NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 4) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 172014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6 conv. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the passenger's side air bag sensor needed to be re-calibrated or possibly replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V146000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 76,000 and the current mileage was 76,300.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Apr 032014

I had rear ended somebody on the freeway doing approx 35 mph. The damage to my car included folded up hood, punctured radiator, busted up bumper and both headlights. The airbags did not deploy. There looked to be sufficient damage and speed to cause them to pop. Not sure why they didn't. I had my seat belt on but am still very sore from the accident and it just happened today.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Mar 272014

G6 6-cyl

I was driving and noticed that my airbag sensor light was coming on. It occasionally comes on and it goes off. I'm having a issue with something underneath my car. I replaced tierod and got two front end alignments. Since purchasing this car in October 2013 I complained to dealership my concerns for my car not feeling safe. It seems to be something in steering or underneath vehicle. My thermostat gauge fluctuates from zero degrees to 220 degrees while driving. Water pump was replaced and it still occurs.

- North Little Rock , AR, USA

Aug 222013

G6 4-cyl

We have a clunking in the front end of this piece of crap while turning. We have replaced the strut & spring assembly and sway bars in the front, as well as the rear shocks. Now its getting hard to turn and appears to be the power steering or a steering shaft issue. Also the passenger side airbag light is now on after the fuse for the cruise control blew, replaced fuse and still remains on. I purchased this car for my 16 year old daughter and now feel its a death trap, there appears to be numerous problems with this car and no recalls. How would you feel if it was your child driving it, or yourself for that matter. You really need to get it together and do something!!!

- Portage , MI, USA

Jun 062013

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a strong gasoline fuel odor while parked or when being driven. As the contact drove approximately 45 mph, the vehicle caught on fire with the illumination of the check engine and air bag warning lights. The contact was able to exit the vehicle without injury. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed and was not inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 116,947.

- Swainsdroo, GA, USA

Apr 292013

G6 4-cyl

On April 29, 2013 my husband was involved in a collision with our 2007 Pontiac G6. He hit the rear end of a truck, head on, going 80 mph and the airbags did not deploy. Not one. Our vehicle was totaled out. The damage sustained to our vehicle and impact of the collision should have sent every airbag in the front of the car off.

- Morley, MI, USA

May 212013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the driver fell asleep while traveling 80. The driver and crashed into a metal culvert. The vehicle then rolled until crashing into a pole. The air bags failed to deploy. The seat belt also failed and became disengaged from around the driver. The driver was injured and sustained two fractured vertebrae, broken bones in the left leg, a head concussion and other head injuries, chest contusions, back contusions and several lacerations. The vehicle was destroyed and was not inspected for the cause of the air bag and seat belt failure. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the incident. The failure and current mileage was 118,000.

- Malvern , AR, USA

Apr 072013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact was driving in reverse approximately 3 mph when the passenger's side air bag warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis and they stated that the failure was contributed to the passenger sensing system. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 07V146000 (air bags) but the contact's VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and they offered to assist with sixty percent of the repair expense. The approximate failure mileage was 57,700. The VIN was unavailable.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Mar 142012

Air bag deployment:hit a dog at 55 mph, damage over $2,000, my seat belt locked up ripped my coat and bruised ribs, broke the seat belt. Air bags did not deploy. The smell of the air bags deploying filled the car. The air bag service engine light came on but GM dealer that did the auto body repair said air bags do not deploy at that speed when you hit an animal, and they were not going to service it. Instead they disabled the light.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Nov 132009

G6 6-cyl

I bought the car in November 2009. I first noticed it 2 weeks after I purchased. The cruise would always turn off randomly. I noticed then that the brake lights would randomly come on. Now they are pretty much on all the time even when the car is in park. They don't turn off unless car is off. The air bag light will come on and say its on when there is no one in the passenger seat. And sometimes when a passenger is in the seat it will be off. Also with this the seatbelt alarm will ding and ding until I buckle in my invisible person. It isn't all the time but it worries me because having a faulty air bag is not cool. I've contacted GM because I saw that these things were on recall but they told me that my VIN isn't recalled even though its the exact same issue. Is there any way you can help?

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 232011

G6 4-cyl

Sometimes while driving the "service airbag" message will appear and then the airbag light comes on. I have only notice it a couple of times but my husband has notice it more. Can this please get recalled because having airbag issues is a major problem.

- Two Rivers, WI, USA

Aug 012011

G6 6-cyl

A service airbag message and the airbag light comes on intermittently. Sometimes it stays on for 3-7 days and sometimes it doesn't turn on for over 30 days. I took the vehicle to a Pontiac/GM dealer and the light was not on at the time and they could not test it. I took it back to the same dealer about 6-9 months later and they stated that the sensor below the front-passenger seat needed to be replaced. According to them, the sensor and seat cushion comes as a one unit and both needed replacement. The estimated cost of parts and labor was about $1500. After searching online for possible solutions, I realized that there are many complaints from other owners having the same issue. I think that GM should consider recalling all vehicles with this issue, especially when it starts happening at a relatively early stage or at low mileage.

- Mililani, HI, USA

Feb 072013

G6 4-cyl

Air bag requires service light appears. Passenger "airbag off" light is illuminated when a passenger is in the seat. This happens intermittently.

- Manistee, MI, USA

Dec 282012

Driving during snowy conditions, I began to lose control and spin out. I attempted to correct my steering, then my car fish tailed. I slid into the ditch, never used my brakes. I took out a sign with the drivers side and hit about 3-4 trees with the front end. My airbags never deployed. Thank goodness no one was injured, but the amount of damage done and how many things I hit, shocks me as to why my airbag never deployed.

- St Germain, WI, USA

Dec 052012

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6. I have been having issues with my brake lights coming on while I am accelerating and the brake lights go off when I brake putting me at higher risk for an accident. I have also experienced issues with having a hard time shifting out of park as well as my cruise control cuts off randomly for no reason and lastly I am also have a check airbag light that will not go off.

- Richton Park, IL, USA

Oct 172011

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated whenever the passenger side seat was occupied the passenger air bag light failed to illuminate indicating that it was in use. The dealer was made aware of the failure who stated that there was no recalls related to the failure and that in order to determine what exactly was causing the problem they would need to run a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was notified of the failure which did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Easton, PA, USA

Aug 022011

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the air bag and seat belt warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 89,000 and the current mileage was 96,000.

- St Louis , MO, USA

Apr 142012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The front seat passenger suffered from two fractured vertebraes. The vehicle was completely destroyed and towed to a savage facility. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Wildwood, NJ, USA

Jan 252012

G6 6-cyl

Air bag deployment. While traveling at about 58 mph, I hit a dog at the center point of my front bumper. My seat belt snaped holding me from moving forward. The impact was so great it broke the seat belt, and ripped my coat, brusing my chest. I pulled to the side of the road, there was an oder so strong I thought something was hot. I realized it was airbag talac.. the light on my dash said the air bags were now disabled. The inboard dash screen said to service airbag soon. The GM dealers body shop gave me an estimate of $2,000., but that my air bags are ok and did not include them on the quote. I find this strange since my dash said to service soon. My thought is that the air bag tried to deploy exspelling a talc aroma, and setting off the dash board warning lights, but malfunctioned and remain in my steering wheel. The dealership told me my car was unsafe to drive since the seat belt is broken. I hope to find more next wenesday the 8th of Feb when they are going to repair the vehical.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Dec 182011

The "service air bag" warning message keeps popping up on the dashboard information center this started very intermittently and has gradually become worse. When the car is first started the message appears and it stays on until the car is shut off and restarted. There is no rhyme or reason as to why the light comes on. I could happen two trips in a row or once every few weeks.

- West Haven, CT, USA