NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 41 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 41 of 47)

May 082009

G6

I was turning into the parking lot at my child's school and the power steeling failed-again. I nearly lost control of the car with children all around. This is the 2nd time this type of incident has happened with this car. The 1st occurred 10months ago when I was turning onto a highway and the power steering went out. At that time I was nearly hit by oncoming traffic. The car (2006 Pontiac G6) was taken to the dealer and they could not determine what was wrong with the power steering and replaced everything. Now, 10 months and 6000 miles later it happens again. This car only has 34,000 miles on it and is now having the power steering replaced for the second time - now at a cost of over $1,000 to me. Both times people could have been seriously injured. I am now fearful to even drive my car much less let my children get in it. I have researched this model online and have found hundreds of people who have made similar complaints, yet there still has not been a recall of these cars. Will the government wait until there are fatalities in order to step in and do something?

- Clark, NJ, USA

May 052009

G6

The power steering on my Pontiac G6 is constantly acting up. I have had several different shops looked into the problem and still the steering wheel will tighten up while I am driving. Does someone has to die or get hurt before this problem is taken care of. I am not the only one having this problem, there are several with complaints on the internet. Everytime I go drive it seem like I have to wrestle with the steering wheel. What kind of car have powersteering problem, but no power steering pump to fix the problem. I was scared out of my mind last night when I turned on the expressway and my steering wheel tighten up on me. It was all I could do to pull over and restart my car. After I restarted my car, all was fine for the moment. Something is not right with the power steering in these cars. I would hope that no one gets hurt or die from this problem. When it should have been corrected in 07 when it first started.

- Bolivar, TN, USA

Jan 082009

Clunking in steering...unsafe.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Apr 182009

G6

After driving for a little while my power steering goes completely out causing loss of control of my vehicle. Thank god I have not been in an accident..yet. I've had it in to the dealer once, but they were unable to duplicate the problem. I was instructed that next time it happens to drive immediately to the dealership without turning the car off. Apparently since it's electric steering whenever the car is shut off it resets itself. Last night it happened twice. Of course, the dealership was closed. I'm honestly afraid to be in my car. I have anxiety just waiting for the problem to occur. This morning my hope is to just drive around and wait for the problem to occur, drive to the dealership to prove to them the problem, then try and find a way to work. I hope this will fix the problem. I already had to pay to have a new steering column installed. I'm starting to think that there's a bigger issue going on with G6's.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Apr 242009

G6

The car was purchased from auction in April of 2006. I have had the car three years now. From the time that I purchased the car I have had problems with it starting. It will turn over but dies immediately after it starts. It usually take three tries before it will start. Today I got in my car and turned the key nothing would come on, no lights no radio no noise nothing. I thought it was the battery. I tried it three times and then on the fourth time it started like normal. I checked the battery and it is fine. I have had it in the service department three times for this issue but because it would no do it at that time they could not determine what is wrong with it, the diagnostic test did not show anything. The service airbag warning also keeps dinging. I have taken it in and they reset it and said it was ok, now it keeps doing the same thing but it is not covered by warranty to have it serviced. I have had trouble with the powersteering also. There are times it will be extremely hard to turn and then in a few seconds it is extremely easy and now in the last few months I have had problems with the brakes. The brake pads were replaced two months ago and about two weeks after they were replaced they have started making a really loud squeaking noise and sometimes a grinding noise. Not sure what needs to be done since the brakes were just maintenance. The car has been very dependable but I am afraid that it will not stay that way for long.

- College Station, TX, USA

Feb 202009

G6

I own a Pontiac G6 V6 with serious power steering problems when backing my vehicle and a thumping noise under the left hood. The power steering goes out daily. The dealership has informed me that GM has put out a service bulletin on this vehicle.

- Erie, PA, USA

Apr 162009

G6

The steering on my Pontiac G6 failed while turning left into a parking spot. It has approximately 60,000 miles on it and has been taken in twice before for noises in the front end, neither time was anything found. It is also jerking intermittently. After researching this issue and seeing all of the other incidents, I felt it important to report my own problem.

- Chester, VA, USA

Mar 192009

G6

Periodically - has happened 4 times in 2 years my 2006 G6 will loose its power steering. I have had my garage check the car they said the fluid is good no problems. When it happened last time I stopped, turned the car off and let it sit for a minute then turned the car back on and the power steering resumed. I'm hoping I don't loose the steering at 65 mph on the thruway. Not safe have had problems since I bought the car. I will never buy a Pontiac again!

- Adams Center, NY, USA

Oct 292008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 20 mph on normal road conditions, the contact heard a loud clunking noise outside of the vehicle. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and remained lit until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer for inspection and they stated that the rack and pinion failed. The vehicle was repaired for free. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer on three separate occasions for the same failure, but there were no resolutions. The vehicle is in the process of being repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and current mileage was 71,800.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Nov 202008

G6

Power steering warning light would come on intermittently. Car would become difficult to steer. Over time, power steering is out 80% of time. Has been to dealer several times with no resolution. This time they say they can't find problem and car is out of warranty now. Problem will eventually cause somebody major accident or even fatality.

- Friendship, NY, USA

Jul 252007

G6

Continued steering/front end problems causing popping, clicking, unsteady steering/drifting and premature wearing on tires resulting in frequent replacement. - known factory/manufacturer defect with no replacement parts by manufacturer;GM admits to defect with no remedy-no recall. First report 7-25-07 without remedy. - - vehicle unsafe - - should not be available for resale. Has been returned to freedom Pontiac in odessa Texas due to unsafe condition.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Apr 032009

G6

The power steering went out while driving my 2006 Pontiac G6. Car is at 51,000 miles. I noticed there is 7 year/70,000 miles extended coverage on the 2005 Pontiac G6's for the same issue. Trying to work things out with GM but am constantly being told that my VIN doesn't fall under this category - which I understand. The point is, the dealer confirmed this is the same issue as the bulletin states with the my 2005. This is a huge safety issue!! someone will get seriously hurt if the issue isn't addressed soon!! poor customer service, outsourced to the phillipines, will sway me from ever purchasing from GM again.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Mar 312009

G6

Just talked with the dealer about the return of the clunking noise in my Pontiac G6. Had my car at the dealer two years ago and they repaired the problem known as the steering intermediate shaft. Unfortunately, for me they only warranted the replacement for one year. Probably for their own benefit as GM obviously knows about this problem and has done nothing to fix it. The service manager's reply to why I had to replace this again cars do break down. What kind of response is that" now I can't afford to replace this again, and could potentially wreck my car if I don't, but have no choice. This is a major safety issue and the manufacturer has not corrected the known problem for years. As a consumer, this is not right and they should recall this problem. I mean how many times to I have to have this fixed before it becomes a recall"

- Galloway, OH, USA

Feb 012009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G-6. within the last few months I have had problems with my steering. At random times at least daily, it will become tough to manage my wheel and steer. This is usually because the wheel begins to shake uncontrollably. There does not seem to be any pattern to when it occurs. It can happen when I just turn the car on or when I am out on the freeway. Nor does there seem to be any one thing that makes it stop. When I took it to the dealer they could find nothing wrong and informed me the car is piloting a new electronic steering system. They claim a little shaking as the wheel finds its "reference center" are normal. The stiff wheel and shaking I experience do not seem normal although it the system appears to be working correctly. I find it especially troublesome when it randomly happens as I am traveling 60 mph down a freeway in the pouring rain and it becomes hard to control my wheel. The dealer did try to reset my electronic system and zero out the wheel. This was to no avail. However, they claimed they have seen an increasing number of issues with the G-6 electronic steering system. Although I have not had an accident yet I am afraid of what might happen in the future if my strength is unable to overcome the car's steering tendency that makes it shake and resistant to control. I do not see how it is acceptable for cars just over three years old to be having steering issues of this magnitude.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Mar 022007

G6

Front end clucking noise dealer said steering assembly was faulty, no recall just a service bulletin for the repair. Many Pontiac are having this problem. When turning from a stop or going over bumps I hear a loud noise coming from the front of the car, both right and left side.

- Avon, OH, USA

Mar 222009

G6

I have had numerous issues with my 2006 Pontiac G6 power steering. I have had it into the dealer who says repeatedly they cannot replicate the problem. It was initially occurring when turning into a parking spot slowly but now has increased to just a turn on the road. I have to pull over to the side of the road/highway and restart my car which then resets the power steering. In atlanta traffic, this can be very dangerous. I have researched this issue and it seems there are thousands of owners with the same issue. Initial recall action was being considered back in 2007 but nothing has been formally done. I was planning on my son using the car when he turns 16 but this is a major issue that GM should be correcting for its consumers! thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 112008

G6

Problems with the steering system. Clicking noises and steering wheel is loose. I took my car to the dealer and they told me that they fix the problem, they charge me $120 but a week later the same problem occurred.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Mar 162009

G6

Power steering failure without provocation. Problem started while driving on the interstate and during a lane shift the power steering went out almost causing an accident. The problem continues on and off. It is my wife's car I no longer allow her to drive it due to the fear of it going out on her and her inability to control the vehicle.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Sep 152007

G6

Began popping when I turned any direction, had it checked out by the Pontiac dealer, said the power steering needed greased. 2 weeks later began again, took it back in, they decided the rack and pinion needed replaced. Had that replaced, 1 month later, same thing. Had it fixed again. About 2 months it has started it again. Also the airconditioner has quit twice. Trading it off tomorrow! have had the car three years. Was brand new when bought.

- Big Spring, TX, USA

Mar 102009

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 has a problem with the steering column in which it starts making a loud clunking noise when I turn. The steering column has to be lubed every 3 or 4 months just about and that gets very expensive. This is a 3 year old car and I should not have to be taking it to the dealer every few months and paying money to have a steering column lubed. This will be the 3rd time since I bought the car, less then a year ago that I have had to take this car in to have the intermediate shaft in the steering column lubed. I've noticed on the internet forums that many, many people also have this problem and the shops I've taken it to have said that they have had a bunch of these cars with the same problem.

- Aurora, CO, USA