NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 10) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Dec 122012

The driver side headlight on my vehicle constantly comes on and off. On more that several occasions I've had to hit my headlight and sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't want to work. I've replaced bulb after bulb and come to realize that the issue is the connector. The factory connector has 3 wires and the connector that sold in my local auto part store has 2 wires. I've been driving on the city street or highway and the driver side headlight could be on and all of a sudden goes off.

- Euless, TX, USA

Sep 062012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the front passenger side headlight wiring harness melted. An individual inspected the vehicle and removed the burnt wiring and then reconnected the other wires. In addition, the passenger's side headlight bulb was replaced on three separate occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Langley, KY, USA

Sep 032015

My break lights stay on when I am driving and they go off when I hit the breaks. They will come back on once my foot is on the peddle for a few seconds. I have four children under the age of 11 that ride with me on a daily basis. I have an appointment to get this fixed tomorrow but wanted to cover everything before hand, just in case.

- Morgantown, KY, USA

Aug 292015

Traveling at highway speed the brake lamps illuminated with out the brake pedal being pushed, when brake pedal applied the brake lights turned off. Cruise control would not work push the brake pedal cruise would work again until the brake lights re illuminated without the brake pedal engaged.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Both driver and passenger side low beam headlights continuously burn out every 2-3 weeks and when checked the driver side low beam headlight connector is melted so now I am unable to replace the low beam headlights at all and am forced to drive with high beams. High beams and turn signals are not affected. I this is the same issue that has been recalled in other GM cars but for some reason my model is not included even though it is the same issue and not sure why it isn't.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Aug 012015

Drivers side headlight was out. Replaced it, went back out within a week. Have read several complaints about this on websites, and it seems that General Motors is aware of this problem for years, but no recall. Why" replacing bulbs is costly, and not to mention dangerous when you thinks you have headlights and don't. also cause for police to pull U over. Why has GM done nothing to help its customers"

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Dec 122014

I have changed mydriver side head light 3 times since December, everytime it's changed it blows within 3days. On my attempt to change it today 7/24/15, I noticed the wire harness is melted.while researching parts and cost for repair I noticed a lot of complaints about the driverside head light wire harness melting. I will definitely have to get it replaced, im sure its a fire hazzard and I would hate to be driving and my car catch fire with my babies and I in the car.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 152015

I have replaced the passenger side low beam headlight 3 times in approximately 6 months and its out again. I've already gotten a warning for driving with it out but I can't afford to keep replacing it or to replace whatever is causing it. I see several other complaints about the same problem so why hasn't this been recalled?

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jun 012015

G6 6-cyl

2008 Pontiac G6. Consumer writes in regards to several recall notices and seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated he should have been informed of the recalls on the vehicle. The consumer sent in recall numbers 14V252000 and 14V224000. Also, the lower control arms were replaced.

- Amityville, NY, USA

Jun 072014

It was called to my attention at a gas station that the passenger side headlamps on my Pontiac G6 were not on. I was traveling & away from home and felt it necessary to seek repairs asap at a repair facility in the area. After considerable effort we found a repair shop who reluctantly agreed to check the problem out. After a considerable effort, well too much it seemed, to access the headlamp bulbs he gained access and discovered the wiring was burned too badly for repairs and informed us this was a repair that should be done by a Pontiac dealer.and there was likely a recall in effect to correct the problem. The next city we came to we asked for directions to a repair shop who might be willing to attempt repairs. This shop spliced in some new wiring and a new connector and the lamps were once again burning. However the repair lasted only 90 days and again it was found to be burned wiring. In talking to other Pontiac G6 owners I have discovered this is 'the nature of the beast" and something most owners have experienced. This failure makes this car unsafe for anyone, ,particularly my wife or other family members to operate.

- Semmes, AL, USA

Jun 032015

We own a Pontiac G6. We purchased the vehicle after we had run a carfax report and it was indicated that the vehicle would be safe for our family to drive. We had a front headlight burn out. (high and low beams) we thought that this would be an easy fix to make, and we would just be able to change the headlight bulb. Imagine our surprise when our mechanic found out that the entire front headlight assembly electrical wires were burned to a crisp. (it appears that the headlight lighting is too close to the actual engine compartment.) the entire repair cost for one headlight was $361 after discount. We are very concerned that this could happen again and cause a serious accident. Having a reliable lighting system on a vehicle is absolutely essential. We also looked on the internet about the issue we were having and noticed that quite a few similar vehicle owners (at least 24) have experienced the same issue. Why is the vehicle maker not required to place a recall for this issue? Pontiac's answer, according to other vehicle owners, is for the owner to pay the cost of the repairs. We do not believe that that should be the case. We believe that Pontiac should step up to the plate and correct the engineering designers flawed design and issue a recall.

- Elburn, IL, USA

Apr 012015

Bad connections in headlight melted right off and damaged headlight

- Montgomery, NY, USA

May 062015

The turn signal switch / cancel cam stopped functioning on my original owner 2008 G6. Signals flash but stay on well after a turn is made. This should be another recall as it appears to be a common problem on these cars. Recalls are needed on the faulty headlight wiring harness and the intermediate steering shaft items as well. GM needs to be held accountable today.

- Brandon, FL, USA

May 132015

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the passenger side low beam headlight bulb became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the electrical passenger side headlight harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- New Fairfield, CT, USA

Apr 242015

The second headlight wiring harness failed leaving us with only one headlight, not because the bulb burned out but the wiring harness itself melted. GM refuses to own up to this problem, but a quick google search found thousands of results of people with the exact same issue. The GM dealer does not have an exact replacement part they just give out a generic wiring harness that the owner must cut and splice together. It is absolutely unacceptable that a wiring harness for such a basic essential element of the car would ever fail, much less so soon. The wires are obviously getting too hot and melting which shows a complete lack of electrical engineering that went into designing the headlight wiring. This is not a wear and tear item. Owners typically don't know that there is a problem for a very long time as the headlight will work intermittently once the wiring starts to degrade. They might notice from time to time that the lights are not as bright as normal especially when traveling over bumpy roads, or speed bumps as the jarring of the wires can force the wires in and out of contact. Make GM fix this now!!!

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 102015

G6 4-cyl

Driver side headlight went out, I replaced it 3 times in one week. I then go on the internet and google the problem I was having with my G6. There was over 500 thousands results of people having the same problem as me. So went to replace the headlight again and looked for any corrosion, unplugged my headlight that was supposed to be blown and it wasn't, I plugged that same headlight back in and it came on. I called GM, and complain about this problem and was told I would have to take it to the dealership and have it fixed at my cost. Very disappointed in GM!

- Bernie, MO, USA

Oct 012014

The passenger side low beam headlight bulb has been replaced twice in the last 6 months and is out again after only two months. I have not yet taken the car in again, but will ask for further inspection of problem this time!

- Portland, TN, USA

Apr 192014

G6 6-cyl

The low beam highlight was not working when I purchased the car. The dealer where I purchased the car changed out the light bulb and with in two days the low beam was not working. This bulb has been replaced 3 times in the a 30 day period. I'm now being told by my local dealer that it is the connector that needs to be replaced. Estimated cost for repair is $100.

- Cassville, MO, USA

Feb 022015

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay illuminated after foot is removed from brake pedal. Cruise control doesn't work when brake lights stay on. Traction control light illuminates intermitantly. I haven't taken to dealer, however there are recalls and bulletins for these issues. Recall #13036, recall N140115 and bulletin #14118.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Feb 162015

The headlights in my 2008 Pontiac G6 have been replaced several times in the last 16 months. The dealership service person indicates I have a bad connector possibly due to a shortage. I've had several other electrical issues with this vehicle since 2008. Currently the driver side headlight it out. The repair has not been made.

- Mullins, SC, USA