NHTSA — Service Brakes, Hydraulic Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 3) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 012007

Brake rotors warping after just 7,000 miles, took back to dealer and they cut them. Next time it happened sooner (12,000 miles). Should be a recall, brakes shake the front of the car so bad that it practically tears the steering wheel from your hands.

- Trevose, PA, USA

Jul 012007

- Trevose, PA, USA

Jan 102011

G6 6-cyl

I bought my 2007 Pontiac G6 in August, 2007. Less than three years later I had to have the brake pads, rotors and calipers replaced all the way around. Now, less than two years after having that done I have now have to have my brake pads replaced both front and back and my rotors replaced on the front. Something is seriously wrong with the brakes on the G6S.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 012008

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the brakes failed when engaged. The vehicle was inspected by the local dealer who stated that the brakes and swing arm had been fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 53,405.

- Reedsdurg, WI, USA

Jun 052010

Bought brand new 2007 Pontiac G6 in September of 2007. Called dealership complaint of brakes squealing around August 2009. Dealership stated it was due to metallic brakes pads and that it was normal for brakes to squeal. June 2010 out driving noticed steering column shakes at high speeds while slowing down and car was hard to stop. Stopped at nearest GM dealership shortly after. They stated it was due to me stopping to hard on the brakes over time and the rotors have warped due to the excessive heat. Noticed car is still hard to stop at regular driving speeds now. Took car back to dealership where I bought it to inspect and they told me it was my fault again and also it wasn't covered through my warranty due it being normal wear and tear. They didn't even inspect it.the car only has 24,000 miles on it now. It's still hard to stop and shakes horribly when slowing down at high speeds. Concerned for my safety, my child's safety, and other drivers safety.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 092010

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brakes lights would only illuminate and remain illuminated when depressing the accelerator pedal. The brake lights would not illuminate when applying the brakes. In addition, the rotors and brakes needed replacing at 19,000 miles. The tires were also wearing prematurely. The brake lights were repaired under warranty. There were no further repairs. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 21, 000.

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Aug 092010

Brakes lights on my 2007 Pontiac G6 are working incorrectly. The brake lights are one when I'm accelerating and off when I'm actually braking. The shifter is also hard to get out of park and the cruise control works on and off. This is the exact same problem as NHTSA campaign number: 09V-036.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Aug 012010

NHTSA campaign id number: 09V036000 unfortunately does not cover 2007 model year Pontiac G6 vehicles and I am experiencing the exact same issue. This is a safety hazard with the potential for major injury. The brake lights come on at random and turn off when the brake pedal is pressed. From your own bulletin: Brake lamps that are not operating properly may not warn a driver in a following vehicle of the braking status and could lead to a crash without prior warning. All Pontiac G6 models should be included due to the safety issue at hand.

- Pen Argyl, PA, USA

Jul 152010

NHTSA campaign id number: 09V036000 I have the same issue on my 2007 G6.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jun 022010

I bought my 2007 Pontiac G6 Feb. 2007. Just about a week ago (June 2, 2010) I was told my brake lights were on when I wasn't braking. When I do brake, the brake lights go off. I took my car to the dealer and they said it was the brake switch. Well, it's not. I am still having the same problem and I need to take it back to get it fixed. This is dangerous to myself and other drivers. There should be a recall on this problem for all 2007 Pontiac G6's.

- Elwood, IL, USA

Oct 072009

When brakes are applied, vibrations travel through steering column. The vehicle can not stop suddenly if required due to loss of control of the vehicle.

- Kenly, NC, USA

Dec 312009

In attempting to slow down on an exit ramp, the brakes locked causing the rear end to fish tail. After trying to maintain control of the car, the car went off the road and struck a cement post where a light pole used to be. The insurance company had to total the car. This also occured about six months ago, when the brakes locked and, fortunately, the car was stopped without damage at that time.

- Southgate, KY, USA

Sep 012009

My car is a 2007 Pontiac G6 V6 that has brakelamp issues. When I drive the brakelamps come on and when I brake, they go off. This has been occurring for over the last 3 months every time that I drive the vehicle. I replaced the brakelight switch, however that has not fixed the problem.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 142009

Automobile purchased as new. Rotors not vented properly and were replaced with brake pads at 32,200 miles. Insisted that dealer/Pontiac corporate handle under warranty. At 32,900 miles car stopped at light and did not advance when accelerator was depressed. The transmission required full replacement because the sprag "blew up" and was covered under power train warranty. Will never lease or buy Pontiac again.

- South River, NJ, USA

Jun 122009

The rear brakes of my 2007 Pontiac G6 value leader worn out prematurely. I bough the car in October 2007, as brand new, from a GM dealer in toronto Canada. The rear brake pads and rotors had to be replaced by the dealer with new ones, at 23700 km only due to premature wear.

- Toronto, 00, USA

Apr 162008

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. When attempting to turn the steering column, the contact heard a loud noise and the steering became difficult to maneuver. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel prior to the failures. In addition, the brake pedal pulsates abnormally when it is depressed. The rotors have been replaced several times. The vehicle has not been inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer would not assist because the vehicle exceeded its warranty. The failure mileage was 25,000 and current mileage was 60,000.

- Redline, PA, USA

Jan 012009

Brake lights on my 2007 Pontiac G6 are malfunctioning. The brakes stay on when not applied and go off when applied. I noticed the problem about 2 months ago. I have looked on the internet and found many other people with the same issue. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be looked into. Frankly, I am surprised there is not a recall in place for this problem already, especially given the amount of complaints that I have come across. In my opinion this is a design flaw and the customer should not be responsible for fixing the car manufacturers mistake.

- Chunchula, AL, USA

May 012008

2007 Pontiac G6 convertible - brakes squeak and car shakes when brakes applied. Taken to the dealer twice, they sprayed something on them and told me it was because I live in a "humid" state. This has been going on for a year now and it happens daily. The dealer refuses to do anything to correct the problem.

- Madison, AL, USA

Nov 172007

Brakes became spongy then had problems stopping the car. The problem is that the brakes have an open design and uses inferior brake pads. With the open design the disc rotors then corrode from the weather and become pitted and tear the inferior pads to pieces resulting in brake failure.

- Skaneateles, NY, USA

Feb 152009

At approximately 35,980 miles I began getting 'clunking' noises from my steering at low speeds and while turning. This is apparently a very common problem with the Pontiac G6. It is appears to be a problem with the steering column. Unfortunately I will have over 36,000 miles on the vehicle by the time I can get it to a dealership. This is a manufacture defect which if not addressed will eventually cause injury or death if not addressed by your office. A redesign and recall is required for this issue. Does someone have to die for action to be taken? additionally, the factory brakes on the vehicle are very cheap. Vented rotors are needed because they warp at approximately 20,000 miles due to heat.

- Rockwall, TX, USA