NHTSA — Steering Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 11 of 14)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 14)

Aug 012011

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While the contact was driving approximately 40 mph approaching a traffic stop signal, the steering wheel began to jerk from side to side and eventually locked. A chime sounded inside of the vehicle with an illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The engine was turned off and upon restarting, the steering wheel operated normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the power steering control module was replaced under the manufacturer's goodwill policy. The manufacturer was notified and they advised there was not a recall related to the power steering malfunction. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 112011

G6 4-cyl

The steering in my 2008 Pontiac G6 is very loose and wobbly. It occasionally pulls very hard in different directions, causing me to lose control of my vehicle and veer off-track. It also makes a popping noise when I turn.

- Middletown, VA, USA

Jun 072011

G6

Failure with power steering in 2008 Pontiac G6 caused me to get into a car accident. The steering wheel wouldn't move, it had locked up. Caused me to lose control of the car doing 360's on the highway, hitting the concrete median about 4 times going 55mph. Front, back, both side panels and entire right side of car were severely damaged. I had severe whiplash as well as slipped disks in my neck. Had about $6,000 worth of repairs but insurance covered it. However insurance did not cover the costs or replace the power steering column. They claimed it was not an issue, however my light had been going on for about a month prior. I cannot afford it so therefore have not gotten it fixed. The power steering issue began in may of 2011. The factory warranty had expired in March.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Aug 122011

G6 4-cyl

I haven't got it fixed yet but power steering comes across my radio everyday.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 302010

G6 6-cyl

There's several issues with this car. First, the front right suspension is bad causing the car to shake. Second, I suddenly lost control of the car on the highway almost causing a severe accident while driving approximately 55-60 mph. It felt like the steering power was no longer working. Last, both back door locks stopped working a couple of months after I purchased the car. I always have to let down the window in order to manually unlock the doors. Most of these issues occurred at 46,000 miles.

- Bedford Heights, OH, USA

Jul 312011

G6 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 and the electric power steering is going out but Pontiac said it was not a covered VIN# I found this and a letter that said there is some thing wrong. The extended warranties will cover the 2005, 2006 and 2008 models of the Pontiac G6, Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu maxx; the 2008 Saturn aura and the 2004-2007 Saturn ion. I had a problem with the oil sensor that all the other Pontiac G6's had and they said mine was not covered so I paid to get it fixed now the electric power steering is going out. My wife almost lost control of the car and it is a safety problem and I do not think I should have to pay for there defected part. Steering wheel shakes violently when driving and staying still, almost caused an accident. Here is the same thing that is happening to mine go look. www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2008/Pontiac/G6/steering.the contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the steering shakes while driving at any speed and caused the vehicle to swerve. The dealer was contacted and they advised that the 2008 Pontiac G6 steering failure was not recalled. The VIN information was not available. The vehicle has not been repaired. And steering makes a popping and clunking sound when turning. Is getting worse (louder) as time goes on. The noise is now pretty much every time you turn and steering is becoming more "stiff".

- Byron, GA, USA

Dec 182010

G6

1st incident occurred in December 2010 while turning steering wheel (ex..making turns)..loud clunking noise occurs turning left and right. Took to GM dealership and was told the steering rack and shaft had to be replaced. I've had several new and used cars and never had this type of problem. This is not normal wear and tear repairs. After researching online I see many others have the same problems. This cost me $833 to fix. Now July 2011 the steering wheel shakes violently while sitting at idle. Steering wheel moves left and right by itself while sitting at intersection. Steering to the left is very loose and when trying to steer back to the right is very tight. It is very scary trying driving when this happens and it is difficult to keep the car moving straight. Took it back to the GM dealership and now they tell me the steering box is going to need to be replaced. Estimated cost: $350~. after 1 month wait for the steering box unit arrival/back order. We take the car to repaired and when the GM tech opens the part package they tell us the new part is damaged and we have to wait longer the next part they order. These problems should be covered by & recalled by GM. These are major safety issues and are not normal wear and tear. There are many complaints from others having the same issues with other GM cars that have been recalled. Why aren't the G6 cars included in the recall. I was told by GM the parts are the same with the cobalt, HHR, some Saturn. This is over $1100 out of my pocket to repair the defective parts from GM. Very disappointing.

- Empire, CA, USA

Dec 182010

- Empire, CA, USA

Jul 222011

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the steering wheel began to shake while driving at any speed and caused the vehicle to swerve. The dealer advised that the vehicle steering failure was not a recall. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current miles were 56,000.

- Yonkers , NY, USA

Oct 282010

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while making a turn the steering wheel locked intermittently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,013 and the current mileage was 53,013.

- Racine , WI, USA

Dec 102010

G6 4-cyl

I bought a new 2008 Pontiac G6 and it has a steering problem. The steering wheel steers to the left while driving. Upon braking the steering wheel vibrates and have difficulty stopping. This is very inconvenient and uncomfortable. I am very dissatisfied with my purchase of a new car.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Jun 242011

G6 6-cyl

I own a used Pontiac G6 40thousand miles, . during heavy down pours power steering goes, battery light goes on, then within a minute or 2 the steering kicks back in. This mainly happens when I am turning into a parking lot. I fee it is very dangerous. I brought it back to the dealer the first time it happened and they said there is nothing wrong. I have warranty for another 8 months. Any suggestions. I think it may be the power steering belt slipping! since I am a woman they dismiss my complaint!

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Jun 032011

G6 4-cyl

Steering wheel started shaking on its own. I had difficulty steering. Only seems to happen at low to moderate speed.

- Nicholson, PA, USA

Feb 022010

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph when the power steering warning indicator illuminated with a temporary loss of power steering. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in motion. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they recommended the vehicle be taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was currently being diagnosed by the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mapleville , RI, USA

Oct 092009

G6

Car makes a popping or clicking noise when turning. It also looses power steering suddenly. This occurs every time I drive it. I have attempted to fix the problem by contacting the dealership but expenses would come out of pocket and can't afford it.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

May 052011

G6 4-cyl

Power steering failure 2008 Pontiac G6.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Mar 012011

G6

Steering wheel shakes violently when driving and staying still!!!! almost caused me to have an accident today....

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Feb 222011

G6

My 2008 Pontiac G6 is having severe steering wheel shaking. The steering wheel becomes stiff and starts shaking severely at about 30-40 miles per hour. It just turned over 50000 miles. The shaking of the steering in and out of power causes the car to swerve into the other sides of the road. Major safety issue that has been reported by many people. This needs to be recalled before it causes a death in this family!

- Corvallis, OR, USA

May 172009

G6

Clunking noise from steering column. While turning right or left there is a definite clunking sound. Had it repaired at the dealership and about 6 weeks later when out of warranty, the noise came back.

- Ft Myers, FL, USA

Aug 212010

G6 4-cyl

Power steering sign keeps popping up on my radio. My steering wheel locks up and it shakes all the time even without me driving. I drive a 2008 G6 Pontiac. They need to seriously recall this motors before it causes any deaths.

- Delhi, LA, USA