NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 4) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 102014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that after the vehicle was parked and shut off, the vehicle rolled away independently and crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The contact was made aware of recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the parts were not available. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,684.

- Philadephia, PA, USA

Jul 092014

G6 6-cyl

I was on may way home from work, the check engine light came on and has remained on, and the transmission all of the sudden wouldn't go in any gear, I couldn't go over 20 mph, I had to pull over turn off the car wait turn it back on put it in drive, then if I would have to stop at a light or stop sign I would give it gas & it wouldn't go, again I had to turn the car off put it in park, then wait turn it on & put it in drive, also if I tried to put the car in reverse it would not go, this caused almost several times of me being "rear ended" even with my hazard lights on. I took it to my mechanic & he said it was caused from the recall (transmission recall) GM had it towed to a dealership, all they keep saying is there is no recall on my car. They said the government puts the VIN #'s on for recall, so my question is, how does my car or any car get put on the recall list" when clearly my car is doing exactly what the recall states" GM states that the government is the one to put the "VIN" on the recall list.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jan 102014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the contact stated that the gears were difficult to shift and would seize. On one occasion, the contact was unable to shift from drive into reverse or park. The contact was required to use excessive force to shift into park and activated the emergency brake to prevent the vehicle from rolling away. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V224000 (power train) however, the part was unavailable to remedy the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and uncertain of when the remedy would become available. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000. Updated 10/7/14 updated 7/15/2015

- Casper, WY, USA

Mar 112013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing failures identical to NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000: (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). While driving various speeds, the brake lights would illuminate and, when the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights would dim. Additionally, it was difficult to shift the gear out of park. While driving various speeds, the cruise control would disengage. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Bristol, RI, USA

Jun 212014

G6 6-cyl

My 2007 Pontiac G6 was no longer able to shift between gears as I attempted to park. Once the shifter was moved to the park position and my foot released the brake, the car continued to roll. Upon inspection, it became known that the shifter cable linkage was fractured. I found there was an open recall by GM on Pontiac G6 vehicles manufactured from May 26, 2004 to September 28,2007 (model year 2005-2008 vehicles). The recall (recall 14152) contains the wording "if the transmission shift cable fractures while the vehicle is being driven, the transmission gear selection may not match the indicated gear and the vehicle may move in an unintended or unexpected direction, increasing the risk of a crash". this is the exact symptom which struck my vehicle. Upon contacting GM about this recall, I was told the VIN number of my vehicle isn't included in their predetermined lot of cars they believe to be affected. The fact that my vehicle exhibits the exact issue that GM openly admits to be a problem for vehicles they produced within the year range mine was manufactured, should be cause enough for them to accept responsibility for this issue. This issue is a design flaw which is agitated by the choice of materials used in this specific force application. This isn't a problem that can be isolated to certain vehicles based of the assembly process of select plants. The general engineering design approved and released by GM, or their supplier, was flawed. I find it unacceptable that I am forced to pay out of pocket for a fix relating to a design flaw that GM is trying to selectively downplay. An installation issue could be understandably focused on a specific assembly plant, but a component failure by breakage or fracturing is an obvious mis-application of a poor design.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 072013

G6 6-cyl

I used to work late nights, and while driving home one night I noticed my brake lights were really bright. When I pushed the brake pedal down my brake lights would turn off. I also have problems pulling my car from park to reverse or drive. It makes me really nervous to drive and it seems as though it just keeps getting worse. I don't know what to do or even how to fix it. I really can't find anybody who knows how to fix it. Everything I've looked up is just a temporary fix. It's just extremely frustrating, and I really don't want to end up with a huge ticket or getting into an accident because of it.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Jun 222014

TL * the contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle began to roll away while it was secured in park. The contact had to place objects under the tires to prevent the vehicle from moving. The dealer stated that the shift cable had failed. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Columbia Heights, MN, USA

Jul 022014

When the car is in park it can be easily "moved". if you push on the car slightly is moves forward or backward approx. 3-4 inches in either direction. It also seems to slip into gear when accelerating at approx. 30 mph causing a jerking motion.

- Newville, PA, USA

Oct 062011

G6 6-cyl

When I put the car in park, the car would still move. When I put the car in park on a small incline, the car rolled backwards down the incline/hill. The gear shift did not recognize the park gear. It reacted like the car was in neutral. On 10-06-2011, I paid $251.44 to the have the "trans shift cable" replaced, & that fixed the problem.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Feb 112014

G6 4-cyl

The ignition switch on my 2007 Pontiac G6 is not operating properly. If I do not warm up my vehicle, the key cannot be taken out of the ignition switch while in park position. Sometimes after warning up, the key is hard to come out the ignition.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 062014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift into gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 100,000.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 012011

G6 6-cyl

When pulling into a parking lot after an hour long drive, my Pontiac G6 GT hardtop convertible made a loud pop and then filled with smoke and flames shot out of the hood. Prior to that there was a pop and liquids spilled onto the ground. I jumped out of my car and ran to alert a nearby police officer. We got back to the car in less than a minute and he was able to extinguish the flames. The local fire department was also alerted and they arrived to check the fire. When it was repaired the technician said that it had something to do with transmission, or some fluid, igniting.

- Athens, GA, USA

May 252014

Cooling fans fuses replaced because it was running hot. It started running hot a few years later and wiring to the cooling fans had to be fixed. Check engine light then came on and wouldn't go off and engine module was replaced. Check engine light came back on immediately, power steering randomly stopped working but came back, power seats stopped working randomly but started to work again, radio wouldn't go off after taking out the key and opening the door, and now the car will only go in reverse and drive in the manual mode. I'm never buying another GM vehicle!

- Gravette , AR, USA

May 012013

Since last year, let's say in spring, I had problems shifting out of park. Doesn't do it every time. Later I noticed that my brakelights are always illuminated. Will not change if the brake is pushed. But if I push hard enough on them they turn off all together. When pressed on the brake again they do not light up at all. So after a few seconds the lights all come back on when I am not pressing on the brake. Back to the beginning. Also my cruise control turns off when I'm using it. Sometimes my lights go in and out of climate controls. Now I called GM about the recall on my make/model/year and gave her my VIN number. She said I am not currently included on the recall. How is that possible? I need this fixed before I get a ticket or get into an accident!

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Oct 132013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated whenever he attempted to accelerate while driving 10 mph, the vehicle failed to shift gears and the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where the technician diagnosed that the cam shaft position sensor, cam shaft actuator solenoid sensor were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- St Petersburg , FL, USA

Aug 242013

G6 4-cyl

The vehicle turned off when the steering column was turned completely. This of which put myself, as well as other drivers, in jeopardy. Luckily, this occurred in a parking lot with no other cars around. If this occurred on a highway turn-around or under different circumstances, many people could have been injured or killed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 302014

I just hit my 80K miles. General Motors extended warranty for emissions to 100K on 2.3 engine's. I have 3.5 engine. My check engine light came on; test showed Cadillac converter. I telephoned #1 cochran in monroeville 5X and never received a return call to do emissions test on machine. This is where I purchased the car new. Then I telephoned bowser Pontiac and they couldn't get me an appt till weeks because they were busy and had employees that kept calling off. I had my mechanic do the emission's test, he made a report showing this issue. I called GM and explained if they can do the customer good will claim based on the report from my mechanic because the dealer's could not get me an appointment. They said no. They deal with only GM dealer's not mechanics. So being just missed the mileage warranty GM is not willing to work with me to accept my mechanic's report to show they should have extended the warranty to the 3.5 engine's too. Due to the inability and non-willing to work with their gmac customer's I am looking to file a complaint with General Motors as they could not accommodate me and I had to have my mechanic diagnose and pay for this repair out of pocket because they would not do a good will claim with my mechanic because the dealer's could not get me in to get a diagnostic test. I have documents to show this issue with the GM dealer and they reused to accommodate me with the issue that their parts were ineffective and they did not abide their warranty by a few miles and to work with me to file a good faith claim, meaning sometimes GM pays for all or some of the repair based on the report, but must have diagnostic test done at dealer and none of the dealers could get me an appt, and I was driving around for 4 weeks with the check engine light on and did not want to damage my vehicle with not being able to get an appointment at any time soon.

- Dravosburg, PA, USA

Dec 042013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights illuminate without pushing brake pedal. Cruise will not engage. Car fails to come out of park.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Jan 042013

Brake lights illuminate while driving and foot is not on the brake, then turn off when the brake is pressed. Sometimes blink first and they illuminate after about a minute. Also sometimes it is difficult to shift out of park. I brought the car in to the GMC dealership once already, the brake lights seemed to work fine for a few months and then the issue started all over again. Have 2nd appointment at the dealership today for the same issue.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 032012

Someone stopped me in traffic to let me know my brake lights were on even though I was accelerating. The problem persisted through numerous repair and continues to be on during the entire ride. Also, it is really hard sometimes to get the gear out of park and into another selection. I have spent almost 1,000 dollars in repairsbut the problem still exist.

- Marietta , GA, USA