NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 8 of 10)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Jun 012011

G6 4-cyl

I have had several problems with my 2008 Pontiac G6, one of which I have contacted GM but am unable to pay for a diagnostic at a dealer to then be reimbursed, which is for the actuator on the rear driver' side door that prevents the door from locking and unlocking; a huge safety concern. I have to check the door each time I exit my car, as it being locked or unlocked is completely unpredictable. I have found many posts on www.G6ownersclub.com where owners share similar stories; along with other costly, safety issues I experience. I will also note some other issues I have regarding the dome light and the door ajar essage. I have to leave my dome light in the off osition because when left on auto, it does not dim and turn off. On days I have forgotten, I find my dome lights on after 12 or so hours of non-use. In an effort to not forget and drain my battery, I leave it off; this leads to my having to get in and out of a dark car at night and early in the morning. Also, the door ajar message displays constantly and often makes a beeping noise in warning. I have read online that there is an issue with the door sensors, causing "door ajar" to appear. Other than being purely annoyed, my concern is that if a door were to ever actually be ajar, I would have no premise to pull over and check. Also, the warning noise does sound at times when the message is not displaying, which leads to distracted driving as I check for issues on my instrument panel and that all passengers are wearing seat belts. All three of the aforementioned issues started within a few months of one another in 2011, shortly after my lease ended and I purchased the vehicle. I appreciate your time in reading my concerns. I have anticipated a day for a recall to assist those like myself, who live on a limited income and cannot address all of these non-debilitating, yet unsafe G6 issues, out-of-pocket.

- Bath, MI, USA

Jun 012012

G6 4-cyl

I would like to inform NHTSA that my 2008 Pontiac G6 had/has issues with the brake lights. The lights are illuminated while accelerating and turn off while braking. The issue was first brought to my attention when my brother was following me and asked why I was riding my brakes. He explained what he saw, and we figured out my brake lights were backward. The issue continued, with seemingly no pattern. At times they illuminated correctly and at others, not. I tested the lights often and speed also did not seem to be a factor. I took my car to a repair shop where I was charged $162.90 for a new brake switch that was not needed. Upon finding the issue still in existence, I contacted the shop to request a refund, which I was ultimately denied. The repair shop stated they had never heard of such an issue with brake lights, even though they witnessed it themselves while my car was there for multiple days. Upon finding no one who seemed to have an idea how to fix the issue, I found a video on youtube of a demonstration to fix the issue, www.youtube.com/watch"V=N7ra7mc_tlo. I took my car to a friend who followed the steps in the video. My brakes seem to be working ok at this point, but as the man in the video points out, the fix may only last for 8 or so months. Please note that since ?fixing? my brake lights, I have seen two G6"S on the road with this brake light issue, of which the drivers may or may have not known. My daily commute often involves traffic backups, and I do not want to be behind a vehicle with this issue, nor would I want anyone behind me unable to recognize that I am braking. I look forward to following NHTSA regarding the brake light issue, and hope to get a recall notice.

- Bath, MI, USA

Jan 232013

G6 6-cyl

I had an issue with my low beam head lights going out over the last 12 months on my 2008 Pontiac G6. I replaced the bulbs 3 times only to have them go out again after a couple of weeks, resulting in no low beam headlights.I called GM who notified me there was no recall notice for this issue and I needed to have a diagnosis performed by a GM dealership before they would evaluate the situation. I was told by sauers dealership that it was an issue with the low beam connectors melting and that I needed to have the connectors and bulbs replaced. I informed GM of this who then called the dealer and I was told since my car was out of warranty and this was the first occurrence of this problem they could not help me with this repair cost. I have seen many reports of this same issue on the internet and am concerned that GM is not recalling for this issue. I have made a couple of attempts to have GM reimburse me for the repair costs of $305.08 but they refuse and now will not respond to me.

- La Porte, IN, USA

Jan 222013

G6

When replacing a head lamp on the passenger side I noticed that there was burnt plastic on the connector. I am worried that this is going to heat up to a point and cause a fire. I have noticed that there are a lot of people complaining about this issue and it should be addressed.

- Wilkinson, IN, USA

Aug 012011

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights engage and cruise control disengages at varying times. Brake lights engages when accelerating. Upon minor depression of the brake pedal, brake lights shut off, then re-engage as the pedal is depressed further. Brake lights engage at both high and low speeds, as well as when the vehicle is parked and running.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Nov 142012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the rear brake lights illuminated independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was told that the failure could have been contributed to any of the switches or relays. A full diagnostic was not performed on the vehicle to determine the exact failure. The manufacturer was notified and advised that there were no recalls, offering no additional assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage were 71,000.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Jan 252013

G6

About 3 weeks ago the low beam headlight went out on my Pontiac G6. We replaced it and not it has went out again. Can't figure out why it keeps going out.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 052011

G6

The contact owns a Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was applied and the rear brake lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the brake light switch had been replaced four times. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Evanston, WY, USA

Mar 072012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the head and tail lights would fail sporadically and without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would shake violently and a loud noise was heard from the steering wheel. In addition, the door latches failed to lock. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 52,565.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jan 082013

G6 4-cyl

I notice my passenger side low beam headlight was out so I bought a couple new bulbs to replace both lights. After I opened everything up I notice the whole inside of the headlight was burned and melted. I've been looking into this and it seems many, many other people are having this same issue. I am concerned about wiring and connectors catching on fire in this car now.

- Andover, MA, USA

Sep 032012

G6 4-cyl

I kept having my headlights blow out and continued to replace them. Finally brought the car to my father (who works as a firefighter/ fire investigator/ fire inspector) who noted a post electrical type fire in the harness of where the bulb plugs into. The harness and bulb were since replaced and then again 4 days ago the same thing happened, my bulb blew out and went to look and the harness was again melted with a strong electrical burning smell coming from the connector. Another bulb was placed without replacing the harness 2 days ago and today is again burnt out. Strong electrical odor coming from the headlight area.

- Moorestown, NJ, USA

Sep 142012

G6 6-cyl

Low beam headlight (driver side) goes out randomly. Have replaced bulbs and it happens again a few days later. After a few more days it goes out again and then a few more days it comes back. I have removed headlight assembly and used electric tape to hold wires together tightly but it still occurs. Seems to be a common problem with G6S based on all the problems posted on the internet. Last time they decided to go out was on the highway in a snow storm. Definite safety issue.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Aug 172012

G6 4-cyl

The wiring in my headlight is either burning or shorting out my light bulb. There is the connector to attach the headlight to the car that is get hot enough to melt the plastic. It chooses when it wants to work and when I put in a new light bulb (I am aware not to touch the light bulb) it will work for about 2-3 weeks and then continue not to work. Seeing as this is obviously a problem and friends of mine who also own the same car have the same problem I am wondering if this is not just a coincidence. This is becoming a huge pain in my rear!!

- Fowlerville, MI, USA

Oct 082012

G6 4-cyl

The right headlight went out. It was replaced, and then 2 days later neither headlight worked. The auto option still ran my high-beams, my tail lights and my parking lights. Then 1 week later when my auto option was on, nothing worked, no tail lights, no headlights, and no parking lights. When the lights are in the "on" position I get tail lights, and parking light, but still no headlights. I am being told it will be $140 to look at it and that this is not covered under my warranty. In searching online I see that multiple cars seem to have this defect in the lighting. It is my belief that this defect should go under a recall and GM needs to fix it at their expense.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 312012

G6

The connector terminal was burnt out and extremely corroded. My passenger headlight is burnt out and this has happened 4 times since January, it is currently October. The last two weeks has ruined two bulbs. This is a dangerous issue and should not be happening on a properly maintenance car.

- Westboro, MA, USA

Sep 142012

G6 6-cyl

Due to poorly designed harness assembly with inferior materials, the headlight harness connector on the Pontiac G6 corrodes and melts and the headlights won't work. GM should cover the repairs under warranty since this is a safety issue and the lights (primarily low beams) go on and off randomly, and standard bulb replacement does not solve the problem. There are many postings on the Pontiac G6 owners forum that is an ongoing safety issue and owners should not be responsible for making repairs at their own expense.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 102012

G6 4-cyl

I have had my car for little over a year and over the past 6 months I have had problems with my headlights staying on/working. My fiance went to change the bulb and when he did he noticed that the wires were melted. Apparently its getting so hot that the wires are melting and my headlights stop working. We have tried replacing the bulbs at least twice and they still will not work. This is happening on both sides and I'm afraid it might cause a fire. Since the dealer doesn't have anything on record they will not fix it and the parts are so expensive that I can't afford to get it fixed. Please help me with this problem. Thanks!

- Cabot, AR, USA

Aug 042012

G6

Right low beam quit working, replaced headlight, worked for a very short time. Found wiring harness burnt at bulb. Contacted dealer to replace harness, they said I had to buy the whole headlight assembly for $160. I feel this is a GM defect, and GM should place a recall on this issue. They have a bulletin on this issue, but want to sell you the whole assembly. Bulletin # sb-10-08-42-001A. Why can't we just get the harness" is replacing the whole assembly going to solve the issue" I have been pulled over 2 times over this issue. GM needs to pay for this.

- Socorro, NM, USA

Nov 022011

G6

Brake lights illuminated when brakes not applied, turned off when brakes were applied (according to family member who was driving behind me). Problem seemed to resolve itself, but has recurred several times over the past year. Subsequent occurrences have been slightly different - brake lights illuminate when brakes not applied, then turn off briefly and come back on when brake pedal is depressed. When brake pedal is released, brake lights turn off for ~5-10 seconds before coming back on. Occurred again this morning - attempted to resolve by disconnecting negative battery terminal and reconnecting after ~15 minutes to see if the system would reset itself, but it did not. Incidents seem random - have not been able to identify a common thread (such as hard braking, vehicle maintenance activities, weather, other lighting issues, etc).

- Cypress, TX, USA

Aug 102011

G6 6-cyl

The first time I noticed the problem I was being followed by a family member and they noticed the brake lights remaining on as I was driving down the road. It happens all the time now. I can be driving from 20mph to 70+mph down the road and the brake lights will illuminate and remain on without me using the brake pedal. A light touch to the brakes will turn them off, but just for a second. I have been rear-ended once in the last year; however, I am not sure if this issue has something to do with that accident. I am afraid this issue could cause other errors and issues with in the vehicle or cause an accident. I have had a mechanic look at the car but he could not figure out what the problem was coming from. I have also asked the dealership and they could not give me a definitive answer on a solution either. From some internet research it appears to be a recurring problem with other Pontiac G6 owners.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA