NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 8 of 10) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Jan 222013

When replacing a head lamp on the passenger side I noticed that there was burnt plastic on the connector. I am worried that this is going to heat up to a point and cause a fire. I have noticed that there are a lot of people complaining about this issue and it should be addressed.

- Wilkinson, IN, USA

Aug 012011

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights engage and cruise control disengages at varying times. Brake lights engages when accelerating. Upon minor depression of the brake pedal, brake lights shut off, then re-engage as the pedal is depressed further. Brake lights engage at both high and low speeds, as well as when the vehicle is parked and running.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Nov 142012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the rear brake lights illuminated independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was told that the failure could have been contributed to any of the switches or relays. A full diagnostic was not performed on the vehicle to determine the exact failure. The manufacturer was notified and advised that there were no recalls, offering no additional assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage were 71,000.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Jan 252013

About 3 weeks ago the low beam headlight went out on my Pontiac G6. We replaced it and not it has went out again. Can't figure out why it keeps going out.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 052011

The contact owns a Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was applied and the rear brake lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the brake light switch had been replaced four times. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Evanston, WY, USA

Mar 072012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the head and tail lights would fail sporadically and without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would shake violently and a loud noise was heard from the steering wheel. In addition, the door latches failed to lock. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 52,565.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jan 082013

G6 4-cyl

I notice my passenger side low beam headlight was out so I bought a couple new bulbs to replace both lights. After I opened everything up I notice the whole inside of the headlight was burned and melted. I've been looking into this and it seems many, many other people are having this same issue. I am concerned about wiring and connectors catching on fire in this car now.

- Andover, MA, USA

Sep 032012

G6 4-cyl

I kept having my headlights blow out and continued to replace them. Finally brought the car to my father (who works as a firefighter/ fire investigator/ fire inspector) who noted a post electrical type fire in the harness of where the bulb plugs into. The harness and bulb were since replaced and then again 4 days ago the same thing happened, my bulb blew out and went to look and the harness was again melted with a strong electrical burning smell coming from the connector. Another bulb was placed without replacing the harness 2 days ago and today is again burnt out. Strong electrical odor coming from the headlight area.

- Moorestown, NJ, USA

Sep 142012

G6 6-cyl

Low beam headlight (driver side) goes out randomly. Have replaced bulbs and it happens again a few days later. After a few more days it goes out again and then a few more days it comes back. I have removed headlight assembly and used electric tape to hold wires together tightly but it still occurs. Seems to be a common problem with G6S based on all the problems posted on the internet. Last time they decided to go out was on the highway in a snow storm. Definite safety issue.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Aug 172012

G6 4-cyl

The wiring in my headlight is either burning or shorting out my light bulb. There is the connector to attach the headlight to the car that is get hot enough to melt the plastic. It chooses when it wants to work and when I put in a new light bulb (I am aware not to touch the light bulb) it will work for about 2-3 weeks and then continue not to work. Seeing as this is obviously a problem and friends of mine who also own the same car have the same problem I am wondering if this is not just a coincidence. This is becoming a huge pain in my rear!!

- Fowlerville, MI, USA

Oct 082012

G6 4-cyl

The right headlight went out. It was replaced, and then 2 days later neither headlight worked. The auto option still ran my high-beams, my tail lights and my parking lights. Then 1 week later when my auto option was on, nothing worked, no tail lights, no headlights, and no parking lights. When the lights are in the "on" position I get tail lights, and parking light, but still no headlights. I am being told it will be $140 to look at it and that this is not covered under my warranty. In searching online I see that multiple cars seem to have this defect in the lighting. It is my belief that this defect should go under a recall and GM needs to fix it at their expense.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 312012

The connector terminal was burnt out and extremely corroded. My passenger headlight is burnt out and this has happened 4 times since January, it is currently October. The last two weeks has ruined two bulbs. This is a dangerous issue and should not be happening on a properly maintenance car.

- Westboro, MA, USA

Sep 142012

G6 6-cyl

Due to poorly designed harness assembly with inferior materials, the headlight harness connector on the Pontiac G6 corrodes and melts and the headlights won't work. GM should cover the repairs under warranty since this is a safety issue and the lights (primarily low beams) go on and off randomly, and standard bulb replacement does not solve the problem. There are many postings on the Pontiac G6 owners forum that is an ongoing safety issue and owners should not be responsible for making repairs at their own expense.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 102012

G6 4-cyl

I have had my car for little over a year and over the past 6 months I have had problems with my headlights staying on/working. My fiance went to change the bulb and when he did he noticed that the wires were melted. Apparently its getting so hot that the wires are melting and my headlights stop working. We have tried replacing the bulbs at least twice and they still will not work. This is happening on both sides and I'm afraid it might cause a fire. Since the dealer doesn't have anything on record they will not fix it and the parts are so expensive that I can't afford to get it fixed. Please help me with this problem. Thanks!

- Cabot, AR, USA

Aug 042012

Right low beam quit working, replaced headlight, worked for a very short time. Found wiring harness burnt at bulb. Contacted dealer to replace harness, they said I had to buy the whole headlight assembly for $160. I feel this is a GM defect, and GM should place a recall on this issue. They have a bulletin on this issue, but want to sell you the whole assembly. Bulletin # sb-10-08-42-001A. Why can't we just get the harness" is replacing the whole assembly going to solve the issue" I have been pulled over 2 times over this issue. GM needs to pay for this.

- Socorro, NM, USA

Nov 022011

Brake lights illuminated when brakes not applied, turned off when brakes were applied (according to family member who was driving behind me). Problem seemed to resolve itself, but has recurred several times over the past year. Subsequent occurrences have been slightly different - brake lights illuminate when brakes not applied, then turn off briefly and come back on when brake pedal is depressed. When brake pedal is released, brake lights turn off for ~5-10 seconds before coming back on. Occurred again this morning - attempted to resolve by disconnecting negative battery terminal and reconnecting after ~15 minutes to see if the system would reset itself, but it did not. Incidents seem random - have not been able to identify a common thread (such as hard braking, vehicle maintenance activities, weather, other lighting issues, etc).

- Cypress, TX, USA

Aug 102011

G6 6-cyl

The first time I noticed the problem I was being followed by a family member and they noticed the brake lights remaining on as I was driving down the road. It happens all the time now. I can be driving from 20mph to 70+mph down the road and the brake lights will illuminate and remain on without me using the brake pedal. A light touch to the brakes will turn them off, but just for a second. I have been rear-ended once in the last year; however, I am not sure if this issue has something to do with that accident. I am afraid this issue could cause other errors and issues with in the vehicle or cause an accident. I have had a mechanic look at the car but he could not figure out what the problem was coming from. I have also asked the dealership and they could not give me a definitive answer on a solution either. From some internet research it appears to be a recurring problem with other Pontiac G6 owners.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA

Sep 252012

G6 6-cyl

The wire connection to the main headlight (on both sides) is fraying--leaving bare wire exposed. Whenever I hit a bump, sometimes the headlight goes out. I thought it was a bad bulb, but when I went to replace it on one side I noticed exposed wire and a fraying connector. I checked the other side, and same problem.

- Eupora, MS, USA

Jun 102010

I purchased my 2008 Pontiac G6 in November 6, 2009. In the summer of 2010 my passenger side headlight went out. I didn't think anything of it because that happens from time to time. A month or so after replacing it, it went out again. After replacing the bulb 4 times I finally had a mechanic look at it who told me it was the low beam connector that has corroded and needs to be replaced. After replacing that part I didn't experience a bulb outage for 6 months or so. Then one day when walking inside to my home I noticed the runner lights on the front headlights were lit and I could not shut them off. It ended up draining my battery and simultaneously made the passenger side headlight not work again. I took it to the dealership who fixed the runner light issue but told me in order to fix my headlight issue I would need to purchase a new headlight assembly because "it smelled burnt." After going back in forth with them in trying to get them to acknowledge an electrical issue with the car I took the car home with one headlight until a few days later the driver side headlight went out. My high beams work but that is unacceptable to use around traffic. Both low beam headlight bulbs are good but the connectors keep melting and corroding and the dealership will not acknowledge that the issue is bigger than buying headlight assembly's. I also now have some internal dash and control panel lights not working and those also stopped the same time as everything else.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the brake lights would remain illuminated until the brakes were engaged. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 34,000 and current mileage was 40,000.

- Delaware , OH, USA