NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2.2

2007 Pontiac G6 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there was a fuel odor and noticed fuel leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Zephyrhills , FL, USA

Apr 012015

G6

Cracked 90 elbow on fuel pump, leaks fuel on top of tank and onto exhaust.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Apr 042015

G6 6-cyl

The vehicle appears to have the same faulty fuel pump return line found in similar GM vehicles for that year. Surprisingly, the G6 was omitted from the recall although the same faulty part poses a potential fire hazard. On 04/04/2015 the vehicle began to leak fuel from the fuel pump line - releasing harmful gasoline vapor into the air that may - given the right conditions - potentially ignite. I brought the vehicle and my consumer concerns to a local GMC dealership and contacted GM directly. Unfortunately, GM will not responsibly repair the flawed part at their expense - giving dealerships the leverage to insist that owners pay for GM's flawed fuel/propulsion system that somehow evaded the recall for this vehicle. Given the billions of taxpaying dollars that GM was given one would expect more from the automaker.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 172015

G6 6-cyl

Just bought a used 2007 Pontiac G6 and in doing so when I drove it then parked a strong smell of gas was coming from right sid, took the car to get a look over, it has a fuel leak. Needs a fuel pump.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

G6

Leaking fuel pump / propulsion system...strong smell of gas inside and outside the vehicle...leaking gas on muffler.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

G6

2007 G6 4dr is hard to start and getting progressively harder to start with a strong smell of gas inside and outside vehicle.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jan 132015

G6 6-cyl

RPM revs up at 2 going 60 mph..30 mph I have to push on the gas to get the RPM up... fuel pump. I see their are recalls for fuel pumps; again not mine..why is GM aloud to cherry pick what cars get recalled" same year, make and models..I have received two recalls all ready but it does not show recall for my car on your site when I enter the VIN #...why is that"

- Hiwatha, IA, USA

Jul 012014

G6

While driving there is a bad fuel smell coming from the rear area of the car. The smell was faint in the beginning but the longer I wait to have it fixed the worse it becomes. This is a serious issue that should be recalled by GM the inhalation of gas fumes is not safe but the cost to have this fixed is anywhere from $400 to $1000 depending on where you go to have it fixed. This is a manufacture default and needs serious attention. Please GM give us a break!

- Granbury, TX, USA

Sep 242014

G6

Pontiac G6 2007 90,000 miles fuel system leak started smelling fuel fumes, I lifted the car and noticed a leak coming from top of the fuel tank and was leaking down aft side of fuel tank and onto exhaust pipe; now that has me concerned. I've read plenty of other instances with customers having the same problem. Is there any solution from the manufacturer such as a recall or special fix?

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Aug 252014

G6

A few months ago I noticed a strong gas odor in and around my car. Finally after taking it in, the car shop said I had a gas leak and that I needed a new fuel pump high cost me almost $900. There are days when I still smell a faint gas odor while I'm driving. I'm concerned because for my job I do a lot of traveling in my car and I am pregnant and also at times I have my toddler with me for errands. This issue needs to be addressed asap by GM! people's lives are at stake!

- Mckinney , TX, USA

Oct 222014

G6 6-cyl

Notice strong fuel odor. Took car to dealer and was told fuel pump leaking, fuel coming from top of fuel tank and drips on exhaust, needs attention now.this as noted on report from dealer. The NHTSA noted on 2012-09-19 for the 2007 G5 "some of these vehicles have a condition in which the plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump module may crack, which could cause a fuel leak". GM has notified G5 owners of recall but G6 owners having same problem are not covered. This is a very dangerous and serious condition that is occurring in both models. GM should included G6 in recall and protect the drivers and passengers that purchased their product.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 052014

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact noticed fuel fumes present in the vehicle due to an intermittent leak coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician indicated that the fuel pump neck along with the fuel pipe fractured. The fuel pump needed to be replaced, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Batesville, AR, USA

Sep 142014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the fuel tank was leaking. The contact noticed a puddle of fuel underneath the vehicle whenever it was stationary. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 10/29/14 the consumer stated the fuel pump was diagnosed as the failure. The fuel pump and tank were leaking gas. The consumer believes GM should be responsible for the repairs. Updated 4/23/2015

- Batesville, AR, USA

Aug 012014

G6 6-cyl

Fuel smell around car. Leaking from around gas tank area.

- Conway, AR, USA

Jan 302014

G6

I just hit my 80K miles. General Motors extended warranty for emissions to 100K on 2.3 engine's. I have 3.5 engine. My check engine light came on; test showed Cadillac converter. I telephoned #1 cochran in monroeville 5X and never received a return call to do emissions test on machine. This is where I purchased the car new. Then I telephoned bowser Pontiac and they couldn't get me an appt till weeks because they were busy and had employees that kept calling off. I had my mechanic do the emission's test, he made a report showing this issue. I called GM and explained if they can do the customer good will claim based on the report from my mechanic because the dealer's could not get me an appointment. They said no. They deal with only GM dealer's not mechanics. So being just missed the mileage warranty GM is not willing to work with me to accept my mechanic's report to show they should have extended the warranty to the 3.5 engine's too. Due to the inability and non-willing to work with their gmac customer's I am looking to file a complaint with General Motors as they could not accommodate me and I had to have my mechanic diagnose and pay for this repair out of pocket because they would not do a good will claim with my mechanic because the dealer's could not get me in to get a diagnostic test. I have documents to show this issue with the GM dealer and they reused to accommodate me with the issue that their parts were ineffective and they did not abide their warranty by a few miles and to work with me to file a good faith claim, meaning sometimes GM pays for all or some of the repair based on the report, but must have diagnostic test done at dealer and none of the dealers could get me an appt, and I was driving around for 4 weeks with the check engine light on and did not want to damage my vehicle with not being able to get an appointment at any time soon.

- Dravosburg, PA, USA

Jan 112013

G6

I have had my 2007 Pontiac G6 for almost three years and the first year and a half was great no problems but January last year is when it all started going down hill first I was noticing that my gas mileage was getting worse so I took it to a mechanic and they stated I needed to replace my catalytic converter so I did. Next about 3 months ago my right headlight low beam went out and my boyfriend took out light and noticed the wires were completely burned off finally got that replaced. When I got my converter replaced they told me the mileage would get better and the gas smell would go away a year later now its getting worse and I have been told by a friend that its my fuel pump and its leaking gas. I have been driving around with my 1 year old son with a gas leak for a year which scares me and also makes me upset especially when I see that the G5 was recalled for this issue also and its common because they are putting me and my family at risk by not extending the recall to the G6 something needs to be done. Now im left to figure out a way to fix this when im a one car one income family. Please help and please fix this before someone gets hurt.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Nov 012013

G6 4-cyl

There is a fuel leak coming from the fuel tank. The leak is directly above the exhaust which is very dangerous. I believe it is from a fuel line or the fuel pump.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Aug 052013

G6 4-cyl

A strong odor of gasoline present when the car is running, being driven and when stopped. Fuel leak from around the fuel tank.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jul 022013

G6

Recently smelled fuel inside car. Problem was a leaking fuel rail, which I was told was very unusual. $500 in repairs. This part is rarely defective, vehicle has 47K miles. Out of warranty, but I am looking for some type of reimbursement due to the serious safety concern of leaking fuel in a hot engine compartment.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Jun 062013

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a strong gasoline fuel odor while parked or when being driven. As the contact drove approximately 45 mph, the vehicle caught on fire with the illumination of the check engine and air bag warning lights. The contact was able to exit the vehicle without injury. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed and was not inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 116,947.

- Swainsdroo, GA, USA