NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 10 of 10) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Nov 112011

Low beam / daytime running light on driver's side inoperative due to faulty - badly corroded socket and wiring connections. GM has a technical service bulletin on this issue and sells replacement plugs with wire ends as this is a common problem across all vehicles built by GM. A 3 year old vehicle should not have safety issues such as inop headlights / they refuse to cover the repairs and costs. A recall needs to be issued before a fatality occurs.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Aug 282011

While driving my Pontiac G6, the vehicle behind me pulled up aside my vehicle, informing me that my brake lights were not working properly. While driving, my brake lights were actually on; and while braking, my brake lights would go off. I was almost 800 miles away from home and was very close to being part of a multi-car pile up. This is a very serious safety issue and a recall should be issued. I also know another person who is having the same exact problem.

- Barker, NY, USA

Jul 212011

G6 6-cyl

I own a 2008 Pontiac G6, I have been experiencing problems with my brake lights. The brake lights will come on automatically without touching the brakes. When I step on the brake, they shut off only to come back on in a short time. The cruise control is also affected by this. Cruise control will shut off when brake lights are on. I had changed the brake switch thinking this would fix the problem. It did nothing. I then brought it in and had it calibrated. This seemed to fix it, however, now the brake lights continually stay on without touching the brake. My traction light also stays on and will not shut off when pressing the traction button. I strongly suggest something be done by GM to help with this issue. I have read many stories like my own about the same thing and nothing is being done. This is a huge safety issue in that drivers behind you may not be aware that you are braking and could cause a crash.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Sep 192011

Brake lights come on and off intermittently. Brought vehicle in for service and brake switch was replaced.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

May 012011

G6 4-cyl

My brake lights illuminate after I start the car. I do not have the brake pedal depressed. Most of the time, when I depress the brake pedal the brake lights turn off. The lights will stay off for a few seconds after I release the brake pedal then they will turn back on, again without pressing the brake pedal. I notice this at night with the headlights on (I can see the reflection of the brake lights on the road behind me). After this occurred most recently, I stopped the vehicle and turned off all exterior lights and this issue continued to occur. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer twice for repair and they claimed that they could not replicate the issue. However, this happens every time I drive the vehicle at night, which is at least four times per week.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Jul 202011

Brake lights go on without pressing on brake pedal. Brake lights turn off when pressing on brake pedal. Have to slam down hard for brake lights to turn on. Dealer replaced brake light switch at a cost and issue not resolved. Happens intermittently.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Apr 022011

G6 6-cyl

Rt front headlight plug & connector pins are badly corroded and burned. Headlight is inop. Lt front headlight plug and connector pins are badly corroded; not yet burned up. Headlight works.

- Bondurant, IA, USA

Feb 022011

Low beam headlight plug/faulty wiring.

- Jesup, GA, USA

Jan 012009

My 2008 Pontiac G6 cruise control works intermittently for the past year. I use it when it works and keep it off when it does not want to engage. In the past months, my brake lights stay on when the brakes are not engaged; once I engage the brakes, the lights go out completely. This issue is intermittent as well.

- Arlington, WA, USA

Aug 032010

Brake lights stay on while brakes are depressed. When the brakes are pressed lightly the third brake light shuts off and the other brake lights dim as if the were brake was depressed. The lights stay like this for 5 seconds after the brakes are depressed then the brakes lights return to being on. The brake lights function correctly when alot of pressure is applied to the brake pedal.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jun 012010

Brake lights come on and stay on when the brake pedal is not being depressed. Depressing brake pedal causes lights to first go dim then activate. Cruise control disengages every time brake lights come on so cruise control will not function properly.

- Socorro, TX, USA

Dec 112009

The headlights on this vehicle are very dim and it is difficult to drive on dark roads at night. We live out in the country and I have to use my bright lights whenever I can. The dealer has checked the alignment and says there is no problem.

- Haines City, FL, USA

Oct 202009

2008 Pontiac G6 sedan. Brake lights are stuck on until brake pedal is depressed, then lights go off momentarily and come back on. Other motorists following cannot determine whether or not I am actually braking which is obviously dangerous. This failure has yet to cease and is a constant problem as it is my only vehicle to get to and from work. The vehicle was taken to the certified dealership under warranty and the problem has been refused to be covered under warranty.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Sep 152009

On 2/17/09, GM recalled 8,012 2005-2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles, because the brake lamps would not operate properly due to corrosion in a wiring connector. Symptoms include brake lamps illuminating when brake pedal is not depressed, brake lamps failing to illuminate when brake pedal is depressed, cruise control will not engage and greater than normal brake force is required to shift vehicle out of park. I own a 2008 Pontiac G6 which is not included in this recall, however, my vehicle is experiencing the exact problems as described in the recall notice. I still have the factory warranty but the dealer cannot find the cause of the problem, they replaced the brake sensor which did not solve the problem and they do not believe it is related to this recall as they have found no corrosion in the wiring connector. I am therefore requesting that NHTSA require GM to validate the cause and expand the recall to other years. As noted in the recall notice, "brake lamps that are not operating properly may not warn a driver in a following vehicle of the braking status and could lead to a crash without prior warning". this is a serious safety issue and I find it unacceptable that GM would not recall any vehicle with this problem and determine other causes. Thank you.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Mar 022008

2008 Pontiac G6. The brackets which hold the headlights to the car are insufficient. The headlights bounce, shake, and wobble over bumps in the road causing repeated premature headlamp bulb failure and safety hazard for visibility reasons especially at highway speeds. Bulbs have blown out 2 times since purchased as new in septmeber of 2008. Dealer states there is no known fix for headlight problem. In addition, the driver's side window on the sedan model does not stay entirely closed....pushing the window up button, the window moves 1/4" after closing.

- Pottstown, PA, USA