NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 6 of 10) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Apr 022013

G6 4-cyl

Vehicle brake lights stay on and when the brake pedal is pressed the lights go out. The problem is very consistent it happens daily. This is a safety concern as the vehicle has almost been rear ended multiple times. It is my understanding this is a current investigation by your Agency at this time. Please help!

- Amite, LA, USA

Sep 022013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are on all the time until I press down on the brake. Then brake lights come back on after a few seconds. -cruise control works when the brake lights are off, but only for a few seconds because of the first issue. I have had trucks beeping at me and cars flashing lights at me from behind because brake lights on all the time and on the highway it is worse. This is a serious issue and is going to cause an accident to someone or rage drivers behind me.

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Aug 282012

G6 6-cyl

-brake lights are on all the time until I press down on the brake. Then brake lights come back on after a few seconds. -cruise control works when the brake lights are off, but only for a few seconds because of the first issue -when using cruise control and applying the brakes the car does not slow down until I turn off cruise control.

- Mattoon, IL, USA

Aug 112013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving various speeds the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal was depressed the brake lights did not illuminate. The failures recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 67,000.

- Hazelton, PA, USA

Sep 072013

G6 4-cyl

When the car is started and while driving the brake lights on the car stay on, when you depress the brake pedal the lights return to normal or work in reverse, but only for approx. 15 seconds then turn on again.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 062012

Started having issues with 2008 Pontiac G6 a year ago, service traction control message started coming on, cruise control won't work, and brake lights are on when driving but go off when I press the brakes. I have had the body control module worked on twice, the brake pedal position sensor has been replaced, put on the computer several times trying to find the problem. Nothing has worked and all the service and repair costs have come out of my pocket. I have been pulled over by the police and state troopers, and have had close calls because of the brake lights malfunctioning. I just had the brake pedal position sensor replaced 2 weeks ago and I got pulled over again tonight because my brake lights were on but went out when I pressed the brake pedal. This is dangerous, I drive to work everyday an hour and a half each way to a city, and I am scared everyday that someone will hit me because they won't know I am braking. It is a safety issue and the fact that the manufacture has not done anything to fix this issue is risking my life, other driver's lives, and I can't afford the constant service bills for repairs that don't fix the problem.

- Hornell, NY, USA

Aug 242013

G6 4-cyl

The brake lamps illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, and the lamps do not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. In addition, the cruise control will not engage.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Jun 012013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights stay on all the time and when first pressing the brake pedal they go off and after pushing the brake pedal further they will re-illuminate. Because of them always being on the cruise control also will not work.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Aug 102013

Low beam headlamp stopped working in "auto" mode. Authorized dealer said socket was corroded and melted. Online research indicates this is a prevalent problem with this make and model vehicle, yet GM has not issued a recall for obviously inferior wiring with potentially hazardous results. Quoted repair costs are exorbitant, and based on the quantity of owners with identical issues, one would expect that GM would do the right thing and issue a recall.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 062012

Currently own a 2008 Pontiac G6. The brake lights engage without the brake pedal being pressed. Cruise control will not engage properly.

- La Porte , IN, USA

Jul 082013

I bought my 2008 Pontiac G6 new with 3 miles on it. For the first 30,000 miles I had zero issues with the car. Since then it has had problems. The first was the steering column, while at a stop light the wheel began to turn itself. Steering became difficult to control and so I pulled over and used my cell to record the movement it was making on its own. The dealership replaced a computer module in the steering column.( after showing the video to the service manager and threatening to take it to the local news network) soon after the popping began in the column while turning. The module was under warranty but the "lube kit" for the popping in the column had to be out of my wallet to fix. ( oh how I love the ass hats at GM ). still have popping when turning. Then came the randomness to the headlights working. ( or not working ) replaced bulbs in low beam ( both sides ) several times and have noticed corrosion in connectors. Now the brake light are constantly on. The lights being on causes the cruise control to not work or shut off when lights activate on their own. I have also noticed my rear passenger caliper is sticking and eating pads, im on caliper number 3 as of today with countless pads and zero help from GM without having to fork over lots of money to fix a car (that obviously by the hundreds of complaints) was horribly built. Its pretty plain to see corners were cut in the production of this heap.

- Montross , VA, USA

Jun 062011

G6 4-cyl

I have had several issues with the exterior lighting of my vehicle. First the headlights on the passenger side went out and I replaced the bulb, then driver side has went out and the bulb has been replaced. Also I have had problems with my brake lights; I took my vehicle to our local O'reily's and at first we thought the light bulb needed replaced but after wiggling around the wires it started working..this has happened to me on more than one occasion. As of this year I've changed both headlights twice and the exterior brake light and as of today I have another headlight that has blown..I got online and notices several complaints from different people on the Pontiac G6 that are having the same issue as me and there is no correction for this fixed except having the whole lighting assembly changed with the wiring which is a 700 or more dollar fix. I've contacted GM about this issue and have not received a response as of yet. This is very disturbing for me because I have been stopped by the police before because of this and this is starting to become a financial burden for me.

- Ripley, TN, USA

May 022013

G6 4-cyl

In April of this year I had my car put in the shop for a warranty replacement of my catalytic converter. While at the dealership for the warranty replacement I had them to replace the headlight. Everything was fine for a few weeks. All of a sudden the driver side headlight would come on when the car cranked them go out as I drove down the road. Then it started with the passenger side. Some times they both come on or one might. Then as you drive down the road I may come on or the other one go out. Well about two weeks ago I cranked my car and my lights are on auto so when they didn't come on I turned them off them back to auto and nothing! I only had high beams. As I drove down the road one went out and the other came on and so I dimmed and had one low beam. Then the other came on and worked for a bit before I got home I only had one low beam. Last night when I got in my car once again I had no low beams at all on high beams. Have been pulled over yet but it's a matter if time for only having one low or having to drive into on coming traffic with my lights on high.

- Winnfield, LA, USA

Jun 102013

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights on my vehicle light up while I am driving. They turn off when I hit the brakes. There have been multiple close call incidents when my brake lights are malfunctioning.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jun 102013

Brake lights do not shut off unless I press in the brake pedal. The cruise also does not work when this happens. It has almost caused several accidents. I have replaced the brake light switch and that did not fix the issue as the dealership said that is what it was.

- Southington , OH, USA

Jun 132013

G6 4-cyl

I start the car the brake lights come on, I then step on the brake pedal and the brake light turn off. I have very narrowly missed being rear ended half a dozen times in three days thankfully no body has been hurt yet. I have a three year old son that rides in the backseat of my car! you guys need to get on the ball, the already known recall obviously needs to expand to at least 2008. How much longer do you need" this is how its gonna work, I go to a GM dealer, tell them my problem. They tell me "oh, its just the....." and I say "how do you know that?" "there is a recall but not for this year, so you'll have to pay" see the problem here"

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 082013

G6 4-cyl

Replaced the H11 bulb (drivers side) due to it no longer working. Installed new bulb and with a little wiggling of the connector got it to work. Thru the week the light would work and then not work. If ya banged the housing it would come on. Today (June 15, 2013) I went to replace the H11 bulb and found the connector melted on one side. The wire was exposed and shorted out. Replaced the connector and installed a new H11 bulb. Seems to be working fine. This is the second time this has happened to me. The passenger side H11 bulb had the same exact issue a few months ago. High beam wiring seems to be intact with no issues.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Jun 092013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights would not illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Gloucster Point, VA, USA

May 172013

G6 4-cyl

I was changing my front passenger daytime running lamp and headlight and realized there is massive corrosion in both light sockets. The replacement bulb did not initially illuminate and it took several minutes of working it into the socket for it to finally light. Several days later my dash information counsel illuminated and read "auto lights off" indicating that my running lamps were no longer on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 242012

G6 4-cyl

My vehicle has experienced the issue that when I press the brake pedal, the brake lights go off and when the brake pedal is not being pressed the brake lights go back on again. It has cause many people to almost rear-end me in intercity driving and many pass me on the highway because they assume I am "riding my brakes." I've gone as far as to put dialectic grease on the body computer to prevent any corrosion, but this is only a temporary fix. We found that if we periodically unplug and re-plug the same computer it will "reset" the brakes for a temporary amount of time. I've tried contacting Pontiac about this issue but end up being repeatedly told that "there is no recall for my VIN on this issue." They didn't seem to care as much that I was calling out of courtesy to let them know so they can prevent any issues or fatalities. I was urged to go pay a GM dealer $$ to "diagnose" the problem so they could find out that, thanks Pontiac, that's exactly what I want to money to help you expand your recall.

- Belleville, IL, USA