NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 6 of 9) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Feb 012010

G6 6-cyl

2007 Pontiac G6 brake lights stay on constantly whether the petal is pushed or not.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Apr 282013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights on my G6 are operating in reverse. When I accelerate, the brake lights stay on but when I come to a stop, they go off. The issue occurs sporadically. Also, the cruise control will go off for no reason and sometimes it refuses to set. When I called the GM dealership where I bought my car to tell them of the brake problem, the guy in the service department told me he wasn't at all familiar with the problem. This is a dangerous issue and I'm filing this complaint as a last resort.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 082012

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake lights failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The brake lights also remained illuminated when the brakes were not being engaged. The failure recurred intermittently. In addition, the contact stated that the cruise control engaged and disengaged independently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or a repair shop for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000. The current mileage was 90,000. Updated 12-16-13 updated 12/18/13

- Pittsboro, IN, USA

Jun 012011

G6 4-cyl

Brakes lights illuminate when foot off pedal; brakes lights turn off when pushing brake pedal. Noticed issue when first purchased. Dealership installed a new body control module. 2 yeas later issue has returned. I have applied dielectric gel to body control module pins and it appears to operate correctly.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Apr 032013

My brake lights are not working properly. The brake lights would be on when I didn't use my brakes and when I used the brakes the brake lights went off. Earlier today I was very close to having someone hit me in the back end because of this. I researched this problem out and discovered that many people are having this same problem. It needs to be fixed or someone is going to get seriously hurt.

- Warren, OH, USA

Mar 012011

The brake lights on my Pontiac G6 switched. When brake is applied, the brake lights are off. When the brake pedal is released, the brake lights are on.

- Holland, MI, USA

Jul 152011

G6 4-cyl

I bought this car used, and have since had nothing but electrical problems with it. I had the wiring housing for my headlight replaced and still have issues. My brake lights" where do I start" I have had the brake light switch replaced at least twice and they still do not work right. They work in reverse most of the time. The brake lights stay on while I'm driving, and when I stop they turn off, or they just go on and off at will.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Mar 012013

G6 6-cyl

Had car parked and noticed my brake lights were on. Pressed brake pedal and depressed it and the lights went off only to come back on. Affects my third brake light as well. Happens in the daytime as well as night. Sporadic. Was told my brake lights are on when in motion and turn off when stopped. Worried I might get in an accident or get pulled over.

- Niles, OH, USA

May 312012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on while pressing gas...when pressing brake they shut off. When this problem is occurring you have to press real hard to get out of park to drive. This is a serious issue which where the brake lights doesn't warn other drivers when stopping which could lead to a crash. There hasn't been any accidents reported yet what I have read but I do believe this issue needs to be resolved before you do have a accident. I would hate to see this not get recalled and kill someone over a simple fix.

- Hardyville, KY, USA

Feb 142012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the rear brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. The failure also occurred when driving. The contact personally replaced the brake light sensor on two separate occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Jan 142013

Brake lights stay on intermittently when the brake pedal is not depressed, while at the same time the cruise control does not operate. The brake lamp switch was replaced, which did not resolve the problem.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Dec 072012

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the brake lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the brake lamp switch was replaced. There was currently an open investigation under NHTSA action number RQ13001 (exterior lighting) for the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000. Updated 4/24/13 the consumer stated the cruise control, battery, and remote start all had failures. All were repaired except the remote start. Updated 06/03/2013

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 142012

I noticed that my brake lights will stay on when the brakes are not engaged and when I press down on the brake pedal the brake lights turn off. Once I depress the pedal the brake lights will go on again. This will happen on random occasions, sometimes the brake lights work fine and then sometimes they malfunction. I have also noticed that sometimes the cruise control will not engage while other times it will. There have been two occasions where the cruise control disengaged while traveling on the highway.

- Logansport, IN, USA

Aug 152011

G6 6-cyl

My Pontiac G6 has had an exterior lighting issue since August of 2012. Pontiac will not help me fix this. The brake lights do not work when you press the pedal and turn on without the pedal being pressed. My cruise control no longer works period. A GM technician looked at my car and could not find anything that he could do to fix it. When he used the tech 2 tool, he would try and turn one tail light on and the opposite would turn on instead. Pontiac will not even look at my car at any dealer for free. They want me to pay and maybe get reimbursed for it. I have many issues with my car but this is the worst. My panoramic sun roof leaks and makes a ton of noise while I drive. The sun shade fell off on it as well.

- Goodrich , MI, USA

Aug 242012

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control turns off mid driving sometimes, and at times doesn't work at all. Brake lights come on at random times and sometimes stay on while im driving. They turn off when I actually do push the brakes. The problem is constant and has happened many many times.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 012011

The cruise control kicks off for no apparent reason. This happens all the time. We wanted to let you know because we read that the NHTSA is considering a recall on all 05 to 09 models. The turn signals also do not turn off automatically and I've heard this is a fairly common problem on these cars.

- Edgewood, KY, USA

Nov 012010

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights fail to operate correctly causing them to go on without braking and are often not illuminated while braking. The brake light failure also causes the stability control to shut off.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jan 152013

G6 6-cyl

Low beam headlights went out at same time, not the bulbs or the anyone of the 3 fuses. Wiring harness is corroded. Unusual problem for a 2007 vehicle.

- Fraser, MI, USA

Oct 152012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 45 mph, the headlights stopped illuminating. The contact replaced the bulbs but the failure continued intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Dec 032012

My brake lights stay on while pedal in not pressed and turn off when pressed, I can not find a repair for the problem the pedal positioning sensor has been replaced and it has not fixed the problem this is a safety concern for me due to the fact that drivers behind me receive no warning of me braking.

- Fort Polk, LA, USA