NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 7 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 47)

Apr 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel vibrated and turned independently and the power steering indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering); however, the vehicle could not be repaired for five months because the parts were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Aug 312014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that after refueling, the steering wheel stopped working. The contact had to shut off and restart the vehicle several times in order to get the steering wheel operating normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering motor and column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 192012

G6 6-cyl

My car is garage kept and lightly driven with very low miles. My service light came on and I received a recall notice about steering issues so I scheduled service 07/19/2012 @ wright auto group 15090-9303. They replaced the steering column but after a month it began to be hard to turn wheel, especially at a stand still so I made another appointment on 09/26/2012 and they replaced power steering motor and module. It worked fine but as time went on it began to produce a knock. After making a turn, the column knocks when it is winding back left or right turns. I left it go a while but it began to knock more so I made appointment on 07/29/2014. They never even checked the steering and called me telling me my back rotors need sanded, tie rod needs replaced, and they broke my stud of the wheel claiming I needed a new hub. I questioned the steering knock, they said, they start at the brakes and replace any problems then continue checking if problem is not resolved. Also stated the column they replaced per original recall was only warranted 1 year. They already charged labor for inspection and said I would have to pay for them to inspect this part. I have a regular mechanic so I took the car to him. He replaced the tie rod per my request but didn't feel it needed replaced. He welded a stud on saving me from a new hub. He replaced the brakes and rotors. He advised to replace instead of sanding. He thinks the knock is from the column they replaced but since it was a GM problem, he told me a GM dealer needs to check it. My car steered fine with no issues but the light came and I received this recall. It has never been right since and a knock after turning is not normal. With the car sitting in park, turn the wheel right or left, it knocks when you let the wheel go. I fear this could be unsafe and do to a faulty replaced part from a recall.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 182013

G6 4-cyl

I checked my VIN on my 2006 Pontiac G6 to see what recalls popped up. My vehicle does not fall under any of the recalls for power steering, air bags, or seat belts but I have had many issues. My power steering quits working randomly. I have to pull over, shut the car off, then turn it back on and it will work agian. Just yesterday the warning light came on and said service air bags. Also the sensor for the seat belts will sometimes not work. The bell will continuously ding to alert you that the seat belt is not buckled and it actually is. Funny thing is, my car has had none of the problems that it is under recall for and all of the problems it's not under recall for. I have three children and this is my only transportation. I am afraid to put them in this car and drive anywhere with them.

- Sterling, MI, USA

Feb 032014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk forward violently and accelerate independently while at a complete stop. The contact had to apply excessive force to the brake pedal to ensure that the vehicle would stop. In addition, the service engine sensor illuminated multiple times and was cleared twice by an independent repair shop; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to an independent mechanic who changed the oil and reset the code twice, but did not diagnose the code displaying from the sensor. The contact also mentioned that the power steering sensor illuminated intermittently and the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 222014

G6

My mother-in-law has received 3 recall notices this year pertaining to this vehicle &, so far, GM has not provided the parts to fix the problems. The pertinent NHTSA campaign #'s are 14V153000 & 14V224000. My daughter is considering buying this vehicle, so I am, understandably, concerned about these problems being fixed. Anything you can do to alleviate this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Apr 032011

G6

Driving my power steering and exterior lighting goes out all the time. Also my passenger air bag says service air bag all the time. My car has also just shut down on me on numerous occasions on the highway etc.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Aug 172014

G6 4-cyl

Scariest incident in my life, lost steering of the car as I turned into oncoming traffic (45 mph). I had to use full muscle and weight to turn the car out of the path of oncoming traffic. Someone with less muscle would have resulted in head on collision. This incident is related to GM's number for this recall is N140115. I do not think GM is taking this seriously.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jul 092014

G6 6-cyl

My son was driving and he couldn't turn the wheel back as he came out of a curve. This resulted in the vehicle being wrecked and totaled.

- Wilmer, AL, USA

Jun 132014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact received recall notices for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V153000 (steering) and 14V224000 (transmission shift cable). The dealer and manufacturer stated that the parts were not available to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the power steering and brakes failed intermittently while driving various speeds. The failure mileage was 193,000.

- Liberty , KY, USA

Aug 112014

G6 6-cyl

Steering wheel locks up while driving, interior electric have glitches.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 142014

G6

Out getting lunch and the steering wheel lock on me as I was driving.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Jul 012014

G6

I have received 2 separate recalls for my vehicle regarding the power steering, one in 2012 and one in June of 2014. Both recalls claimed that there are no parts available, and have not been for 2 years now. I have just received in July of 2014 (2) more recalls on my vehicle, regarding the body control module, and transmission shift cable, again stating that no parts are available. My fiance drives this vehicle and it frightened me to thing that her transmission cable could go, so I contacted GM about the issue to attempt to find out how long until the parts are available, since I worry about her safety. I was told to wait until the parts become available, one of which I have been waiting over 2 years, and to ignore the recall letters, that they don't mean much and they are "forced" to send them out. I was told to continue to wait like everybody else for the parts to become available, and not to worry unless I receive more letters. I have never seen such a blatant disregard for customer safety. I have already attempted to contact GM about this issue at no luck. Please help.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Feb 082013

G6 6-cyl

Lost power steering. Why isnt this a recall for this VIN #" how did they seperate what VIN # were ok and what ones needed to be recalled"

- Alger, MI, USA

May 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle would veer to the right. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the part was not available for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Woodbine, NJ, USA

Dec 012010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph during inclement weather, the traction control system failed causing the contact to crash into a wall. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. In addition, the contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel and was difficult to maneuver. The contact also stated that while parked, the vehicle shifted out of gear. Additionally, the front passenger tie rod, ball joint, and the hub wore out prematurely. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Covington, PA, USA

Nov 012010

G6

Bought a Pontiac with only 15 miles on it, shortly after that I began to hear a "popping" noise in my steering wheel. Took the car back to the dealer, dealer returned the vehicle. Dealer did not advise me what they had done with the vehicle, only told me that it had been fixed. I did not hear the "popping" noise for a period of time. When it began to start making the noise again, I once again returned it to the dealership, at this time they advised me that they had to change the racket pinion. I left dealership and it worked fine for a short time and it began to make the noise again. I returned the car back to the dealership and at that time they advised me that it was the racket pinion again and they had already replaced this part 3 time, and it was not fixable. I was unaware, they had changed it the first time. After all this time, I have actually located a mechanic who explained to me that it is not just the racket pinion, but also the bracket and joint. Now totally up to approximately $1600 of parts and labor to fix properly.

- Lindale, TX, USA

Nov 012013

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering wheel vibrated when attempting to stop the vehicle. The failure occurred on numerous occasions and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 132,000.

- Grandview, WA, USA

Jul 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Glassport, PA, USA

Nov 152006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The contact stated that during winter months, the steering wheel became inoperable. Additionally, the contact mentioned that the steering wheel would shake when the motor was running at start up. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired. The failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA