NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 46 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 46 of 47)

Jun 012008

G6

I am financing a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. The power steering goes in and out. Bought power steering fluid but could not find where to put it. Googled Pontiac G6 hoping to figure out where to check the power steering fluid and discovered that many other consumers are having the same problem. I feel that General Motors should have to issue a recall for this problem immediately.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Jun 212008

G6

Passenger tie rod end excessively worn almost causing total vehicle control at 75,000 miles.

- White Pine, TN, USA

Apr 092008

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. I noticed my on the display of my radio it said power steering. I didn't think anything about it and turned off the car and back on. That seemed to have cleared it. I then drove 3 1/2 hours with it and no problem. I get back to austin and now whenever I turn it on it is intermittent on when it will display the "power steering" message. When it is parked it is fine most of the time. When I pull out of the driveway then it starts with the power steering message and makes it so hard to steer. I can barely get back into the driveway with it. I believe there should be a recall on this type of vehicle. I have eto get the car towed to the dealership and look at it, but since Pontiac is aware of the faulty part then why do I need to pay for it out of my pocket?

- Austin, TX, USA

May 242008

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 with 67,000 miles on it. After a few months of a scratching, gravel-like sound in the front end, the power steering indicator showed up on the electronic read-out panel on the dashboard. We added power steering fluid. Approximately 6 weeks later, the power steering indicator showed up again. We poured another bottle of power steering fluid into the engine. Approximately 2 days after that, the power steering column locked up while driving. Thankfully, I was not far from the house, fairly early in the morning on a 2-lane road. I pulled over to the side of the road and filled the engine with yet another bottle of power steering fluid (I started carrying an extra bottle with me, just in case). The car ran fine for about another 10 days, when the indicator light came on yet again. Then we started doing some research and discovered our 2006 Pontiac G6 is in good company with nearly 200,000 other defective models boasting power steering problems. I've owned three cars with more than 200,000 miles on them and were older than 20 years old, and never - ever - had to replace a steering column!! the repair set me back more than $900 and I'm very frustrated, as this seems to be a defect with many G6 models of the same manufacturing year.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Feb 102008

G6

I own an 06 G6 and need to report that on an icy day in Michigan my 25 yr old daughter came home very very upset saying her power steering failed while turning off a freeway ramp and she slid a long ways until she stopped on dry ground. She saw other cars passing her as she spun around 2 or 3 times she said. When she told me this 4 months ago I did not really know what to make of the story, but after looking this up on the web and having a load clunking noise start up last month I feel I must report this. What a dangerous thing to have happen. We are relying on the good people here to help us as this cannot be resolved by the little person like me. I have decided to take the car in to dealer but I doubt from the letters here that will help. Thank you thank you. Please do the right thing before someone gets killed.

- Berkley, MI, USA

May 142006

G6

Clunking in the steering problems with the brakes.

- Salineville, OH, USA

May 202008

G6

I drive a Pontiac G6 2006, and on my way home from work the power steering went out. Ok so I bought fluid to add to the car come to find out it electric power steering. It says you are suppose to take it to the dealer for service. I checked the net and come to find out im not the only one that had this problem. Lots of people been having the same problem. Mine would go out on me and the start working, and go out again. No wreck yet, thank god. But I went to the dealer and had to pay $837 to get it fixed. I just bought that car that's another down payment. I read some where that they are looking in to it to see if there will be a recall. I hope so because that on such short notice broke the bank I was calling around for money.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 092008

G6 4-cyl

For my 2006 Pontiac G6, the power steering message came on my car about a week and a half ago. On June 9, 2008 as I began to bag out of a drive way, my steering wheel stopped turning. Then I just slowly pulled back into the yard and cut my car off. I sat there for a few minutes and then proceeded to crank the car to turn the steering wheel, then my steering wheel began to turn. About forty five minutes later, I continued to another destination and while I stopped and then proceeded to turn, my steering wheel stopped turning again, so I turned the car off then turned it back on once again. About one minute later I stopped at the stop sign and it would not turn so I repeatedly had to cut the car on and off in order to make it home safely. I had to drive very slowly. I contacted the General Motors company but they said there wasn't a recall. I bought the car used and I have only had it for 10 months. The car had 32, 600 miles when I bought it and now the mileage is 42,800.

- Greenville, MS, USA

May 212008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle sporadically lost power steering ability, which increased the risk of a crash. The dealer was notified and a representative acknowledged that it was a common failure for his year, make, and model vehicle. Currently, there is no current remedy to resolve the issue. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 15,000.

- Bottineau, ND, USA

May 012008

G6 6-cyl

Power steering has failed several times. I have done nothing to correct it. I am doing research to find if there is a recall.

- Morrow, GA, USA

Apr 252008

G6

Upon exiting an intersection and turning right my car (2006 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L with electric power assist system) displayed a warning light indicating a power steering malfunction. At this point the steering lock in the right turned position and continued forward until the car stuck the curb causing damage to the right front wheel, fender and misaligning the front end, we were unable to turn the steering until we turned the ignition off and on this seem to reset the system and the steering seem to be working properly again. This vehicle has sense been at the GM service center were they been unable to find any problem and claim they are unaware of any steering problems involving the electric power assist system.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Apr 142008

G6 4-cyl

The power steering pulls to the left although no vehicle damage has occurred. It has also locked up when pulling and backing out. It would not turn in either direction.

