NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 7 of 8)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Feb 132008

G6

First the darn radio stop working off and on after I got it and all the way to now, for as long as I owned it. And then the steering wheel started making popping sounds and now the headlights keeps blowing bulbs because the darn wires are burning. On top of that the manual says that it gets 30 mpg and I only can get up to 23 mpg. If I knew this I would of left that darn car on that lot.

- Utica , MS, USA

Dec 202011

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that he noticed that the adelco battery was weak and decided to have it evaluated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the dealer stated that some of the wires were melted and corrosion was also present. In addition, the dealer located a hole in the fuse box and damage existed on various other electrical components. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 51,000.

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Jan 152012

G6

The brake lamps to illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, or the lamps may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. In addition, the cruise control may not engage, and greater brake pedal force may be required to shift the vehicle out of park.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 012009

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on even with no pressure on the brake pedal. The cruise will not stay engaged when this happens. People following me have told me I should not ride my brake as they can't tell when I am going to stop. The brake lights staying on is intermittent, it can happen with the car in park and at various speeds. This is a safety concern. My research has identified that there has been many complaints for this and that a recall is available for 2005 & 2006, our 2007 has the same problem and needs to be included in the recall.

- Middleton, ID, USA

Oct 122011

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on. This only happens after the car has been driven 10+ miles.at this point the cruise control disengages and the manual shift feature won't work. I took it to a Pontiac dealer (now a Buick GMC dealer) 2 times and spent $250 on repairs with no success. Dealer says he has no idea. This is a serious safety matter. The G6 owners club is getting more and more complaints of this every day.

- Milford , CT, USA

Dec 012010

G6 4-cyl

My passenger side low beams were burning out, I took my vehicle to the dealer in Dec (2010), one year later, it's back. I noticed the connection was completely shorted and burnt. Prob won't last much longer. This past Aug (2011) my fuel pump started leaking fuel, it was the assembly which had a hairline fracture which was unrepairable, had to replace the complete assembly for $350. For the last couple years my steering does a popping sound and feel when I make slow sharp turns (as in U-turns). The dealer temporary fixed it once, but it returned before I could even forget about it. Their solution was greasing the steering joint. My ac/heating fan was making a ticking sound while it was on a couple years back (around Nov 2009), the dealer fixed the ticking but it returned last year. Though it's not as loud or annoying as before I've learned to tune it out, not too fun for my passengers though.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 162010

G6

When opening a door on the car I gotta hit tap on the ceiling then it will come on. The door locks stay unlocked even at 55 mph. Radio stopped working at 82000 miles then at 86000 the front speakers cut in and out.

- Bay City, WI, USA

Sep 012008

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights on my car come on when I am not pressing the brake. I can be driving and they will come on by themselves, I can tell because the cruise control will dis engage and will not re engage. It took me a while to isolate the problem to the brakes, I had to have someone follow me in order to tell me when it was happening. It poses a safety risk because, you have you brake lights on all the time so cars behind you don't know when you are actually stopping.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA

Jan 122011

G6

I have had my 2007 Pontiac G6 GT for about 3 years and I have had numerous problems with it. The main safety concern I have is my brake lights will intermittently flicker on and off while I am driving it whether I press in the brakes or now. This causes the cruise control not to work as well as the cruise control is activated when you press the brake pedal in. I have had the brake pedal switch replaced but that only ceased the problem for a few days. I have had people pull over because they think I'm braking for a deer when I'm not. I have almost been in numerous accident especially in winter when the roads are bad and my brake lights will stay on causing the driver behind me to brake when there is now need to. Thank god I don't have children because this is a huge electrical malfunction and safety hazard. The other main problem I have is my panoramic roof no longer works. It will open about a half an inch and will get stuck. I bought this car for that main feature and it was very expensive with a panoramic roof. My warranty will not cover any of these expenses because I have 40,000 miles on my car. I am very disappointed as I believe Pontiac should have to pay for a malfunction such as these two. Much roof also makes a lot of noise in which I didn't realize because now it is closed all the time and was usually open before this. I will never buy a Pontiac vehicle again. Just because they don't make them doesn't mean they should let people drive unsafe and dangerous vehicles on the road.

