NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 41 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 41 of 47)

Apr 162009

G6

The steering on my Pontiac G6 failed while turning left into a parking spot. It has approximately 60,000 miles on it and has been taken in twice before for noises in the front end, neither time was anything found. It is also jerking intermittently. After researching this issue and seeing all of the other incidents, I felt it important to report my own problem.

- Chester, VA, USA

Mar 192009

G6

Periodically - has happened 4 times in 2 years my 2006 G6 will loose its power steering. I have had my garage check the car they said the fluid is good no problems. When it happened last time I stopped, turned the car off and let it sit for a minute then turned the car back on and the power steering resumed. I'm hoping I don't loose the steering at 65 mph on the thruway. Not safe have had problems since I bought the car. I will never buy a Pontiac again!

- Adams Center, NY, USA

Oct 292008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 20 mph on normal road conditions, the contact heard a loud clunking noise outside of the vehicle. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and remained lit until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer for inspection and they stated that the rack and pinion failed. The vehicle was repaired for free. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer on three separate occasions for the same failure, but there were no resolutions. The vehicle is in the process of being repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and current mileage was 71,800.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Nov 202008

G6

Power steering warning light would come on intermittently. Car would become difficult to steer. Over time, power steering is out 80% of time. Has been to dealer several times with no resolution. This time they say they can't find problem and car is out of warranty now. Problem will eventually cause somebody major accident or even fatality.

- Friendship, NY, USA

Jul 252007

G6

Continued steering/front end problems causing popping, clicking, unsteady steering/drifting and premature wearing on tires resulting in frequent replacement. - known factory/manufacturer defect with no replacement parts by manufacturer;GM admits to defect with no remedy-no recall. First report 7-25-07 without remedy. - - vehicle unsafe - - should not be available for resale. Has been returned to freedom Pontiac in odessa Texas due to unsafe condition.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Apr 032009

G6

The power steering went out while driving my 2006 Pontiac G6. Car is at 51,000 miles. I noticed there is 7 year/70,000 miles extended coverage on the 2005 Pontiac G6's for the same issue. Trying to work things out with GM but am constantly being told that my VIN doesn't fall under this category - which I understand. The point is, the dealer confirmed this is the same issue as the bulletin states with the my 2005. This is a huge safety issue!! someone will get seriously hurt if the issue isn't addressed soon!! poor customer service, outsourced to the phillipines, will sway me from ever purchasing from GM again.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Mar 312009

G6

Just talked with the dealer about the return of the clunking noise in my Pontiac G6. Had my car at the dealer two years ago and they repaired the problem known as the steering intermediate shaft. Unfortunately, for me they only warranted the replacement for one year. Probably for their own benefit as GM obviously knows about this problem and has done nothing to fix it. The service manager's reply to why I had to replace this again cars do break down. What kind of response is that" now I can't afford to replace this again, and could potentially wreck my car if I don't, but have no choice. This is a major safety issue and the manufacturer has not corrected the known problem for years. As a consumer, this is not right and they should recall this problem. I mean how many times to I have to have this fixed before it becomes a recall"

- Galloway, OH, USA

Feb 012009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G-6. within the last few months I have had problems with my steering. At random times at least daily, it will become tough to manage my wheel and steer. This is usually because the wheel begins to shake uncontrollably. There does not seem to be any pattern to when it occurs. It can happen when I just turn the car on or when I am out on the freeway. Nor does there seem to be any one thing that makes it stop. When I took it to the dealer they could find nothing wrong and informed me the car is piloting a new electronic steering system. They claim a little shaking as the wheel finds its "reference center" are normal. The stiff wheel and shaking I experience do not seem normal although it the system appears to be working correctly. I find it especially troublesome when it randomly happens as I am traveling 60 mph down a freeway in the pouring rain and it becomes hard to control my wheel. The dealer did try to reset my electronic system and zero out the wheel. This was to no avail. However, they claimed they have seen an increasing number of issues with the G-6 electronic steering system. Although I have not had an accident yet I am afraid of what might happen in the future if my strength is unable to overcome the car's steering tendency that makes it shake and resistant to control. I do not see how it is acceptable for cars just over three years old to be having steering issues of this magnitude.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Mar 022007

G6

Front end clucking noise dealer said steering assembly was faulty, no recall just a service bulletin for the repair. Many Pontiac are having this problem. When turning from a stop or going over bumps I hear a loud noise coming from the front of the car, both right and left side.

- Avon, OH, USA

Mar 222009

G6

I have had numerous issues with my 2006 Pontiac G6 power steering. I have had it into the dealer who says repeatedly they cannot replicate the problem. It was initially occurring when turning into a parking spot slowly but now has increased to just a turn on the road. I have to pull over to the side of the road/highway and restart my car which then resets the power steering. In atlanta traffic, this can be very dangerous. I have researched this issue and it seems there are thousands of owners with the same issue. Initial recall action was being considered back in 2007 but nothing has been formally done. I was planning on my son using the car when he turns 16 but this is a major issue that GM should be correcting for its consumers! thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 112008

G6

Problems with the steering system. Clicking noises and steering wheel is loose. I took my car to the dealer and they told me that they fix the problem, they charge me $120 but a week later the same problem occurred.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Mar 162009

G6

Power steering failure without provocation. Problem started while driving on the interstate and during a lane shift the power steering went out almost causing an accident. The problem continues on and off. It is my wife's car I no longer allow her to drive it due to the fear of it going out on her and her inability to control the vehicle.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Sep 152007

G6

Began popping when I turned any direction, had it checked out by the Pontiac dealer, said the power steering needed greased. 2 weeks later began again, took it back in, they decided the rack and pinion needed replaced. Had that replaced, 1 month later, same thing. Had it fixed again. About 2 months it has started it again. Also the airconditioner has quit twice. Trading it off tomorrow! have had the car three years. Was brand new when bought.

- Big Spring, TX, USA

Mar 102009

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 has a problem with the steering column in which it starts making a loud clunking noise when I turn. The steering column has to be lubed every 3 or 4 months just about and that gets very expensive. This is a 3 year old car and I should not have to be taking it to the dealer every few months and paying money to have a steering column lubed. This will be the 3rd time since I bought the car, less then a year ago that I have had to take this car in to have the intermediate shaft in the steering column lubed. I've noticed on the internet forums that many, many people also have this problem and the shops I've taken it to have said that they have had a bunch of these cars with the same problem.

- Aurora, CO, USA

May 072007

G6

Steering column makes a clunking noise whenever you turn the wheel to the left or right. The front tires makes a metal to metal grinding noise when driving. The car has only twenty three thousand miles. Over $2,500 in repairs by a certified dealer and the car still runs and drive like something you borrow from a junk yard.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 022009

G6

Electric power steering failed while making a left hand turn.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Aug 262008

G6

I had a clunking noise on the left front of my vehicle - I took it in for an oil change and had the shop review steering issue - ball joint was bad replaced same along w/ lower control arm and completed and alignment - also had new tires put on vehicle then a popping noise occurred when turning to the left, my car even jumped the track at a car wash and I had to reverse out of the car wash and hold my steering wheel throughout the entire car wash. I then took to a dealership and was determined I needed to have the intermediate steering link replaced, power steering motor and stabilizer bar link replaced - damaged parts have been disposed of.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 012009

G6

The car has been having electronic steering issues freezing up while driving and now it cause a wreck, there asre several complaints online about this problem and I was just wondering why a recall hasn't been put out? it has happen 10 to 12 times until I scheduled it to go in the dealership but cause a wreck before I could get it there.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Mar 092009

G6

I have contacted GM on NHTSA action # PE07023 and they state they have not changed the warranty to 7yrs or 70,000. I have already filed complaint confirmation #10261076 with NHTSA. Thank you.

- Chatham , IL, USA

Feb 242009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5. the power steering is starting to go in and out. When turning at times it gets really hard to steer.

- Chatham, IL, USA