NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 9) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Jun 242015

My brake lights do not aluminate, other vehicles are unaware when my vehicle is slowing down or stopped in traffic.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Feb 012014

I had to replace the passenger low beam headlight back in February 2015 and again in April 2015. The low beam headlight went out again 3 days later. I have since been pulled over for a headlight lamp being out. I keep replacing the low beam headlight but clearly it's not the bulb. I had a 2008 Pontiac G6 prior to the 2007 Pontiac G6 and it had the same problem with the passenger low beam headlight. I called GM to see about recalls for this issue and was told it was the brake lamp malfunction. I specified that nothing was wrong with my brake lights and they then told me it was still under the recall so they scheduled and appointment with the dealership to have it fixed. Upon arriving home after I left the dealership for this recall and the passenger low beam headlight was still out. I immediately called the dealership back and told them it was still out and they preceeded to tell me it was not part of the recall. So now my headlight is still out and I have nobody to help me address this issue. It is a safety issue. I have to drive with the high beam lights on just to be able to see at night.

- Milton, FL, USA

Feb 042015

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. On several occasions, the low beam headlights stopped illuminating. The contact replaced the light bulbs multiple times, but the lights continued to burn out. While replacing the bulbs, it was discovered that both light bulb sockets experienced burning and melting. The contact indicated that the odor of burning plastic was present when the headlights were activated for extended periods of time. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Apr 012015

Headlamp wiring is defective from the factory. Headlamp wiring and connectors burn out due to inability to withstand heat generated by normal factory headlamp bulbs. This is a widely known problem. Numerous complaints exist on this site, in addition to service bulletins. Every mechanic in town, dealership, body shop, etc. Says the same thing. "until they issue a recall, there is nothing we can do but keep charging you to fix the connector." I have paid three times to have this issue fixed and my car has 62,000 miles on it. When will someone investigate this and issue a proper recall? it is not safe to have your headlights suddenly go out when driving 75 mph on the interstate in the middle of the night.

- Coppell, TX, USA

May 082013

G6 6-cyl

Replace the bulb but keep shortage out with the wiring burning. I don't know why but this the third time or more lost count. The most recently is 2/28/2015. I have to buy a whole headlamp because the wiring is burnt. I can take a picture of it you would like me too. Also, I don't want to get a ticket because I have a headlamp out.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 082014

G6 6-cyl

2007 Pontiac G6. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall# 13036.* ld the consumer is seeking reimbursement.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Aug 272014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V224000 (power train) and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 162011

Front drivers side factory headlight (left side) became hazed over when car had low miles and had always been stored inside. Car has always been kept very clean! noticed many other Pontiac G6S' having the same exact issue.

- Boone, IA, USA

Mar 032014

G6 6-cyl

I own a Pontiac G6 2007 I was having problems with the headlights going out and the wires was burnt and a little bit after that my transmission started to grind and wine while I was driving doing 45mph so I had it towed home and it been there until I can find out if its do to the recall.

- Stjoseph, MO, USA

Aug 112014

G6 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 35-40 mph approaching an intersection with a stop sign, (which can sneak up on you if you are not familiar with the area, which I am), and applied my brakes to slow for the sign. The vehicle behind me did not appear to be slowing, and then I hear brakes screeching. The vehicle did manage to stop before hitting me; however, I was rattled. After the almost crash, the driver pulled alongside me and informed me that my brake lights were out. Because it was daylight, I went home to investigate, placed my vehicle in park with the engine running, and observed the brake lights were illuminated. When I applied the brake, my fiance observed the brake lights go off. Unfortunately, I am familiar with this problem and have taken my vehicle into the dealership on two prior occasions to have the issue fixed. Apparently it wasn't and is still a problem with the 2007 Pontiac G6's.

- Webster Groves, MO, USA

May 132014

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The dealer stated that the parts were unavailable to perform the recall repair and could not provide an estimated date of arrival. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 09/02/14 updated 11/7/2014

- Shirley, IN, USA

Sep 032012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake lights illuminated when the brake pedal was not applied. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic and vehicle speed control) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not give a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had experienced the failure intermittently. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Belleville, IL, USA

May 292014

I work nights and noticed my tail lamps were really bright when I drove by reflective signs. Though I didn't think much at the time this continued. I stopped for gas one morning when I couldn't get my car from park to drive. I really had to mash the brakes down to get from park to drive. I recently was pulled over due to my tail lights not working correctly. The police officer noticed that my tail lights were lit up while driving and would turn off when I came to a stop at the light and when he pulled me over. He didn't ticket me but wanted to let my know about the issue. I looked for recalls and sure enough my 07 G6 was on the recall list but apparently it's VIN specific. I even took it to the local GM dealer, kerry Chevrolet, and they couldn't find any recalls with my car. The person at the dealer ship gave me GM's number and even they told me I probably shouldn't drive the car. Though all my issues are on the recall from the NHTSA campaign number 14V252000 my car is not included in the recall. Nor is the transmission cable thing. I won't go into this. This is a problem waiting to happen. GM should make this right and all inclusive for all model years that are affected by this not just VIN specific. I've been loyal to you for many years but maybe not for long!

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Aug 072013

G6 6-cyl

I used to work late nights, and while driving home one night I noticed my brake lights were really bright. When I pushed the brake pedal down my brake lights would turn off. I also have problems pulling my car from park to reverse or drive. It makes me really nervous to drive and it seems as though it just keeps getting worse. I don't know what to do or even how to fix it. I really can't find anybody who knows how to fix it. Everything I've looked up is just a temporary fix. It's just extremely frustrating, and I really don't want to end up with a huge ticket or getting into an accident because of it.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

May 292014

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights come on while driving and turn off when brake is pressed passenger headlight comes on sometimes severe leaking into passenger floor board when rains.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Mar 272014

G6 6-cyl

My G6 sports convertible has a tendency to lock me in the car.. it has a retractable roof and the windows function up and down and inch for security reasons when using the roof.. on such day, I was not using the roof and pulled in my driveway and put it in park and the driver door locked me in... would not let me open the door.. I turned off the radio thinking it may have something to do with it but didnt.. the only door that would open was the passenger side door.. if that would not have let me out I would have been locked inside my vehicle.. also, the traction light comes on when I didnt even have it on.. in summer I do not use the traction feature, onlyif it is raining hard. Three times for the light and two times now locking me in.. I contacted a Pontiac service rep and he said I probably have a door lock defect. After many attempts once getting out of the car through the passenger side may I note that the key would not even unlock the door.. makes me feel petrified that I am going to be locked in my car and I am claustrophobic.. please GM look into this issue.. thirdly there is a hiss that is coming from the motor and all is fine under the hood, the car is practically new at 22000 miles and these things should not be occuring.. at the time of this incident my car was not in the recall.. now it is! help!

- Clairton, PA, USA

May 012013

G6 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle the passenger low beam did not illuminate. Changed the bulb, did not help. Checked the wiring and the connection between the bulb and the wiring was melted. Replaced the entire headlight assembly which solved the issue for a month. One of the connections on the female terminal of the wiring harness to the assembly has corroded and causes the light to short. This has made driving difficult if not impossible at night.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Apr 152014

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights come on, and stay on, while driving and go off when the brake pedal is depressed. (exactly the opposite of the way it should) when parked, the brake lights will stay on unless the brake is fully depressed to the floor. (something that can not be done while driving) once it is released, they will continue to stay on, even when brake pedal is not depressed. This is very dangerous and after reviewing the multitude of complaints this appears to be a common issue with G6 cars.

- Council Hill, OK, USA

Jan 012011

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving various speeds and depressing the brakes, the brake light failed to illuminate. The contact stated that the failure was a recurring problem. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the vehicle was repaired with dielectric grease. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Cuyaahog Falls, OH, USA

Sep 122012

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights on my Pontiac G6 2007 do not function correctly. When driving they stay on, when pressing on the brake they go out. My cruise control does not work either. I have changed the brake light sensor five times and it works for a day or so, and goes out again. I have read that other customers have this problem as well. It is very dangerous.

- Columbus, OH, USA