- Athens, WV, USA

Apr 042008

G6 6-cyl

I heard thumbing /noise coming from the front end when ever I was turning right. I took the car in on 10/4/07, and the dealer replaced the steering gear and set toe and recalibrate steering. That was at 27,453 miles.. on 4/4/08, I took the car back in because when ever I turned left this time, I heard thumbing and noise from the front end. The dealer removed the intermediate steering shaft and lubed... I was told it shouldn't happen a gain, miles on car now is 33,197.... I want the steering and all parts given a warranty..... this could be a major problem with the G-6, mine is a 2006.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Mar 152008

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6. It has a little over 30K miles. About 2 months ago, the steering started to feel a little jerky. Eventually, the power steering went completely out of it. When I would turn the car off and back on, it generally would fix. Then some time later, it would happen again. Generally it would happen when coming out of my driveway, so it was not at fast speeds, but a few times it happened while driving. I am blessed that it has not caused my family or myself to be in an accident. It is unsafe. I took it to the dealer once, and they could not find any problems. The night I brought it back home, it went out again. The next day it also went out, and I drove it with no power steering to the dealership(as instructed). They replaced the power steering motor (electric). It lasted less than a week and went out again. This time, the dealer tells me that it is just a problem GM knows about, but that they cannot do anything about it. My car is unsafe for my family and GM knows about this? I called GM customer assistance (an additional cost adding to the now three times I have had to make multiple trips to the dealership), and they contacted the dealer. A "regional specialist" is supposed to contact me within 24 hours. This car is not even 2 years old... and I cannot put my family in it for safety reasons. I will see how they address it. According to much research, this is a very common problem with 2006 and 2007 G6sedans, and has caused several accidents. The rep from GM asked me a suitable resolution and I stated that either they needed to fix my car back to the safety standard that I bought, or buy it back so I could purchase a safe care. I also told them something needed to be done on a large scale so others did not wind up suffering because of the obvious defect.

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

Feb 182008

G6 6-cyl

Power steering fails all the time....I was trying to make a right turn when my steering locked up and me and my son (5 yrs old ) almost went straight into a very deep ditch....... my car has been in dealership 5 times for this problem and its still not fixed...... I was told today by port lavaca GM dealership that they can not get the parts to fix my car because these parts are not manufactured by GM because they just do not go out ( ECM and the fuse box under the hood) so my car is still there ( has been for two weeks now and counting) I got the car 1-26-2008 and have only had it in my possession about 3 weeks. The rest of the time its been at the dealership getting fixed. I'm really scared to drive this car... its not a good feeling when the steering locks up and you have no control over the car...

- Port Lavaca, TX, USA

Dec 012006

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 45-50 mph, the vehicle vibrates. The dealer replaced the rotors, tires, and performed a wheel alignment; however, the failure persists. The powertrain was unknown. The current mileage was 15,700 and failure mileage was 20.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 122006

G6

We own a 2006 Pontiac G6, and the steering has been acting up on a regular basis really bad, it has almost caused us to wreak twice now. It gets really hard almost impossible to turn the wheel. Update: No repairs were made'since reporting this incident that was the last time it acted up!

- Inez, KY, USA

Nov 012007

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6. It is to my knowledge that since May 2007 Pontiac has been under investigation for loss of power steering in the 2005-2006 models of the G6 which includes an estimated 170,000 vehicles. My complaint is why has there been no recall? my vehicle began having this power steering problem when it hit 45000 miles. The dealership will not pay for the problem. Even though my car is over warranty, this is Pontiac's problem. It is there responsibility. My power steering has gone out while I have been driving on the interstate. The local dealer explained that I needed a new steering column because the sensor alone could not be fixed. They stated that this would cost my around 800-1000 dollars out of pocket. This needs to be fixed and looked upon very closely!!!! someone is going to end up with a severe injury or death. If it is me, be ready to be sued immediately.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Jun 082007

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact noticed that the air bag warning light sporadically illuminated on the instrument control panel. She took her vehicle to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure. Two weeks later, the air bag light illuminated again more consistently. She took the vehicle back to the dealer and they replaced the module on the side air bag inflater. A few months later, the air bag warning light illuminated again. The dealer replaced the entire air bag system because it was inoperative. The contact has pictures of the failed component. She also filed a formal complaint with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 14,000 and current mileage was 12,000. Updated 03/13/08. The consumer stated after the rack was replace, the vehicle still pulled to the right. The dealer adjusted the alignment. The sun visor kept falling down. Updated

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Feb 132008

G6 6-cyl

Purchased my G6 in February 2007, have never had any issues. Yesterday when I ws leaving work to go home, my steering locked up. I was backing out of the parking space, and then nothing....I put my car back into drive, and moved back into the parking space, and I had steering again. I had my car towed to the dealership, and was told that it would cost $1,260 to fix it. I have 45000 miles on my G6, but if this is an ongoing problem, and it looks like it is, I feel that GM should do something about it. I don't have that kind of money to be spending.

- El Paso, TX, USA