NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 4 of 8)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Jan 092013

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and all the warning lamps illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,000, and the current mileage was 147,077.

- Lambertville, MI, USA

Nov 012013

G6 6-cyl

Car has caught on fire twice due to power steering hose rubbing and leaking flammable fluids brake lights malfunction always....on when accelerating and off when you actually apply brakes air bag lights on and off on and off--malfunctioning all the time.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 152010

G6

TL- the contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there had been multiple failures with the repairs from the authorized dealer and that the vehicle was sold with a damaged tire. A bolt was in the rear drivers side tire at the time the vehicle was purchased, there was a cracked rim on the front drivers side and the power steering pump failed intermittently. The contact waited two weeks for an inspection of the vehicle to no avail. The contact drove the vehicle from the authorized dealer with the bolt still in the tire. The vehicle was diagnosed by an authorized dealer to replace the power steering pump which was repaired and the failure recurred. The contact had the power steering pump replaced twice by an independent mechanic and the failure recurred. The sunroof had a leaked intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer who stated the sunroof was repaired and upon inspection by another dealer it was found that there was no lining on the sunroof and a wrench was stuck in the top of the sunroof framing. The leak had damaged the electrical function of the front drivers seat and extensive mold was on all of the seatbelts. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and indicated that the contact was to be included in recalls that have not been sent out. The manufacturer was not able to confirm when the notices would be sent. The multiple failures have not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000. Dyd

- Coventry, RI, USA

May 012013

G6 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle the passenger low beam did not illuminate. Changed the bulb, did not help. Checked the wiring and the connection between the bulb and the wiring was melted. Replaced the entire headlight assembly which solved the issue for a month. One of the connections on the female terminal of the wiring harness to the assembly has corroded and causes the light to short. This has made driving difficult if not impossible at night.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Apr 152014

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights come on, and stay on, while driving and go off when the brake pedal is depressed. (exactly the opposite of the way it should) when parked, the brake lights will stay on unless the brake is fully depressed to the floor. (something that can not be done while driving) once it is released, they will continue to stay on, even when brake pedal is not depressed. This is very dangerous and after reviewing the multitude of complaints this appears to be a common issue with G6 cars.

- Council Hill, OK, USA

Sep 122012

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights on my Pontiac G6 2007 do not function correctly. When driving they stay on, when pressing on the brake they go out. My cruise control does not work either. I have changed the brake light sensor five times and it works for a day or so, and goes out again. I have read that other customers have this problem as well. It is very dangerous.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 032013

G6

I hate my G6!!!! I am so disappointed and will never buy a Pontiac of GM car again. First of all my power steering goes out everytime it rains causing me to have to stop my car in the middle of the road and nearly get into a serious injury accident. Next, my passenger head light has been replaced at least 20 times ive had the entire head light itself replaced ive had wiring replaced and it wont seem to last for more than a month or two... my radio stays on sometimes after I have shut my car off and taken my key out and opened my door, what the heck! and lve had some weird clicking noise I have no idea what it is. And lastly, now everytime I turn on my car my trunk opens up!?! ughhhh!!!!!!!!!

- Toledo, OH, USA

Apr 042014

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights sometimes do not work. Other times they are on w/O pressing the brake, then they go off when pressing the brake.

- Danville, CA, USA

Jul 012013

G6

Brake lights go on when pedal is not pressed, goes off when you step on the brake. Also, cruise control shuts off automatically while driving or will not engage at all.

- Bloomingdale, IL, USA

Oct 142013

G6

2007 Pontiac G6 GT. When I am not pressing the brake pedal the lights remain on as if I were braking. When the brakes are depressed, the lights turn off. Condition has been continually occurring and I fear it may present itself one day resulting in an accident.

- Wilbraham, MA, USA

Mar 152013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights were coming on with out hitting the brakes. I was driving down the highway and people were yelling at me that the brake lights were constantly on. I pulled it into the shop and they were on when they shouldn't be and went off when I hit the brakes. The cruise control will not engage. I have had the brake light switch replaced and it is still doing the same thing.

- Manitou Beach, MI, USA

Nov 012013

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the key could be released from the ignition while the vehicle was in neutral. The dealer replaced and coded the ignition switch cylinder as a repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,716 and the current mileage was 61,020. Updated 04/29/14 MA the consumer noticed the ignition was not in the off position, when he returned to the vehicle. The dealer found the ignition cylinder and switch not reading properly when the car was in gear. Updated 04/29/14

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 182011

G6 6-cyl

On Sunday, September 18, 2011, I was involved in an accident when I lost control of my 2007 Pontiac G6. The accident occurred in the afternoon, the weather was clear and there was no precipitation. I was traveling southbound, in the left lane, passing a vehicle, when suddenly I lost control of my 2007 Pontiac G6. The car felt like it started to swerve to the right. I tried to correct it and the steering was hard, I couldn't move the steering wheel and had no control of the car. It was very scary, as I swerved back and forth and finally crossed through the right lane. Luckily my car was stopped by a guard rail and was facing northbound. The dealership diagnosed the vehicle with a faulty ignition switch and replaced it. This was the scariest moment of my life. I saw my life flash in front of me, there were several vehicles traveling on the highway and I envisioned a pile up. Luckily, the other drivers were able to avoid hitting my vehicle. Please consider adding the 2007 Pontiac G6 to the recall that was recently announced, which included the 2007 Pontiac G5. This almost cost me my life.

- Portland, ME, USA

Feb 032014

G6 4-cyl

I cannot remove my key from the ignition in the morning before my car warms up. If I stop to get gas in the morning, I have to leave the key in the ignition because it gets stuck in the key ignition. Only after my car warms up will I be able to remove my key.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 272012

G6 4-cyl

Small stream of white smoke began to emit from the steering column, suddenly the chime went on and the power steering failed. Drove vehicle to dealership who advised me the issue is a common electrical failure in G6 models and that several other years have been recalled for the same issue, but not 2007. Dealer advised me to hold on to the receipt for reimbursement in the event that GM does recall the 2007 model. After waiting nearly two years, I decided to issue a letter to GM requesting reimbursement. On 2/6/14 I was contacted by GM customer service representatives who explained a recall was not in place and therefore they would not reimburse. I was further advised by GM representative ┐┐joseph┐Ł that GM is "not a charity" and that I would just have to "deal with it." In a final effort to resolve the issue I requested a voucher toward a new GM purchase instead of reimbursement as sign of good-faith that GM would stand behind their products; this request was also denied. GM representatives also refused to issue me a written explanation of denial. I am able to provide a copy of the service invoice and proof of ownership at the time of the incident.

- Belding, MI, USA

Dec 042013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights illuminate without pushing brake pedal. Cruise will not engage. Car fails to come out of park.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Dec 202013

G6

Power steering gives out randomly. Could be when parking could be when driving. This issue has been recalled on almost every year except this one even though this issue is prevalent amongst all G6 owners.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jan 112013

G6

I have had my 2007 Pontiac G6 for almost three years and the first year and a half was great no problems but January last year is when it all started going down hill first I was noticing that my gas mileage was getting worse so I took it to a mechanic and they stated I needed to replace my catalytic converter so I did. Next about 3 months ago my right headlight low beam went out and my boyfriend took out light and noticed the wires were completely burned off finally got that replaced. When I got my converter replaced they told me the mileage would get better and the gas smell would go away a year later now its getting worse and I have been told by a friend that its my fuel pump and its leaking gas. I have been driving around with my 1 year old son with a gas leak for a year which scares me and also makes me upset especially when I see that the G5 was recalled for this issue also and its common because they are putting me and my family at risk by not extending the recall to the G6 something needs to be done. Now im left to figure out a way to fix this when im a one car one income family. Please help and please fix this before someone gets hurt.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Oct 092013

G6

Noticed my passenger headlight was out, checked it and wiring connector was burnt.

- Roswell, NM, USA

Nov 252013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving my car on my way to work when the power steering message flashed on my radio. I then lost all power steering in my car. I couldn't steer the vehicle even when force was exerted. I ended up having to replace the power steering control module and the steering column. ($1,249) however, it is still hard to steer and I am not satisfied at all with the outcome. This vehicle is dangerous!

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA