NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 5) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 012016

While driving my brake lights come on when I am 'driving' and my brake lights go off when I am braking. I took my car to the dealership for regular maintenance, and asked them about this problem. They said it was a recall and they fixed it. Well ian still driving an unsafe car. And now I am being told I will have to pay for it. This doesn't seem right. It was clearly a recall that was not fixed.

- Deptford, NJ, USA

Jun 082016

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights failed to illuminate. However, when the brake pedal was not depressed, the brake lights and SRS air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 108,000.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Aug 222016

The brake sensor goes out causing the brake lights to not work. A recall says that the BCM causes fluctuations to the brake sensor, in turn causes the lights not to work. When I had the recal done for the BCM, the brake sensor also needed work. The result is 200 bucks worth of work done that wasn't recall covered. The recal even states that the brake sensor is affected because of the BCM problem. I believe that the brake sensor needs to be covered in this issue. Also include the traction control shutting off, that was another 200 spent for that. Take a good guess what was the result of that issue. Spoiler alert it was the BCM!!

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Jul 122016

I am so aggravated with the Pontiac company, I filed a recent complaint over the phone. The body control modular needs to be repaired/replaced but because my particular car was not included in the 2014 recall they are refusing to do anything about it. The dealer I had to take the car to is trying to blame it on us because the car has after market items on the car which we did not addto the car, when we bought the car from Toyota on nicholasville superstore that stuff was added already by someone else, and if that was the problem why is the brake lights on//off problem just now showing up since it was a year this past may that we have owned the car. I think that the Pontiac company just doesn't want to help fix the problem and we are stuck with a car that has brake light issues that could cause serious damamgung problems in the future and I have no way to pay for it to be fixed.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Jul 072016

I purchased the car with about 114000 miles on it. The airbag light was on but no indication as to why it is on. It has never been in an accident according to reports. I had service complete the 2 outstanding recalls on the car. I also replaced the front brakes only to take it back a week later and replace the driver side caliper also. The other day while driving home, I experienced vibrating in my brakes when braking. At that time no ABS light came on or tc control lights, however when hubby was getting ready to test drive it, the ABS light and both tc lights came on and have stayed on. Brakes are working fine at the moment, I took it to a service center and checked for additional recalls (because I read about one on this issue somewhere the other day when searching) but they assured me there are no recalls for such an issue with my VIN. The car currently only has 123,000 miles on it. My next step I guess is to take it to advance auto for a scan and see if anything shows up :( I do a lot of travelling so I need a dependable/reliable/safe vehicle. I love the car but I don't love all the brake issues and not knowing why the airbag light is on. I have put nearly $1000 into my car in just a matter of months due to breaks and exhaust system.

- Radcliff, IN, USA

Jul 062016

Tail light recall repair completed in 2013 - car has been back to dealer numerous times for same issue. Tail lights come on when driving an go out when you hit the brake pedal. I was almost rear ended by a semi last night as the brake lamps were not operating correctly. Dealer closed out the case as repaired - GM recall line will do nothing and want me to pay $120 an hour to have the car put onto diagnostic machine - I refuse to pay out of pocket for anymore expenses - I've paid over $500 already before recall was extended to 2008 models. I work at a GM powertrain plant, this type of repair is unacceptable to my standards of what management tells us quality is to GM. Please investigate further their fix was a jump harness and re-greasing of the BCM - that is not the fix the real issue is the BCM's are bad and need to be replaced my GM reference id for this issue is 8-2214129861. I do not feel safe driving this car at night with no working brake lights. Issue happens while idling, city driving, and highway driving. Traction control and electronic stability control lights come on along with scrolling on car screen to service traction service ESC. Cruise control disengages and all traction stability of the car is turned off.. pressure in the brake pedal also goes.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jun 012016

When I tried starting my car it wouldn't do anything so I had to put it in drive and then it started up and that happened to me three times so far it's like it want start unless I turn the ignition and put it in neutral for a drive and I don't think it should be doing that and with my brakes I got new brakes on my car for front and back and it's like I never put brakes on because it's still make noise like I need brakes and that's crazy and I don't think that's good and the car seems like it be moving when it's in park.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Mar 052016

I notice that on some of the 2008 pont. G6 break lights don't come on some times. The other day I was driving and notice cars almost hit my car but I checked my break lights and they worked.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Oct 082015

Brake lights are either always on, causing traction control to fail, or they are on when the brakes are not applied and off when braking. This also causes cruise control to not work. Anyone driving behind me can not tell when I am braking. Some 2008 G6 models were recalled but for some reason my 2008 G6 has this problem and was not recalled.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 172015

I took my Pontiac G6 into freeman Buick GMC in grapevine tx two weeks ago and they performed the maintenance required for the existing power steering failure recall. I have been driving the car for a week now. Yesterday as I was trying to make a right turn on a city street in grapevine and the power steering was suddenly lost (the console immediately showed the words "power steering" on the console and the beeper sounded). I almost wrecked the car. Just thought I would let you know that even though they performed the recall maintenance I still experienced loss of the power steering. I have called freeman and asked them to schedule a service visit for my car to see what needs to be done now.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Dec 142015

When driving in wet weather days and the car is driven over puddles of water on the road the steering wheel locks and can not continue unless I turn the key off and then on. Vehicle is in motion and in city street driving. Also, when applying the brakes, the car makes an unusual sound and it comes from the ABS module located in the engine compartment.

- Castroville, TX, USA

Sep 302015

During routine oil change visit after long trip, was notified of extensive wear & damage to 3 of 4 tires. One had strip of rubber wrap around the axel, bust the boot & brakes & bent the axel. Another had @ 5X4 inch piece of rubber missing, steel belts were shining. Third tire had areas of separation all around the tire, more steel belts visible. Luckily they held pressure & didn't blow out. Have always kept them rotated & balanced. It'd been 6 months since they'd been rotated/balanced -- and only 6000 miles. One service guy mentioned "outer edge wear" on them, but the service manager, after looking at the remaining warranty/miles left, said that the tires were supposed to wear like they were. The tires were 4 yrs old & had @ 60,000mi. On them.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Oct 072015

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 35 mph, the brake lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the body control module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Jul 152015

Brake lights stay on even when brake pedal not pressed, yet many times when pedal is pressed brake lights do not go on. Scary because I worry about rear end collision. This happens on city street or highway.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Sep 012015

My break lamps are illuminating when the breaks are not being applied. I have already taken my vehicle in for the BCM recall for this issue, but it is still occurring. Today, 9/14/15 I also started receiving the message that my traction control has been turned off and needs serviced.

- Canton, OH, USA

Aug 292015

Traveling at highway speed the brake lamps illuminated with out the brake pedal being pushed, when brake pedal applied the brake lights turned off. Cruise control would not work push the brake pedal cruise would work again until the brake lights re illuminated without the brake pedal engaged.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Oct 142014

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the traction control and brake warning lights were illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the parts needed were not available for the repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable.

- Dallas , TX, USA

Sep 092014

G6 6-cyl

Replaced blown passenger headlight (lowbeam), then noticed that the wiring to the light was melted with a burning smell. Also several error codes for airbag, engine, tire pressure monitor illuminate on dash. Do not buy this vehicle.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Sep 082014

G6 6-cyl

Brakes have a warped feel. Brakes have pedal fade, once the warped feeling shows brakes grab and release as the warped area goes around. Have replaced brakes approximately every 10,000 to 15,000 miles since the first repair at 71,000 miles. Car now has 151,000 miles on it. It is time for it's sixth set of brakes (both rotors and pads). I have seen this to be a large trend among other G6 owners.

- Laingsburg, MI, USA

Jul 012014

I have received (2) recall notices. 1 recall 13036 for BCM and bas system for brakes and 1 other recall 14152 for transmission shift cable. First came at the beginning of July/2014 and the other the middle of July/2014. Both stated that parts are not available and it has been over 60 days since I received the notices but the recalls were issued May 16, 2014.

- White Oak, PA, USA