NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 4 of 4) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Sep 122011

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that after parking and exiting the vehicle, it rolled away and crashed into another vehicle. The failure recurred twenty times over the course of two years. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the shifter cable would need to be replaced and was referred to a dealer. The dealer confirmed the diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Palos Park, IL, USA

May 282013

G6 4-cyl

It is often very hard to shift the car into gear. Sometimes pressing the brake very hard with 2 feet will allow it to shift, other times we have to shut the engine off and on and then press the brake pedal very hard and it will shift. Now the brake lights are not working correctly. They stay on when the brake is not depressed. They sometimes go off when the brake is depressed. This car belongs to my teen daughter. This is a major safety issue.

- Calais, ME, USA

Jun 192013

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake lights illuminated independently without having engaged the brakes and when the contact had engaged the brakes, the light would not illuminate. The failure also affected the cruise control and would cause it to independently disengage. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the electrical issue caused the transmission solenoid to become defective and as a result, it would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 80,070. Updated 10/17/13

- Charlestown , IN, USA

Aug 012011

G6 6-cyl

Approx. 2+ yrs ago I noticed that wherein pressing on the gas from a dead stop at a light resulted in nothing but high engine revs. After asecond or two the transmission would engage causing the occupants inside to be severely thrown back in their seats. Happens intermittently at any temp and any driving condition. Sometimes it happens a couple of times a day, sometimes it doesn't happen for a couple weeks. Took car in and was told there was no error codes that they couldn't help me unless they could replicate it themselves. Been a few times that I pulled into oncoming traffic into a parking lot or street and had the trans. Hesitate. Not the only one with this problem. Not sure what the exact issue is but I'm not shelling out $4000 for a new trans. On a car that only has 42,000 miles on it. Don't feel safe driving this car sometimes. Especially when it happens on wet or icy roads as the traction control engages and the wheels just spin leaving me stuck in traffic until they find purchase enough to get going. If this vehicle had 95,000-100,000 on the odometer I would get a new trans. But as I stated before with such low miles it shouldn't be happening. GM needs to be held accountable for this. Also have the brake lights that stay on then turn off when the pedal gets pressed. Fixed that 4 times and it still happens. Don't know if these are related but if its something electrical it could be. Please help me get this rectified

- Niles, OH, USA

Jul 252013

Brake lights were reported on while I'm not depressing the brake pedal and going off when I press the brakes in. I started having trouble shifting out of park, and my cruise control works intermittently.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 052013

G6 6-cyl

The brake pedal vibrates when disengaging the car out of park into drive; sometimes it is difficult to get the shifter out of park. The brake lights are constantly on while the car is moving. Then when the brake pedal is pushed, the brake lights turn off. The cruise control does not work either; I believe because the car thinks the brake pedal is being pushed. Updated 8/22/13 also, the cruise control would not engage. However, the light was on the steering wheel.

- Breese, IL, USA

Jun 102013

G6 6-cyl

My son was driving his 2007 Pontiac G6 gtp on a highway (55 mph speed limit) and suddenly the car downshifted and started shaking. It started to slow down and he finally got to our hometown.... the car downshifted again, and went down to 10 mph before he finally coasted into our driveway. He could not get it up to speed at all and had to go as fast as the transmission would allow him in order to get home and get the car off the road. This problem - a broken 3,5, R clutch wave plate - has been identified via GM service bulletin 09-07-30-012 and I am getting the runaround from GM on them fixing it, all because it's over 100,000 miles. Had this problem occurred on the interstate (which he was on just prior to this incident), he could have been rear-ended or even killed from the sudden drop in speed since the speed limit on the interstate in Iowa is 70 mph). This problem is well known, yet GM won't acknowledge it since the cost to repair is phenomenal. GM needs to be held responsible for this faulty clutch wave plate, which is also a problem in acadias, Buick enclaves and Saturn outlooks from 2007 - 2009. I'm sure this repair will be very costly, but more importantly - my son could have been killed had he not been where he was when it broke.

- Wheatland, IA, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while stopped in a parking space, she attempted to shift into park but the gear shifter could not be moved out of drive. The failure recurred intermittently. Additionally, when the contact was able to place the vehicle in park the vehicle would began to roll away. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 122012

G6 4-cyl

I was on my way home when I continued to pull up into my driveway and tried to put my 2007 Pontiac G6 into park, but it would not park. I could continuously move the gear shift back and forth repeatedly and none of the movement would register with the car. My car was stuck in drive. When my car said it was in park on my gear shift, it was still in drive with the computer. If I took my foot of the brake, since I am on a hill, my car rolled backwards. I therefore was forced to use my emergency brake and put bricks behind my tires to keep my car from rolling backwards down my driveway. The next morning I had tried again to see what the issue was and my car would not start. I decided to call my car dealership and had organized to have it towed there. When the tow truck driver arrived, I explained my issue and he immediately knew what was wrong; my car was stuck in drive and you cannot start a vehicle when it is in drive. Under my hood, where my car is in control of going from drive-to-neutral-to-reverse etc. Was disconnected and broken. My car was taken to the dealership where I had explained my issue once more and they took it in and fixed the issue over the course of a few days. I have done many hours of research and discovered this has happened numerous times in various years of this make and model. The shift cable was broken for no reason.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jun 162010

I financed this used car in 2010 at 27,000 miles. Since I have had this car I have not had the chance to really enjoy it because I am constantly fixing on it. I ave had a lot of problems. I have replaced brakes 2X once with rotors and they are goin out again including rotors. I am constantly replacing tires. My steering wheel pops when turning and I have had this fixed once. Traction gone. Had heat/air on and smoke smelling like a firecracker came from passenger dashboard. My biggest problem right now is that I had the whole suspension system replaced and now I am constantly replacing the lugs on my front left tire because the constantly pop off. Brake lights and headlights constantly goes out. Air bag, engine, and traction light goes on and off (sometimes staying on). Power in driver door gone out for windows resulting in 3 windows unable to roll up/down but will work when wants. Only one will go down using its own panel. Replaced a crack in lca. Remote starter gone out. Car wheel shakes occasionally. Interior lights doesn't work except front dashboard but minus where gear shaft at (went out after smoke from dashboard). Needs struts to be replaced. Also jerks with a huge pop that you can feel when putting car in gear. When accelerating you can feel it shift gears. I am currently only at about 83000 miles. Nothing but trouble. Scared serious accident may happen because of the lugs constantly poppin off. We don't know why. I called Pontiac and GM and no recalls on this car except power-train and warranty for trans and none of this was covered by warranty or them period. Tired of this car so tired!! GM and Pontiac need to do something this is terrible to only be a 2007.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 112012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the transmission would exhibit an abnormally loud noise. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 41,000 and the current mileage was 42,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Apr 102012

G6 6-cyl

I am having the same issue as someone else who posted in May 2011. My husband came home today, parked in our driveway. Put the car in park, removed the key opened the door and stood up to get out and nearly got run over when the car rolled backwards and towards are neighbors yard. We were so lucky that the neighborhood kids were not playing down the street or someone could have been killed. The car does not recognize it is in "park." You can move the shifter easily (without out any stops) through 2nd gear all the way through to park. He can manually fix the issue by reaching down and tugging on the shifter rod, but it is only temporary as soon as you start the car back up, and move it, the car doesn't recognize any gear. Please help! we just bought this car last summer used from a certified dealership and have had to replace the alternator, a new battery and now this. The worst car we have ever owned. I bought this car to replace my Honda that never had any problems until it was totaled in an accident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 122012

G6 6-cyl

Vehicle gearshift indicates that it is in park, but it's actually in reverse, luckily it started rolling down a hill before I got out of the car.

- Lower Sackville , Nova Scotia, AL, USA

Jan 282010

G6 4-cyl

I have an 07 G6 that is having the same issues with brake lights, cruise, and shifting out of park that the 05-06 G6's are. We've had the brake switch changed twice and it hasn't fixed the problem. Even with the brake switch unplugged the brake lights stay on.

- Noble, OK, USA