NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Jun 012016

When I tried starting my car it wouldn't do anything so I had to put it in drive and then it started up and that happened to me three times so far it's like it want start unless I turn the ignition and put it in neutral for a drive and I don't think it should be doing that and with my brakes I got new brakes on my car for front and back and it's like I never put brakes on because it's still make noise like I need brakes and that's crazy and I don't think that's good and the car seems like it be moving when it's in park.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Aug 032015

Well I was on my way to work go up a hill and the car started losing speed going up the hill I give it more gas and the motor started knocking I took my foot off the gas and just want up the hill real slow cars was blowing there horn at me I was fill upset about this and come to fine out that part is on recall..

- Sunbury, PA, USA

Jan 012015

In 2013, my car was serviced for a recall that included the gear selector cable for my Pontiac G6. The recall was sent out in order to replace faulty gear selector cables that could break and fail to display the correct gear position. This could lead to the vehicle being placed in neutral when the selector said park. My car underwent the required repairs and then, 14 months later, experienced the exact same issue. Luckily, I was already familiar with the problem, so I was able to apply a temporary fix to my car in order to keep it driveable. However, upon contacting GM, they refused to perform the repair since the recall had expired and the part was no longer covered under the recall warranty. It seems that although GM did a recall, the repair that they required their dealers to perform did not address the actual problem.

- El Lago, TX, USA

Jul 012015

Drove car to work, approx. 8 miles. Put car in reverse and backed in. Went to put car in park and shifter just slid through the gears. Car will not restart. Car is stuck in reverse. Had car towed to dealership. They have to replace the shift cable and bracket. I see my model car has recalls for this problem, but it is not showing under my VIN#. this should be a recall and I should be reimbursed for these costs. Costs are over $400. (mileage above is approx.) I don't have car at this time. Still being worked on.

- Oyster Creek, TX, USA

Jan 272013

I was pulling out of gas station and my lights wouldnt turn on. Then I got tboned because the stipid light. I paid 250 for insur. To fix vehicle. Now the lights work except the passenger headlight, and the harness connector to the light bulb keeps melting & burning out the headlight. I spent over 100 in replacement bulbs & connectors not incl. The labor. Ive heard other G6 owners have similar issues!!

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 262014

G6 6-cyl

Was driving and, car started to shake and kept missing gears. Rpms were up, exhaust was up but car would not catch and when I was going to park my car in the garage my car would not reverse at all, so I had to push it into the garage. Upon speaking with several Pontiac G6 owners, it is said that the 3,5 R wave plate was very weak, which made this transmission prone to failure in GM products. Updated wave plates were released for clutches in 6T70, the old design wave plates weren't stress relieved and could break with use. For it just being a $10 part this is outrageous that I would need to get a whole new transmission which costs 2-3K. Something needs to be done about this immediately before anyone gets hurt.

- Harwood Heights , IL, USA

Jun 012011

G6 4-cyl

I have had several problems with my 2008 Pontiac G6, one of which I have contacted GM but am unable to pay for a diagnostic at a dealer to then be reimbursed, which is for the actuator on the rear driver' side door that prevents the door from locking and unlocking; a huge safety concern. I have to check the door each time I exit my car, as it being locked or unlocked is completely unpredictable. I have found many posts on where owners share similar stories; along with other costly, safety issues I experience. I will also note some other issues I have regarding the dome light and the door ajar essage. I have to leave my dome light in the off osition because when left on auto, it does not dim and turn off. On days I have forgotten, I find my dome lights on after 12 or so hours of non-use. In an effort to not forget and drain my battery, I leave it off; this leads to my having to get in and out of a dark car at night and early in the morning. Also, the door ajar message displays constantly and often makes a beeping noise in warning. I have read online that there is an issue with the door sensors, causing "door ajar" to appear. Other than being purely annoyed, my concern is that if a door were to ever actually be ajar, I would have no premise to pull over and check. Also, the warning noise does sound at times when the message is not displaying, which leads to distracted driving as I check for issues on my instrument panel and that all passengers are wearing seat belts. All three of the aforementioned issues started within a few months of one another in 2011, shortly after my lease ended and I purchased the vehicle. I appreciate your time in reading my concerns. I have anticipated a day for a recall to assist those like myself, who live on a limited income and cannot address all of these non-debilitating, yet unsafe G6 issues, out-of-pocket.

- Bath, MI, USA

Sep 012009

Letter forwarded from the ftc from congressman dent on behalf of constituent who is requesting assistance with a complaint to GM regarding 2008 Pontiac G6. The consumer stated he had considered trading in the vehicle, but when he took the vehicle to the dealer, he was informed the trunk had been re-painted. The paint index was approximately 2 to 3 times higher in that particular place than anywhere else on the vehicle. Therefore, the trade in value would be reduced. The consumer stated the vehicle was purchased as a brand new vehicle.

- Easton, PA, USA