NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 4) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 132015

Today I was driving down the city street, all of a sudden the passager light came, so I went to the local auto store to get it tested, they informed me that the code came up saying that a sensor needs to be replaced. So I called a dealership. They told me I would not be covered under a recall or anything else. Is work cost 1,100. So now I will not be able to have anyone to sit in the front seat.

- Southagte, MI, USA

Jul 192015

My 2008 Pontiac G6 airbag light has come on and now stayed on for a week. I have had it come on and stay on for a day or so and then shut off. This time it has not shut off. I just got back for the repair shop and was told it is the passenger seat module which is the problem. To get it replaced is over $800. This part being defective shuts the whole airbag system off and now in the event of a crash they will not deploy unless this is replaced. I feel this is a safety issue and have seen and heard of this problem many times. Does someone have to die before a recall is issued?

- Holmen, WI, USA

Jun 072013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at any speed and making a right or left turn, a popping sound emitted from the steering wheel. In addition, the seat belt locked up and the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Monticello, FL, USA

Sep 302011

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact was involved in a crash. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The air bags failed to deploy; however, the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was towed from the scene. The dealer could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lutcher, LA, USA

Sep 012014

G6 6-cyl

The air bag light came on suddenly in September 2014. I took my car to a local dealership. The service person told me that the passenger front seat opds module was faulty. He said the cost to replace the seat bottom would be around $750 for parts and labor. He also explained that the issue was internal and not a result of any damage that I or a passenger in that seat could have caused. I would hope to see GM issue a safety recall notice to repair this problem. I have heard the same complaint from 2 other GM vehicle owners. I know that seems like a very small number, but I live in a town that has a population of 500 people. I'm sure there are more GM vehicle owners in the U.S. experiencing the same problem. This is a safety issue. Lives could be lost in the event of a crash. The passenger air bag is not going to deploy during a crash if the sensor inside the seat is faulty. The seat bottom is obviously defective and should be replaced at no cost to the vehicle owner. I am a very loyal GM owner. I own a 1997 GMC 3500 truck, a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo, a 2006 Chevy HHR as well as this 2008 Pontiac G6. Lastly, even my rv is a chev. I would like to keep the tradition alive as a proud GM owner. Please help to start the process of getting this safety issue addressed.

- Summerfield, IL, USA

Apr 172015

G6 6-cyl

While driving on the highway my drive side airbags deployed without warning. I was able to pull over to the side of the road to make sure there was nothing wrong with my car.

- South Hadley, MA, USA

Apr 012015

Passenger occupant sensor, malfunction, I have no air bags enabled or seatbelt locks due to this failing it's 800 for the whole part, plus labor of 400. I have extended warrant which don't cover this issue. States service airbag. Without this properly fixed, the car has no safety equipment, as in airbags or your seatbelts locking in case of a accident.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Feb 162015

Was going 5 mph becuase of weather, hit ice, ended up doing approximately 25-30 mph in a slide. Threw me in a ditch front first. Did $5671.65 in damages on the front end alone. 63 parts replaced. Airbags and onstar did not activate. If my husband and I were not wearing our seat belts we woulsve been thrown out the windshield. Whole entire front end was in the ditch and back passenger tire was in mid air. When my husband went to get out of vehiicle he fell out of the car and landed under the car. There are pictures taken by the state highway patrol as well as myself. Husband and I were sore from the accident but did not go to the emergency room.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jul 292011

G6 4-cyl

After owning this vehicle for a couple of years, the airbag light would come on sporadically and then go off. I attributed this to doing a self check since the light always has went off in the past. The airbag light is on now constantly and it would appear that the airbag system for the passenger is disabled at all times. I took the vehicle to a dealership and was told that the airbag module under the passengers side seat has failed, and replacement will cost over $1000. The vehicle is basically unsafe to drive as more than likely the airbags will fail to employ in the case of an emergency event. I've went to other web sites to review possible problems with GM airbag systems, and there appears to be a start of an epidemic with these air bag systems not being reported to the NHTSA - to include some deaths.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 022015

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Ponta Gorda, FL, USA

Dec 302014

G6 6-cyl

On Dec. 30th after an oil change the warning system on the dash had the air bag light on and center console said the air bag system needed service. This however went away when the vehicle was shut down at home and never came back till today Jan. 8th, 2015 when there was a passenger but again went off and stayed off after a 5.9 mile trip, the dash indicator read passenger system was not engaged during said trip. The starting mileage on the second incident was 129033.3 and the first was approximately 410 miles prior. I can provide this number if needed as it was recorded for the oil change. This vehicle is currently subject to two other recalls one is 13036 the other 14152, and when the airbag warning started I was already awaiting service on these. As I recall the reports recently in the news related to failings in the passenger system and this seems to be tied to that side as it did not engage as I read it.

- Grafton, WV, USA

Dec 222014

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 35 mph, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated that the air bag system shorted out. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN provided was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Oct 152014

The airbag warning light started coming on and off and the service airbag message. When a person is sitting in the passenger side seat the airbag does not show as being on. Took it to the dealer to have fixed and within 10 minutes of picking it up from the dealership the airbag warning light and service airbag message came on and now doesn't go off. Called arborgast to tell them the problem isn't fixed... they want me to pay again to have it looked at and try to find the issue. There is many complaints on this vehicle concerning the airbag not deploying during an accident or deploying for no reason causing an accident. The repairs aren't fixing the airbag issue. I have a very unsafe vehicle I am scared to drive and I don't want my young teen driving! I'm scared my airbag will deploy while I'm driving and cause an accident killing myself, my family and other innocent drivers. If I'm in an accident the airbags won't protect the people in the car as they are suppose to. Unfortunately, this is my only vehicle and I'm a single parent. I have to risk my life and my young children's lives everyday! recall needed on airbag for Pontiac G6 2008! I pray I don't have a fatal accident from driving this vehicle!

- Troy, OH, USA

Sep 132014

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the rear passenger side tire blew causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a tree. The driver and passenger side front air bags failed to deploy. The passenger was killed on impact. The driver suffered a collapsed lung, broken shoulder and injuries to the arm and head. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's insurance company for further investigation. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Oct 052014

G6 4-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Pontiac G6 new for my daughter, she was driving down the freeway at 80 mph which is the speed limit on I-15 near malad Idaho and the drivers side airbag deployed for no reason at all. Luckily no crash followed but easily could have been. GM hasn't done anything yet or even offered to fix the car. I don't understand why if there had been an injury they would have easily been deemed liable and but with no injury they figure no foul. That could have easily killed my daughter. Now we have a car that we are afraid to drive since it may happen again.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Oct 132014

G6 6-cyl

Service air bag light has been going on & off for several months, took to dealer & stated new module needed $660. Seems to be many complaints regarding this same issue. Recall should be done.

- Mendon, MI, USA

Sep 092014

G6 6-cyl

Replaced blown passenger headlight (lowbeam), then noticed that the wiring to the light was melted with a burning smell. Also several error codes for airbag, engine, tire pressure monitor illuminate on dash. Do not buy this vehicle.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Mar 012008

Pontiac G6 2008 model has numerous issues. "service air bag" warning continuously appears on dash and console. Windshield wipers fail intermittently. Shortage of electric causing failure to power locks/windows. These are all issues recalled on other GM models. These have been an issue since we purchased this vehicle on 2008.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 052014

G6 4-cyl

Service air bag appears on information center.also indicates air bags, disabled.and auto lights off keeps coming on.service traction control appears off and on.we have had 18 mechanical issues with this vehicle.

- Jewett, OH, USA

Nov 282013

G6 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my car jerked to the right and put me and my kids into the ditch. This has happened twice. The second time it did it in the same direction(right) but when I hit the ditch smoke was coming into the heat vents while my kids were in the car. Brought it to the dealership they told me that my power steering line was broke and also I had a major oil leak and that it was a fire hazard. They then told me the price of how much to fix it. It is no longer under warranty. I don't feel I should have to pay for something that seems to be factory mistake. I've also had an incident of my car shutting off while driving. The ignition turned off while driving only going around a corner. I only had three keys on my ring at this time. This car has been the most dangerous car I've ever owned. The brakes and oil light constantly come on. The air bag light has been on since for over several thousand miles. Also the tire psi sensors are always going bad. The hazard switch hasn't worked in over two years as well. But every time I brought the car in even with a warranty they never fixed any of these problems. What's it have to take for this company to make this car safe?? dos to make my to fix their mistakes seems like someone's going to have to get in a fatal accident for something to be done. Also my back left seatbelt locked up on my son squeezing him and it wouldn't release. The belt had to be cut to get him out.

- South Pekin, IL, USA