- Plymouth, WI, USA

Jan 122011

- Plymouth, WI, USA

Oct 302010

G6 6-cyl

Brake light remain on while driving. When press on brake, brake light goes out. Someone can easily hit me in the back due to brake light malfunction. The brake light stays on entire time driving down road. I replaced brake sensor and it did not fix the problem.

- Cross, SC, USA

Oct 272010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the headlights were flickering and the passenger side air bag light and all lights on the instrument panel were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local shop who stated that there was an electrical short. The manufacturer was contacted and they said that they were unable to help because the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 53,000 and the current mileage was 57,642.

- Freeport , FL, USA

Aug 082010

G6

2007 Pontiac G6 has problems with the brakes lights not working properly. Same problems as tsb-08-05-009A but, not covered under recall. Hard to shift from park, brake lights working intermittently.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Aug 012010

G6

I have a problem that intermittently affects different aspects of the vehicle. The brakes lights will not operate properly. When the issues occurs the vehicle is very difficult to shift out of park. The brake lights will all be on with no pressure on the brake pedal. When the brake pedal is depressed the brake lights will go out. Basically working in reverse. When pressure is applied to the gas pedal the brake lights will come back on. The cruise control will not operate when the issue is occurring. Sometimes the issue can be resolved by stopping the vehicle, turn off the vehicle and restart. The issue will also just begin while the vehicle is in motion and may just as suddenly quit while the vehicle is in motion. There are no warning lights on the dash to indicate the issue is occurring. Only at night, in a dark environment, are you able to know the issue is occurring because of the ability to see the center brake light is light. During the daylight, or city light environment, the non-functioning cruise is the only indication of the problem. Improperly functioning brake lights is a high safety concern for me. When the issue is not occurring all brake lights are working properly as is the cruise control. Internet search indicates this is a common problem with this vehicle.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Jul 152010

G6 4-cyl

2007 Pontiac G6 V4, turned car on today and warning message says power steering. The power steering is shot, we have done nothing but drive this car responsibly. Yesterday it was working fine, this morning it was not- can't imagine having the power steering stop working while driving!!!

- Lincoln, NE, USA

May 092010

G6

2007 Pontiac G6 GT- electrical problem. Approx. 3 times over the past year my battery has been drained because the radio failed to turn off after the engine was turned off and the key removed. I have now replaced the battery, .

- Toney, AL, USA

May 022010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact was driving at approximately 35 mph at night when the radio system volume failed to function with the headlights or parking lights engaged. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road and inspected. The contact was able to detect an electrical problem with the headlights. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and repair. The radio system was replaced. However, after the service repair the rear passenger brake light and rear right turn signal failed to operate. The authorized dealer had been notified of the malfunctions. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 36,300.

- Hamlin, NY, USA

Nov 182009

G6

The brake lamps may not operate properly because of corrosion in a wiring connector. Corrosion in the connector could cause the brake lamps to illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, or the lamps may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. In addition, the cruise control may not engage, and greater brake pedal force may be required to shift the vehicle out of park. Brake lamps that are not operating properly may not warn a driver in a following vehicle of the braking status and could lead to a crash without prior warning.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Oct 182009

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving, the brake lights does not come on when she engage the brake pedal; however, it does when steps on the accelerator pedal. The contact was advised of this failure by a vehicle following her. The dealer stated that the BCM sensor could have a shortage and could cost $50 to $200 to be replaced. There is no warranty or related recall. The failure mileage was 51,000. Updated 12/11/09 the consumer stated another motorist informed her that when she applied the brakes the brake lights did not illuminate and when she acclerated the brake lights illuminated. The problem was discovered to the body control module and had to be replaced. Updated 12/11/09 updated 01/19/10 updated 01/20/10.

- Bayshore, NY, USA

Nov 152006

G6

I purchased a 2007 ponatic G6 brand new in Nov 2006 and have been having these problems from day one. General Motors and the dealership are not trying to help me and the car is a big safety hazard. Throttle body went out which makes the car shut off while U are driving(2X), steering wheel column keeps making a noise when I turn back up or pull forward(all the time), windshield wipers completely stopped working(1X), remote start and keyless entry doesn't work(has been replaced over two times and still doesn't work) display screen says my air bags are deployed and no im scared to drive my car.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA