem I see that many people are having the same safety problem.

- Denver, NC, USA

Jul 192009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While attempting to steer the vehicle, the power steering failed. Through online research, the contact discovered numerous complaints regarding the power steering and how it was a common issue for his year, make, and model vehicle. The vehicle has not been diagnosed for this issue. He feels that the vehicle is unsafe because it is difficult to steer and could cause a crash. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was 63,936 and failure mileage was 63,934.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 182009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the electrical steering made a clicking and popping noise near the steering wheel. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that this was normal for the G6 models. She visited the dealer at least three times because the noise worsened over time. Recently, the power steering completely malfunctioned. The contact had to turn off and restart the vehicle to reset the steering. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel would jerk back and forth. The vehicle has not been repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The current mileage was 65,528 and failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 142009

G6

Loss of power steering assist due to failure of the torque sensor on 2006 G6. This the exact same problem that the 2005 pontian G6 had a recall on. This has now happened twice within a month.

- Germantown, OH, USA

Jul 012009

G6

About a month ago I noticed intermittent power steering failure. It usually occurred when I was slowly backing out of my driveway or a parking space. When this would occur it was obviously very difficult to turn the wheel, I would then put the vehicle in park and restart it. This seemed to fix the problem for a while. Within the last couple of weeks the power steering is going out daily under these circumstances and now goes out occasionally while the vehicle is moving forward. It seems to only happen at relatively slow speeds such as making a turn, however I am very concerned that this will also happen at higher speeds. I understand that this was an issue on earlier years of this vehicle and I hope this problem will be resolved. A mechanic told me I should report this to you as he has seen it many times with my type of vehicle. He also told me that the repair would be around $750.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jun 012009

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 it has 26,000 miles on it and it makes a clunking noise when you turn the steering wheel.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Jun 202008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the power steering motor failed and needed to be replaced. The necessary repairs were made; however, the power steering warning light continued to illuminate. In addition, the steering wheel would make a grinding noise when turned in either direction. The failure and current mileages were less than 70,300.

- St. Pertersburg, FL, USA

Jun 292009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost all power steering ability. Prior to the failure, the contact heard a popping sound coming from the steering wheel whenever she turned the vehicle. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 19,055.

- Yuba, CA, USA

Jun 082009

G6

2006 Pontiac G6 power steering locks up and you can not turn the wheel.

- Corner Brook, 00, USA

Mar 012009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contac'ts vehicle experienced a loss of power steering four times within two months. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times for repair. During the first and second visits, the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. During the third visit, the contact called the manufacturer and they ran several tests. It was concluded that the warning light on the instrument panel was normal and the power steering overheated, which was also normal. The contact was advised to continue driving the vehicle until the power steering failed again. The failure recurred and the vehicle is currently at the dealer for the fourth time. All of the incidents occurred while driving low speeds, such as 10 mph or entering and leaving parking lots. Each time the power steering failed, the contact had to pull the vehicle over and restart it so that the power steering would reset back to normal. The failure mileage was 45,000 and current mileage was 47,000.

- Pearl City, HI, USA

May 192009

G6

The power steering of my 2006 Pontiac G6 locks up while driving. My car has about 65,000 miles on it. It does it most often when driving in and out of parking lots.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

May 292009

G6

Faulty brakes and steering on 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. Very dangerous! I've had rotors turned at 7000 miles, 14000 miles, 24000, miles and just recently at 32000 miles. They must be poor quality. I've been driving vehicles for many years without brake service for 50000 + miles. Warranty is almost up (in 2 weeks) and I'm nervous. Had steering components replaced because of a popping noise and shimmying front end as well as both tie rod ends (seems a little too soon for all that!). current mileage is 33,500. I don't have money to keep pouring into this lemon after my warranty is out. I am not currently having any problems, but with all of the complaints I've already read, I'm sure more issues are coming! what is wrong with GM! no wonder they are bankrupt. Who wants this kind of "quality" vehicle they claim to make. Unfortunately, there are other GM models with the same steering and brake issues. Someone will be killed and then heaven help GM! lawsuit! issue a recall for god's sake! step up to the plate if you want to restore consumer confidence. Start making real "quality" vehicles like you use to. You can buy back my G6 anytime! all I've ever purchased is GM, but now I'll go buy a Ford.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jun 012009

G6

I am registering a complaint regarding the power steering failure of my 2006 Pontiac G6. The problem has been repaired two times; however, neither Pontiac nor the dealership will complete this third repair since the 36,000 mile warranty has expired. The steering column continues to pop with every turn, and now the steering freezes when torque is applied to turn corners whether backing up or driving forward. Therefore, I lose control of the steering ability while driving! this car is unsafe, and I am afraid to drive it; however, this is my only vehicle. I have found hundreds of the same complaints on various websites and would like to know why a recall has not been issued for this problem.

- Fredericktown, OH, USA