NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 5 of 9) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Apr 012014

G6 4-cyl

Car accelerates without pushing on the gas, or when I am breaking car speeds up. A chime sounds in the car and I can't find anywhere in the manual about sounds other than the typical seatbelt to low fuel. Very scary!

- Indpls, IN, USA

May 012012

Three of the tire sensors do not match up with the correct tire. For example, the sensor for the left rear is actually reading the tire pressure of the tire in the front right. Therefore, I am unable to tell which tire needs air or has too much air without taking it to an air pump with a pressure sensor. In the past, I have had to go into the shop because I could not find an air pump with a pressure sensor. The forth sensor is not reading any tire at all. It is showing as though there is not a tire on my car, which there clearly is. As far as I can recall, this happened completely at random.

- Vernon Center, NY, USA

Mar 312014

G6 4-cyl

On 3-31-14 I had a wreck and the air bags wasn't hook up and I almost could have died had I not known that those air bags wasn't hook up and also their was a problem with the key ignition to were my keys didn't want to come out and that happen around in late February of 2014.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 252013

On the way back home from family vacation we stopped on the interstate for a break when I came outside from the facilities there was smoke billowing from under the hood I opened it to find flames after putting the flames out and inspecting the damage I realized my headlight and wiring had melted from the flames no idea why it happened but have had to replace the lightbulbs in both headlights more that I should of since buying the car.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Apr 052013

The low beam headlamps on this car keeps going out. The harness connectors are melted and replaced numerous times. We have received numerous tickets for a headlight out. The rear doors will not lock with the power locks.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jan 052014

On my 2008 Pontiac G6 the drivers side low beam headlamp bulb socket melted causing the need for the whole headlight assembly to be replaced. The same thing happened on the passenger side at around 37,000 miles. The car lighting is oem. No after market bulbs or headlights. Not sure what is causing this or if it could lead to a more catastrophic electrical failure or fire.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 122013

G6 6-cyl

One of my headlights had burnt out so I changed it. A month later, the same headlight burnt out again. I noticed that it had gotten so hot it melted the plastic that held the bulb. I took it to a Pontiac dealership to see if there was a recall for this. I was told no, but was told that they have had a lot of people bringing their cars in for this problem. I noticed today, one of the break light bulbs that is located in the trunk lid was blown. It has done the same thing as the headlight, it has gotten so hot it has melted the plastic that holds the bulb. I think this is a manufacturing problem that needs to be investigated because the bulbs should not be getting so hot that they are melting plastic. I am afraid my car may catch a fire if something is not done about this.

- Longs, SC, USA

Jun 122012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the air bag warning lamp illuminated and the passenger air bag warning light would stay off intermittently whenever the passenger seat was occupied. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. In addition, the rear drivers door lock and tire pressure sensor stopped working. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Evansville, WI, USA

Nov 222013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving my 2008 Pontiac G6 and was pulled over by the police. The officer issued 3 service repair orders all associated with my low beam headlights not working. A month prior to this, in October 2013, the low beams stopped working. I was given a warning at that time so I went to a mechanic. They told me that my bulbs needed to be replaced. I purchased the bulbs for 20 dollars and paid 88 dollars for the service. About two weeks after that, I'd say mid-October, a friend told me my lights weren't on and sure enough they were not. So I avoided night driving until I could get them checked out for the second time. But then I noticed that some days the low beams were on and some days they were not so I figured it might be a short circuit or something having to do with fuses. But on that night in November, I absolutely had to pick my teenaged son up from the metro station one night so I used my high beams. I had no choice. The police officer pulled me over because of the glare the high beams caused and issued the 3 repair orders. I took my car to autozone where they did a diagnostics check on my vehicle. I received 4 printouts explaining that my problem was all related to the electrical system. I haven't had the repairs done yet because they will cost a few hundred dollars and I cannot afford it with a newborn baby and my resulting reduced work schedule. The lowest estimate I received was for 650. Furthermore, the dealer wants to perform their own diagnostics check for another 130 dollars. So because I haven't had the money to get the electrical problem fixed my vehicle registration is about to be suspended. Not only will I not be able to drive because the state will confiscate my tags, I won't be able to renew my tags or registration in the near future. I see that this is not a singular issue and this car definitely needs to be recalled.

- Forestville, MD, USA

Mar 042013

G6 4-cyl

This is a 4-door vehicle designed with only one exterior keyed door lock at the drivers door, has electric door actuators that are operated individually at each door with a master control at the drivers door for "all doors unlocked or locked" + manual lock knobs on each door. Both rear doors are locking/unlocking erratically from the driver seat master control. Sometimes the passenger door won't unlock or lock and other times the drivers side door won't work. The result is you can't unlock the back seat door(s) and would need to roll down the window for the locked door from the drivers seat master window control and reach in from the exterior to unlock/lock the interior door lock knob manually from the outside or crawl into the back seat to operate the lock knob manually. If the window control goes bad the only option would be crawling into the back seat to manually operate lock knob. Doesn't sound that bad until you consider drivers new to this problem, an elderly, invalid or baby in the back seat/car seat can't be accessed without a delays. Since the back doors don't lock consistently you have to go to each door if it doesn't lock and lock it manually at the lock knob which means it probably won't unlock later without using the manual knob through the window from the exterior or crawling into the back seat, I'm not a safety expert but it seems like its always been a good practice to shut and then lock all the doors when driving, doesn't that add a safety function to the lock mechanism? the mechanism isn't reliable on this vehicle, doesn't function as designed or have a backup keyed lock at each door for emergencies. I also found an '08 Chevy equinox owner that has the same problem. On the internet the problem seems to be a common problem with even a highly technical U-tube video on how to make the repair. And no end to suppliers of the door lock actuator parts.

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

Mar 282014

The steering makes a constant popping noise when accelerating or turning the wheel. Radio buttons, especially on the steering wheel do not work. Transmission clutch pressure control solenoid malfunction. Transmission control module failure. Stuck in 2nd gear, reverse does not work, wont rev past 4000rpm. Started as a jerky acceleration, then warning lights came on the next day, limp mode engaged, transmission rebuild needed on a car with less than 60K miles!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 012010

G6 4-cyl

The first time it happened, I was driving on the turnpike at 65mph with the cruise control on. I didn't realize it had disengaged until all the cars started passing me and the cars behind me were coming up fast on my rear. I got back up to speed but the cruise would not engage. Drove 300 miles without cruise. Happens all the time now. I have 74000 miles on the car now. I took it to the dealer at the time and they new of the problem but had no fix.

- Newport News , VA, USA

Mar 202014

G6 4-cyl

When the vehicle is braking the rear brake lights are not engaging. When the vehicle is accelerating the brake lights are engaged. Police officer gave us 24 hours to fix the problem or we will be issued a citation for driving a hazardous vehicle. Police officer said that this issue could cause serious bodily harm.

- Depew, NY, USA

Nov 012012

I have had several issues with the exterior lighting of my vehicle. First the headlights on the drivers side went out and I replaced the bulb, then passenger side has went out and the bulb has been replaced. I took my vehicle to our local autozone and at first we thought the light bulb needed replaced but after wiggling around the wires it started working..this has happened to me on more than one occasion. As of this year I've changed both headlights twice and the exterior brake light and as of today I have another headlight that has blown..I got online and notices several complaints from different people on the Pontiac G6 that are having the same issue as me and there is no correction for this fixed except having the whole lighting assembly changed with the wiring which is a 700 or more dollar fix. Now my highbeams are doing the samething. I've contacted GM about this issue and have not received a response as of yet. This is very disturbing for me because I have been stopped by the police before and given tickets because of this and this is starting to become a financial burden for me.

- Parma, OH, USA

Jul 012013

I have had to replace my headlights 3 times in the last 6 months. Now they are blown again and I have been told it is an electrical problem - and of course not covered under any warranty. I feel this is a safety issue - bad wiring could lead to a fire.

- Mascoutah, IL, USA

Nov 172013

G6 6-cyl

Beginning on Nov 17, 2013 and up until present, the driver's side headlight of my 2008 Pontiac G6 continues to burn out. The first incident caused me to get a traffic ticket for driving an unsafe vehicle. The ticket is the way I initially discovered the problem. The very next morning after receiving the ticket, I immediately changed the headlight. To my dismay, the headlight went out again about 2 weeks after it was first replaced. I then had to have the headlight replaced again. On today's date, December 28th, while driving I smelled a very strong odor of something burning. I immediately pulled over to check the car and found that the driver's side headlight was blackened. I removed the headlight and observed that the wiring harness connector was completed burned with smoke coming out of it. Now I am fearful to drive my car with the headlights on. Upon arriving home, I went on the internet to learn what the cause may be and discovered many other people complaining of the same problem with the Pontiac G6. To repair the electrical system of the vehicle is costly. Clearly, this is a dangerous manufacturer's defeat. Sadly, without a recall, this problem has and will result in accidents and possibly unnecessary fatalities.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 272011

G6 4-cyl

Well it seems the problem that was supposed to be fixed back in Sept. 27, 2011 with my 2008 G6 is back (11/4/2013) see correspondence below. I paid $113.14 at pete baur and the problem is back at 75,000 mile (only 20K miles later). The car is a hazard to drive. The brake lights stay on until the brake petal is pushed. Then they turn off. What a messed up way for a safety system like brake lights to fail. The cruise control doesn't work anymore. I also had to remove the third brake light fuse because the third brake light would stay on all the time and the the car would be electrically dead when I would go to start it. The battery was not drained at all. It would just be dead until I gave it a good jump. And another thing the key fobs are totally messed up. They barley work anymore. What a piece of junk this car is. Oh, also the sevice traction control come on randomly. I can't beleive no one has been injured yet. If I could afford to buy another car I would. I don't let anyone else drive this in my family. GM - never never never never again no matter what they are selling.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Oct 012013

G6 4-cyl

I have submitted two previous complaints, one for brake lights functioning improperly and one for my rear-driver's side door lock, door ajar message and dome light issues. A new issue has recently surfaced. The "service traction control" message now appears intermittently, yet there seems to be no actual issue. This message, along with "door ajar", appear off and on at random.

- Bath, MI, USA

Oct 012013

2008 G6 sedan. Rear driver side power lock inoperable. The lock must be manually locked and unlocked by the 2nd row passenger. This is very unsafe with a small child or disabled person in the back seat whom cannot unlock the door in case of an emergency. The lock is positioned too far rearward for front seat passengers to unlock without climbing into the back seat. More than anything, the position of the lock is what makes the failure mode so potentially unsafe.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Sep 012013

G6 4-cyl

I just bought this 2008 Pontiac G6 4cyl automatic for my daughter. Everything works fine except - both rear doors will not lock or unlock electrically and nothing works from a key fob and the dealer could not program it. The rear doors must be manually locked, or unlocked. Also, cannot lock or unlock rear doors from the front door switch. Both front doors do lock and unlock properly by the door switch and the park positions, but not the rear doors. The remote keyless entry will not operate anything and the dealer stated I need a new body control module to program the key fobs. The car has the remote keyless entry AP8 code and the dealer said a remote should work after programming, but they could not do it. I paid dealers $200 for scans only to find out the function is locked, they say. And now dealer wants another $550 for a new BCM and approx. $100 for a new remote key fob, and maybe about $300 or so more for both rear door lock latches replaced. I declined. Due to numerous complaints about this problem, it seems to me this should be a safety issue and a recall or a fix at no charge by GM.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA