NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 4 of 9) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Oct 122013

G6 6-cyl

Last week I was following my son down the highway when I noticed his brake lights were on while driving. I also noticed that when we approached a stop light, his brake lights went off. I have no idea how long he had been driving his vehicle with no brakes lights while braking. Hindsight, most likely, when his cruise control stopped working (early summer). He is a college student that attends a university 3 hours from home and travels the interstate frequently. This is an extremely dangerous situation and I find it very negligent that there has not been a recall on this faulty sensor. Would any employee of General Motors want their child driving a vehicle with no brake lights? please put a recall on these vehicles for this problem.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Jan 042013

Brake lights illuminate while driving and foot is not on the brake, then turn off when the brake is pressed. Sometimes blink first and they illuminate after about a minute. Also sometimes it is difficult to shift out of park. I brought the car in to the GMC dealership once already, the brake lights seemed to work fine for a few months and then the issue started all over again. Have 2nd appointment at the dealership today for the same issue.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 022013

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Pontiac G6. The brake lights come on when the brake pedal is not even touched. When I do apply the brake, the brake light shuts off. This has caused several "close calls" during highway driving. I am aware that there was a recall for this exact problem on the 2005 and 2006 Pontiac G6's, which was diagnosed as corrosion in a wiring connector problem. Perhaps some of these bad wiring connectors were used in the 2007 cars. I contacted GM and got the "party line" "sorry but your year 2007 is not included in the recall" even though the problem is exactly the same as the recalled 2005's and 2006's. will it take a terrible accident to acknowledge that there is a serious problem here"????????"

- Maineville, OH, USA

Sep 232009

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights staying on even without foot on brake and around the same time, not realizing they might be connected, difficulty shifting car out of park. Have made several attempts to get repaired and no one is able to solve the problem. Very frustrating.

- Patten, ME, USA

Sep 122013

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights failed to illuminate and when the pedal was not being depressed, the brake lights would remain illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,900. The current mileage was 108,934. Updated 10/17/13

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Sep 012012

The brake lights on my 2007 Pontiac G6 GT do not operate as they should most of the time. The brake lights come on when the car is running even though the brakes are not being applied, then when I do brake the lights turn off(sometimes they will flash and come back on). This has nearly caused me to be rear ended on multiple occasions with cars swerving out of the lane behind me more than once to avoid hitting the car. Also, this being a smaller issue, when the brake lights are on while I am driving I cannot engage the cruise control or if it has been engaged with the brake lights off when they come on they disengage it.

- Bonney Lake, WA, USA

May 132013

G6 5-cyl

Our 2007 Pontiac G6 brake lights illuminate when the brake pedal is not depressed. Once the pedal is pressed the lights go off. We have had the car into the dealership at least 5 times for the same issue and we have replaced the lighting switch once. The shop has told us that they have done everything they can do to fix the issue but the problem still exists. This is extremely dangerous on the highway and we have had people behind us lock up their brakes to avoid rear rending us because they aren't aware that we are actually on the brakes when they are following us.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 032011

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights are getting stuck on. The issue happened a couple of times shortly after I bought the car, but nothing to worry about. Now each time I drive the car, my brake lights are getting stuck on. When I tap the break, the lights turn off all together. I am going to have to get this repaired since I can be ticketed for this, and/or get into an accident. Faulty brake switch? the issue also causes a problem with my cruise control to refuse to engage.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Nov 012010

The brake lights do not work properly. They are typically on when the brake pedal is not depressed, and turn off when it is. Sometimes if I'm parked, and I push really hard on the brake pedal, they will come on and go off when I let up (as they should). However, after some time, they revert back to working opposite from how they should. I've had the car since 2008 and discovered this about 2 years after I had it when a friend was following me. At the time, I found that a recall had been issued for the exact same problem for earlier models of this car, but there was/is no recall at this time for more recent models. Additionally, I have occasionally had the problem of the car being difficult to shift out of park. I've found that if this happens, I can shift when I push the brake pedal all the way to the floor.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 032013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights come on while traveling down road and go dim when brake is pressed. Hard to shift from park. If baking and turning ESC light (electronic stability control) comes on.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA

May 202012

While driving home with my brother following me in a separate car, he told me that the brake lights on my car were on the whole time, only turning off when I applied the brakes (briefly) before turning back on. I have noticed this when I start the car via remote (the brake lights and chmsl are on) and in reflections as I drive... if I apply the brakes hard, the lights will go off briefly, but come back on as I drive. I do not drive with one foot on the brake pedal, and this has been a constant problem I have been noticing. There have not been any incidents with other vehicles (I'm assuming they're keeping far away because my brake lights are on), and I am aware of the NHTSA investigation into the Chevrolet Malibu from that year for the same issue. My car is a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT convertible. As well, the stability control (the GT convertibles were equipped with it) intermittently comes on with an error message... the dealer has used a scanner to check the problem, but nothing has registered in the computer history.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Aug 062010

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights come on while driving without touching the brake pedal.

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA

Aug 022010

My headlights stopped working. We had the light bulb and fuses replaced but it appeared that the cords were corroded and burned. We had to replace the entire headlamp. Once we done that, they lasted about a 9 months to a year before that set went out, replace the head lamp again and still had the same issue.

- Sparta, TN, USA

Aug 252013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while decelerating, the brake lights failed to illuminate and erroneously illuminated while the brake pedal was not depressed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 74,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

May 282013

G6 4-cyl

It is often very hard to shift the car into gear. Sometimes pressing the brake very hard with 2 feet will allow it to shift, other times we have to shut the engine off and on and then press the brake pedal very hard and it will shift. Now the brake lights are not working correctly. They stay on when the brake is not depressed. They sometimes go off when the brake is depressed. This car belongs to my teen daughter. This is a major safety issue.

- Calais, ME, USA

Aug 012012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on without pressure being applied to the brake pedal. Brake lights go off when brake pedal is depressed. Brake light malfunction causes the cruise control system to work erratically.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 152013

When braking, the lights operate incorrectly. When the brakes are depressed, the lights are off and when the brakes are not pressed, the lights are on. Also when this occurs, the cruise controls fails to function. Also when this occurs, the brake must be depressed aggressively to shift out of park. This are the symptoms similar to service bulletin 10032206 / sb-08-05-22-009A.

- Grayslake, IL, USA

Aug 012013

G6 6-cyl

When the 2007 Pontiac G6 is in drive the brake lights are indicated bright as if the brake pedal is being pressed. When the pedal is not pressed the brake lights are illuminated as if the pedal is being pressed. When the pedal is pressed to apply the brakes the brake lights go from bright to off indicating the brakes are not being applied when, in fact, they are.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jul 252013

Brake lights were reported on while I'm not depressing the brake pedal and going off when I press the brakes in. I started having trouble shifting out of park, and my cruise control works intermittently.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 262013

G6 6-cyl

Driving along at dusk and noticed that the chmsl was lit in the rear-view mirror. Stepped on brake pedal and chmsl went out. Drove another 200 feet and light went back on. Repeated sequence several times. Brake lights stay on and then go out when brake pedal is pushed.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA