NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 43 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 43 of 47)

Dec 102008

G6

The car has a popping sound when turning in either direction. It occasionally "locks" and is extremely difficult to turn. Once the car is turned of, it must "reset" something, because it works fine until the next time it decides to have an issue. It has displayed low power steering just prior to some of these instances. I've read various complaints about the electric power steering of this car on different websites. All have reported the "same" types of issues.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Sep 042007

G6

I purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 April 21, 2007. Afterwards I started noticing a popping noise when I would turn, so I took the car in to be serviced 9-2007. They replaced the tie rod adjuster & reset toe-in, but again I still had the same problems. Also I've been having problems with the window leaking on the drivers side. The ac / heater blower stays on when car is not on which caused my battery to drain so I took the car in again April 11, 2008 and they told me they replaced the drive shaft & blower motor resistor but still having the same problems. Now I am noticing that the passenger side air bag indicator doesn't register when someone is in the front seat w/ seatbelt on. Sometimes it comes on when there is no one in the seat. The starter continues to crank while trying to start car and sticks when the car is started. Last but not least, after purchasing fuel the car gas gauge drops drastically only after going about a mile or two.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 312008

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. Previously, steering problems included loud sounds and a faulty steering rack. The steering rack was replaced around 4000 miles after my 60K warranty. I am mentioning this because it seems that many G6's have this same problem along with many similar/same area problems. Now my steering is beginning to lock up and it is very difficult to turn out of a parked position, eventually it goes away. It seems that this problem has also been a large complaint w/ G6 owners. I believe the NHTSA has looked into the issues before, but I believe it was too long ago. Some of these problems seem to take a little time to occur and when the study was done less G6's were on the road/the ones that were had less miles. I am urging that these issues really get looked at again. G6ownersclub.com/forum will exhibit many complaints and how many smaller steering issues there are that possibly assist in/lead up to the more serious issues like steering lock up. These things are gradual. So many people shouldn't be out so much money on random steering issues with a 'new' car. It shouldn't cost so much money to ensure safety in a new car. It should be expected. I don't want to end up turning my car through an intersection and the steering decide to lock up.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 092008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 70 mph on normal road conditions and proceeding to turn left, there was an unexpected loss of power steering and the engine stalled. The engine restarted and the power steering returned. The engine stalled intermittently on ten separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 43,000 and current mileage was 64,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 052008

G6

I completely lost steering in my vehicle..I was with my 16 month old son and my steering wheel went completely loose, then it would tighten up so tight, it would take all of my strength to turn the wheel. I was going around 20 mph at the time of the second incident. If this would have happened on the interstate, we would have both been killed. This happened around 4 weeks before while trying to leave the parking lot of a local college. The steering wheel tightened and it took me and my passenger to turn the wheel to exit the lot. Nothing has been done, even though this is clearly a problem with several of these vehicles, and people have been killed from loss of steering. It is approximately $1000 to repair, so my car which is a 2006 is now parked until GM will pay for the repairs.

- Marion, IL, USA

Dec 212008

G6

I was making a turn out of my apartment complex when I noticed a power steering light display on the radio screen. I figured it was a little low on fluid. I was at the lights waiting to make a left turn and then a right to the local gas station to purchase some power steering fluid. The light turned green and I proceeded towards my turn when the vehicle locked up on me. There was a car waiting for me to turn into the lot or pass her. I couldn't make the right turn in the gas station. But luckily I was not driving fast that I was able to slam my brakes and come inches from hitting her SUV. Of course as anyone would be she was irate. I put the car in park (P), stepped out to apologize but she would not hear it and drove away. I got back into my car, placed it back into drive (D) and was able to stop fifty feet from the entrance of the gas station. I checked under the hood for able 30 minutes or so find no power steering reservoir. I decided to go back home and look online and notice that I am not the only one having the same issue. There was no property damage but I hope there does not have to be one in order to have someone issue some proper help when the problem staring right at them. I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT over 60,000 miles, well passed any bumper to bumper warranty. Plus I had the vehicle checked at a GM dealership for suspension and steering issues before and found no issues before, which is why I just dealt with the popping sound when I would the wheel when backing out of my drive way.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Dec 122008

G6

Power steering going out when turning left on a Pontiac G6.

- Norfolk, NE, USA

Dec 092008

G6

I was driving South on interstate 45 last night when the power steering stopped working. It was very difficult to pull the car off the highway without getting hit. I found out later that it is electrical and is a very common problem with this car. I am afraid to drive it now because it could, and probably will go out again while driving. This vehicle really needs to be recalled for this very dangerous problem.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Nov 012008

G6

The power-steering mechanism is electrical and takes no fluid. The steering constantly locks up making it very difficult to steer in any direction. I've read this is a common problem amongst this make and model.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 282007

G6

I am writing to notify you of serious safety concerns regarding my 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. I purchased my car from lou sohb Pontiac GMC in conyers, ga on November 6, 2006. Approximately 6 months later, I began having trouble with the power steering. There were instances while traveling on the road that the car would momentarily lose the power steering capability and therein makes the vehicle difficult to turn. I was involved in an accident on June 28, 2007. While attempting to make a lane change the vehicle"S steering wheel became very difficult to turn and loss power steering and it resulted in me being struck on the passenger side by another vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle was repaired and it seemed as I simply viewed it as one of those unexplainable instances. On December 25, 2007, christmas day the vehicle again had a momentary loss of power steering as I was turning in my driveway. I took the vehicle to the dealer the following week and I was told that there were no problems and the staff looked at me as if I were ?crazy" trying to explain that it just happens unexplainable and then works fine again. The staff at the dealership did not leave me assured that it would not happen again. I contacted a private mechanic by the name of larry reaves, jr. Who inspected the car on January 12, 2008 and again told me that there is nothing wrong with the power steering. At this point, the power steering has been checked by both GM certified mechanics and a private mechanic at cost to me. Both times I was told that they could not see anything wrong that would make it malfunction as such. I have now grown fearful to drive this vehicle, as I had a momentary loss of power steering again this past weekend on November 22, 2008 while exiting the freeway heading 75 North in atlanta. This has become a real safety issue.

- College Park, GA, USA

Dec 022008

G6

We were driving down route 39. Coming from mansfield to shelby and the power steering just went out, without warning. We almost wrecked the car, but managed to keep it under control till we stopped. We drove it home very slowly, to maintain control of it, which of course was very hard to steer.

- Shelby, OH, USA

Nov 282008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel locked up and the power steering failed. The contact lost control of the vehicle and nearly crashed into another vehicle. The air bag indicator illuminated and will not dim. He has not taken the vehicle back to the dealer for inspection or repair. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Hudson, NC, USA

Nov 212008

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and while driving when turning left the power steering goes out. This is very dangerous and I almost hit someone because of it. I brought it to a Pontiac dealership and they told me it was a bad power steering motor and it was replaced for 700 dollars, but 8 days later the problem is still there. Help this is dangerous and needs to be recalled. I've read other people having the same problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 102008

G6

Just driving down the road to pick my fiance up from college and when I was about to make a right turn, my hydraulic steering system light popped up on my 2006 Pontiac G6 GT and almost ran into another vehicle because of how stiff and poor the steering was.. I mean it was hard as a rock to turn.

- Hudson, NC, USA

Nov 262008

G6

Faulty power steering, locked up and lost control had to use much muscle power to steer it to a safe place on the freeway.need to restart to reset the power steering. Contacted the local dealership for check claims that's the design. Is it a design for safety or design for death.

- Manchester , CT, USA

Oct 252006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact heard a ringing noise and noticed that the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. After the illumination, the steering column locked and became inoperable, which caused him to completely stop the vehicle. The vehicle was pushed to the side of the road and, approximately ten minutes later, the steering became operable and the contact drove to the residence. The dealer stated that the rack and pinion would have to completely fail in order for them to inspect the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to a local repair shop and the mechanic stated that the crimp wiring in the steering column failed, which caused the electrical steering to fail. The manufactured stated that there were no recalls; therefore, they were not liable for the repairs. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current mileage was 42,000 and failure mileage was 40,000.

- Teaberry, KY, USA

Oct 062008

G6

The powersteering on my Pontiac G6 has failed- I've had the car for less then a year and now I am going to have to pay about $1000 to fix it. The steering is so tight sometimes it is very hard to turn. I was able to avoid a crash one day using all the strength I had in order to avoid a car. Now the powersteering locks up at least 3 times a week and I have been told that being GM certified doesn't cover any of it. Something needs to be done- Pontiac needs to own up to this huge failure. I would hate to see someone die because Pontiac was too cheap to issue a recall.

- Louisville, TN, USA

Nov 042008

G6

Nov 4, 2008 - power steering went out on Pontiac G6 after starting the car and beginning to back out of a parking spot. Nov 17, 2008 - power steering went out after backing out of driveway. Causing me to hit mailbox. Each time the problem was corrected by turning the car off and letting it set for a few minutes and then starting the car back up. Nov 22, 2008 - power steering went out after backing out of a parking spot.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 052008

G6

I have had a 2006 Pontiac G6 for 6 months now and have had the following problems. One month after I bought it I have to have the steering rack repaired/replaced. Now I am having the ball joint and control arm replaced. The rotors also need replaced. None of this was covered by warranty. I have heard of other G6 owners who have had the same problems and of course was not covered by warranty.

- Mingo Junction, OH, USA

Jul 272008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 25 mph, the power steering system locked and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle has been to the dealer three times for a diagnosis and they stated that the power steering assist motor control module failed. The vehicle is currently at the dealer. The contact stated that the vehicle is unsafe to drive due to the many complaints regarding the power steering system. The current mileage was 65,700 and failure mileage was 50,000.

- Langston, OK, USA