NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 11 of 19) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 19)

Feb 272012

G6 4-cyl

Small stream of white smoke began to emit from the steering column, suddenly the chime went on and the power steering failed. Drove vehicle to dealership who advised me the issue is a common electrical failure in G6 models and that several other years have been recalled for the same issue, but not 2007. Dealer advised me to hold on to the receipt for reimbursement in the event that GM does recall the 2007 model. After waiting nearly two years, I decided to issue a letter to GM requesting reimbursement. On 2/6/14 I was contacted by GM customer service representatives who explained a recall was not in place and therefore they would not reimburse. I was further advised by GM representative ┐┐joseph┐Ł that GM is "not a charity" and that I would just have to "deal with it." In a final effort to resolve the issue I requested a voucher toward a new GM purchase instead of reimbursement as sign of good-faith that GM would stand behind their products; this request was also denied. GM representatives also refused to issue me a written explanation of denial. I am able to provide a copy of the service invoice and proof of ownership at the time of the incident.

- Belding, MI, USA

Jan 152014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when driving various speeds, the power steering would sporadically fail as the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 146,000 and the current mileage was 148,300.

- Elizabeth Town, PA, USA

Feb 122014

Driver can turn on car and power steering light is flashing on display screen. Wheel is almost impossible to turn when this happens. If car is turned off and restarted it sometimes resets but not always. Has happened when driving with my children in car. Power steering problems noted on other G6 models and years with recalls and have major concerns for safety of myself and others on roadways. Would this problem warrant a recall on this electric power steering?

- Gillespie, IL, USA

Dec 022013

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 2 mph in reverse from a parking space, the power steering assist malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to seize. The power steering sensor light was illuminated and an audible chime sounded after the defect occurred. The contact turned off and restarted the engine, and the defect was corrected temporarily but sporadically recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Swan Quarter, NC, USA

Feb 022014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that he had to push the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was able to be driven to the dealer after it was shut down and restarted. The mechanic diagnosed that the steering column failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 145,521.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Jan 272014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized while and vibrated. The power steering warning light illuminated as the failure occurred. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 85,197.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 222014

G6 4-cyl

Got in my car, started it, I no longer had power steering. This actually started happening intermittently at around 50000 miles. I have heard of it going out on people while driving down the highway. Someone will get killed in an accident if this happens.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jul 052013

G6 6-cyl Diesel

- Harrison, NJ, USA

Jan 032014

G6 4-cyl

When I first purchased my 2007 Pontiac G6 I had to have the steering shaft replaced, now just after 6 months my power steering light came on and made it difficult for me to turn. When I stop at the red light while waiting for the light to change my steering wheel moves from left to right on its on and once I press the gas to move forward it gets difficult. I'm having such a hard time trying to drive, I really hate to drive just knowing the problem I have and at any moment the steering wheel will eventually give out. I went to the dealership was told the cost for repairs would cost at least $680 to get the problem fixed. The repairman stated he knows a lot of people that continue to drive with this problem but is that really helping me when I know I could have an accident at anytime, at this point I don't really know what to do. Please help I really love my G6 but there really needs to be something done about the steering problem. The care was purchased at sunrise Pontiac here in memphis on covington pike.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 112013

G6 4-cyl

My power steering signal comes on across the radio dash and then the steering wheel locks up, so then I have to turn the vehicle off and restart it. So I was told that it was an electrical issue, and now I am wondering if there has been a recall on this vehicle regarding this issue?

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Dec 202013

Power steering gives out randomly. Could be when parking could be when driving. This issue has been recalled on almost every year except this one even though this issue is prevalent amongst all G6 owners.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jan 072014

G6 4-cyl

I make a left turn when the power steering make a sound and making the car difficult to steer I went to a car company and they told me there is no recall on Pontiac G6 2007 and paid $125 for check.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 052014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the driver was traveling approximately 20 mph and making a left turn when the power steering suddenly malfunctioned, making the vehicle difficult to steer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Lincoln, NC, USA

Dec 102013

I was on my way to work. Started out fine. Drove for 5 minutes. Turned right on red, thank god there were no cars, as soon as I accelerated going 10 miles my steering wheel locked up, the power steering light went on, just about impossible to continue the turn. Almost went into the median. It took every bit of strength I had to turn the wheel. I have been researching this & am seeing this is a serious problem with many G6 owners. I am deeply concerned about this defect because I have my grandkids in the car with me often. This is serious enough for a recall. This defect is going to cause fatalities.there is no warning before it happens. I am so angry that they are putting peoples lives in danger. I do not feel safe in my car anymore. I also travel twice a week on the expressway & the exit I use curves with a 35 foot drop and no barricade, guess what happens when I'm coming off the expressway & can't turn the wheel!

- Melrose Park, IL, USA

Nov 252013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving my car on my way to work when the power steering message flashed on my radio. I then lost all power steering in my car. I couldn't steer the vehicle even when force was exerted. I ended up having to replace the power steering control module and the steering column. ($1,249) however, it is still hard to steer and I am not satisfied at all with the outcome. This vehicle is dangerous!

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Nov 302013

I was driving and my steering wheel started to jerk. I reached my destination and when I got back into my car, the display read 'power steering.' I attempted to turn the wheel and could not without extreme difficulty. I had to have my girlfriend get herself and our new born baby ready at 2am to come pick me up from work due to this. I also experienced the wheel jerking to one side while I was driving before it went completely out and it caused me to cross the double yellow line. This needs to be considered good enough for a recall since that obviously could have taken lives.

- Russellville , IN, USA

Sep 022013

G6 4-cyl

Electric power steering issue. While driving and in a turn, the steering wheel jerked and then wouldn't turn any more - stuck in a turn in an intersection. Had to turn car off and restart to clear the issue. Continued doing this, so took it to a trusted independent repair shop. Diagnosis was electric power steering assist motor failure. They replaced the power steering motor control module at a cost of $758.25. Within a month, the radio display showed "power steering" fault. Traded the G6 for a Subaru forester. Disclosed the power steering issue to the dealership. The car is dangerous!

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Oct 162013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving the car, when the power steering light indicated on the radio display, once the warning went away the steering became very shaky and jerky and has been this way ever since. I know the G6 has recalls for power steering failures but it does not cover 2007 model year.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Aug 222013

G6 4-cyl

We have a clunking in the front end of this piece of crap while turning. We have replaced the strut & spring assembly and sway bars in the front, as well as the rear shocks. Now its getting hard to turn and appears to be the power steering or a steering shaft issue. Also the passenger side airbag light is now on after the fuse for the cruise control blew, replaced fuse and still remains on. I purchased this car for my 16 year old daughter and now feel its a death trap, there appears to be numerous problems with this car and no recalls. How would you feel if it was your child driving it, or yourself for that matter. You really need to get it together and do something!!!

- Portage , MI, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering assist failed as the steering wheel shifted from side to side without manual force. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the power steering assist motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Mccomb, MI, USA