NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 42 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 42 of 47)

Mar 072009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 4 cylinder with approximately 75,000 miles. I left the grocery store today and as I pulled out into oncoming traffic the power steering failed and locked up and caused me to run onto a curb and almost collide with another vehicle. I reached a stop sign and cut the car off and restarted it. The system reset itself and I regained power steering for about 2 miles. As I got close to my house, it failed again. I contacted a parts dealer and was told that they were unsure if it was the pump or steering column and that I did not have a warranty but there had been alot of complaints about the G6 having similar problems. I think this is a very serious problem that should be taken care of immediately. As a consumer, I am concerned that GM is ignoring this problem. Please help. A recall is in desperate need!

- Mcrae, GA, USA

Feb 282009

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. At 3,486 miles, the steering gear began to make a clunking sound. The vehicle failed to steer properly and the contact experienced difficulty keeping the vehicle straight while driving. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop seven times, but it was only repaired correctly on two occasions. The vehicle was diagnosed as having another issue during the other five visits. The contact has all seven receipts for each repair regarding the steering failure. She feels that it is a safety issue because the vehicle needs to be steered properly in order to stay on the road. The current mileage was 82,586 and failure mileage was 3,486. Updated 3/27/09 there was a noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumps in the road. Updated 03/31/09.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Feb 282009

G6

On 2/28/09 I noticed that my steering wheel was pulling severely to the left, while it felt like the rest of the car was pulling to the right. This got progressively worse and was difficult to control the car when turning corners. Decided not to take the interstate. Heard a loud thump and car veered to the left. The entire left wheel assembly had fallen off the car while I was driving on a busy street in heavy traffic. When the tire and assembly came off it pushed out the left front fender and bent it from the weight of everything coming apart. Police responded and told me had I been on the interstate it could have been fatal. Car was towed to dealer. Car is 2.5 yrs. Old, 29K miles.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 042009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. Upon starting the vehicle, the contact heard a loud ringing noise and assumed it was the seat belt. She popped the seat belt in and out until the noise stopped. While exiting the vehicle, she heard the noise again and noticed that the power steering warning indicator was illuminated on the instrument panel. On a separate occasion, the steering wheel locked and would not move from its position. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer stated that they could not assist with the repairs because the warranty was expired. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 68,000.

- Euless, TX, USA

Feb 012009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. Every time the vehicle travels over 30 mph, the steering wheel becomes very stiff and difficult to turn. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but they could not find any failures; however, they stated that the issue was related to the low tire pressure on the front passenger tires. It was recommended that the tires be replaced. The contact checked with other mechanics, who disagreed with this diagnostic. The contact researched the failure and discovered numerous others who were experiencing the same defect with their vehicles. She believes a recall should be issued. The vehicle has not been repaired for this failure. At 26,000 miles, the contact heard clanking noises coming from the vehicle. The steering shaft and gear box were replaced at that time, which only corrected the failure temporarily. The current and failure mileages were 32,000.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 152007

G6

I have a Pontiac G6 2006. The power steering keeps going in and out. It was replaced through a good will granted by the manufacturer of the vehicle. When I received the car back the power steering was still not working so I returned the vehicle and was told that I needed a new battery because I have electronic steering and the battery was charging low. I had the battery replaced, picked up the car and the steering was still not working. Returned the car and was told that the power steering box module was no good and had to be replaced. Had that replaced and the steering is still in and out. I have wasted alot of time on this vehicle and missed alot of time from work do to this situation. I have yet to return the vehicle again for the fourth time because I can not afford to miss anymore time from work and all the expenses of the vehicle I can not afford them anymore.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

May 042007

G6

Pontiac G6 3.5L I have had this car 2 1/2 years bout it with 15,00 miles have had nothing but problems the steering clunking noise is the worst now have had a new column put in still makes the noise have had the rotors replaced, the brakes replaced at 28,000 now when im driving im hearing a clunking noise going over bumps when im turning there is a clicking noise when I push on my brakes I keep getting a shimmy after I put new rotors on and like the car have owned Pontiac before but now don't know if ill buy another with so many problems with this one.

- Rock Springs, WY, USA

Feb 142009

G6

Ok for the past week I have been having trouble with the power steering at first it was only sometimes I would start my car the power steering display would come on and I would have no power steering I just turned the car off and started it again and it worked fine....it progressively keeps getting worse...a few days later I would have to shut the car off and on a couple times and worked fine again, until a couple days ago it started going off while driving....it only did it like once maybe twice during about a half an hour of driving.....yesterday and today its been real bad...yesterday it went off so much it was like every 5 minutes I had to pull over turn it off and on a lot to get it back to normal.....today I had to do it everytime I went straight.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Nov 122007

G6

I purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT in April 2007. In November 2007, I was on my way out of town due to a family illness and I was approximately 40 miles from home when I began to hear something clunking on the drivers' front wheel. I stopped at the nearest Pontiac/GM dealer and was told that the tie rod end had to be replaced. I had it replaced and had my car aligned twice but you can still hear the same noise. Last month, I begin to hear a roaring sound coming from the driver's front wheel and took it again to the dealer. I was told that I need a wheel bearing hub assembly, which was put on 2/17/09. My car is still having this noise and the dealer said nothing was wrong. Also, I searched the internet to see if there have been any similar problems such as mine and found that there are 27 complaints for the same problems on this vehicle. I think Pontiac or GM should have a recall due to this problem with the steering.

- Cheraw, SC, USA

Feb 132009

G6

Problems with my power steering locking in my Pontiac G6. I brought my car to dealer on Friday, Feb, 13, 2009. It is mon, Feb. 16, 2009. No information on the problem has yet to be given to me. I have been without a car since then.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 142009

G6

I bought my G6 in June of 2006. I heard a rattle in the front end August of 2006. Took the car in for repair on 8/18/06-they replaced engine stabilizer/snubber. Again in February of 2008 I heard a rattle in the front end. On 2/25/08-they replaced left strut upper mount and reset collar on rack and pin. March I heard rattle again. They replaced left upper strut mount bearing & spring seat also sway bar links on 3/20/08. I then heard another noise in front end in July of 2008. They replaced right lowe control arm on 7/22/08. Next in Sept. Of 2008 a popping noise could be heard in front end. Car also shook when braking. On 9/26/08- they replaced right axle shaft & hub, intermediate shaft also replaced on this date. They suggested new brake pads and rotors turned. I replaced the brake pads and rotors on 1/11/09. Then on 1/14/09 dealer replaced front sway bar links and both front struts. Then in February of 2009 I heard more rattling and knocking in the front end. On 2/10/09 dealer replaced steering column and steering shaft. Now this weekend my power steering went out for a brief period and an accident almost happened. I am very frustrated that nothing as far as a recall goes is happening yet with this car. Why is all of this going to be left on the consumer. My car is nearing the warranty expiration and I am worried that I am going to be stuck with the bill also. Somebody please do something!

- Swansea, IL, USA

Feb 062009

G6

At any random moment the power steering will go out in our 2006 Pontiac G6.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Jan 052009

G6

I have a 2006 G6. There is a clunking / popping noise when turning in both directions and the steering wheel has locked up also. It happens every time I drive the car. I have asked the dealer what is wrong with it, he replied "nothing, it is just aggravating and you will have to deal with it".

- Pine Knot, KY, USA

Jul 062007

G6

Steering problems 2007-09: Vibration in steering wheel when turning, knocking when turning and lost power steering in Jan 09. Car was at dealer 3 times and hopefully now it is fixed - repaired under warranty but many people do not have the warranty and are having to pay this out of pocket. This needs to be recalled before someone is killed or injured. Folks are losing power steering while driving. Also just had a new transmission put in Jan 09 - also under warranty.

- Rochester, PA, USA

Nov 152007

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6 has numerous problems with the steering column. Consumer states that the steering wheel will lock at any time while driving. There was also a knocking noise in the steering. The dealer replaced the steering gear, steering column and wheel. The consumer stated the steering was noisy and it still continues to freeze up.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Jan 042008

G6

Clunking in the steering while the car was in the warranty period, the Pontiac dealer in the area just done the shaft knuckle freeing up and lubricate the shaft knuckle and return the car. After some months the problem came back again. I'm wondering about the safety of my family and kids, Pontiac shall do a recall in this issue and resolve the customer complain to maintain stand to their responsibility and customer satisfaction.

- Waterloo, Otarion Canada, 00, USA

Jan 172009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G-6. I had just gotten it out of the shop, as I had an accident and it needed repairs. I drove it about 25 miles, and all of a sudden the power steering went out and I had no control of my steering. I was fortunate that I was in town doing about 25 mph. I pulled off of the road, called the auto body shop and took it back. My insurance co. Said to take it to a dealer and have a diagnostic (spelling), done to see if it was due to the accident. Well, it wasn't, so I have to pay to get it fixed. That's when the auto body shop looked it up and sure enough, this seems to be a real problem with this make of car. I would like to know why; there has not been a recall on this vehicle" why ; after other people have had the same problem, and even had accidents and injuries, hasn't something been done? I myself, could've been in an accident and hurt. Why; does the consumer, and, or, the ins. Co. have to pay the price for GM's failures? who is going to come to my rescue and pull me out of this financial burden? I have a car that I can not drive. When will it happen again? why is GM not held accountable"

- Fernley, NV, USA

Jan 202009

G6

Steering failure on my 2006 Pontiac G6 sedan with 35,000 miles. Steering is not "locked" but is nearly impossible to turn. Can not turn more than 1/4 turn of the steering wheel. No accidents but any sudden maneuvers or lane changes are impossible. There are already complaints filed with GM on this issue but they never initiated a recall.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Dec 282006

G6

Replacement dealing with steering problems since 2006, brakes, panoramic roof leaking and constant rattling, molding came off passenger door, ignition constantly turning over sometime starting and sometimes not, car constantly out of lining, trunk sometimes open and sometimes do not, and speedometer not registering.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jan 122009

G6

The power steering on the 2006 Pontiac G6 are going out, I have read several complaints about the popping in the steering and the steering locking up. If Pontiac or GM doesn't recall this problem it is going to take someone's life.

- Laporte, TX, USA