NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 41 of 47) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 41 of 47)

Feb 012009

I have a 2006 Pontiac G-6. within the last few months I have had problems with my steering. At random times at least daily, it will become tough to manage my wheel and steer. This is usually because the wheel begins to shake uncontrollably. There does not seem to be any pattern to when it occurs. It can happen when I just turn the car on or when I am out on the freeway. Nor does there seem to be any one thing that makes it stop. When I took it to the dealer they could find nothing wrong and informed me the car is piloting a new electronic steering system. They claim a little shaking as the wheel finds its "reference center" are normal. The stiff wheel and shaking I experience do not seem normal although it the system appears to be working correctly. I find it especially troublesome when it randomly happens as I am traveling 60 mph down a freeway in the pouring rain and it becomes hard to control my wheel. The dealer did try to reset my electronic system and zero out the wheel. This was to no avail. However, they claimed they have seen an increasing number of issues with the G-6 electronic steering system. Although I have not had an accident yet I am afraid of what might happen in the future if my strength is unable to overcome the car's steering tendency that makes it shake and resistant to control. I do not see how it is acceptable for cars just over three years old to be having steering issues of this magnitude.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Mar 022007

Front end clucking noise dealer said steering assembly was faulty, no recall just a service bulletin for the repair. Many Pontiac are having this problem. When turning from a stop or going over bumps I hear a loud noise coming from the front of the car, both right and left side.

- Avon, OH, USA

Mar 222009

I have had numerous issues with my 2006 Pontiac G6 power steering. I have had it into the dealer who says repeatedly they cannot replicate the problem. It was initially occurring when turning into a parking spot slowly but now has increased to just a turn on the road. I have to pull over to the side of the road/highway and restart my car which then resets the power steering. In atlanta traffic, this can be very dangerous. I have researched this issue and it seems there are thousands of owners with the same issue. Initial recall action was being considered back in 2007 but nothing has been formally done. I was planning on my son using the car when he turns 16 but this is a major issue that GM should be correcting for its consumers! thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 112008

Problems with the steering system. Clicking noises and steering wheel is loose. I took my car to the dealer and they told me that they fix the problem, they charge me $120 but a week later the same problem occurred.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Mar 162009

Power steering failure without provocation. Problem started while driving on the interstate and during a lane shift the power steering went out almost causing an accident. The problem continues on and off. It is my wife's car I no longer allow her to drive it due to the fear of it going out on her and her inability to control the vehicle.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Sep 152007

Began popping when I turned any direction, had it checked out by the Pontiac dealer, said the power steering needed greased. 2 weeks later began again, took it back in, they decided the rack and pinion needed replaced. Had that replaced, 1 month later, same thing. Had it fixed again. About 2 months it has started it again. Also the airconditioner has quit twice. Trading it off tomorrow! have had the car three years. Was brand new when bought.

- Big Spring, TX, USA

Mar 102009

My 2006 Pontiac G6 has a problem with the steering column in which it starts making a loud clunking noise when I turn. The steering column has to be lubed every 3 or 4 months just about and that gets very expensive. This is a 3 year old car and I should not have to be taking it to the dealer every few months and paying money to have a steering column lubed. This will be the 3rd time since I bought the car, less then a year ago that I have had to take this car in to have the intermediate shaft in the steering column lubed. I've noticed on the internet forums that many, many people also have this problem and the shops I've taken it to have said that they have had a bunch of these cars with the same problem.

- Aurora, CO, USA

May 072007

Steering column makes a clunking noise whenever you turn the wheel to the left or right. The front tires makes a metal to metal grinding noise when driving. The car has only twenty three thousand miles. Over $2,500 in repairs by a certified dealer and the car still runs and drive like something you borrow from a junk yard.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 022009

Electric power steering failed while making a left hand turn.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Aug 262008

I had a clunking noise on the left front of my vehicle - I took it in for an oil change and had the shop review steering issue - ball joint was bad replaced same along w/ lower control arm and completed and alignment - also had new tires put on vehicle then a popping noise occurred when turning to the left, my car even jumped the track at a car wash and I had to reverse out of the car wash and hold my steering wheel throughout the entire car wash. I then took to a dealership and was determined I needed to have the intermediate steering link replaced, power steering motor and stabilizer bar link replaced - damaged parts have been disposed of.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 012009

The car has been having electronic steering issues freezing up while driving and now it cause a wreck, there asre several complaints online about this problem and I was just wondering why a recall hasn't been put out? it has happen 10 to 12 times until I scheduled it to go in the dealership but cause a wreck before I could get it there.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Mar 092009

I have contacted GM on NHTSA action # PE07023 and they state they have not changed the warranty to 7yrs or 70,000. I have already filed complaint confirmation #10261076 with NHTSA. Thank you.

- Chatham , IL, USA

Feb 242009

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5. the power steering is starting to go in and out. When turning at times it gets really hard to steer.

- Chatham, IL, USA

Mar 072009

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 4 cylinder with approximately 75,000 miles. I left the grocery store today and as I pulled out into oncoming traffic the power steering failed and locked up and caused me to run onto a curb and almost collide with another vehicle. I reached a stop sign and cut the car off and restarted it. The system reset itself and I regained power steering for about 2 miles. As I got close to my house, it failed again. I contacted a parts dealer and was told that they were unsure if it was the pump or steering column and that I did not have a warranty but there had been alot of complaints about the G6 having similar problems. I think this is a very serious problem that should be taken care of immediately. As a consumer, I am concerned that GM is ignoring this problem. Please help. A recall is in desperate need!

- Mcrae, GA, USA

Feb 282009

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. At 3,486 miles, the steering gear began to make a clunking sound. The vehicle failed to steer properly and the contact experienced difficulty keeping the vehicle straight while driving. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop seven times, but it was only repaired correctly on two occasions. The vehicle was diagnosed as having another issue during the other five visits. The contact has all seven receipts for each repair regarding the steering failure. She feels that it is a safety issue because the vehicle needs to be steered properly in order to stay on the road. The current mileage was 82,586 and failure mileage was 3,486. Updated 3/27/09 there was a noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumps in the road. Updated 03/31/09.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Feb 282009

On 2/28/09 I noticed that my steering wheel was pulling severely to the left, while it felt like the rest of the car was pulling to the right. This got progressively worse and was difficult to control the car when turning corners. Decided not to take the interstate. Heard a loud thump and car veered to the left. The entire left wheel assembly had fallen off the car while I was driving on a busy street in heavy traffic. When the tire and assembly came off it pushed out the left front fender and bent it from the weight of everything coming apart. Police responded and told me had I been on the interstate it could have been fatal. Car was towed to dealer. Car is 2.5 yrs. Old, 29K miles.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 042009

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. Upon starting the vehicle, the contact heard a loud ringing noise and assumed it was the seat belt. She popped the seat belt in and out until the noise stopped. While exiting the vehicle, she heard the noise again and noticed that the power steering warning indicator was illuminated on the instrument panel. On a separate occasion, the steering wheel locked and would not move from its position. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer stated that they could not assist with the repairs because the warranty was expired. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 68,000.

- Euless, TX, USA

Feb 012009

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. Every time the vehicle travels over 30 mph, the steering wheel becomes very stiff and difficult to turn. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but they could not find any failures; however, they stated that the issue was related to the low tire pressure on the front passenger tires. It was recommended that the tires be replaced. The contact checked with other mechanics, who disagreed with this diagnostic. The contact researched the failure and discovered numerous others who were experiencing the same defect with their vehicles. She believes a recall should be issued. The vehicle has not been repaired for this failure. At 26,000 miles, the contact heard clanking noises coming from the vehicle. The steering shaft and gear box were replaced at that time, which only corrected the failure temporarily. The current and failure mileages were 32,000.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 152007

I have a Pontiac G6 2006. The power steering keeps going in and out. It was replaced through a good will granted by the manufacturer of the vehicle. When I received the car back the power steering was still not working so I returned the vehicle and was told that I needed a new battery because I have electronic steering and the battery was charging low. I had the battery replaced, picked up the car and the steering was still not working. Returned the car and was told that the power steering box module was no good and had to be replaced. Had that replaced and the steering is still in and out. I have wasted alot of time on this vehicle and missed alot of time from work do to this situation. I have yet to return the vehicle again for the fourth time because I can not afford to miss anymore time from work and all the expenses of the vehicle I can not afford them anymore.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

May 042007

Pontiac G6 3.5L I have had this car 2 1/2 years bout it with 15,00 miles have had nothing but problems the steering clunking noise is the worst now have had a new column put in still makes the noise have had the rotors replaced, the brakes replaced at 28,000 now when im driving im hearing a clunking noise going over bumps when im turning there is a clicking noise when I push on my brakes I keep getting a shimmy after I put new rotors on and like the car have owned Pontiac before but now don't know if ill buy another with so many problems with this one.

- Rock Springs, WY, USA