NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 47)

Nov 172016

G6

I own a 2006 Pontiac G6 that within the last week incurred a power steering failure., causing me to have a small crash. Recall research shows that on March 2014 the NHTSA required GM to issue a recall for this exact problem, however, it only covered certain the G6 models up to the year 2009. The service advisor at the dealership acknowledged that the "problem" was very similar to the steering problem for earlier models that are subject to the recall. However, since only few select cars were included in the NHTSA recall, the cost to repair the problem falls to the consumer and is estimated to be in the $1,800 to $2,000 range. This is clearly a safety issue and mirrors the same characteristic's as earlier models included in the recall. While I appreciate GM's willingness to "consider" the matter, I urge the NHTSA to re-visit the model years subject to the recall. The consumer should not be burdened with the cost of repairing what is obviously a design defect. Further and more importantly is safety for the passengers and other drivers on the road. I hope that the NHTSA will investigate this matter accordingly and amend the power steering recall. Thank you.

- Kirkwood, MO, USA

Nov 222016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds and making a left or right turn, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned. The steering wheel became very difficult to turn and a grinding noise could be heard. There were no warning indicators illuminated. After several minutes, the vehicle was able to drive normally. The failure occurred on several occasions. The dealer diagnosed that there was a malfunction in the steering column module and the steering column module needed replacement. The vehicle was at the dealer awaiting parts for the repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 132016

G6

The steering wheel is very stiff to maneuver, especially while at idle. Becomes hard to turn at curves

- Finleyville, PA, USA

Nov 042016

G6

While driving the power steering will cut out when turning making it hard the steer the car and with this happening it could have caused a serious accident if it would've happened in a main road.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 062016

G6

On August 6, 2016 I was merging onto the 33 East from the cayuga road entrance in cheektowaga, NY. As I tried to merge onto the thruway my steering completely went loose and lost control. I couldn't grab hold of the wheel, and my car went completely insane and crossed the 3 lanes of traffic on the thruway and hit the guardrail, then bounced off the guardrail, crossing back through those 3 lanes and I ended up in a ditch on the opposite side of the guardrail.my car is completely totaled, and I was taken to the hospital er by my mother & my car was towed by cheektowaga police to millers towing on genesee street. The only thing the hospital diagnosed me with was whiplash. I have no idea or explanation as to what could have caused my steering wheel and whole car to lose control like that. I contacted General Motors and filed a claim with them. General Motors sent out an investigator to come check out what happened to my car. The investigator only plugged my car into his computer, after unplugging the battery (which was not necessary to do at all). After he investigated it, General Motors called me and said my claim was denied. I feel that my car was improperly inspected, it should have at least been put up on a lift to have the steering rack looked at, seeing as that's where the problem occurred. I have 3 witnesses that stopped alongside of the road with me and said it was like my car was "possessed." The car had a steering recall that I got fixed at a General Motors facility in November of 2015, 4 months after I had bought the car. I feel that I should be compensated by GM for my losses. I did nothing wrong to make the car act like that or loose control, they had no explanation for me as to what happened to make the car do that.

- Depew, NY, USA

Jun 152014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, the vehicle veered in both directions. The contact had to steer the vehicle in excess in order to keep the vehicle in position. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed to be repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Pharr, TX, USA

Sep 202016

G6

At 60,000 miles the power steering alert came on the dic and the steering was very hard. I turned the car off and back on and it reset. I didn't have any issues until recently. I replaced the whole steering column and everything to do with the suspension in this car costing me over $2500 dollars. The past month the wheel has been shaking badly and when driving the steering wheel will pull each way and have play and sometimes be stiff. This is a serious issue as I've almost caused myself to get in many accidents. This needs to be resolved by GM. I've taken it many times and my car VIN isn't under the recall. The car now just eclipsed over 100,000 miles and need to keep this car through the winter but I'm afraid with the winters we have in buffalo, I'm going to be seriously hurt. The cost to fix the jpower steering motor is over $1,000 and I'm not putting any more money into this car. Over the years I've had the car, I've put well over $6,000 into it. I'll never buy another GM product again. I called customer service (at GM) and the dealership and they are very rude and will do nothing about it.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Sep 012016

G6

I was driving down the road and went to turn left and my power steering completely went out. I was lucky enough to make it to a safe spot to park it.

