NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 10)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Sep 012014

G6

Headlights (low beams) began to flicker before completely going out a few days later while driving. Replaced the bulbs and checked the fuses. Experienced the same issue a few months later while starting the vehicle. Replaced both head light assemblies. Six months later the same issue repeated itself but with both low beams and high beams. Bought new bulbs again and they only survived a few months before going out completely. Serious driving hazard and inconvenient drive-time constriction, considering that I have to plan my driving around daylight hours and hope it doesn't rain. I believe it is the wiring harness causing the issue due to poor design of wires being too close together and causing a short. Fog lights and parking lights still work consistently.

- Clinton, WA, USA

Jul 152014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, the brake lamps illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lamps failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that it needed to be repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electrical stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Sep 012016

G6

While driving my brake lights come on when I am 'driving' and my brake lights go off when I am braking. I took my car to the dealership for regular maintenance, and asked them about this problem. They said it was a recall and they fixed it. Well ian still driving an unsafe car. And now I am being told I will have to pay for it. This doesn't seem right. It was clearly a recall that was not fixed.

- Deptford, NJ, USA

Apr 012016

G6

Driver side front low beam light was out and replaced at pep boys in April 2016. Since then the light would work intermittenly. I returned to pep boys and was told it was probably an electrical problem that they see 9 out of 10 times with Pontiac. Went to dealer on 8/22/2016 and was told that the bulb connector had melted, a problem that is very common with this car. I had to pay $212.17 to replace the low beam connector and the new headlamp that I was told could not be re-used. I am now hoping it doesn't burn out again soon or that the right side doesn't burn out too. This is a dangerous problem because I never knew when my headlight would be on or if it would remain on during an outing. Sometimes I would board my car and begin driving with the light on and part way through my trip the light would go off leaving me suddenly in the dark. Luckily I was never stopped and ticketed by the police or, even worse, suffered an accident due to a sudden change in visibility on the road.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 072016

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at any speed, the brake lights remained illuminated regardless if the brake pedal was depressed or not. In addition, the traction light illuminated. The failures occurred continuously. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 08/30/16 the consumer stated the brake either illuminate all the time, or they do not illuminate at all. The electrical system would go haywire. The seat belt alarm sounded even when it was un-buckled, the traction control light illuminated and so did other random lights. Updated 10/26/16.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Jun 232016

G6

Driver side headlight could not be replaced because the connector and wiring burnt. The casing broke off two of the wires and when they touched the connector melted behind the bulb. The entire assembly unit has to be replaced. I saw another complaint filed a few days ago with the same issue.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Jun 062016

G6

The headlight keeps going out I took it in to get the bulb replaced and it was melted.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Feb 022016

G6

Several weeks back, I was driving locally (maybe 35mph) on a city street when my break lights appeared to stop working. I was stopped at a light when someone flashed their lights at me. At the next light, (I did not switch lanes or stop abruptly), another vehicle honked and came to an abrupt stop behind me and then flashed their lights at me. Later that day I checked all my lights and they appeared to be working. I checked again a few weeks later and they seemed to be fine. I never took the car to be fixed, and I know my car's VIN is not eligible for recalls. I did not think it was a big issue until I noticed a lot of complaints on this site where other Pontiac have random break light failure.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 022015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 60 mph, the exterior and interiorior lighting failed to illuminate. The contact coasted the vehicle over to the side of the road and the driver side headlight illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but not repaired. In addition, while driving 60 mph, the windshield wiper motor failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Oak Harvor, WA, USA

Jan 242016

G6

Driving on the fwy and suddenly all of my hazard lights start turning on at once. My car started to lose power and I had to pull off to the side, not even my emergency lights would work. This is the 2nd time this has happened, the last was a few months ago and had the alternator replaced. Could it be the alternator again? I think not, I have also had issues with my power windows. I am not a mechanic but, I believe there is an electrical problem that is causing a shortage.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Oct 152015

G6

Continuous melting of headlamp wiring harness / connector causing loss of front illumination. Melting of connector is not specific to either driver or passenger side as it has occurred on both sides. Melting causes complete failure of front illumination until connector is replaced. Replacement of headlamp does not correct problem until connector is also replaced. Failure is not specific to vehicle in motion or stationary.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Dec 292015

G6

The passenger headlight kept going out, replaced it 3 times in 1 yr. A bump in the road causes it to go off or on. Tonight the driver side is now doing the same thing. The highbeams work but not lowbeams. I have found hundreds of complaints online for the same vehicle. Why is there no recall on this issue if hundreds of 2008 Pontiac G6 headlight assembly parts are "melted and malfunctioning" I should not have to pay out of my pocket to correct an issue that is not a result of my operation of the vehicle. This is a very serious safety issue. Both headlights went out before I got home tonight and I could not see anything, had to pull over in a dark area on the back road (again unsafe), banged on the hood and one came back on. What does it take to have a recall issued on this~~a lawsuit after a vehicle fatality occurs? this is a part/vehicle issue that should be the responsibility of Pontiac to correct--not me.

- Ivor, VA, USA

Nov 152015

G6

Wiring harness connection to low beam headlight melted causing low beam not to work on driver side of vehicle. After finding issue inspected passenger side and it is also showing sides of degradation. Unless you can find a harness at a scrap yard you must completely replace the headlight assembly according to the dealership at a cost of over $300!

- Douglassville, PA, USA

Oct 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 65 mph, the passenger side low beam head lamp failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the low beam wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Nov 152015

G6

Passenger side headlight mount shorted out. After doing research, this seems that it is not a localized problem, as numerous online resources show that this is an ongoing problem. This is a gross safety issue that's been prevalent for at least four years, and GMC has failed to do anything about it. One example: www.G6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php"T=9405 second example: www.amazon.com/review/R8A1V2cbaitru/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm"ie=utf8&asin=B003sywzte

- Coralville, IA, USA

Nov 102015

G6

Noticed a popping noise when turning either way sounding like coming from steering colum.

- Baxter, KY, USA

Sep 192015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, it was brought to the contact's attention that the passenger side headlight failed to illuminate and needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the bulb was changed, however the failure recurred. The contact stated that while attempting to replace the bulb, it was witnessed that the headlight connector assembly had melted. The vehicle was not taken for diagnosis and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000. The VIN was not available.

- Waimamalo, HI, USA

Nov 102015

G6

Headlamps go out and come on frequently while driving at night. Vehicle has to pull over and let headlamps cool before resuming

- Dresden, TN, USA

Nov 082015

G6

Started feeling a popping sound when stoped at a light and or tuning, feels like coming from steering colum..

- Baxter, KY, USA

Nov 032014

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 35 mph with the headlights activated, the driver side low beam headlight failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two separate occasions where the bulb was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure on both occasions. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA