NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 6 of 8)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jun 302013

G6 4-cyl

My passenger side low beam light went out. When I went to replace it, noticed that one side of the connector was melted. Went ahead and replaced the bulb anyways, but it will not work. Have been pulled over several times. From my research on how to fix this, I have come across countless others encountering the same problem from model years 2005-2009.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

May 232013

• 6,073,412 miles
The front electrical port was being used by an MP3 player fm transmitter while the vehicle was off. The fm transmitter turned off, and after the car was left alone for a few minutes, smoke was coming out from the vehicle and it smelled of burnt plastic. Fm transmitter was removed and the negative battery cable was disconnected. The source of smoke was the rear trunk fuse block which had melted around the site of the front electric port fuse. Once smoke cleared, negative cable was reattached. After a couple minutes of checking car electrical from drivers seat, the fuse block was checked and a small fire had started. This was quickly put out and negative cable to battery disconnected again. Any remaining metal bits from electric port fuse were removed and once the negative cable was again reattached, no more smoke appeared. However, park lamps would not turn off, car did not know trunk was closed, the left rear turn signal did not work (even though it lit up when park lamps were left on). Other random buttons on driver control panel did not work (rear defrost, but fuse was fine).

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Apr 052013

G6 6-cyl

While driving down the road I came to a stop when traffic ahead of me began to slow down. I was at a dead stop when a car came sliding past me in the gravel to the right of me. When we got to the stop sign the driver of that vehicle informed me that my brake lights were inoperative. I found this hard to believe considering I had just purchased the vehicle a month prior. About a week later I had a car honk at me and yell over to me that I had no brake lights when coming to a stop. When you start the car, you can walk around the back of the car and see that the brake lights are on, with nobody even in the car. I have followed my girlfriend while she was driving the car and they function the exact opposite way that they should, the brake lights are on the whole time you are driving and when coming to a stop the lights go out completely and do not return on until you begin accelerating again. I have had the brake pedal position sensor replaced, calibrated and it did cure the problem for a month or so, then the problem returned. Next I had the "fix" for the BCM connector performed, the dielectric grease did nothing. So now the problem remains, everyday people ride right on my bumper and I fear that an accident can come of this, and GM needs to find a fix for this and recall these vehicles asap.

- Davison , MI, USA

Aug 022010

G6

I was driving my 2007 G6 when someone pulled up beside me and honked their horn to get my attention. The man informed me that my brake lights were on while I was driving but turned off when I went to brake for the red light. I took my car to be fixed at a shop near my home, he replaced the sensor in the brake pedal. When I left his shop it worked perfectly fine. Working fine only last about 8 months when I noticed the reflection of my brake lights in traffic signs when I wasn't pushing on the brake I realized I once again was having the same issue. Since I have left that first shop in 2010, I have taken my G6 to 2 different shops within the last 3 years paying upwards of $500 to get the same issue resolved each time. The last time I took my car to the GMC dealership (2 weeks ago); they informed me that I have been there in June of 2011, September of 2012 and now June of 2013. The head technician told me he "has no idea what the issue is". he unplugged everything and plugged it all back in and they worked fine but the issue is obviously not resolved.

- Massillon, OH, USA

May 252010

G6 6-cyl

While driving my 2007 Pontiac G6 GT sedan I had someone flag my attention. He said that my brake lights were on while I was driving and shut off when I was actually braking at a stop light. Also, the cruise control was no longer in operation during this period of time. I had the brake switch replaced on my car. The problem still occurred at random. I have also been stuck in a few parking lots not being able to shift my car out of park. I had to re start my car several times and wait for a prolonged period before the car was able to shift to reverse so I could leave. I was alone in the dark on a snowy night for 30 minutes in a deserted parking lot the first time it happened. The brake light malfunction comes and goes throughout the years subsiding for a short periods of time but then returns at any given moment. This spring, the problem has returned non-stop and I have again, been flagged down by 3 other drivers to inform me of my brake lights being on while driving and going off when actually braking. I have also been followed too close by many drivers and cut off in traffic several times. The problem with the rear brake lights going on and off at the wrong times has been causing this type of road rage to be aimed at me and I feel it is putting me and my passengers in danger. In addition, I am unable to use my cruise control on the car due to the rear brake lights malfunction. I feel this problem with the brake lights is seriously dangerous and could easily cause an accident by sending the wrong signals to drivers who are driving behind this vehicle.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Jun 062013

G6 4-cyl

The wiring harness that the whole headlight assembly connects to is eroding and causes the headlight to go on and off and my low beam light does not work at all. I cleaned the wiring harness and put electrical grease for the connection to connect better it started to work but then started turning off again and the cable that is the power to the low beam seems to be burning up.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 012011

G6 4-cyl

My 2007 Pontiac G6 has repeating brake light illuminating issues. For almost two years the vehicles brake lights illuminate while brake is not applied. The brake lights are on driving at all speeds and actually stop illuminating when brake is applied. This has been happening consistently in warm and cold weather, rainy and dry weather. I have taken the vehicle to the local GM dealership here in cincinnati, oh and was told that they could not get the problem to repeat itself and therefore could not diagnose the vehicles issue. I am extremely concerned for my family's safety and the safety of other drivers on the road. Not only have I experienced this problem but a handful of times I have also seen other 2007 G6 on local roadways with illuminating brake lights during acceleration. Again I am extremely concerned and hope that with your help GM will recognize this issue and attempt to provide me as a owner the steps to ensure safety. Thank you

- Loveland , OH, USA

Feb 052013

G6

One day, without any incident, the brake lights started acting up. When not applying brake, brake lights shine. When I hit the brake, the brake lights turn off. I have had the brake switch replaced and have had dielectric grease put on conductors. The problem went away for a few months and now is back to acting up. I have read many other posts and blogs about said problem and I cannot believe that GM and the NHTSA have not done something for models newer than the 2005 G6. Someone is going to get killed because of this faulty system. I want these problems fixed before someone gets seriously hurt because of the company's negligence.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

May 072013

G6 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway with my cruise control on when it randomly turned off. The light was still on that shows that cruise control is ready to be on but it would not come back on and has been on and off since. The cruise control no longer works. My brake lights also have been acting up. While I drive without applying pressure to the brakes, the brake lights are on, but when I go to stop, they turn off.

- Boise, ID, USA

Nov 142012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights, including the third brake light, appear to be illuminating when the brake is not applied and not illuminating when the brake is applied. They appear to be working opposite than intended. Also, cruise control disengages intermittently and cannot be reset until after the car is turned off and started again. I have replaced the wiring harness for both headlamps because the connectors overheated and caused headlamps to fail. The brake light may cause me to have an accident and will most certainly cause me to fail the state inspection. I don't understand why a further recall has not been issued other than the 2005 models. Obviously the problem is across the entire product line of G6's.

- N Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jan 152013

G6 6-cyl

Approximately 4 months ago my traction control light would come on randomly. After car would be shut off the warning light would go away after I re-started the vehicle. Did not think to much of it due to it being winter and thought the road conditions were causing it. Since the weather has cleared I noticed when driving on the interstate with my cruise on all of a sudden my cruise would shut off and could not get it to go back on, and again the service traction light came on until I shut off my car. Could not use my cruise at all. It wasn't till recently that someone on the road flagged me down and said that when I am driving the brake lights were on and when I brake they went out. Not good. Talked with the dealership and they said it was the brake light switch. Had that replaced but did not even fix the problem for a day. Next day the entire process started over and I am still have problems with the brakes on when I am depressing the gas and going out when I hit the brakes. Did some research and have found my other people have this same problem. I feel this should be a recall!!!! asap this is an accident waiting to happen. I also read that the BCM has fixed this problem for some but also need to be re calibrated after the part it replaced. I am going to try this and see what happens, don't really like driving my car in this condition. I hope that with all the complaints I have read on this something will be done before the accidents start happening.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Jul 152011

G6 4-cyl

I bought this car used, and have since had nothing but electrical problems with it. I had the wiring housing for my headlight replaced and still have issues. My brake lights" where do I start" I have had the brake light switch replaced at least twice and they still do not work right. They work in reverse most of the time. The brake lights stay on while I'm driving, and when I stop they turn off, or they just go on and off at will.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

May 312012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on while pressing gas...when pressing brake they shut off. When this problem is occurring you have to press real hard to get out of park to drive. This is a serious issue which where the brake lights doesn't warn other drivers when stopping which could lead to a crash. There hasn't been any accidents reported yet what I have read but I do believe this issue needs to be resolved before you do have a accident. I would hate to see this not get recalled and kill someone over a simple fix.

- Hardyville, KY, USA

Nov 142012

G6

I noticed that my brake lights will stay on when the brakes are not engaged and when I press down on the brake pedal the brake lights turn off. Once I depress the pedal the brake lights will go on again. This will happen on random occasions, sometimes the brake lights work fine and then sometimes they malfunction. I have also noticed that sometimes the cruise control will not engage while other times it will. There have been two occasions where the cruise control disengaged while traveling on the highway.

- Logansport, IN, USA

Aug 242012

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control turns off mid driving sometimes, and at times doesn't work at all. Brake lights come on at random times and sometimes stay on while im driving. They turn off when I actually do push the brakes. The problem is constant and has happened many many times.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 152013

G6 6-cyl

Low beam headlights went out at same time, not the bulbs or the anyone of the 3 fuses. Wiring harness is corroded. Unusual problem for a 2007 vehicle.

- Fraser, MI, USA

Dec 312012

G6

Brakes, and brake rotors have been replaced numerous times. Too many electrical malfunctions to mention. Today, my wife said her power steering light came on. It scares me that she has to drive my son to school in this car. I have researched this vehicle, and found numerous safety issues with other owners as well. I have contacted the different dealers for help, to no avail. Why isn't there a recall yet?

- Bigelow , AR, USA

Jul 152011

G6 6-cyl

There is a current recall on the brake lights of the 2005-2006 G6 cars, NHTSA campaign id number: 09V036000. But there are a lot of owners of 2007 cars that are having the exact same issues but we can not get the fixes applied to our cars because it's not covered in the recall dates....you guys should really think about things before you randomly slap a date on things. I bought my G6 in Dec of 2006, I have had issues with the sunroof, the right side headlight wiring melted, the brake lights are coming on by themselves and we are on our third engine, which the dealership said was because we did not change the oil, but they did the oil changes. I am tired of pouring money into this crappy car, the least you guys could do is realize that there were probably some of the same parts on the floor when the next years models were started and the first few months of the next year after they changed the parts are most likely going to be affected by the issues and should be included in the recall.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Jun 012011

G6 4-cyl

At least twice a week since I purchased the car from a previous owner, the power steering would lock on me and I am unable to steer anymore. This would happen anywhere from going 10mph to 70mph. The only way that I could steer again is to turn off the car and turn it back on as I am moving the steering wheel to unlock it. Thankfully I managed to prevent any accidents but it is just a matter of time before something happens. I took the car to a dealership and was told it was fixed but few weeks later same problem. I would be driving on a main road and right before I have to turn it locks on me so I have to turn off the car in the middle of the road to unlock it. This is a big safety issue. Something needs to be done about it. I cannot afford to keep spending money to fix this issue. This was a problem with a G5 and they did a recall on it. I cannot believe that the same problem is happening to G6 now and they will not do anything about it. I called GM several times but they said because this is an electrical problem my 10 year power train warranty wont cover it and therefore they wont even take a look at it (unless I pay out of pocket). Never again will I buy a GM car.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Jun 162010

G6

I financed this used car in 2010 at 27,000 miles. Since I have had this car I have not had the chance to really enjoy it because I am constantly fixing on it. I ave had a lot of problems. I have replaced brakes 2X once with rotors and they are goin out again including rotors. I am constantly replacing tires. My steering wheel pops when turning and I have had this fixed once. Traction gone. Had heat/air on and smoke smelling like a firecracker came from passenger dashboard. My biggest problem right now is that I had the whole suspension system replaced and now I am constantly replacing the lugs on my front left tire because the constantly pop off. Brake lights and headlights constantly goes out. Air bag, engine, and traction light goes on and off (sometimes staying on). Power in driver door gone out for windows resulting in 3 windows unable to roll up/down but will work when wants. Only one will go down using its own panel. Replaced a crack in lca. Remote starter gone out. Car wheel shakes occasionally. Interior lights doesn't work except front dashboard but minus where gear shaft at (went out after smoke from dashboard). Needs struts to be replaced. Also jerks with a huge pop that you can feel when putting car in gear. When accelerating you can feel it shift gears. I am currently only at about 83000 miles. Nothing but trouble. Scared serious accident may happen because of the lugs constantly poppin off. We don't know why. I called Pontiac and GM and no recalls on this car except power-train and warranty for trans and none of this was covered by warranty or them period. Tired of this car so tired!! GM and Pontiac need to do something this is terrible to only be a 2007.

- Detroit, MI, USA