- Bulan, KY, USA

Aug 242016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. After turning the engine off and restarting the vehicle, the power steering operated normally. The contact indicated that the steering column was previously replaced in 2010. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Aug 152016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel shook and the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacture was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jun 072016

G6

Power steering eic light goes off at the time the power steering goes out. Looked up recalls for Pontiac and there are numerous recalla for 06 pontian G6. So I call Pontiac and they say my VIN # is not included in the recall. How can that be? my 2oo6 Pontiac G6 is doing the exact thing that the other 2oo6 Pontiac G6 are doing, yet not covered. On christmas eve of 2O15, our steering wheel locked up when my husband, 9 year old son and I were driving home.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jul 022016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 35 mph, the engine and power steering warning lights illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The contact had to use force to turn the steering wheel. In addition, the doors unlocked and locked repeatedly. The contact felt that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The dealer was notified, but no repairs were made. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 302016

G6

In 2014 I recieved a recall for power steering, I brought the car in and they "fixed" it. Charged it under warranty instead of recall. 2 years later, same issue, steering goes out, I had no crash or accident but cant steer. Turn the car on and off, comes back on. Call everyone listed on the recall websites and they tell me no recall" so I dont know what the heck is going on, they "fixed" power steering yet the part lasts only 2 years and I am right back where I started with a bad power steering problem. So if they fix it under the recall, lable it under warranty, goes out 2 years later, than what happens" I hate this car!

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jun 182016

G6

Looses power steering and all gages go to zero and rapidly fluctuate, then vehicle stalls

- Jamestown, NY, USA

May 032016

G6

The steering wheel sometimes gets hard, when im driving 30 mph makes noises also when I turn

- East Chicago, IN, USA

May 212016

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the lights on instrument panel flickered and the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the ignition was turned off and back on and the vehicle operated as intended. The contact stated that the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.....updated 07/05/16 the consumer stated while driving, the steering wheel suddenly became stiff. Consequently, the consumer was unable control the vehicle and crashed into a ditch. The consumer was injured. Updated 07/11/16.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 072016

G6

The vehicle entered the on ramp to I-5 from the shasta dam blvd, shasta lake city, ca. As my grandson approached the 90 degree curve to merge, the steering locked up and could not turn the vehicle, went off the pavement with brakes engaged and stopped in the gravel median. Called GM Pontiac, they arranged to have the car towed to dealership and have it repaired as it was a recall item. Part #22837369. After the diagnostic was done, GM declined to repair it, because this item had been replaced on 3/18/2015 with a 12 mo. Or 12,000 mile warranty. Mind you this car had traveled from Hawaii to the state's to a dealer. A couple weeks ago my daughter purchased the car. At 3 weeks of owning this car the steering went out. There had only been around 4,000 miles on it with the new part. She had purchased the car just 7 days after the 12 month warranty, apparently it's whatever comes first the 12,000 miles or 12 month. This is not right. My grandson could have been injured or worse. This steering issue recall is a recurring event with this part. I researched and the same thing is happening to other owners as well with the new recall part. This part needs to stay on the recall list #14772. This number has changed from the original recall #14416 electric power assist that GM gave me. GM replacement part #22837369. GM needs to honor the replacement of this part.

- Redding, CA, USA

Apr 072016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel seized and almost caused an accident after the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 292016

G6

Just bought the car a few weeks ago, started getting a clunking noise from front end/ steering wheel. Went back to dealer where I purchased car and they did not fix issue. Went then to GM dealer and had their service center check it out, seems the steering shaft is not working correctly. This is a known recall from GM but apparently my VIN # is not included in this recall but is included in some other recalls. My car fall within the parameter's of all the other recalls (manufacturer dates, year, models) so I believe this car should also be included in any/all recalls.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Apr 042016

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired for a previous recall for the steering; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA