NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 9 of 10)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Aug 102011

G6 6-cyl

The first time I noticed the problem I was being followed by a family member and they noticed the brake lights remaining on as I was driving down the road. It happens all the time now. I can be driving from 20mph to 70+mph down the road and the brake lights will illuminate and remain on without me using the brake pedal. A light touch to the brakes will turn them off, but just for a second. I have been rear-ended once in the last year; however, I am not sure if this issue has something to do with that accident. I am afraid this issue could cause other errors and issues with in the vehicle or cause an accident. I have had a mechanic look at the car but he could not figure out what the problem was coming from. I have also asked the dealership and they could not give me a definitive answer on a solution either. From some internet research it appears to be a recurring problem with other Pontiac G6 owners.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA

Sep 252012

G6 6-cyl

The wire connection to the main headlight (on both sides) is fraying--leaving bare wire exposed. Whenever I hit a bump, sometimes the headlight goes out. I thought it was a bad bulb, but when I went to replace it on one side I noticed exposed wire and a fraying connector. I checked the other side, and same problem.

- Eupora, MS, USA

Jun 102010

G6

I purchased my 2008 Pontiac G6 in November 6, 2009. In the summer of 2010 my passenger side headlight went out. I didn't think anything of it because that happens from time to time. A month or so after replacing it, it went out again. After replacing the bulb 4 times I finally had a mechanic look at it who told me it was the low beam connector that has corroded and needs to be replaced. After replacing that part I didn't experience a bulb outage for 6 months or so. Then one day when walking inside to my home I noticed the runner lights on the front headlights were lit and I could not shut them off. It ended up draining my battery and simultaneously made the passenger side headlight not work again. I took it to the dealership who fixed the runner light issue but told me in order to fix my headlight issue I would need to purchase a new headlight assembly because "it smelled burnt." After going back in forth with them in trying to get them to acknowledge an electrical issue with the car I took the car home with one headlight until a few days later the driver side headlight went out. My high beams work but that is unacceptable to use around traffic. Both low beam headlight bulbs are good but the connectors keep melting and corroding and the dealership will not acknowledge that the issue is bigger than buying headlight assembly's. I also now have some internal dash and control panel lights not working and those also stopped the same time as everything else.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Feb 012012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the brake lights would remain illuminated until the brakes were engaged. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 34,000 and current mileage was 40,000.

- Delaware , OH, USA

Sep 212012

G6 6-cyl

Brakes lamps is on all the time.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Sep 012012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph, the engine overheated and the oil leaked. The contact also stated that the driver side headlight and the horn failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 74,000.

- Eerie, PA, USA

Mar 142012

G6

My 2008 Pontiac G6's brake lights are intermittently staying on when I am not pushing on the brake and then they goes off when I am pushing on the brake. I see that there was a recall on the 2005 and 2006 models but not the 2008. This is a danger to me. I believe that this should be a recall and/or that GM should pay to have this problem fixed before it causes a wreck. Also my cruise control works only part of the time, which may be related.

- Lewistown, IL, USA

Aug 012012

G6 6-cyl

The low beam headlights work intermittently even after they bulbs have been replaced. Sometimes one works(passenger or driver side) and sometimes neither work.

- Eagleville, TN, USA

Jul 262012

G6

The passenger low beam headlight kept on shorting out, noticed it was the wiring plug, it was melted. Also the passenger back door lock sticks, will not lock and unlock sometimes you have to do it manually, the driver side back door lock you have to manually lock and unlock.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Apr 162012

G6

Headlights keep burning out. Replacement bulbs last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. We have replaced them 3 times.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 162012

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 012012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake warning lights remained illuminated when the brakes were not engaged. In addition, the brake lights stopped illuminating when the brakes were applied. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Coon Rapids, MI, USA

Dec 302008

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact was alerted by a driver from the rear that the brake lights illuminated continuously. The brake lights remained illumined until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer six times for the same failure. The brake light switch was replaced twice. The failure recurred after the repair. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Apr 262012

G6

While driving 2008 Pontiac G6 passenger headlights went dim/out. This has happened multiple days and the wiring to the connectors seem to be loose/corroded.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Feb 142012

G6

The low beams on my 2008 Pontiac G tend to burn out every month. I purchased the car in 2008 and as of Jan 2012 I made my first replacement. Then again in February. Now again in March. It has become a pain and costly. First off to get to the light itself is a heck of a hassle than to spend money on trying different brands have become costly.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Feb 022012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake lights would not illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The brake lights did, however, illuminate when the brake pedal was not being depressed. In addition, the cruise control was inoperable and the contact had to apply excessive pressure to the brake pedal in order to shift out of park. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop, but they failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 76,889.

- Smithfield, NC, USA

Sep 152011

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the headlights illuminated on an intermittent basis, making it very difficult to drive at night. The contact replaced the bulbs in the headlights, but the new bulbs were only an intermittent remedy. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that a computer needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 112012

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake lights illuminated while driving at all speeds when the brakes were not engaged. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Aug 232011

G6 6-cyl

The passenger side headlight will not come on, we have yet to replace the headlight since my husband purchased the vehicle in may of 2009. We went to replace the bulb and it worked for a day or two. When we went to replace it yet again we noticed that the socket that the headlight goes into was melted. When we went in to the auto parts store to ask what to do we were informed that this was a common issues in a lot of GM vehicles.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Dec 132011

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while having repairs performed on the headlight, the mechanic noticed that the wiring connector was melted. The mechanic advised that the headlight had to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 81,000.

- Irving , TX, USA