NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 12 of 19) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 19)

Sep 192013

G6 4-cyl

Steering makes noise when turning. Very difficult to maneuver. Pulls to left and difficult to regain control at higher speeds. No warning lights. Extremely hard to turn.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Sep 192013

Loud constant clunking noise two weeks prior to incident pulling out of my garage and vehicle would not turn left or right no matter what, after turning ignition off and on numerous times I finally was able to get vehicle back in garage after doing some research on these cars they are known for having power steering and suspension problems also these vehicles have been in numerous auto crashes because of this! this vehicle also only has 70,000 miles on it there is no recall on this vehicle whatsoever, why is that?because obviously someone at GM dropped the ball!!! I am in the military and I am by no means financially able to continue to dump monies on a vehicle that GM should repair at no costs that has safety issues!!!

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Feb 082013

G6 6-cyl

My brakes lights are staying on while the brake pedal is not pressed and going off when it is. I've replaced the brake switch still not working. The cruise control will not work. When you press the brake pedal the wheel shakes a little bit and the car likes to pull to one side. After reading a few of these reviews and noticing that everyone is having the same issues, somethings needs to be done about this it is not safe for my family to be driving this car the way it is. Im afraid that nothing is going to be done in time until it is to late for someone.

- Dresden, OH, USA

Jan 012013

When the car is at a speed of approximately 40mph and the brakes are pressed the steering wheel shakes. The steering wheel is also making a clicking noise when it's turned from left to right. Also I noticed that the brake lights are staying on when I'm driving the car and then shuts off after the brakes are applied (for example at a traffic light) the brake lights are then back on again after driving off. In addition I have contacted the service part of GM regarding the remote start which was installed before I bought the car. The remote start has had problems since purchase and I have gone back numerous times for them to fix it, to no avail. The car starts, then shuts off. After the key is applied to start the car, which it does, when the brakes are applied there is a grinding noise to put the car into gear. If the car is started without the remote start the grinding noise is not there when the car is put into gear.

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Jul 142013

G6 6-cyl

Steering making a clunk noise when turning the steering wheel around bends.

- Pgh, PA, USA

Dec 122012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering wheel became hard to turn. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the steering pump however the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer advised that the vehicle was not included in the manufacturer's steering wheel recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 10,000. The approximate current mileage was 14,000.

- Lake Elsenor , CA, USA

Aug 092013

I am 16 yrs old and I was driving my car through chimed a noise and showed power steering on dash! steering wheel locked up. Scared me I couldn't do anything, but slam on the brakes.!

- Girard, KS, USA

Jan 202013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering assist would sporadically fail while driving at various speeds. The failure would make it extremely difficult to maneuver the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering power motor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 67,000 and the current mileage was 71,000. Updated 09/18/13 the consumer has since sold the vehicle. Updated 09/19/13

- Raymond, IA, USA

Jul 262013

G6 4-cyl

While driving at an estimated 45 mph the steering wheel preceded to shake violently from left to right and we immediately pulled to side of road to inspect the front wheels to make sure there was nothing wrong. Tried to take off and drive again and the vehicle continued to shake violently therefore pulled over again and called a tow truck. Paid $100 to have it towed. Took it to the dealership we purchased it from and they proceeded to tell us that there were service bulletins on this matter with the car. They proceeded to tell us that our car was not covered because it had the wrong VIN number under warranty. Upon further investigation said that basically it was going to be our problem and we would have to pay for it to get fixed even though there are service bulletins issued for the same problem. I would like to know why they charged me $40 to check it out, plus quoted us a price of over $800 to fix the problem and plus the towing problem that GM has produced dangerous situations with there product and will not stand behind there product. This is definitely something that needs to be checked on considering the number of complaints that have been lodged about the same thing happening to other people while driving. I would like a response as to how they are able to get away with this problem and will fix some cars with the problem and not other ones. Thank you.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jul 182013

G6 4-cyl

Our elec power steering is going. In checking the internet I note that this is a common problem. I note in Canada where cars are manufactured differently than here in the usa they have recalled the pont G6 for this exact problem. I would suggest you look at there data and investigate the same. Canada's notice is below: A grand total of 67,414 sedans are being recalled by GM including the Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu maxx (2005, 2006, 2008), Pontiac G6 (2005, 2006, 2008), and Saturn aura (2008). The electric power steering may experience a sudden loss of steering assist that could occur at any time while driving. A message would be displayed on the driver information centre and a chime would sound to inform the driver. Steering control can be maintained, as the vehicle will revert to a manual steering mode, but requires greater driver effort at low speeds. This increases the risk of a collision. Owners are advised to take their vehicle to a GM dealer to receive a special extended warranty coverage for a period of 10 years/240,000 km from the date the vehicle was originally put in service. For 2005 and 2006 models, dealers will replace the steering column. For 2008 models, they will replace the power steering motor control module.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Jan 012013

G6 4-cyl

When making turns there is a loud pop sound coming from the steering column. Also I am having issues with my brake lights coming on while the brake is not compressed and going off while the brake is compressed. It is a huge safety issue. I have almost been rear-ended multiple times due to the fact that the driver behind me does not know I am slowing down.

- Winchester , VA, USA

Nov 032008

G6 4-cyl

At low speeds, driving around town, we hear a popping sound, that appears to be coming from the steering column.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jun 062013

First it begin with a clunking sound as I turn my car to the right. Then it begin with my signal light being defected to where it doesn't automatically switch off with turning, and then now it pops up on the display the word power steering, where then the wheel locks up at any given time and speed making it extremely difficultly to manage driving, turning, and switching lanes.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 232013

G6 4-cyl

Steering wheel started jerking. Then steering wheel acted as if it would lock up while driving. Vehicle continues this behavior, also steering will jerk left then will jerk right. At one point in the last month, the power steering light came on briefly, but then went out. Vehicle continues to perform poorly with steering. Very disturbing to try to drive this vehicle at highway speed and now tend to stay off the highway with it altogether. 2006 and 2008 models have already been recalled due to this defect.

- Haysville, KS, USA

May 012013

I was turning off a highway and my power steering went out again almost turned into car in next lane trying to turn. Car constantly has power steering going out. Also popping turning into parking space or drive way. This is dangerous and I can't afford to buy a different car. Is GM going to fix this issue.

- Brookland , AR, USA

Apr 302013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving my 07 Pontiac G6 into walmart parking lot. I went to pull into a parking space and my powering steering locked up. This has happened several times on and off for the past few months. Also, starting in Feb. My wipers have gone out on me two different times. The first time was in a snow storm and this last time in a bad rain storm. Very concerned about a recall that needs to be done on Pontiac G6 2007.

- Rochelle, IL, USA

May 172012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering with the illumination of the power steering warning indicator. In addition, the contact stated that there was difficulty in turning the steering wheel, which required force in order to continue driving. The failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the steering column would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Canton, OH, USA

Mar 252013

G6 4-cyl

When I turned on the car a notification came up on the radio display saying "power steering" and a sound went off as well. The power steering stopped working. I turned the car off, waiting a few seconds, and restarted and the message went away. Now when stopping the steering wheel will move on its own pulling to the left. The problem has been getting more and more frequent since it started.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Mar 062013

G6 6-cyl

Vehicle has started having popping noises in steering during low speed turns left and right. You can feel and hear the popping sounds as you turn. Popping noise seems to be getting louder.

- Cameron Park, CA, USA

Oct 222008

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the power steering failed which made it impossible for the contact to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was repaired three times. The contact stated the vehicle was not repaired again after the most recent failure occurred. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA