NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 8 of 9) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

May 012012

G6 4-cyl

Electric door lock fails to fully lock/unlock rear drivers side door, requires manual operation. This is a safety issue for prevention of intruders after entry into the vehicle.

- Royse City, TX, USA

Apr 262012

While driving 2008 Pontiac G6 passenger headlights went dim/out. This has happened multiple days and the wiring to the connectors seem to be loose/corroded.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Apr 132012

My daughter bought a 2008 Pontiac G6 in 2010. In June of 2011, the left headlight went out while she was driving at night. She took it in for repair and they found that the connector had melted and needed to be replaced. In April 2012, the right headlight quit working. Again it was a case of the connector melting. This appears to be a case of faulty parts and presents a serious safety issue when the lights suddenly quit at night.

- Albion, IL, USA

Jan 252012

Brake lights stay on without the brakes being engaged. When you engage the brakes the lights go off. The cruise control is effected by this also. We have put dielectric lube on the switch as instructed by a certified GM tech. This works for a week or less. My research shows that the 2005/2006 models had a recall issued for this same issue.

- Heflin , AL, USA

Feb 012011

This is the worst most unsafe car I've ever owned. The power steering goes out from time to time the automatic lockout for the doors don't always work. The rear drivers side door doesn't lock out unlock at all. There are obvious electrical issues the buttons on the drivers side door work when they want to. The drivers side door also operates some sort of switch to kill power to the radio when its opened it is no longer working correctly. Its only a matter of time before this car has a deadly malfunction. The trans mission doesn't shift correctly. We have been told by GM that there is nothing wrong with the transmission and if we want them to check the other issues we will have to pay for diagnosis and repair as they are not known issues, however just google any one of the above mentioned issues and there are plenty of other owners out there with the same problems and no one is forcing GM to take responsibility I'm sorry but I don't think that when you pay $20,000 for a vehicle that there should be this many problems after a few years.

- Smock, PA, USA

Nov 232011

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on, saw online alot of people having this problem, they said GM had a recall on some older models but my daughters is a 2009, they suggested putting dialelectric grease on the body control module and I did this and it fixed the problem for 2 days so then I went to the dealer and bought a pedal position sensor and replaced that, that worked for about 3 days this is a GM defect and a serious safety issue one person online said they had theirs (ppsensor) replaced at the dealer 6 times, it's about a 120 dollar job, that's not fair it's a defect, someone will and probably has been killed because of this defect, I am replacing my daughters tomorrow if it does it again I will take it to the dealer and pay $120 for them to replace it, but a 2008 just out of warranty its a defect and a big safety issue, god I hope nothing happens to her when it goes out the next time, people don't know when she's braking because they stay on.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Nov 152011

G6 4-cyl

My headlight went out was smoking took it to get looked at and shop wouldn't fix the problem because they said that its wiring in the headlight N its a manufacturer problem... not something that the shop could fix.

- East Moline, IL, USA

Nov 012011

My brake lights are staying on at all times or coming on and off intermittently. I see that there are many other complaints on this site and the web about this problem. I think this needs to be a recall issued by GM.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Nov 112011

Low beam / daytime running light on driver's side inoperative due to faulty - badly corroded socket and wiring connections. GM has a technical service bulletin on this issue and sells replacement plugs with wire ends as this is a common problem across all vehicles built by GM. A 3 year old vehicle should not have safety issues such as inop headlights / they refuse to cover the repairs and costs. A recall needs to be issued before a fatality occurs.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jul 212011

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2008 Pontiac G6, I have been experiencing problems with my brake lights. The brake lights will come on automatically without touching the brakes. When I step on the brake, they shut off only to come back on in a short time. The cruise control is also affected by this. Cruise control will shut off when brake lights are on. I had changed the brake switch thinking this would fix the problem. It did nothing. I then brought it in and had it calibrated. This seemed to fix it, however, now the brake lights continually stay on without touching the brake. My traction light also stays on and will not shut off when pressing the traction button. I strongly suggest something be done by GM to help with this issue. I have read many stories like my own about the same thing and nothing is being done. This is a huge safety issue in that drivers behind you may not be aware that you are braking and could cause a crash.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Jun 152011

My problems started with the catalytic converter which failed and the dealer told me it was not covered under warranty which I later found out it was up to 100,000 miles. Next my airbag service light keeps coming on and now my traction control comes on and my engine powers down and I slow down at a rapid rate. Yesterday I was going down the interstate at 65 mph and the traction control light came on and the car completely lost all power almost causing me to crash and get hit by a tractor trailer and now it will not start.

- Rockport, WV, USA

Sep 192011

Brake lights come on and off intermittently. Brought vehicle in for service and brake switch was replaced.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

May 302010

G6 6-cyl

There's several issues with this car. First, the front right suspension is bad causing the car to shake. Second, I suddenly lost control of the car on the highway almost causing a severe accident while driving approximately 55-60 mph. It felt like the steering power was no longer working. Last, both back door locks stopped working a couple of months after I purchased the car. I always have to let down the window in order to manually unlock the doors. Most of these issues occurred at 46,000 miles.

- Bedford Heights, OH, USA

Jul 202011

Brake lights go on without pressing on brake pedal. Brake lights turn off when pressing on brake pedal. Have to slam down hard for brake lights to turn on. Dealer replaced brake light switch at a cost and issue not resolved. Happens intermittently.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Feb 012010

The back driver's side door auto-lock/unlock feature has not worked for over a year and a half. Now recently, the other back door auto-lock/unlock feature has stopped working also. This is very annoying and requires one to roll the window down then manually unlock the doors or crawl in and reach over, etc. The problem was gradual, sometimes the lock feature would work, sometimes not. Now it is always not working. When I googled the problem on the internet, I see that many others have had the same problem with their G6 vehicles. I had previously inquired with the car dealer, and the cost to repair was/is cost prohibitive for me. It seems as though it should be a recall situation, with so many owners having the same problem.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Jun 012011

2008 Pontiac G6. Consumer states front passenger headlights electrical problems

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 172010

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights are staying on all the time, but when I push the brakes they turn off. This happens alongside the service traction control light being displayed. When this occurs my brakes are not as responsive, which caused me to be into an accident because I was unable to stop in time. I have taken it in 3 times, and spend hundreds of dollars so far on this issue. It still isn't fixed, and nobody knows what is going on. With the brake lights staying on, it is only a matter of time until I get rear ended. This isn't the first complaint about this, I think a recall is in order. Updated 01/31/13 the consumer stated the traction control light came on the dash, stating it had turned off. The consumer stated he didn't think much of it at first, but then he noticed when the brake pedal was pressed hard to the floor a even relatively low speeds, the brakes didn't respond as they should; basically the brakes were not effective when having to stop suddenly. The consumer was informed the brake lights were staying on all the time, as he was driving, but would go out, when the brake pedal was pressed. Also, when the traction control light illuminated on the dash and the cruise control would not engage. The repair shop found a code of C0277 brake pedal position sensor defective. They replaced the brake pedal sensor. Within a couple of days, after the repair, the problem occurred again, which then resulted in an accident. The consumer stated he was driving at a low speed, and the person in front of him stopped suddenly and he stated he should have been able to stop, but the brakes malfunctioned and he rear ended another vehicle. The consumer returned to the repair shop, to see why the brake lights were staying on. The repair shop found a bad brake light switch. They replaced the switch and recalibrated the brake pedal position sensor. They also found an internal fault within the control module and replaced it. After he left the repair shop, about a mile down the road, the problem happened again. The repair shop found a bad connection from the ebcm to the brake light switch.

- Grandview, MO, USA

Apr 022011

G6 6-cyl

Rt front headlight plug & connector pins are badly corroded and burned. Headlight is inop. Lt front headlight plug and connector pins are badly corroded; not yet burned up. Headlight works.

- Bondurant, IA, USA

Mar 092010

My brakes lights on my 2008 Pontiac G6 are on when ever they feel like it. In addition to this the cruise control only works when it wants to. I've had several people at stop lights tell me to stop riding my brakes.

- Wa., WA, USA

Sep 012010

I have a 2008 G6 that only has 50,000 miles. The rear door lock has stopped working. When looking online this seems to be a huge problem with this car. We now can not use this door as it will only unlock by hand and unless you go through the other passenger door you can not reach the lock. There should be a recall to fix this problem as it looks like almost all these cars have this same issue.

- Grimes, IA, USA