NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 42 of 47) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 42 of 47)

May 042007

Pontiac G6 3.5L I have had this car 2 1/2 years bout it with 15,00 miles have had nothing but problems the steering clunking noise is the worst now have had a new column put in still makes the noise have had the rotors replaced, the brakes replaced at 28,000 now when im driving im hearing a clunking noise going over bumps when im turning there is a clicking noise when I push on my brakes I keep getting a shimmy after I put new rotors on and like the car have owned Pontiac before but now don't know if ill buy another with so many problems with this one.

- Rock Springs, WY, USA

Feb 142009

Ok for the past week I have been having trouble with the power steering at first it was only sometimes I would start my car the power steering display would come on and I would have no power steering I just turned the car off and started it again and it worked progressively keeps getting worse...a few days later I would have to shut the car off and on a couple times and worked fine again, until a couple days ago it started going off while only did it like once maybe twice during about a half an hour of driving.....yesterday and today its been real bad...yesterday it went off so much it was like every 5 minutes I had to pull over turn it off and on a lot to get it back to I had to do it everytime I went straight.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Nov 122007

I purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT in April 2007. In November 2007, I was on my way out of town due to a family illness and I was approximately 40 miles from home when I began to hear something clunking on the drivers' front wheel. I stopped at the nearest Pontiac/GM dealer and was told that the tie rod end had to be replaced. I had it replaced and had my car aligned twice but you can still hear the same noise. Last month, I begin to hear a roaring sound coming from the driver's front wheel and took it again to the dealer. I was told that I need a wheel bearing hub assembly, which was put on 2/17/09. My car is still having this noise and the dealer said nothing was wrong. Also, I searched the internet to see if there have been any similar problems such as mine and found that there are 27 complaints for the same problems on this vehicle. I think Pontiac or GM should have a recall due to this problem with the steering.

- Cheraw, SC, USA

Feb 132009

Problems with my power steering locking in my Pontiac G6. I brought my car to dealer on Friday, Feb, 13, 2009. It is mon, Feb. 16, 2009. No information on the problem has yet to be given to me. I have been without a car since then.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 142009

I bought my G6 in June of 2006. I heard a rattle in the front end August of 2006. Took the car in for repair on 8/18/06-they replaced engine stabilizer/snubber. Again in February of 2008 I heard a rattle in the front end. On 2/25/08-they replaced left strut upper mount and reset collar on rack and pin. March I heard rattle again. They replaced left upper strut mount bearing & spring seat also sway bar links on 3/20/08. I then heard another noise in front end in July of 2008. They replaced right lowe control arm on 7/22/08. Next in Sept. Of 2008 a popping noise could be heard in front end. Car also shook when braking. On 9/26/08- they replaced right axle shaft & hub, intermediate shaft also replaced on this date. They suggested new brake pads and rotors turned. I replaced the brake pads and rotors on 1/11/09. Then on 1/14/09 dealer replaced front sway bar links and both front struts. Then in February of 2009 I heard more rattling and knocking in the front end. On 2/10/09 dealer replaced steering column and steering shaft. Now this weekend my power steering went out for a brief period and an accident almost happened. I am very frustrated that nothing as far as a recall goes is happening yet with this car. Why is all of this going to be left on the consumer. My car is nearing the warranty expiration and I am worried that I am going to be stuck with the bill also. Somebody please do something!

- Swansea, IL, USA

Feb 062009

At any random moment the power steering will go out in our 2006 Pontiac G6.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Jan 052009

I have a 2006 G6. There is a clunking / popping noise when turning in both directions and the steering wheel has locked up also. It happens every time I drive the car. I have asked the dealer what is wrong with it, he replied "nothing, it is just aggravating and you will have to deal with it".

- Pine Knot, KY, USA

Jul 062007

Steering problems 2007-09: Vibration in steering wheel when turning, knocking when turning and lost power steering in Jan 09. Car was at dealer 3 times and hopefully now it is fixed - repaired under warranty but many people do not have the warranty and are having to pay this out of pocket. This needs to be recalled before someone is killed or injured. Folks are losing power steering while driving. Also just had a new transmission put in Jan 09 - also under warranty.

- Rochester, PA, USA

Nov 152007

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6 has numerous problems with the steering column. Consumer states that the steering wheel will lock at any time while driving. There was also a knocking noise in the steering. The dealer replaced the steering gear, steering column and wheel. The consumer stated the steering was noisy and it still continues to freeze up.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Jan 042008

Clunking in the steering while the car was in the warranty period, the Pontiac dealer in the area just done the shaft knuckle freeing up and lubricate the shaft knuckle and return the car. After some months the problem came back again. I'm wondering about the safety of my family and kids, Pontiac shall do a recall in this issue and resolve the customer complain to maintain stand to their responsibility and customer satisfaction.

- Waterloo, Otarion Canada, 00, USA

Jan 172009

I have a 2006 Pontiac G-6. I had just gotten it out of the shop, as I had an accident and it needed repairs. I drove it about 25 miles, and all of a sudden the power steering went out and I had no control of my steering. I was fortunate that I was in town doing about 25 mph. I pulled off of the road, called the auto body shop and took it back. My insurance co. Said to take it to a dealer and have a diagnostic (spelling), done to see if it was due to the accident. Well, it wasn't, so I have to pay to get it fixed. That's when the auto body shop looked it up and sure enough, this seems to be a real problem with this make of car. I would like to know why; there has not been a recall on this vehicle" why ; after other people have had the same problem, and even had accidents and injuries, hasn't something been done? I myself, could've been in an accident and hurt. Why; does the consumer, and, or, the ins. Co. have to pay the price for GM's failures? who is going to come to my rescue and pull me out of this financial burden? I have a car that I can not drive. When will it happen again? why is GM not held accountable"

- Fernley, NV, USA

Jan 202009

Steering failure on my 2006 Pontiac G6 sedan with 35,000 miles. Steering is not "locked" but is nearly impossible to turn. Can not turn more than 1/4 turn of the steering wheel. No accidents but any sudden maneuvers or lane changes are impossible. There are already complaints filed with GM on this issue but they never initiated a recall.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Dec 282006

Replacement dealing with steering problems since 2006, brakes, panoramic roof leaking and constant rattling, molding came off passenger door, ignition constantly turning over sometime starting and sometimes not, car constantly out of lining, trunk sometimes open and sometimes do not, and speedometer not registering.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jan 122009

The power steering on the 2006 Pontiac G6 are going out, I have read several complaints about the popping in the steering and the steering locking up. If Pontiac or GM doesn't recall this problem it is going to take someone's life.

- Laporte, TX, USA

Dec 102008

The car has a popping sound when turning in either direction. It occasionally "locks" and is extremely difficult to turn. Once the car is turned of, it must "reset" something, because it works fine until the next time it decides to have an issue. It has displayed low power steering just prior to some of these instances. I've read various complaints about the electric power steering of this car on different websites. All have reported the "same" types of issues.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Sep 042007

I purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 April 21, 2007. Afterwards I started noticing a popping noise when I would turn, so I took the car in to be serviced 9-2007. They replaced the tie rod adjuster & reset toe-in, but again I still had the same problems. Also I've been having problems with the window leaking on the drivers side. The ac / heater blower stays on when car is not on which caused my battery to drain so I took the car in again April 11, 2008 and they told me they replaced the drive shaft & blower motor resistor but still having the same problems. Now I am noticing that the passenger side air bag indicator doesn't register when someone is in the front seat w/ seatbelt on. Sometimes it comes on when there is no one in the seat. The starter continues to crank while trying to start car and sticks when the car is started. Last but not least, after purchasing fuel the car gas gauge drops drastically only after going about a mile or two.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 312008

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. Previously, steering problems included loud sounds and a faulty steering rack. The steering rack was replaced around 4000 miles after my 60K warranty. I am mentioning this because it seems that many G6's have this same problem along with many similar/same area problems. Now my steering is beginning to lock up and it is very difficult to turn out of a parked position, eventually it goes away. It seems that this problem has also been a large complaint w/ G6 owners. I believe the NHTSA has looked into the issues before, but I believe it was too long ago. Some of these problems seem to take a little time to occur and when the study was done less G6's were on the road/the ones that were had less miles. I am urging that these issues really get looked at again. will exhibit many complaints and how many smaller steering issues there are that possibly assist in/lead up to the more serious issues like steering lock up. These things are gradual. So many people shouldn't be out so much money on random steering issues with a 'new' car. It shouldn't cost so much money to ensure safety in a new car. It should be expected. I don't want to end up turning my car through an intersection and the steering decide to lock up.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 092008

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 70 mph on normal road conditions and proceeding to turn left, there was an unexpected loss of power steering and the engine stalled. The engine restarted and the power steering returned. The engine stalled intermittently on ten separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 43,000 and current mileage was 64,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 052008

I completely lost steering in my vehicle..I was with my 16 month old son and my steering wheel went completely loose, then it would tighten up so tight, it would take all of my strength to turn the wheel. I was going around 20 mph at the time of the second incident. If this would have happened on the interstate, we would have both been killed. This happened around 4 weeks before while trying to leave the parking lot of a local college. The steering wheel tightened and it took me and my passenger to turn the wheel to exit the lot. Nothing has been done, even though this is clearly a problem with several of these vehicles, and people have been killed from loss of steering. It is approximately $1000 to repair, so my car which is a 2006 is now parked until GM will pay for the repairs.

- Marion, IL, USA

Dec 212008

I was making a turn out of my apartment complex when I noticed a power steering light display on the radio screen. I figured it was a little low on fluid. I was at the lights waiting to make a left turn and then a right to the local gas station to purchase some power steering fluid. The light turned green and I proceeded towards my turn when the vehicle locked up on me. There was a car waiting for me to turn into the lot or pass her. I couldn't make the right turn in the gas station. But luckily I was not driving fast that I was able to slam my brakes and come inches from hitting her SUV. Of course as anyone would be she was irate. I put the car in park (P), stepped out to apologize but she would not hear it and drove away. I got back into my car, placed it back into drive (D) and was able to stop fifty feet from the entrance of the gas station. I checked under the hood for able 30 minutes or so find no power steering reservoir. I decided to go back home and look online and notice that I am not the only one having the same issue. There was no property damage but I hope there does not have to be one in order to have someone issue some proper help when the problem staring right at them. I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT over 60,000 miles, well passed any bumper to bumper warranty. Plus I had the vehicle checked at a GM dealership for suspension and steering issues before and found no issues before, which is why I just dealt with the popping sound when I would the wheel when backing out of my drive way.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA