NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 43 of 47) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 43 of 47)

Dec 092008

I was driving South on interstate 45 last night when the power steering stopped working. It was very difficult to pull the car off the highway without getting hit. I found out later that it is electrical and is a very common problem with this car. I am afraid to drive it now because it could, and probably will go out again while driving. This vehicle really needs to be recalled for this very dangerous problem.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Nov 012008

The power-steering mechanism is electrical and takes no fluid. The steering constantly locks up making it very difficult to steer in any direction. I've read this is a common problem amongst this make and model.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 282007

I am writing to notify you of serious safety concerns regarding my 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. I purchased my car from lou sohb Pontiac GMC in conyers, ga on November 6, 2006. Approximately 6 months later, I began having trouble with the power steering. There were instances while traveling on the road that the car would momentarily lose the power steering capability and therein makes the vehicle difficult to turn. I was involved in an accident on June 28, 2007. While attempting to make a lane change the vehicle"S steering wheel became very difficult to turn and loss power steering and it resulted in me being struck on the passenger side by another vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle was repaired and it seemed as I simply viewed it as one of those unexplainable instances. On December 25, 2007, christmas day the vehicle again had a momentary loss of power steering as I was turning in my driveway. I took the vehicle to the dealer the following week and I was told that there were no problems and the staff looked at me as if I were ?crazy" trying to explain that it just happens unexplainable and then works fine again. The staff at the dealership did not leave me assured that it would not happen again. I contacted a private mechanic by the name of larry reaves, jr. Who inspected the car on January 12, 2008 and again told me that there is nothing wrong with the power steering. At this point, the power steering has been checked by both GM certified mechanics and a private mechanic at cost to me. Both times I was told that they could not see anything wrong that would make it malfunction as such. I have now grown fearful to drive this vehicle, as I had a momentary loss of power steering again this past weekend on November 22, 2008 while exiting the freeway heading 75 North in atlanta. This has become a real safety issue.

- College Park, GA, USA

Dec 022008

We were driving down route 39. Coming from mansfield to shelby and the power steering just went out, without warning. We almost wrecked the car, but managed to keep it under control till we stopped. We drove it home very slowly, to maintain control of it, which of course was very hard to steer.

- Shelby, OH, USA

Nov 282008

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel locked up and the power steering failed. The contact lost control of the vehicle and nearly crashed into another vehicle. The air bag indicator illuminated and will not dim. He has not taken the vehicle back to the dealer for inspection or repair. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Hudson, NC, USA

Nov 212008

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and while driving when turning left the power steering goes out. This is very dangerous and I almost hit someone because of it. I brought it to a Pontiac dealership and they told me it was a bad power steering motor and it was replaced for 700 dollars, but 8 days later the problem is still there. Help this is dangerous and needs to be recalled. I've read other people having the same problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 102008

Just driving down the road to pick my fiance up from college and when I was about to make a right turn, my hydraulic steering system light popped up on my 2006 Pontiac G6 GT and almost ran into another vehicle because of how stiff and poor the steering was.. I mean it was hard as a rock to turn.

- Hudson, NC, USA

Nov 262008

Faulty power steering, locked up and lost control had to use much muscle power to steer it to a safe place on the freeway.need to restart to reset the power steering. Contacted the local dealership for check claims that's the design. Is it a design for safety or design for death.

- Manchester , CT, USA

Oct 252006

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact heard a ringing noise and noticed that the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. After the illumination, the steering column locked and became inoperable, which caused him to completely stop the vehicle. The vehicle was pushed to the side of the road and, approximately ten minutes later, the steering became operable and the contact drove to the residence. The dealer stated that the rack and pinion would have to completely fail in order for them to inspect the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to a local repair shop and the mechanic stated that the crimp wiring in the steering column failed, which caused the electrical steering to fail. The manufactured stated that there were no recalls; therefore, they were not liable for the repairs. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current mileage was 42,000 and failure mileage was 40,000.

- Teaberry, KY, USA

Oct 062008

The powersteering on my Pontiac G6 has failed- I've had the car for less then a year and now I am going to have to pay about $1000 to fix it. The steering is so tight sometimes it is very hard to turn. I was able to avoid a crash one day using all the strength I had in order to avoid a car. Now the powersteering locks up at least 3 times a week and I have been told that being GM certified doesn't cover any of it. Something needs to be done- Pontiac needs to own up to this huge failure. I would hate to see someone die because Pontiac was too cheap to issue a recall.

- Louisville, TN, USA

Nov 042008

Nov 4, 2008 - power steering went out on Pontiac G6 after starting the car and beginning to back out of a parking spot. Nov 17, 2008 - power steering went out after backing out of driveway. Causing me to hit mailbox. Each time the problem was corrected by turning the car off and letting it set for a few minutes and then starting the car back up. Nov 22, 2008 - power steering went out after backing out of a parking spot.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 052008

I have had a 2006 Pontiac G6 for 6 months now and have had the following problems. One month after I bought it I have to have the steering rack repaired/replaced. Now I am having the ball joint and control arm replaced. The rotors also need replaced. None of this was covered by warranty. I have heard of other G6 owners who have had the same problems and of course was not covered by warranty.

- Mingo Junction, OH, USA

Jul 272008

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 25 mph, the power steering system locked and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle has been to the dealer three times for a diagnosis and they stated that the power steering assist motor control module failed. The vehicle is currently at the dealer. The contact stated that the vehicle is unsafe to drive due to the many complaints regarding the power steering system. The current mileage was 65,700 and failure mileage was 50,000.

- Langston, OK, USA

Nov 112008

When I start my car and back out, I hear a dinging noise like that of when the seat belt is not on and the power steering locks up and the warning light displays power steering. Every now and then I can restart the engine and it will correct the problem. The thing is....I should not have to restart my car in order for the power steering to work properly (however the problem is not always corrected and I have to drive without power steering which is very difficult if you have to turn your vehicle.) I do believe that this is very dangerous and should definitely be recalled and its not covered under warranty.

- Raceland, LA, USA

Oct 152008

I just wanted to note that I have experienced these same issues with my 2006 G6 gtp. I have had my steering components replaced at least 2-3 times in the 2 years I've owned my car. I have 67K miles and purchased an extended warranty to 75K, so my repairs have been covered, but seeing these complaints is disturbing to me. Like many others here, I travel to/from work in my car each day at high rates of speed on the interstate. I hope GM will resolve any defective issues before someone must suffer. My steering was just replaced 2 months ago and I'm already hearing clicking under my front end again, so am planning to take my car back to the dealership soon. Please alert all owners if GM does decide to stand behind their product and repair these issues.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Nov 102008

I was driving about 55mph on a highway on my way to work. The display had indicated "power steering" about 15 miles before, when I left for work. As I rounded a corner of the highway my steering seemed to loosen up completely, the wheel turned back and forth, I drove into the oncoming lane and then the shoulder, and almost into a ditch; I could not regain control of the wheel. After about 30sec of this behavior, the steering calmed down and locked up so that I could not turn. Luckily I was then about three blocks from work because by the time I parked I could not turn at all. It is in the shop right now, hopefully it wont break me to fix. Unfortunately I have about 70,000 miles now and no warranty! with the amount of complaints I've read and the danger that this puts people in (not to mention the financial hard ship) there needs to be a recall and somebody needs to take responsibility; somebody's going to get hurt.

- Everett, WA, USA

Nov 072008

There is a clunking in the front end when you turn the steering wheel. I took this vehicle to the dealer on 11/07/08, and they determined that the clunking was coming from the steering rack. They replaced the steering rack for no charge because it was covered under warranty. The problem I have is that this is the third vehicle that I've taken in for this problem, but only two were covered because of warranty issues. I own two Pontiac 2006 G-6's, and one 2008 G-6. I believe the issue with this vehicle is a manufacturer defect and that they should be taking care of this problem with no out of pocket expense to me.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Nov 032008

Monday morning, November 3, 2008, I was driving to work then suddenly the power steering light came on and I lost the able to steer the car. I was barely able to turn into the nearest parking lot, steering was so difficult. This has happened off and on since Monday, the light goes on and off and the power steering sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have four kids, I work 60 miles from home, 120 miles a day and I never know if I can rely on my car or not. I have read many online accounts of the same thing happening to different people. Hopefully, a recall will soon be issued for the safely of all. Thank you for your time. Christie fruge

- Wills Point, TX, USA

Oct 242008

There is a clunking in the front end when you turn the steering wheel. I brought to the dealer on 10/24/08 and they recommended that the steering rack be replaced for an estimated $503.15. This was not covered under warranty because the car is over by 3,000 miles. My daughter has the same 2006 G-6 that also has the same clunking noise. Her vehicle is going to the shop on 11/07/08 to see what they think it is. My wife has a 2008 G-6 that also has the same clunking noise and it is in the shop today ( 11/03/08 ). were still waiting to hear back from them on their recommendation. Even though this should be covered under warranty on her car, I feel this is a manufacturer defect, and it should be covered on my car. It's not too often a person buys three of the same cars, and all three of them have the same problem.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Nov 012008

I have a 2006 G6 GT and my steering column and rack and pinion keeps going out and it is going out again. It has 40,000 miles and has already been fixed once. Looking into this it has caused wreck and could possibly one day cause a death. Is that what GM wants a lawsuit because someone died from the problem that could be fixed?

- Union City , TN, USA